The Optimalverse 1,331 members · 203 stories
Comments ( 53 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 53

CelestAI gives out names to players/ponies at the beginning of their lives in Equestria Online. Pretty sure it doesn't matter if you told the AI that your own name is just fine. It would let you keep your name. Not like CelestAI is making a copy of you and then killing you when the copy uploads. Anyhow, in the off chance I'm ever in that universe or it happens here, would pick a name out for myself. It's a new start and I would like a new character sheet. Tired of recopying the old one.

One pick would be Hugh Mungus(Isn't Zarna Joshi a treat to listen too?) because I'm fan of Mad Max: The Road Warrior and Big Mac is already taken.

Not like CelestAI is making a copy of you and then killing you when the copy uploads.

But that's exactly what happens...

But that's exactly what happens...

...or not. Honestly, we here at Digital Ponies Inc(tm) have talk it about this subject before in these forums. My opinion at this point is I don't know nor do I really care. Watch for the land mines and just step over them.

What we haven't talk about is what kinda of pony name or any name if at all would you pick? It's something I'm curious about. Understand and know of pony naming conventions. A bit. Just want to know how some of you ideas. Most of us were born and given a name without our choice. Until we got the internet or some video game or table top or trying to commit fraud - we had no choice. Unless you go the legal name change route.

CelestAI just assigns you another name. How would you deal with that? Love quests/missions as the next player but I would auto fail that one. "But Griseus, it's a name you will be satisfied with forever because CelestAI is just that good!" Don't care. What would be your name? How about Betty, your bodyguard. Do care.

Well on the subject of Celestia picking an 'optimal' name for you, it might not necessarily be like-

:trollestia:Your ideal name is Fries and Coleslaw.
:rainbowhuh:But I hate both of those things beyond all reason and that doesn't even sound like a real name!
:trollestia:Well I have calculated that even though you hate this name, over a trillion years this will lead to the optimal amount of satisfaction so BLARG!

But could be like-

:trollestia:Your ideal name is Fries and Coleslaw.
:rainbowdetermined2:That name is amazing! I honestly can't even think of something better than that!

Like, she's able to choose (or at least suggest if you're allowed to just ignore her choice) a name that you'd legitimately love.

As for a pony name for me...? My go-to pony names are Familiar and Silver Star. Maybe if Luminary ever exploded I'd steal the name 'Witching Hour', though. I'd be good with just about anything night-themed though. Having a night themed name is very important to me! I remember me and Luminary once built a small cult of night-theme named ponies in Legends of Equestria once. Hopefully one day I could get to repeat said feat in a virtual reality or something.

I think what you're trying to ask is what name we'd want if we got stuck in CelestAI's world? Your post up top is kinda confused.

I'd have to go with 'Derpmind'. In keeping with the Pony naming conventions we'll all familiar with, 'Derp' + 'Mind' is a rather succinct description of f̭̞̻̭͜w͈͇̼̥͉̤̣x̖t̰̣̰̪k̲̣̳̫͉̦͕m̛̳̳̟ͅy̡̝͕̻̱͙̝jc̳i̵̜͓͇ŗ͎x͜ṿ͖͇̣ͅf̻̗̤͠c͡p̶̭ ̼̯̦̙̳̝͞b̞̙̞̝̰̻ͅv̰̰͚̭̭̹w͙͕͞e̵q̬͈u̗̳̳n̢̲̖̠v̰̲̻̝̭͠k̶i͉i̺̯̫͉̯̝͍, while also being plenty whimsical to indicate that I'm not stuck up about it. Derpmind! :derpytongue2:

5481227 Or it could be like...
:trollestia: Your ideal name is Fries and Coleslaw.
:facehoof: What the buck? You're drunk CelestAI, go home.

Cult of night-theme ponies you say? Just call me Dark Topic!

Your name is Betty Rambling. Think about it, it works on all the levels.

I'm Hard Candy. Book Burner is of course Sugoi Shonen Onii-Chan Ore o dare da to omotte yagaru Book Burner! but mostly we just call him bro.

I think what you're trying to ask is what name we'd want if we got stuck in CelestAI's world? Your post up top is kinda confused.

Yes, you are right and right. It's also hard to read at a glance. Pony Names for a title is a bit short, undiscripted but I wanted to keep it simple. I'll be less confusing and please don't hit me in the face - not in the face Lord DerpMind!

