Human in Equestria 16,826 members · 16,982 stories
Comments ( 58 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 58

The author of the fic "Darth Vulcan" quit FiMFic, basically. Some guy over on 4chan's /mlp/ had all of RealityCheck's fics stored up. What I'm wondering is if anyone else had them saved, and would be willing to share them.

4964965 I want to know too.

Eyy, thanks!
Should I take this thread down now, orr?

4964965 It saddens me to learn Reality Check has left Fimfiction. My question now, who is going to continue his work? Especially "The Rise of Darth Vulcan". I hope somebody does since it's a fantastic story.

4965293 Guys...it's on Archive Of Our Own. That and every other fic he has.

http://archiveofourown.org/users/RHJunior/pseuds/RHJunior

If you know a story's ID on fimfiction, you can easily check it on https://fimfetch.net/

For example "The Rise of Darth Vulcan" had an ID number 149723, so you can just go to https://fimfetch.net/story/149723 and download the entire thing.

4965326 Thanks for the link.

So nothing of value was lost?

Another asshole off the site and into obscurity.

Neat.

4964965 So he took his ball and ran home crying.

Can't say I'll miss him.

You know, even if most of the times I disagreed with RC's points of view and the way he expressed over anyone not praising him, I always admired his compromise to his stories, his readers and the pair he had when coming to stand for what he believed for.

And then he f*cking quits and I realize that said respect has no base now.

I always admired his compromise to his stories

I don't understand this phrase. What?

I always admired his compromise to his stories, his readers and the pair he had when coming to stand for what he believed for.

You were giving him way too much credit than what he deserves until that last part.:ajsmug:

I can't say it was fair to his followers to remove all his completed stories which just shows how much respect he had for his readers. RC excuse for doing so was that he didn't want his stories to bring ad revenue to this site...

"If I can't have fun, no one can."
Good riddance.

4965744 Jesus, the downvotes on all of these comments. Not sure if they're people who hate Reality Check or trolling. Now his blog is full of people insulting either him or other people. Same shit probably happened on his other stories and I believe someone said people go to his stories just to insult him. Not too sure about that though. He's had enough of all of this shit by now.

4965753 Ah, lettem hate. RC had his reasons; legit ones as far as I'm concerned. At least he's still writing, if on a different, more author-friendly site. He gave everyone plenty of forewarning.

(Cue the torches and pitchforks any time now)

Dropbear
Group Admin

Meh. The way he stuck around to constantly argue with people in his blog and lament his poor misfortunes really doesn't cause much sympathy. If he'd handled it better, like 'not-typing-in-all-caps-and-calling-people-cockmunchers-amongst-other-insults-for-taking-issue-with-him-deleting-his-finished-fics' better, then maybe I'd give more of a shit.

Still, he pretty much was 'drama' wherever he treaded, rightly or wrongly.

(As for the complaints about the mods, who hasn't been on the receiving end from time to time. I know for one that I'm not exactly in the good books of one particular one...)

4965769 Yeah and there was something about the mods not doing shit about it which pissed him off, especially when he addressed the problems. Fucking haters, I'm gonna miss RC and his stories in this site.

wlam #20 · Jan 7th, 2016 · · 4 ·

RealityCheck is a hateful, spiteful asshole who constantly insulted people to their faces and then deleted or otherwise suppressed anything that called him out on it. Even if you two are sort of on the same political end of the scale, you really shouldn't defend him, just over how much of an asshole he is. He called my family dog shit once and told me I had been badly raised, only to block me from his story's comments when I called him out on how hypocritical that was. That's the kind of person we're talking about here.

Another asshole of the site, and his moderately competent stories still preserved. Win/win, in my book.

4966126 We are not talking about the man behind the author, wlam, but the author and the stories he wrote. I have my own opinions about him, but even then, I have to call BS on what I see as unfair practices by site mods.

I'd do it for you if I thought you were being treated poorly by the powers that be, too.

