You Might Like This 263 members · 41 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Minds Eye
Group Admin

A heart-wrenching story of ill-fated lovers, this story does a remarkable job of setting its tone early and binding the reader to its characters and themes. These strings take two well thought-out characters and pull them along to what seems to be the only viable ending, which is in turn rich with its own symbolic gestures and meanings.

auramane
Group Admin

A story that has so mcuh that I don't even know what to talk about first. It's a huge adventure, with romance, political intrigue, magic, mythology, worldbuilding, and more. it has sad moments, and happy moments, and everything in between. Every line is a treat to read, every character is well rounded, and they feel real. As soon as it finally comes to aclose, I'll probably end up rereading it, as there's just so much stuff that I feel like I must be missing. A word of warning though, this story is grim. It rides the line between a happy ending and a sad endingvery finely indeed. I can honestly say I have no idea how this story is going to turn out, and that's just something else to love about it. It has my wholehearted recommendation.

Carapace
Group Admin

One Mare's Worth by Bookish Delight

Well, this is awkward.

I've been a bit busy with some things this month, so I forgot to go through and add stories (again). Sorry all, but I was swamped with work and a couple hockey tryouts. But on to the fic!

This... Just wow. Not going to lie, Moondancer and Twilight gave us an actual honest hint of shipping in the show—no, Slice of Life with Lyra and Bon Bon doesn't count, sit down. But the way Moondancer broke down, how much value she placed in Twilight being at her party was telling. Recall, it wasn't "Well, Twilight showed up, but at least I have you guys", she specifically pointed to Twilight not showing up as the reason she turned inward.

Bookish did something both terrible and amazing at the same time: she built on what Moondancer and her friends went through to plan that party, how the girls recognized her attraction to Twilight Sparkle and helped set her up with the best possible chance to act on it. And knowing the episode the way we do, knowing how that day ends, it's not a kick to the feels—it's like Bookish walked up to your front door, knocked on it, and, when you answered, she hit you in the feels with a bloody crowbar. But don't let that scare you away.

The way she did it was fitting. There wasn't an over blown show of emotion of how "lovey dovey" Moonie was. It felt truly genuine, and that makes the emotion hit the reader even harder.

In fact, I have a challenge for those of you who give this one a chance, the same one she gave on her blog: after you read through it, go watch Amending Fences and try not to cry.

Be sure to give her my regards.

Meridian Prime
Group Admin

You know, I honestly thought I had my spotlight for this month sorted right from the start. I had, after all, read what was easily one of the top 5 best stories I'd ever read on this site - and the only reason I don't place it higher than that is the nagging suspicion I've forgotten some fantastic fic I read once. But not even halfway into the month, I made the mistake of opening up Through The Well Of Pirene on my kindle - and as much as I love Contraptionlogy!, I have to give it to this story too. So sorry, Noble, but this month I have not one, but two spotlights for you fine folk.

Contraptionology!
By Skywriter

&

Through The Well Of Pirene
By Ether Echoes

Hoo.
Okay then. From the top.

Contraptionology! takes Mad Science and Ponies, and throws them into a big vat of Very Good Writing. The prose combines the shenanigans and jargon so needed for the Mad Science portion of the setting with the warmth and wit of Ponies - and adds in a strong moral about the nature of change, both good and bad, and how to handle it. I'd be more astonished by the life lesson thrown into the midst of death lasers and mecha-bunnies if it wasn't so seamlessly done.

And that's really the main selling point of this story, and why I consider it one of the best I've read on this site. It's not that it does all these (great) things well - it does them damn near perfectly. There are so many components in this that are done so well that they would elevate any other story to greatness. But here, they just add to the whole experience. I can't single out the amazing characterisation, because the world-building is just as good. I can't single out the humour, because despite how wonderfully it is woven into nearly every line, the serious moments of the story are just as brilliant.

I think you get the point.
Now go read the damn thing.

As for our next story, well. I may have praised Contraptionology! for it's excellent world-building, but even it can't really compete with Through The Well Of Pirene there. I am being completely serious when I say that I have rarely seen a world so lovingly crafted in my life, let alone in the pony fandom. The characters too, are utterly engrossing - but here is where I explain the need for two spotlights. You see, while they are written very well regardless (Celestia in particular), the canon characters do not take centre stage here. In fact, few pony characters do. Contraptionology!, for all the mad science, is firmly centred in the world of FiM. The story never leaves Ponyville, and is completely focused on the Mane 6 and their trials and tribulations.

Pirene, on the other hand, is not. Certainly Ponyville appears, as do many FiM characters, and the majority of the story takes place in the world of Equestria, but the scope and focus is so much bigger than that. The ponies are a part of the whole, not the whole itself. The stories, too, differed greatly. Where Contraptionlogy! was a joy to read, the prose and narrative practically flowing, Pirene was incredibly tense, hooking the reader in, and not letting go all through the gut-roiling ride. These stories are fundamentally different, and to choose between them was downright impossible.

Much like Contraptionlogy!, Pirene delivers a very powerful moral, but in a very different way. Skywriter captured the constant struggle between the old and the new with a characteristic deftness, but Ether Echoes take a more direct route. Pirene tackles a subject that is often downplayed in fantasy fiction head on - that when people (or ponies) live through momentous events, it has an effect on them. I think, perhaps, I worded it better in my original review - so I will leave you with these parting words:

[It tells us] that our actions have consequences, and however terrible they are we must face them - and that for all that we may love a good "happily ever after", life doesn't work like that. Even when it seems to, even when "all is well that ends well" - time and experience leave their mark. If you love literature, if you love stories, and if you love ponies (and really, if you don't like one of the above, why are you here?), please go read this.

Happy reading. :ajsmug:

ThatOneWriter
Group Admin

It was a toss-up between this one and The Games We Play, but I'm going with this one.

As I said in this month's rec thread, this story is unique, well-written, and the author resisted the temptation of just handing the characters a happy ending like most others would. It is about Flash having a crush on Twilight, but don't worry, it works. Flash isn't a tool or a cardboard cutout in this one. He's a solid character here. The cliched conflict about Twilight being a princess--and therefore above her would-be lover--makes sense here, since society is in a caste system.

If you like alternate takes on Equestrian society and hints of romantic feelings, this one's for you. A lot of setup and worldbuilding was required, so there's not as much story progression as the wordcount would imply, but there's still a good amount going on. I eagerly await the sequel, as I'm sure it will build upon the concept even further. Normally, I'd wait until the story's finished, but I might break that rule and read it anyway.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5