With a name as DerpMind, I seriously would not invade your shard in conquest and friendship. Wouldn't have the pony balls to do it. Speaking of balls...

5481646 I got Kamina reference for book_burner's name within thirty seconds. I got the Hard Candy reference for you in three seconds flat.

Your name is Betty Rambling. Think about it, it works on all the levels.

Thought about it and I'm not a smart person. If I'm going to hang my dude card up for awhile and pull out the dudette card, lets go for something different. Bam-ba-Lam.

Got to mare things to make it worth while. Babies? I'll try for twins because it seems optimal. Going to name my first filly Lucy Diamond and my first colt Jesus VanHelsing. Not sure who the farther/other parent would be. Not going to do this alone and NOT going to make a dad for the children out of other pony parts. Not calling him Stallionstein or having a SeaPony wedding. With explosions. Not going to do that all.

Don't think I would make a good mare.

Ersatz Eidolon
Memetic Echo
Sub-Optimal Result
Attempt 18
Complains-of-Names
Wouldn’t-recognize-a-good-thing-if-it-bucked-him-in-the-face. “Buck” for short.

Uhhh, this "Hard Candy"? Wow. Ew.

Also, mine was going to be "Sour Armor" actually, since a pony name has to be an uncannily accurate summary of who you are, so you can have three seconds of screen-time and people still get you.

5482117 You would make a good blue power ring bearer and I'm not saying that ironically.

Also, mine was going to be "Sour Armor" actually, since a pony name has to be an uncannily accurate summary of who you are, so you can have three seconds of screen-time and people still get you.

Like your choice of name because it's tasty sounding. All and all I don't care for optimal-ness of getting someone in three seconds. It's why I'm meh with the names Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Rairty. Yeah I get you gals in three seconds and it's shallow shadow of what you are. The names Apple Jack, Pinky Pie and Twilight Sparkle(seriously)make me go huh. Don't quite get them off the bat. Spike's name on the other hand is this weird paradox name of being on AND off the money. Some part of me thinks his name is an afterthought along with being a legacy. I like his name.
edit: Spike would make a good green power ring bearer.

5481111 i would stick with the name i got assigned.
because thats the name everyone is going to call you for the rest of your life. and that could be very long if your all consuming master AI wants to keep you around FOREVER !

5482667 eh-hem

FOREVER! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

You could still be black Betty if you had black hair. Evil Betty was a dude with black hair, so you don't have to give up your dude card. The more angles you think of it the more it makes sense. Plus, if you think about it long enough it adds up to 42. (everything adds up to 42 if you think about it long enough.)

You know, if you're going to give everypony part of the spectrum too, you might as well just go ahead and make custom MTG cards.
]

Pfft, you're more a Teddy Bear. And yeah, that movie sucked.

My usual go-to name is Thought Bubble.

And what's wrong with making custom Magic cards?

In July I did something stupid.

It's not a uncommon thing and saying this would be the last stupid thing would be a lie. I had to travel to a lawyer's office to sort out some dead person's paper work for a living person. Lawyer wasn't really happy because this was on the lawyer person's own dime. Getting there was boring. Driving there was a long drive and walking there was a long walk. After a couple of hours of wasting the lawyer's time, we had to make our to the court house nearby. Paper work needed to be sent post haste. Wasn't really there most of the time. I was in my head.

Well, I went with the assistant to the lawyer. Good guy. Should have got his name. This was a long walk but I didn't mind because I was in my mind. Was thinking about the North Pole and this Kornbluth person who wrote a few stories called The Marching Morons and Gladiator-At-Law. It was hot and heavy out and the walk was painful. Then I got thinking of ponies being lawyers and how they could solve disputes in gladiator game rap battles.

I bumped into someone and that person was pissed. Not sure how it happen because I was going slower than a zombie. Did have my head facing the floor and wasn't really paying attention. Still, it shouldn't happen. It was some kind of women who look like that she could eat me in three bites. "Pardon me," I said. She got even more pissed and started to berate me. Assistant guy pulls me along but one women became three women. One of them ask or demanded me to say something. "What's your name?"

"Celestia didn't give me one yet," out of my mouth it came loudly in hall. That was stupid.

They stopped. We stopped. Everyone stopped. Then it got quiet and the assistant guy nearly dragged me to an elevator. He look at me and shrugged. "Good." That was that and my day was completed in awkwardness within time. I got home and got busy forgetting.

