Into the Black 323 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
shirotora
Group Admin

The Alliance is not one government, but, as the name suggests, an alliance of several nations. The Alliance counsel has no legislative power over the different galactic governments. Instead, a large section of space dominated by human, Aviva, Korg, Ithkan, and Tacig have been designated as “Alliance Space”, a kind of “no-man's-land”. The primary function of the Alliance is to ensure that laws that take into account difference in culture are applied in the various governments and to ensure that those laws that are NOT negotiable are made known to all.

Races:

Humans: Native to Terra, aka Earth, humans have proven to be clever, adaptive, and ambitious. Though evidence of older space fairing races have been discovered, humans were the first of the currently known races to reach the stars.

In the year 2278, the exploration craft Infinity was the first to make contact with a non-terran race. When a strange signal was discovered, theInfinity went to investigate. It was there they encountered the disabled Avivan ship Tu'lalu.

Though many feared a hostile first contact, the circumstance displayed humanity's peaceful intentions. The two crews spent three days speaking for the translation devices to allow communication. For the six days following, they simply talked as they would have a friend from home. It was this friendly, relaxed interaction that the Avivan high council agreed to enter into diplomatic negotiations with the United Terran Space Association, the representative of Earth's governments in space.

Humans still hold the top place of power and influence in the galaxy, and are always seeking more. This has led to mistrust of humans in some races. The human military is the largest in the galaxy. Their approach tends to be to remain out of harm’s way while delivering death from strategic positions. Their technology focuses on efficiently accomplishing their goal with as little resources used as possible.

Aviva: Natives of Vivilus, a rocky world full of tall peaks that dwarf the Himalayas, the Aviva are a winged race that share much in common with birds. They are a very curious and intelligent race. and often produce the best scientists. They and humans have had a close relationship since first contact between the two.

Aviva tend to be very competitive, always looking to challenge themselves whether it be mentally or physically. This aided in the budding relationship with humans, as one of the first things shared between the two races were videos of native sports.

Aviva are fierce fighters that believe mobility is the best way to win a battle. As such, they tend to rely on smaller, more maneuverable craft. They use what they call “swarm tactics”, flying swiftly and in close proximity to each other, to confuse targeting systems and make acquiring a single craft difficult.

Aviva have a 'lion's mane' of feathers on their heads as well as a fine, downy coat across their back and shoulders. These feathers are typically a lighter color such as white, gray, yellow, or light brown, though rarely they can also be red, blue, or a darker brown. All full blooded Aviva have amber eyes

Korg: Natives of the frozen world of Kordo, the Korg are a strong, hearty race. With planet wide temperatures that could be comparable to a Siberian winter, the Korg have evolved a coat dense fur. This harsh environment has tempered the Korg into a tough people that pride themselves on strength and physical prowess.

Though considered a “war-like" race, they are bound by a strict code of honor that they hold in highest regards. For Korg, death would often be better than losing one's honor. Despite their own beliefs, though, the Korg don't hold others to their code, and ignore actions and words from non-Korg that would call for blood from one of their own.

The Korg believe in direct confrontation. Their war craft tend to be large, unstoppable juggernauts. With powerful shields and weapons, Korg ships are a terrifying sight. Even their small-craft tend to be tough and pack a punch. There have been accounts of Korg fighters losing their shields and still taking direct hits, only to come home safely.

Korg have bodies that resemble primates, but faces more akin to felines. Their skin is usually red, blue, or brown, but can also be violet, green, orange, or even yellow. Their fur covers most of their bodies except for the face and chest and tend to be 'metallic' colors such as silver, gold, or copper. Their eyes are usually blue or green, but can also be gray, brown, or black.

Dratali: This theocratic race hailed from Il-Tor, a desert world. Much about this race is a mystery, some of it to themselves. Merely decades before their world was destroyed, the Dratali had just taken their first steps into space. Somehow, in less than forty years, they went from their first manned craft to orbit their world, to FTL technology. The high priests merely said it was “a gift from God”.

After their surrender after the Battle of Avol, Many Dratali decided to actively seek forgiveness. They swore themselves to servitude to families that lost loved ones to the war. These individuals are often treated like slaves, beaten and abused, but others find themselves serving kind people that just want to put past behind them.

The Dratali are driven by their faith in their god Irin Tor-lul. According to Dratali religious text, Irin Tor-lul created life within himself, thus he is the galaxy. Speaking of the Dratali can be confusing as according to them, any who follow Irin Tor-lul are Dratali. Many members of other races have embraced this religion and call themselves Dratali, as the name 'Dratali' means 'children of the creator'.

Despite their behavior during the war, the Dratali tend to be pacifistic. The only thing that can rile the Dratali to fight is when they perceive one to be evil. The war was the result of the belief that life posed a threat to their god, and was thus evil. It's for this reason that many have found it possible to forgive or at least tolerate the Dratali's presence in Alliance space.

Dratali tend to sport green or brown scales accented by reds, blues, and yellows. Most have a thin crest of feathers along the tops of the head and down the spine. Dratali eyes are yellow, brown, red, or green.