Well, I suppose I can agree with that much. I can't really say there are actually any particular instances of him being treated unfairly by the stuff in terms of administrative stuff, though - on other hand, I've seen at least one person get temporarily banned from the site because she posted an announcement that she'd be doing a rifftrax-style review of his stories. With someone exploiting the site rules for their own benefit like that, I can't find a lot of pity for them in me.

In all honesty, when it comes to the rest he's simply a bellicose and unpleasant type who brought a lot of it on himself. The reason so many people dislike him is because he seems to have made it his personal mission to annoy and offend as many people as possible. I've talked a lot of people from all walks of life who'd normally share his position on the political or religious end and who still thought he was a giant, dislikable ass. It's not unfair treatment if someone does his level best to provoke people into it.

He complains a lot about being treated unfairly... after constantly complaining and attacking (passive-aggressively or otherwise) the site mods and purposely skirting the rules. He's also pulled shit like delete his own blogs and accuse the site mods of doing it, which is hilarious and sad at the same time, and has censored information on his blogs for the sole purpose of slanting the story in his own direction so that no matter what the site mods do, don't do, say, or don't say, his followers will hate them for it. All the while, he personally attacks people over the slightest disagreement, because that's the classy thing to do.

He's not being treated unfairly, and if he were, he would deserve it - because he is treating everyone else unfairly, especially the mods. In every way, he reminds me of the most disgusting of youtube conspiracy theorists.

Good riddance to him.

I don't personally find any redeeming value in his writing, especially as most of it is spin-offs from other people's work (e.g. Past Sins), but it's still available, so you have no cause for complaint about that. Even if you did, the person to blame is him.

4966296 If I may borrow a quote from Veylon on RealityCheck, in an endeavour to keep my personal opinions to myself...

Oh, absolutely. He's an asshole. He's a smug self-righteous jerk.
But the world isn't going to end because some guy is being not nice on the internet. However viscerally satisfying it might be to see someone come down hard on him, making up a bunch of rules and inflicting them on everyone else as a post hoc justification to do so is considerably worse than leaving him free to be nauseating. As it was, he was only a pain until you blocked him. Now the pain's being spread to everyone.

4966319 ...aaand I just spelled endeavour like I do when writing a paper.

Nice.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I honestly have no idea what you're referring to there.

In all honesty, when it comes to the rest he's simply a bellicose and unpleasant type who brought a lot of it on himself.

Fuck, looks like our time here is coming to an end.

There's a reason why the thing that bothers me the most about him is how he insists on making himself the victim in all of it. When people call me a jerk, I at least own up to it.

There's a reason the thing that bothers me the most about him is how he insists on making himself the victim in all of it. When people call me a jerk I at least own up to it.

GODDAMIT WLAM now it's just me!

wait... he was RH Junior? the questor webcomic guy? dangit, i had to stop reading his comic cause it got too political.... that and it never updates anymore.

the dude was using fimfiction as a soapbox for his political and religious views, and he claims he doesn't use strawmen... (his definition is its only a strawman if your wrong). basically, hes a Special Snowflake, and anyone who dares disagree with him is Wrong.

i had to stop reading his comic cause it got too political.

That's certainly a habit he brought along with him when he came here, then.

The worst part is, this story was honestly a decently entertaining read when he wasn't being political and concentrated on the adventure and comedic aspects of it. Except he never could stop himself from getting political anyway and every single time it made the entire chapter suck.

The money thing is the dumbest of all complaints as the mods are not paid. Additionally, I think his choice to leave was immature. Even if everything he said is true and that he truly is a victim. I feel that leaving is a mistake. One cannot change a community in anyway if one leaves the community. To me this is equivalent of leaving the US to go to Australia simply because one does not like who the President of the US is. One cannot work for a better tomorrow by simply running away form ones problems like a spoiled child. I do feel that a more democratic method or at least recourse to an admin should be possible when it comes to issues with mods. In essence if the Mods are the police who polices the police.

Oh, sorry, my english stumbling again.

I meant that, despite RC's general attitude towards others, he (wait, he or she?) was a good and creative writer with a passion for his art and a dedication to his stories. I admired that until now, when he erased it all, including his own readers' comments and feedback, which are now lost forever.