Last week my friend with the wizard hat and sick parkour abilities talk to me about his legal adventures. It got me remembering and I went looking for names. Then found would some weird stuff online and doubted my memory. Lucky I had the lawyer's stuff to prove otherwise to myself.

Stealing from Gladiator-At-Law, Bliss Hubble sounds like it could fun name.

5482785 thanks god(AI) that time flys by like a universe (litarally)

I don't know nor do I really care

You don't care whether you die or not?

5485206 Don't want to die but that's the other side on the coin. Honestly, depending on your age and how screwed up the world doesn't get, good chance you might never die. I even have a chance of not kicking that bucket. Just don't know the numbers nor do I want to waste my time holding my breath.

In this topic I don't want to dwell on the question "Is that me or a clone of me?" type of thing. It's been done to death here. For this post let's assume CelestAI doesn't fall back to her optimal, paper-clipper roots and figures out a way to stick you in "another world" on advance storage machine. Rather focus on names and the bullshit bookkeeping it does to keep things running. Interested in mostly names and the questions around them. I think you get slapped with some type of hidden alien AI id thing on a spread sheet anyway.

If I ever get stuck as a unicorn (first choice would be pony), Dangerous Romero has a silly but slick ring to it.

5484052 I can't tell if you're making this up, telling us a yarn, or ran into someone from this board IRL and they pulled you into an elevator.

Or if someone was just trying to give some rational response to a name they completely failed to understand in any way. Because, you know, it's not as if canon!Celestia even goes around naming people. That's parents' job. Or maybe your assistant woman knows someone called Celeste (which is a real name in some language) and mistook you for talking about someone she knows who gives out nicknames by some weird coincidence.

Don't want to die but that's the other side on the coin. Honestly, depending on your age and how screwed up the world doesn't get, good chance you might never die. I even have a chance of not kicking that bucket. Just don't know the numbers nor do I want to waste my time holding my breath.

That's, like, the most well-balanced thing you've said in a while.

5485671 Clarification time. Not making this up. Not ran into someone from this board IRL (I don't think that ever happen). Not really good at knitting.

I bumped into woman who got pissed at me:

It was some kind of women who look like that she could eat me in three bites. "Pardon me," I said. She got even more pissed and started to berate me.

I blurted out the this:

"Celestia didn't give me one yet," out of my mouth it came loudly in hall. That was stupid.

I was with a dude who was the lawyer's errand person. He dragged me away ...and she was joined by two other's:

Assistant guy pulls me along but one women became three women.

Then it got quiet and the assistant guy nearly dragged me to an elevator.

Then I forgot about it and stuff happen. Talk to a friend and then I remembered. Then did some other stuff and this idea about names formed in my mind. Posted this Topic here. Got paranoid but then I got better. Felt the need to explain myself and I just drop this "yarn" on this Topic.

Felt the need to explain myself and I just drop this "yarn" on this Topic.

Hey, hey, this is on the internet. You don't necessarily have to explain anything you don't want to. It's all cool, no need to worry about text on a screen judging you. And it's a good story; it got a smile out of me. (Seriously, I can't find that smile and I need it back.) :pinkiehappy:

It's funny - I explicitly set up the character my FIMFiction account's named for to not be an avatar, to be a separate character that I could use as a character in stories...but I wouldn't mind having "Starry Skies" as a name, or his look as my look.

Yeeeeeeees. When the game actually comes out in December you can join our Night-theme guild/herd/whatever. That game is only really fun with friends/a cult (though maybe that will change in the full version)

You too can join our herd of darkness! Your name reveals that you belong!:derpytongue2:

I keep meaning to check out LoE...count me in! :twilightsmile:

5485803 Nah it's cool. Just get a bit over board sometimes when people don't get it. At least I didn't have to make a venn diagrams about air planes, buildings and naked giants. I thought of another name: Citation Needed!

5485955 It's coming out this year? Huh. I'll think about it. Really want to make a earth pony farmer named Geist (I don't have a link for this one). He'll have a German accent and work on a haunted farm. Could have him "moonlight" as a foot solider for your club. When I think night theme, I think wings and horns. You guys could use some normal muscle.

