Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 40 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 40

Is there an agreed name for the planet that Equestria is on? So far as I know there isn't.
If there is, what is it.
If there isn't could people suggest some names for it. This assumes that you take into account the various different races on the planet eg: Ponies, Buffalo, Horses, Minator etc...

I've heard it called "Equus" more often than not, but it's up to you really.

Also, who says it's a planet? Might as well think outside the box.

1120682 Myth-Tera, literally mythical earth.

You could also do something similar to Disk World. A large flat plane atop four elephants who are intern atop a giant turtle swimming through the aether

Wow... that was quick.

1120685 Equus is a good one.
1120686 Possibly.
1120691 Logical but to boring

I want the story to be a blend of some of the best Sci-fi shows of the last 15 years. The name needs to be one that can be said, spoken and, most importantly, read without it feeling clunky or out of place.

Equestria isn't a planet.

It's bowl shaped. :trollestia:

On a serious note, there isn't really any standard. I know of one fic that called it "Avol" as a plot point.

But think about Earth for a moment—it's called earth. Not a fancy name at all. More of a descriptor really. It's the same with our moon—it's called "Moon". Our sun is called "Sun".

Even if we go back to ancient languages, the pattern remains—Gaia (earth/ground), Helios (sun) etc.

From the Equestrians point of view, it would probably be just the earth to them, as they are. Probably ignorant of stars and planets and outer space and what not.

But that's just my two bits on the subject.

Sci if and easy to say? How about Concordia? It's Latin for Harmony, and you could say its named after the being who, according to pony religion, created the world.

... That's actually my headcanon now.

1120703 :twilightangry2: Yourself. There's such a thing as creative liberty. Alt dimensions and non-cannons for example. Honestly its up to Event what the world of her writing takes the form of. If someone wanted they could make Equestria something akin to whovile. A world all its own in a snowflake, or hay seed in this case XD

Well Pinkie/chancellor Puddinghead calls it earth.

SAGC-SSyS-000001.3 [Sol III], Terra, Earth, Manhome, etc...

1120724 Concordia is cool... but what about Discordia? You never know...

3rd Rock From The Sun? :twilightblush: Hehe

Oh, I also like to just call it the World, cos I always go with the idea that it isn't really a planet. just cos. Plus, the World just looks cool with the cap :twilightsheepish:

Hey, I never said that it was correct, only what they believed :trollestia:

I can also tell you this wondrous way to predict earthquakes using sheep's bladders.

As for the name; Equis, Equus, Earth, any of them work.

I've seen some folks call it "Gaia" in their fics and art and/or comics. Myself, where all of that is concerned, in my head-canon, I went for something kinda unoriginal and I just call their planet "Terra" (which is Latin for "Earth").:ajbemused::twilightsheepish::applejackunsure:

1120685 I personally feel that each race has their own name for it.

1120872 Yeah, I agree. Maybe Gryphons call it the Eyrie, for example? Lots of world-building flavour to be had, anyways.

Brace your shit because here comes my headcanon.:pinkiehappy:

1º Earth: Dinosaurs
2º Earth: Humans
3º Earth: Thundercats
4º Earth: Ponies

arandompenguin
Group Admin

1120853 Please refrain from excessive colour usage in the forums. Or at least a colour that is not red, we generally use those when issuing warnings.

1121055Oh,okay. Gotcha.:raritywink:

Sorry 'bout that. I'm just kinda used to doing it in my comments in other part of the site.:twilightsheepish::twilightoops:

Again, my apologies.:twilightsheepish:

By the way, I went back and corrected that.

arandompenguin
Group Admin

1121069 It's alright, thank you kindly.

No cannon name yet. The name I use in my stories is Cunabula Harmonia, translating from latin to mean cradle of harmony.

1120749 exactly what I was thinking when he said that.

1120742 Wait, was that a Man-Kzin Wars reference? If it was, I love you.

You and your silly concepts of logic and reason...

If it was then it was unintentional... Sol III is common sci-fi, and the first part was an off the wall reference to my own star-nation I made for the Honorverse. I've never read Man-Kzin War...

1122055 Damn, because the Kzin race calls their home planet "Kzinhome", and apply their nomenclature to other species' home planets. Roughly translated, their word for Earth means "Manhome".

But if you are a sci-fi fan, read any of the books in Larry Niven's Known Space universe. They're up to something like the 14th book specifically concerning the multiple wars between the humans and the kzinti.

Oh that... Manhome is something I took from the anime series ARIA in which Earth was renamed Manhome following the colonization of Mars (now called Aqua). I'm afraid I haven't read any of Larry Niven's works. The main series I follow is David Weber's Honorverse.

Equus is common, Earth might be canon (and is the one I use, though for one of my stories, their Earth is our Earth, billions of years from now), some use Equestria as the name of the world as well as the land.

And any of these might work at the same time. Humans have more than one name for our planet, after all.:twilightsmile:

Wow, that first name was AWESOME!

I was actually going to call it Earth, cuz you know, earth ponies.

The first thing is just a catalog number

Awwww.:fluttershysad: I was hoping it was close to some coordinate in space, because I was totally going to use that in a future space fiction.

... PM me if you want more info on it

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 40