~The Decent Writers Club~ 1,674 members · 9,286 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

I want more comments and so I want some tips from the big shots on how to get more comments.

3258740 You could try promoting your story on 'I just want a comment' group.

3258770 That's true, I think I already have, but I'll try again, thanks:twilightsmile:

Comments are few and far between at the best of times. The only surefire way to get them is to write something controversial or so bad that the grammar police are forced to speak up.

Otherwise, the best way to at least encourage them is to make sure you reply to anyone who gives you a comment. Even if you don't have much to say in return, you can at least thank them for taking the time to comment. If you're present in your comments section, people will appreciate it. Also, try to start conversations. If they liked your story, ask them what their favorite part was. If they didn't and weren't specific about it, ask them to elaborate.

Or, if you don't care about your reputation at all, you can always delete a few comments and start a flame war :trollestia:

Otherwise, the best way to at least encourage them is to make sure you reply to anyone who gives you a comment. Even if you don't have much to say in return, you can at least thank them for taking the time to comment. If you're present in your comments section, people will appreciate it.

This has been the most effective for me. I get a decent amount of comments on my stories because I tend to them like little gardens. Little gardens filled with words.

Put in an insestual foalcon sexual slave bestiality torture rape scene with a bunch of homophobia and some necrophilia out of nowhere.
There will be comments galore.

I do, my comments are coming pretty well on fimfiction, I want to know how to get people to review on fan fiction.net or deviant art.com, I have very few comments on those sites, this will probably be the best way to do I'm sure.

3259607 And they're all going to be from him cleaning his keyboard. :raritywink:

3258740 Long time no see Jeremy. I would agree with Noble and Truffles here. Including jokes and videos in your reply can also help.

3258740 With every story that I publish, I also include comment section mini-games that readers can play after reading the story. Not sure if those are the kind of comments that you like, though.

I've been struggling with the same issue for my own story and eventually accepted that most people just don't comment or upvote, they simply read the story. It's what I do most of the time. I will admit that the "mystery" aspect of my story did a good job of getting conversations going.

Not a bad idea, but I feel it can be a double edged sword. I can easily see such games "cheapen" a story, especially if the reader allows the outcome of those games to affect the story. While guessing games are great, I wouldn't try to directly suggest them.

3927043 The games are mostly just:

Does this chapter remind you of a certain song? Post the link to it in the comments.

3259605 FimFiction is pretty much as good as it gets for comments. Unless you can draw, DA doesn't care. Fanfiction.net is, well, Fanfiction.net. "Amazing chapter, keep writing!" is the realistic limit of ambition there for almost everyone.

Ah, gotcha, sorry for the confusion. It's definitely something you wanna keep super simple then.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16