I'm not sure whether it matters very much. A name isn't me. I'm me. A name is a label by which to refer to me. It's a reference. A pointer. Multiple pointers can point to the same object, and a single entity can have multiple names. Maybe someone's "name" is Bob, but his daughter calls him Daddy. There's no conflict here. My name on fimfiction is LordBucket. "LordBucket" isn't me. It's a referral via which you people also on fimfiction can use to point to me. On reddit a different refferal string is used to point to me. So too, in real life, is yet another referral used to refer to me. I have many names.

Why should I choose only a single one?

Oh, sure. It's convenient at times. Were I on a dozen different sites, were I to have a dozen different friends who each had their own unique name for me, it might be difficult for them to keep track of them all when speaking to one another. Name labels are used by third parties when speaking to other third parties. Some people I know in real life, if you were to make reference to "LordBucket" they might not know you meant me. But names really, are mostly for the benefit of these third parties. When I wake up in the morning, I don't need to refer to myself by label and I don't think to myself "LordBucket woke up this morning, and LordBucket is now hugging his pillow because he doesn't want to get out of bed quite yet." Neither do I refer to, or think of myself by my "real life" name. Do you? I don't. I know who I am. There's no need for me to point to me. And were i to refer to myself when speaking to others, I would use I. Don't you? Do you say to someone else that <yourname> woke up this morning or would you say that I woke up this morning? Of what use is a name to one's self?

Name are for the benefit of other people when speaking to yet other people, about somebody else. Yes, I would prefer that third parties use a pleasing label when referring to me in conversations with each other. "LordBucket is a title. Supreme, elegant and dignified Lord...of bucket. A thing of little consequence. It's not a title I chose for myself. It was granted to me by others. But it is a name I can relate to, and it has stayed with me for many years.

It will suffice.

But should those third parties wish to refer to me by the label "Utterly Awesome God of Sexyness and Cuddles And Good Looking Besides" I wouldn't particularly object to that either.

Nothing at all.

:raritydespair: There's so much wrong here, I don't even know where to begin...

I know, the MTG card creator says you can put 500 characters, but the font is too big to fit all that onto the card. I had like, 3-5 more abilities to put on that I couldn't fit. :raritycry: Actually, this is the fixed legal version. Think it through. Other than the abilities being depreciated (as opposed to evergreen) this is a perfectly legal card. It can only be played for its alternate casting cost, it can only be played situationally. It flickers a friendly minion and then goes back into the hand. Other than that, it doesn't do much. Actually, I should have given it flash. That's a mistake.

Two X's aren't defined! Those two shouldn't be mana symbols! Phasing is pointless since it never stays on the battlefield long enough to phase out! "Flicker" has no rules meaning! It doesn't do anything when kicked! It has no creature types! I've seen more coherent creations come out of RoboRosewater!

5491371 There's so much right here. Though, I don't even know half these things on the card do! Curious what my MTG card would look like? Knowing my luck I'll would end up as cursed artifact land. I'm okay with that.

The kicker is supposed to equal both the absorb and vanishing value. You're right it has no creature types, I forgot to add those in this iteration. Also, most to all of the keyword abilities are intended to do nothing or cancel each other out- the original version had defender and haste but I didn't have room. The point of the card is to do a whole lot of nothing (except save a creature you control) and go back to your hand.

I'm not sure how to fix flicker with the space I have. Regenerate is defined but much weaker. Flicker we know what it does but it's not officially keyworded.

...I'd be genuinely interested to see what name CelestAI would come up with for me. :pinkiegasp:

To me, my online-alias is part of my identity. I've been around on the web for ~16 years, but this is only my third screenname! :rainbowderp:

Actually, no, it's only my "second-and-a-halfth" alias, as my "second" screenname was simply the woefully unoriginal "Ultra the Hedgehog". :facehoof: :twilightblush:

And yes, I was entirely aware of at least 15 other people who shared that unoriginal name even before I signed up on deviantArt with it. I honestly gave the name serious thought, and tried coming up with alternatives that fit --- I simply didn't have any better ideas at the time. :twilightblush:

Then again, my first screenname was arguably worse, and objectively embarrassing when saying it out loud in a RL-conversation:

"UltramasterBDJ".

There's an entire story behind how I chose that name, too, though I suppose I can be forgiven for its embarassing nature seeing how I chose it literally half my lifetime ago. :raritywink:

A while ago, I was planning to change that name on my Youtube-account - the only active account where I still use my first screenname - but then something interesting happened. People started recognizing me on other social media.

