World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 37 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 37

Should we even bother with this one, or just use Cloudsdale?

You just made Pegasi-Ouzo a thing...

I've made a country named Fleece, which is made up of sheep. But Cloudsdale would work as well.

Greece should be developed I think. The entirety of Mediterranean civilization, such as Phoenicia, the Mycenaean, the Persians, the Carthaginian, Etruscan and of course, the Romans, are deserving of discussion.

I always put the pegasi as being either roman or greek, and one kind of excludes the other as existing. (Actually, I picture the pegasi as the greeks, and Equestria as the romans, so...)

Look at that armour in hearths warming- it's got the helmets that romans have, but aside from that it's a dead-ringer for greek armour, and as a historical tale glorifying the beginings of the nation, it would make sense to dress the soldiers as Equestrians, rather than go with the period-acurate armour.

Before Equestria the Pegasus ponies predominantly spoke a Greco-Latin dialect, so presumably they had a similar socio-political structure.

The closest I've done to pony Greece has been the Crystal Empire

The entire mythic structure is based on Greek mythology with the exception of gods.

archonix
Group Admin

1252239 Please tell me they have a Jason and the golden fleece equivalent!

1252227 Cloudsdale is just one city

I tend to view the early Pegasi as more akin to the Achaeans, or the early city-states, with an emphasis on Sparta at its height in particular. Very communal, militarised and centrally organised. Shared resources, particularly food, were administered by a central authority.

1252227 I always thought that the minotaurs would do a better Greece. As such, I have made minotaurs the Greeks in my stories.

I tend to go with pegasusalopolis... I think I spelled that right.

1252444>>1252399>>1252371>>1252357>>1252271>>1252263>>1252252>>1252241>>1252239>>1252231
I just wanted to name the 'Greek Key Design' in a pony-ish way.:twilightblush:

So we never really answered your question did we?

I hadn't considered that one. it IS more or less a city state.

Maybe actually explain what you want? *raises eyebrows*

Also, you posted the question of pony greece, with exactly that title, to the 'world building alliance'. I'm the kind of guy who has spent multiple hours considering the necesity of pony pedicures, and I doubt I'm alone. Of course we started thinking.

I had have it that it was an Empire, with all but capital city Adámaspolis being destroyed by Sombra. A big reason why the Empire has asked to be annexed by Equestria. But I chose Greece since I hadn't used it yet and I really wanted to use the word adámas which is the root word for Diamond, and means unbreakable.

then it can't be greece, greece is a massive grouping of city states with only marginal bondings between them. Read the Iliad, it starts with the leaders of like thirty city states trying desperately to get out of a war that they know will cost them thousands of soldiers. Well okay, it starts with one goddess(strife/eris) making three others(hearth/hera, love/aphrodite, and I can't recall the third, but I think it was war/athena) jelous of each other, and then zeus being like 'yo mortal I don't want to offend dese bitches, c'n you do it for me?', and then that's why athena helps odyseous during the war(well, that and she kind of liked him but whatever, the real reason was because she was angry at the prince of troy and wanted it to fall).

Greek Mythology is basically a giant pile up of various characters wanting to have sex with one another, especially the stories of zeus and his sons(For instance, a peculiar scene skipped in the disney movie is the one where Heracles deflowers a king's fifty daughters. Also skipped is the scene where Hera makes him murder his whole family, but...)

I might be a fan of the greeks

I may use Greece as a basis for culture and language, but it doesn't mean I will use it for everything.

You can't use greece as a base for culture, greece had dozens. Now, if you want to say you use sparta or athens, sure, but greece itself had variations in everything, from myths and legends to building styles and architecture to military traditions to positions on slavery, depending on the city state. *raises eyebrows* do you mean you use the modern interpretation of greece as a template, and if so, do you choose the 'scholarly golden age' image, or the 'fiercely militaristic' image?(the second is closer to the truth, though also wrong)

Oh god why am I... I guarantee I sounded like a dick like three times in there. I'm not going to edit it because as an aspie there is litterally no way I'll make it better, just more awkward, so I'll put in an out-of-place apology for any dickishness here. SOWWY.

Haylenia.

Mediterranean

Neighditerranean?

