Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
The Descendant
Group Contributor

Dear Ravens,

As I already have Future and John Perry tied up with Zenith (if I ever finish this next chapter), and Antiquated Anomaly working another piece, I find myself with a dearth of pre-readers.

I was wondering... would anyone out there consider themselves a pre-reader? Anyone looking for such work?

Oh, and let's be clear: I'm talking about work.

I'm looking for someone who:
1.) Has a keen understanding of the English language and its conventions and standards.
2.) Is willing to be brutal. I'm looking for a bully, not a sycophant.
3.) Can articulate their meaning when discussing flaws they believe they have discovered in my works.
4.) Previous experience a definite plus.

So, after putting yourself up against those four conditions, if you feel that you are still up to it, then let me know.

Stay Awesome,
-T.D.

Sounds more like a editor, really.

But, I do pre read for a number of people.

Hit me up. Let's talk.

~Skeeter The Lurker

The Descendant
Group Contributor

Pre-Reading, Editing... yes, I guess you could say that I blur the lines there. Expect a communique' from me soon.

I'll be here.

Ready and waiting.

~Skeeter The Lurker

I would be very interested but since school started just a week ago, english isn't my native language and I have absolutely no experience in these sort of things what so ever, I feel like I wouldn't do a good enough job at that.

Edit: Oh, while I'm at it. What, exactly, is the diffirence between a pre-reader and a editor? I've never really understood the diffirence.

// Sphex

I'd be willing, but I am in college, at the moment.

I'm willing to help. I have a lot of free time anyway, so why the hell not.

I'd be thrilled do it. I've been both editing and reviewing for a while now for many different people, and I daresay that I am getting to be quite good at such things. I can articulate what I see, and I have absolutely no problem with both calling out issues and pointing out things done well. I can keep a schedule. If you're interested, then please contact me.

I like to read things, but critiquing them is not my strong suit.

I'd definitely love to help out! I'm listed under Expert Proofreaders in The Proofreader Group if that counts for anything. I've also been working as a proofreader/editor on a freelance writing website for the past few months. And rest assured I'll be brutal; I never sugarcoat anything when it comes to editing, trust me.

Oh, while I'm at it. What, exactly, is the diffirence between a pre-reader and a editor? I've never really understood the diffirence.

Editing is looking at how the authors is saying something, and suggesting ways to make it better. An editor reads a passage and explains a different way to word it, or better words to use, or even whether it has too much or not enough information.

Editors might also give ideas on how to make the plot flow better, if that's the author's wish.

Pre-reading, or proof-reading as it is called in the technical communications world, is about looking for grammatical mistakes and correcting them. Commas, semi-colons, periods, quotation marks, interrobangs... You need to really know your stuff if you want to be a proof-reader.

I might be too much of a fanboy for this sort of work... Good luck to you. :twilightblush:

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure i'm right about pre-readers and proof-readers being the same thing.

I do know that in the business world, editing is structure and consistency, while proof-reading is grammer and technical stuff.

Maybe "pre-reader" is just an overlying term for both? :derpyderp1:

Yeah, as much as I would like to help, this applies to me too. :applejackunsure:

The Descendant
Group Contributor

Thanks, everybody! I'm leaving this list "open", so please feel free to let me know if you come across it in the future, too!

"Many hands make light the work!"

"Too many cooks spoil the soup."

We'll find a happy medium!:twilightblush:

Mercury, that sounds like fun. I don't dare, though...I've got my songwriting, an epic poem that needs tending, a commissioned rap to finish, I'm already wrestling school assignments... I mean, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to blame for it.

I'm swamped.

Little late...

Grammar and such, I suck at editing. However, I hope I can pre-read about things like pacing and characterization.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18