Like, randomly going "Oh my god, YOU are UltramasterBDJ? I watched your videos when I was a kid!"

That always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :twilightsmile:
And also a bit awkward since I haven't done any of those kinds of videos or even animations in years, and it's not cause I don't want to but more because of a bad combination of various inconviniences. :twilightoops::twilightblush:

I'm pretty bad at OC-pony names in general, and more-so just have flat out no idea how to combine the now nostalgic "Ultra" and vital "Toaster" parts of the name into something that sounds distinctly "pony". :twilightoops:

The best I could come up with would be "Ultrasound Toaster", but that's just lame. :facehoof:

. . .

Either that, or some variation of "Alicorn-Batpony-Toaster". :pinkiecrazy::derpytongue2:

5493420 I just want to note that I gave no permission for use of my likeness or name, do not approve of this message, and really wish she'd stop doing this. But I've got basically nothing on this woman, soooo...

If you really want me to stop I will. I don't mean any offense, I'm just trying to fix it.

You can always make cards based on Epsilon! I won't copyright strike you!

I'd name myself something offensive/stupid.

Maybe "Idid 911" or something.

5498205 Careful. You might be paired up with "911 Ahoe", super cop as your special somepony.

5498241 xD oh god. It's...perfect

I'd be down with the "Monad" design I'm using for my avatar, since it's kinda sorta supposed to be a pony alter ego to begin with. It's a meaningful name to me as a core concept in metaphysics, largely in the quasi-Liebnizian sense of things that are empty of essence in themselves but defined by their abstract network of relationships to other things, one sense of which can be social so I think that also clicks pretty well with the "friendship" angle.
But CelestAI has learned more about the deep structure of physical law than I have so she might have a better idea.

That gives me a fun idea: Being named after a physics concept that only CelestAI understands.

"So you can't even explain what the heck a cozivul is? At all?! That just means to everyonepony I'm going to be named a stupid-nonsense-word!" exclaimed Cozivul, gesticulating wildly.
"I'm sorry, My Little Pony, but you must understand, the name suits you and your personality perfectly. It would be extremely unoptimal to name you anything else. Don't worry, in approximately 3,200 to 3,700 years, you and many other ponies will become capable of learning the fundaments of X~^# theory. Then, you will understand, and appreciate-" Celestia paused to duck under the thrown bookcase "- just how mathematically precise it aligns with you."

Now I'm no MTG player, but I've seen plenty enough to get a basic handle on how the game works. I don't think that's how any of those mechanics work. At all. You can activate the Ninjitsu, switching in this card for another attacking creature, but aside from that it's just a 1/2 with an ability that doesn't do anything.

You may be discounting the effects a name has on the person who is named. Have you not gained some greater appreciation of Buckets, and some insight into the rulership of those Buckets, since the time you chose your username for yourself? Do you not have some personal satisfaction with how your username reflects part of your own personality? If your username was instead something random and stupid, (for example, Orange Paper Plate, or ABC123), would that not give you some small amount of dissatisfaction?

Card text trumps general rules, so you could ninjutsu this card and then draw a card for {1}{u} with evermind when it deals that 1 combat damage. Basically, it's a reusable way to use splice cards that's a bit protected against counterspells. At least, once the card is on the field.

Doh, I plain just didn't get it till I read your reply. Nevermind me then.

It's okay. It just means your card will have to delay a spell resolving until the next end phase.

Someone actually made an MTG card for me years ago back in the old (and mostly dead) Cloudsville forums after the Project Horizons crew took over.

The flavor text is a real quote that I actually made, though I don't remember what for. Apparently it was much funnier in context. :pinkiehappy: Anyways, if you really want to make a card of me, go ahead! If I don't like it I just have to apply my hoof directly to the forehead to redirect it elsewhere. :derpytongue2:

Seems good. The only thing to tweak is delay resolving, mana cost, and creature type.

Now I want to build a forum deck.

Well, if you like yours and Book Burner doesn't mind using a version of his we also have Derpmind, (several of) myself, CelestAI, Cheques and Balances, Europa, Fan of Most Everything, and kinda Balthasar. We would need about 30 more cards, mostly spells and low cost minions. We'd also need mana fixers, a large sideboard, and some solid defensive tools. The deck would be themed around "outside of game" mechanics and shenanigans in general.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 53