Ithkan: An amphibious race from the planet Pukupu, a world with a surface comprised of 90% water. This amphibious race is known for their unique exports and incredible business sense. Few companies are successful without employing Ithkan salesmen.

The average Ithkan stands approximately seven feet tall, but has a very light build. They are varying shades of blue and have green bands across their abdomen. Their eyes are known to be very soft, running in yellow, pink, and orange. Their large hands only have four suction-cupped digits arranged equally distanced around a palm with each finger placed directly across from another.

Tacig: Very little in known about this insect-like race, other than they claim no single planet as their homeworld. Some say they were created by one of the older spacefaring races while others say it's merely a precaution to prevent invasion in the case of war. The Tacig possess a true hive mind, a single consciousness among several bodies that makes them invaluable in many fields. Often found in engineering, construction, and hazardous jobs, the fact that a hive is a single consciousness means they can literally be in many places at once.

All Tacig are identical to the others, having four legs, two arms, and a head with massive, faceted eyes and a long proboscis. Communication is done via wrist mounted interface. This allows communication, though the Tacig's method of speech is mechanical and difficult to understand. It is often said that conversing with a Tacig drone is like talking to a toaster.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Don't forget Klendathu.

The Korg sound cool, although if i could choose, i would choose to be Aviva.

HuskSummers
Group Contributor

1714850 1714893
The movies...absolutely terrible. So terrible that they were good.

As always I much preferred the original book.

Also...Hey there Shiro...long time since i've logged on. Just no time lately with how much i work.

shirotora
Group Admin

1715112 Good to see you back:twilightsmile:

Of course, there are some toasters that would rather fill you full of holes than talk to you, unfortunately

There's also that lovely race that loves hiding in plain sight as vehicles like cars and fighter craft.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

I don't care what you say, the first movie's awesome. In fact, I'm going to incorporate that into my story now. Mwauahahahahah! :pinkiecrazy:

Seeing as Aviva can reproduce with humans, would that require for a far older human species or a precursor populating much of a part of the galaxy? I say this because then the #s of human and Aviva can be greatly increased due to their being other pre-colonized planets with some humans. I say this because 750 years isn't very long to populate planets very much.

shirotora
Group Admin

1715598 Most planets aren't very heavily populated. And the reason human and aviva (and korg) can have kids is genetic manipulation. I'll bring that up later, but it only works when they are similar, so humans and ponies can't use this method, just magic.

wouldn't the inhabitants of avol be on that list as well?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Yeah, dude. I have a load of companies that excel in genetic manipulation, gene splicing, and genetic engineering. It's more expensive than a thirty foot golden wang (probably), but it can be done.

Loved the first starship troopers. Watched it when I was like 6. Also don't humans and ponies have common ancestors? Wouldn't it that make artificial breeding easier? :rainbowhuh:

1717315 1718132

I wasn't trying to cause a problem, however based the Aviva being practically humans with wings, there would have to be some sort of common ancestry.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Time Lords?

shirotora
Group Admin

1721220 Remember, this is science fiction. In reality, finding aliens with two arms, two legs, stands upright, and have a head on top of their bodies would like not happen at all

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Or Time Lords.

"Alien? Then why do you look like us?

"Look like you? No, you look like us. We came first."

In all seriousness, I don't see why it is a necessity to have it at all outside of genetics. It's not as if it is a critical component to anything.

1721988 1722680

I guess I'm just bringing logic to fantasy :rainbowlaugh::twilightblush:

shirotora
Group Admin

1727742 Pretty much :trollestia:

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Not really. We share a lot of genetic traits with swine, apes, and horses, but you don't see us crossbreeding. I hope to god we don't.

I think we need a jellyfish alien race. One that evolved in a nebula.
And an energy being.
And something really big and space-wales esk.
And material-shifters who can change their atomic structure.

I'm just so full of ideas! /):rainbowkiss:(\

2673608 >.> if Shirotoria is OK with me joining then Kaiju[AKA spacehale-sized creatures] will possibly show up.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Wake your ass up: the newbie has something for you.----> 3681151

shirotora
Group Admin

3681456 He's already sent me a PM.

3681456 Calm thyself good sirrah, I've already sent a message. and apaprently it's likely to be non-canon due to a lack of evil[though there is proof of evil ponies like Sombra, the area in question is actually mostly non-ponies, almsot exclusively barring a small handful]

EDIT: Then again I guess I should have clarified. the residents of stormreach live there because they are PERCIEVED as evil, nto that they literally ARE evil. I.e. a pony who specalises in deadly chemicals would be percieved as dangerous or ahve others jump to the conclusion he intends to poison them but in stormReach he doesn't have to worry about such assumptions and can make use of his talent to devise ways to STOP deadly chemicals from being, well, deadly.

Just an example of what I meant.

I'd like to hear about first encounters with the other races aside from Aviva.

Another thing. It seems likely that pre-human space-faring races wiped each other out in wars.
Hmm... Maybe in Time Turner's fic, he finds some ruins or information regarding these races?
I shall now debate doing this...

shirotora
Group Admin

4127087 I'll be going into that later in Nightmare's Dream

Journeyman
Group Contributor

I'll have something for you too.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30