Cyberpunk Equestria 496 members · 115 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Robipony
Group Admin

First off it let's adress the fact that I love both Cyberpunk 2077 and Edgerunners. Sure the game had a really bad start, but now it's practically a completely new game and the Edgerunner anime was great and very well written.

I love the atmosphere, the retro techno music, the cool cybernetics and the way culture kind of blends together to make such an interesting world. On top of that it has helped motivate others to create cyberpunk based content (games, art, books, etc...).

So, what do I have to hate about it?

Well, really it's not so much the franchise's fault, but I hate how when you try to talk about Cyberpunk, people typically assume you're speaking about the franchise and not the genre. I get the confusion, I just hate that it's an issue.

Does that make sense? :rainbowlaugh:

Does that make sense? :rainbowlaugh:

YES :twilightsmile:

I am more interested in the 'literary movement,' myself.

Robipony
Group Admin

I am more interested in the 'literary movement,' myself.

Do you mean in regards to written content in the cyberpunk genre? :pinkiesmile:

Well, really it's not so much the franchise's fault, but I hate how when you try to talk about Cyberpunk, people typically assume you're speaking about the franchise and not the genre. I get the confusion, I just hate that it's an issue.

Does that make sense?

It absolutely makes sense, bro. I love the Cyberpunk 2020 universe(Cyberpunk 2077 is part of the cyberpunk 2020 universe). But there's so much more to the whole cyberpunk genre than just the Cyberpunk 2020 universe. Sharowrun is an awesome setting. Then there are the novels like the Jonny Mnemonic and Neuromancer franchises. There's a cyberpunk novella written 90's, but I can't remember the name of it, where it accidentally predicted our modern day, with everything being increasingly being put behind paywalls.

Do you mean in regards to written content in the cyberpunk genre? :pinkiesmile:

Yes, indeed!

Love the art design, but not the game.

7917490 I had the exact opposite problem when I wrote:

TSweetie Bot annoys Sunny
A century has passed, but the immortal Sunny Starscout still fights for harmony.
Bad Dragon · 4.8k words  ·  37  8 · 700 views

I haven't played Cyberpunk 2077 or watched Edgerunners. I was afraid that me writing genre instead of franchise would trigger some people, and I'd get comments like:

You said that there's no centralized government, but that's not canon!

But you're right. It's not a crossover, so there shouldn't be a need for me to adhere to any of the franchise's canon.

Wanderer D

It's the popular thing atm so it's what goes to people's minds first. Before the video game and the anime, people would've probably defaulted to Blade Runner as a point of reference.

I can get that dude, the title of the game does show itself like an all encompassing leader of the genre which it isn't at all.

Robipony
Group Admin

7917511 I mean I don't let it influence me, I just get tired having to explain to people that cyberpunk is a genre not just a franchise.

7917542 Yeah, it's not a bad game, just wish people were more aware about the subject.

7917521 Indeed. I have a cyberpunkish story that actually takes some inspiration from not just the genre but also from the anime, Dorohedoro, which isn't really cyberpunk, but it does possess some similar themes.

7917507 I like both, but I can understand that. :pinkiesmile:

Robipony
Group Admin

7917495 I've never heard of Jonny Mnemonic before. I'll have to look it up. :raritywink:

They made a movie of it in the 90's. The Neurmancer series is a sequel to the Jonny Mnemonic series.

absolutely. i try to find the aesthetic in virtual chat rooms, and they're all centered around gamers. i try to find retro- or synthwave music with that word, and all i get is the game soundtrack

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13