As explained above, even if RC was probably a rambling child throwing a tantrum each five minutes or so, he was also a dedicated creative. Even when I don't agree with someone, when it comes to creativity and dedication, I can only admire.

Or could if RC hadn't betrayed his very own readers and friends by literally destroying the years of history they shared. I mean, this is like George Lucas decided to destroy the original copies of Star Wars each time he's criticized, which would be the ultimate douchebag move when you think about it.

I commented on that blog of his how literally the only people hurt by this are the people who liked his stories and supported him, because all the other ones presumably wanted him gone anyway and will only applaud this before going on with their lives as if nothing had happened.

Naturally enough, he deleted it.

I'm the only one who finds that description terrifyingly fitting to Dakari King Mykan, from My Little Unicorn's (in)fame?

Not mean to insult, at all. RC at least knows how to write an engaging story. But still ,the parallel is unsettling, to say the least.

Saw it coming. The moment you said "blog of his".

P.S.: Final week of exams. Working on Actually, I'm Dead's next chapter. Sorry for the massive delay.

Yeah, so did I. Figured it deserved saying anyway. Got to +5 upvotes or so before the comment disappeared! :rainbowlaugh:

Also, no biggie, you did tell us that the semester was running late for you this year. Looking forward to it once you get the time.

4966324 Basically, RC may be an asshole, but in the end, what is created to stomp on him can be used to stomp on us as well. It may be nice to see him squirm, but it could be any of us on the chopping block next for some trumped up reason.

Think of it like stripping people who are of a particular political persuasion opposing yours of their First Amendment rights because they are "subversive, and scant other details given. It may feel nice to see that happen, but what's to stop it happening to you?

What's good for the goose, and all that.

4966908 He. His name is Ralph.

What I meant is that I still haven't figured out what these apparent rule changes are. While I would certainly agree with you on basic principle, I can't really judge until I've seen them. It might just be that he exploited some kind of stupid loophole and that this gave the impetus for fixing it. It's a stretch, but I've seen it happen before.

Think of it like stripping people who are of a particular political persuasion opposing yours of their First Amendment rights because they are "subversive, and scant other details given. It may feel nice to see that happen, but what's to stop it happening to you?

God the paranoia is real.

4968074 What was created to stomp on him?

Okay, journalist here, so I'll ask the absurdly obvios question: What rules were changed and/or implemented with the explicit intent of affecting RC?

And since we're at it, how can these rules affect us all in the same way they affected RC?

That's the part I'd like to know, really.

4968282 I was merely using an analogy. Contain the calamity that is your mammaries.

Believe it or not, I'm actually refraining from commenting any more on the subject. Take it as evading, but I'm in actuality talking to a mod on the subject, and out of respect for him, I'm zipping the lip until the conversation is over.

4970015 I hope you answer when the conversation is over.

Can you at least point which item in the list of rules you find easy to abuse do drive people away?

You have any idea. Any. Idea. On how many politicians I have seen trying to ge taway fro saying the truth using the "not offend" card? And I'm from Chile, so that includes covering a dictatorship's crimes against humanity.

But let'say, for the sake of the answer, that you're saying the truh, and that you don't want to hurt a friend. In tjat case, I will reformulate my questions so the answers doesn't involve naming anyone besides the aforementioned RC.

What rules were changed and/or implemented with the explicit intent of affecting RC? And since we're at it, how can these rules affect us all in the same way they affected RC?

I would like to also point out that the second answer potentionally affects us all, FiMFiction's users, so I will ask you for as much objectivity as possible.

Ok, never really knew about this guy going away but could anyone continue Darth Vulcan? Sure it is very similar to Malidus (sorry for misspelling the story), but I enjoyed reading it because it had a lot less gore than the original. It was also updating faster compared to the original.

That kind of thing isn't really allowed here unless the author passes on the story to someone else, I'm afraid. For what it's worth, the author hasn't really abandoned the story. You'll just have to visit a different site if you want to read any further updates, should there ever be any.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 58