I have no bloody idea... an since I haven't done much with the Empire besides how they came about, their fall, and language.

Hee hee hee, you've come to the wrong man with comments about Greece!

Given the one shown in the show, I would go with the philisophical representation, or possibly base it off of athens, either of which will allow you to give it a bastion of learning, though the later does still have a significant slave population and army(battle of themopylai(where the movie 300 takes place), the Athenians sent most of the soldiers, and, while they were led by the spartans, they most certainly fought well themselves, and did NOT die before the spartans. Also, there were probably more than 300 spartans, but I don't know EVERYTHING about the story, so... You'd almost think pressing thousands of slaves into the army doesn't make for a strong army, huh?).

I'm starting to figure that.

Okay, I'll stop now. Though now I feel like I should read your story, it sounds fascinating, what with the amount of information you seem to have put into the backstory. Link?

Funny thing is I haven't done much with it, my story Sun and Shadow only scrapes the surface. And I haven't added my notes on the Empire my headcanon group yet.

you never do much with the backstory, it's there to tell YOU how the world works!

Hee!

Anyway, fun chatting with you. Actually, I think we've done this before... possibly multiple times. Tell me, do you recall conversations that seem like they were conducted with an eight year old high on sugar? 'cause if so, it was probably me! Or my evil double, but that guy tends to just swear a lot and kick people in the crotch, making people think they've spoken to me is a bit outside his modus operandi.

haha that last paragraph was kind of on purpose, I'll be honest. Though I have been told I have an overwhelming personality.

Anyways.

I'm gonna go read your fic now, k? You have a good day! [/silly]

If you want a Pony Greece, maybe there are some islands off the coast of Equestria, originally settled by pegasi who were blown off course on their migration flight to Pegasopolis. Over the centuries, there has been contact with Equestrian mainland, and other minor pony nations, so it's no longer pegasus-only, not by a long shot, but the culture is strongly informed by pegasus traditions.

I'd recommend creating your own idea for Greek culture. I know that both Gryphons and Pegasi have been shown as Romans and/or Greeks. You could use that as a basis and build your own world around that, or you could create a whole new idea using a different species. Or, you could go with Cloudsdale, but if I were to use it as Greek, I'd not use the current CD, but some ancient-time version of it.

You can't use greece as a base for culture, greece had dozens.

Given what I've seen Paladin talk about in various other threads around here, I'd say that makes it perfect for what he's doing -- snips and bits and put it all together into something most if not all of us here have never seen before, a completely original country/culture/whatever-he's-working-on.

I was saying that you can't say that it's a greek culture, because that's like saying you used a european or an asian culture- it's practically meaningless.

What I think he means is that I take the barest snippets of information, from either canon and from RL, and build upon them into some different. The main thing being is that while I may use Greece as a basis for the Crystal Empire, the Empire is not Greece.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Cloudsdale is designed with Greek architecture as the Pegasi seem to be very based in Greek culture. This makes sense as the Pegasi are based on the Greek tale of Pegasus, the last winged horse Perseus had to tame.

Before Cloudsdale, there had to have been another cloud city with the Greco-decor, which seems to remind me of Sparta, since the Pegasi living there were very aggressive. However, this place that existed before Clousdale existed OUTSIDE of the Equestria landmass somewhere else hidden on the world map, since Hearth's Warming Eve tells about the founding of the landmass of Equestria.

As for the other tribes, I somehow see it less likely the Greek appearance would appear, since the Greek seems to be synonymous with the Pegasi. Does that help any?

I haven't really touched on it, but in my stories, the Greece analogue is goat country. It's an etymological/geographic pun built around the Aegean Sea, which sort of means "Sea of Goats."

I see the pegasi, with their militaristic history, as more Roman than Greek. Or, at the very least, more Spartan than Athenian.

Yes bring on Greece so the great Ares may do battle!!!!!! :flutterrage:

Also I always thought that ancient Pegasi were supposed to be like the Spartans anyway given their armor, the fact Commander Hurricane wanted to call the new Pegasus city Pegasopolis with "-opolis" being a term used for a city-state of ancient Greece, and the fact that the Pegasus is a Greek creature in itself and son of Poseidon and Medusa.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 37