Fanfics for Family 51 members · 166 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
Bluegrass Brooke
Group Admin

Hello and welcome to Fanfics for Family! I'm so excited to welcome you all to the group. So here's the introduction thread. I encourage all of you to be as silly as you want; it's not meant to be serious.

Here's the jump off point.

Your preferred name on the site

Why you decided to join Fanfics for Family

If you're a writer, what's your favorite story you've written (doesn't have to a childrens/family fic). Why?

What is the difference between a children's fiction and a family fiction? Do you have a preference for either?

Favorite children's television show (or story if you don't have one)?

Favorite family television show (or story)?

What you'd like to see done with this group

A fun fact about yourself!

I'll start out :pinkiehappy:

Name: Bluegrass Brooke or Bluegrass if you prefer

Why I founded Fanfics for Family? To create a library of quality child friendly stories for bronies of all ages to enjoy and to grow as a children's/family author.

Favorite story? Right now it's What Changes May Come. It's a very slow paced slice of life/romance story with Cheese and Pinkie Pie. It is not child approved however. Why it's my favorite? I've spent a lot of time and effort into making it a true slice of life story, and I feel it's a good representation of my abilities.

In my opinion, a children's fiction is one whose target is children, and is not intended to cater to an older audience. The messages are often simple, the plots not overreaching and generally episodic in nature. It is a story viewed by children, but not largely watched by adults (unless they are watching it with a younger audience). A family fiction is one that engages all kinds of age demographics. Though on the surface they appear to be children's shows, the amount of details woven into the story touch a wider audience beyond children. Shows like these draw in all kinds of viewers and are fun for the whole family. As you've probably guessed I prefer family fiction, though I still enjoy children's fiction.

My favorite children's show hands down is Rugrats. Nothing kindles my inner child like all the crazy adventures Tommy and the gang get themselves into. As a child (and still today), I had a very active imagination. I loved to see a television show about kids playing imagination together just like I did. Even today, I enjoy the episodes and the nostaligic goodness they bring.

Favorite family show would definitely be Avatar the Last Airbender. Oh my Celestia, this is the very epitome of epic family show goodness. The characterization, the overarching plot, the loving details and stellar animation :rainbowkiss: I watched every episode as they came out with my entire family, and we all were equally obsessed with it. Good times, good times.

I'd love to see this group grow to be the one that people turn to when they want to share their love of the fandom with the younger generation. Or where they go to find a fun story when they need a boost. I want to see us becoming a positive force on the site dedicated to improving ourselves, our writing, and the quality of our work.

Fun fact? I'm a very old fashioned kind of person. I'm not stuck in the past, I revel in it. So you might see me perusing a garage sale or two, sending actual letters, writing thank you notes, learning a practical skill like carpentry or sewing, chatting with the old folks, and of course driving and riding horses.

I welcome everyone to the group and would love to hear about you all. For those posting stories, you can put them in more than one category.

Dragor

I have a story with rhyming and Sweetie Belle's adventures that a whole family could perhaps find enjoyable. Contests could also be fun.

If you're a writer, what's your favorite story you've written (doesn't have to a childrens/family fic). Why?
It's the story I'll be publishing in May: Twilight Hugs Her Friends.

It's about realizing how some things that you took for granted are actually valuable. It teaches the lesson that you should appreciate the things you have, as one day they may all disappear.

What is the difference between a children's fiction and a family fiction? Do you have a preference for either?
Children fiction doesn't have adult references as children aren't expected to know them. I prefer family fiction as it contains the themes that majority can find enjoyable.

Ben 10. I like how open the world in it is. Earth is not the limit.

MLP for sure.

A proofreading thread for fics that are about to get published. It would be a way for fics to really shine on their release date. It's a tragedy when an author finds a mistake after 1000 people have already read the story with the mistake in it.

I use Google Doc to spell check all the comments I make on forums (including this one). I'd hate having to fix my mistake after 10 people have already seen my comment with the mistake in it.

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Admin

3240331 Great idea about the proofreading thread. Feel free to start one up. I know I could always use a proofreader and I'm sure other authors feel the same way. Wonderful idea :pinkiehappy: Welcome to the group!

Your preferred name on the site:
As the little label on the side says, Leafall.

Why you decided to join Fanfics for Family?
Overall, I'm interested in how this group grows. I joined because I'm happy to find a place for stories that can be enjoyed by any age. While I do like reading more serious and mature (no, not that kind of mature) stories, I do enjoy ones that are more lighthearted and innocent.

Also, because of contests.

Well, if by 'story you've written', meaning a story that is published on the site, I only have one. And I can't say it's my own favorite one, really.

Different people have a different way of understanding this...The way I see it, is that every children fiction (movie, television, book, etc.) is a family fiction, but not every family fiction is a children's fiction. It's kind of like a square and a rectangle. Every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square. To explain: To me, children's fiction is more targeted at, well, children. It has themes that are safe and understandable for them. But it should be enjoyable for the whole family. Now, family fiction, to me, doesn't necessarily have to be completely children-friendly. For instance, it can be a show that is a little darker, more difficult to understand for children, but if you can gather up your family to sit down, grab a big bowl of popcorn and enjoy it all the way through, then it's family fiction.

I hope this was at least somewhat understandable...

Only one thing comes into my head. This is a movie, but Totoro.

I have a couple of these. There is MLP (not surprising), Doctor Who, Merlin, a lot of Ghibli movies and many more...

Right now, I can't really give a big opinion, but perhaps some sort of lectures/guides/tips would be cool.

(Eek! Sorry, I'm all out of ideas...)

When it's late, and I lay in bed, I love to be philosophical. I'll just snuggle with a blanket and think about life, and no matter how depressing that sounds, it's usually how I get myself on track. Sometimes I'll mention those things to my friends, but they'll just say I take things too seriously. Which is not exactly true. I'm actually constantly joking around them and just being overall eccentric. But then I lose all of these 'skills' when I get on the Internet... :facehoof:

Basically, I'm just a really weird person.

Dramacolt
I'm interested in writing stories for a wide variety of audiences. As you can tell by the story I added, I have had experience with writing some kid/family friendly literature. However, most of my work has now been focusing on some more serious subject matters and themes. I think this group can help me learn new ways to write stories that the whole family or any age group can enjoy.
I love all my children; I simply can't choose a favorite.
I think children's fiction tends to cater more to kids specifically, while family fiction has more references and themes that everyone can relate to, laugh at and enjoy. I prefer the latter, simply because I personally think everyone can learn from it.
My nostalgia will always ring true for the "Rugrats." Though I do make "Spongebob" references on a daily basis. :trollestia:
"My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic". But I'm sure anyone with eyes can see that.
Perhaps a guide on how to properly write a story suitable for kids and families. Or at least a "Do's and Don'ts" list for the genre.
I'm definitely an artistic kind of writer. So you can expect most, if not all, of my works to be a bit surreal at times, but still carry a great deal of meaning. If you read any of them closely with an open mind, you might even notice a lot of symbolism I always throw in.

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Admin

3252858 Welcome to the group! Hmmm. Good idea about the guide and whatnot. I'm gonna do a bit more research and post something like that soon. Check out our contest, it should get your feet wet writing a little more upbeat stories. There's absolutely no reason not to enter (the stakes are too low). So happy to have a new member.

3240096 Hi there! :pinkiesmile: I'm Snowfeather, also known as Kidapult.

I joined this group because I've never really liked any mature stories. I'd like a group with none of that.

My favorite story I've written? I only have one published story. I guess I'd say that one.

What is the difference between a children's fiction and family fiction? Don't ask me, ask someone more experienced!

Favorite children's television show? I'm still a child, so I'd say MLP.

Favorite family television show? I only watch My Little Pony, so I'd say that again.

As an earlier user said, I'd like to see a guide. Specifically a guide on writing family fanfics.

Fun Fact: My 'introduction to My Little Pony episode' was The Crystal Empire Part 2. As you can imagine, I was very, very, very confused. :rainbowhuh:

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Admin

3419142 Welcome. When I get more time, I'll try and write a guide. For now, I'm a touch busy. So, look forward to it. Love to see kids taking an interest in fanfiction. It really builds your writing skills! So glad to have you in the group :pinkiehappy:

3419252 Thanks. I'm glad to browse the stories here!

Axel (I guess)

For the same reason that I founded The Closest of Friends . I am very interested in the idea of gathering particular types of story that are normally hard to find.

I believe that family fiction is any fiction that delves into action, deep emotion and/or complex themes while still being fully appropriate for children. How to Train Your Dragon is a movie that is drastically different from the book series it is based on. While the movie is an excellent example of family fiction, the books are definately children's fiction. The vast majority of my favourite fiction is family.

Favorite children's television show

show- Jacob Two-Two
movie- Ponyo

Favorite family television show

show- Avatar: the Last Airbender
movie- Frozen

Bronydad is fine.

Our mutual friend AxelsVirtue referenced the group and I liked the look of it. In case you couldn't tell by my name, I write mainly everyone stories, and most are written for my daughter.

My favorite story is Love Your Difference, which is the story I will be adding to this group as soon as I'm done here. It is very dear to my heart, and in it, Fluttershy copes with the same issues that I myself dealt with.

Oh gosh... He-man, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, the list goes on and on.

My daughter and I love to watch most everything that plays on the Hub (or whatever the new name for it is now). Mostly, MLP, Pound Puppies, and Littlest Pet Shop.

I'll be completely honest, I'd like to see some more activity here. This group seems almost dead. If I start seeing activity, I'll do whatever I can to try to increase the group's members.

I'm very well known at work for my random dances. They can happen at any moment, are completely ridiculous, and never fail to crack up everyone who is around me.

Bluegrass Brooke
Group Admin

3770713 Welcome to the group. :twilightsmile:

Yes, I would agree we're not too active at the moment. If you've any ideas for forums or guides, feel free to post. I don't have much time to write them between school and my own stories. It's turned into more of a library than anything else. That was sort of my intention in the first place, a library of child friendly stories. Though, it would be nice to have some forum activity too.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12