Austraeoh 773 members · 31 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29
The_K_Man
Group Contributor

UPDATE:
I've made a Google Doc spreadsheet to organize this better.

ORIGINAL TEXT:

Thread for trying to translate Xonan dialogue
I'll try to update this post with ongoing meanings.
= signs for agreed definitions
~ signs for posible definitions

This seems to be [second or first born] wording.
First-born Xonan (language) is how Lasairfion speaks
LETTER:A

austraeoh = the spark, harmony, Rainbow Dash

LETTER:B

bahkk =
bess =
bleen =
blenn =
browt =
bruut =

LETTER:D

dien ~ die, kill, death
drakh =
dree =
dreit = yes (or some affirmative)
dren =
drenn =
druus =

LETTER:F

fas =
freek =

LETTER:G

greer =
gremm =

LETTER:H

haab =
Haat =
hal =
halukken =
Hammen =
harra =
Havalun =
hemjj =
hraak =
huu =

LETTER:J

jaat =
jekt =
Juut =

LETTER:K

Kera = clover
klem =
kurn =

LETTER:L

laak =
Ledomul ~ (noun) a Ledomaritan
Ledomulian/Ledomulien = (adj) Ledomaritan
leeh =
less =

LETTER:M

mark =
mal =
mennaren =
mehk =
mehn =
mesul/messul = they
mraak =
mul ~ ?? possibly a preposition
muul =

LETTER:N

nahkk = no (or some negative)
Nagu'n = deity/spirtual guide??
(more cultural significance than literal)

LETTER:O

odrsjot ~ companionship, companions, friendship
Oss tray oh = Austraeoh
orr ken ~ question: understand?

LETTER:P

poorj ~ stop/wait
projj =

LETTER:R

Raka =
raas =
rej =
rekk =
rem =
Resiul =
riel =

LETTER:S

saj =
sarakul =
Searen = Searonese
senn =
sien =
siul =
staye
suln =
suun =

LETTER:T

taa =
thien =
threen =
thremh =
thrien = (there?)
thriul = (here?)
(these ^ be location pronouns?)
treen =
trent/trentte ~ pony/horse/derogatory term ??
(possible masculine/feminine cognates)

LETTER:U

Urohringr = earth, The Earth, the machine world

LETTER:V

vas =
vrass =

LETTER:X

Xon-Nagu'n ~ formation equivalent of "our God" or "my lord"
also possibly used as "us who follow Nagu'n"

LETTER:Y

yuus =

Parts of speech will probably take longer than these vague meanings
Correct me if I get anything wrong

dashie76
Group Contributor

2097555Kool, I'll come back to this for reference periodically.

AppleTank
Group Contributor

Didn't that other guy make a list?

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

I think he did a few direct translations from [Norwegian] into English. (a good base line, but dreit = 'take a crap' doesn't quite fit)

Also, I would love anyone's input. I take no credit in all of the translations themselves.

Axan Zenith
Group Contributor

Trent, trentte and its derivatives either mean "horse" or some kind of general derogatory term.

"Haat threen mraak suln bruut!" He stammered, dangling helplessly. "Nnnngh! Freek jaat thien raas, Searen trentte!"

He twitched, glaring at her behind a swolen face. "It cannot force anything from it, Searen horse!" His eyes narrowed on her. "Nagu'n guides its path with Her Song! Rekk sien muul trent Xon-Nagu'n!"

Perhaps trent means pony, and trentte means horse?

Pilate
Group Admin

Correct. The words are organic to the story, even if (like the story titles themselves) they have roots in Norse or Nordic languages. Any attempt as translating what can actually be translated will depend entirely on contextual clues within the chapters themselves.

AppleTank
Group Contributor

2098265>>2098040
Yeaaahhhh I'm no good with that. Let's find a baby and read this out loud to them in the hopes that said baby would learn the Xonan language. Babies are good at that.

PropMaster
Group Contributor

I think that "trent" means stallion/colt or is a masculine modifier, while "trentte" means mare/filly or is a feminine modifier. The Xonans have called Kera "trentte" a few times, and they're not speaking down to/insulting her... though the idea of "trent" meaning 'horse' actually has a lot of merit as well...

Dreit appears to be an affirmative, such as 'yes'. Easy enough to spot, we can say for sure that we've got that one down.

Dien also appears to be die/death/kill. Here's my contextual clues, it shows up during combat a lot.

The Xonans fell back, grunting into their helmets at the unexpected show of force. High above, four more soldiers leapt off their diving mounts and pounced at Basso's figure. "Rem mul dien, Ledomul!"

That's definitely a challenge of some sort, directed towards Basso. I can't help but cheat and know that Imploding Colon speaks English. Unless he has some really crazy way of using a translator, the sentance structure is probably going to follow english conventions. I'd hazard a guess and say that that means "Prepare to die, Ledomaritian!".
It's REALLY hard to translate, though, because we're dealing with THREE languages. Dien appears in a few more places, but it's in the context of the Second Born language/song. I'd assume it has the same meaning, especially considering the context. Check the chapter "Sky Pit of Vipers", "dien" pops up all over the place. It also pops up once in Worst Kind of Grace, when Dalen is asking Zytharros not to kill Rainbow Dash and Company:

”Nahkk!” Dalen’s voice shouted. He was suddenly sliding in between the group and blocking the soldiers’ strike. “Poorj! Nahkk dren dien, poorj habb bleen!”

I'd be willing to venture that "Poorj" means wait/stop, and "Nahkk" is a no/negative. Possibly "Nahkk" is the opposite of "Dreit"?

One last phrase that might be identifiable: "Orr ken?" - "get it/understood?"
Context:

In the meantime, Dalen was posting Xonan guards at the stations that the enforcers were occupying just minutes ago. “Hraak thremh less drakh thriul.” He pointed at the cell, then slapped the glowing tome into place atop a table, within close proximity of the pegasus. “Jekt drenn trent Oss tray oh thrien. Orr ken?”
“Dreit, Dalen.”
“Dreit.”

PropMaster
Group Contributor

Also, I think that "thriul" "thrien" and anything that follows that pattern are all parts of speech indicating location. "here" and "there", I think?
Context:

In the meantime, Dalen was posting Xonan guards at the stations that the enforcers were occupying just minutes ago. “Hraak thremh less drakh thriul.” He pointed at the cell, then slapped the glowing tome into place atop a table, within close proximity of the pegasus. “Jekt drenn trent Oss tray oh thrien. Orr ken?”

This could mean something to the effect of "Stay and guard them here", and " Make sure Austraeoh stays there. Understand?"

It pops up again when Dalen has taken away Kera, and is "interrogating" her, going through the various Xonan languages.

“Hemjj druus mehn rekk thriul, trentte? Trentte Xon-Nagu’n?”

“Gremm bahkk leeh vrass staye? Kurn vas rekk thriul Ledomulian mehm?”

There it is twice. I'd be willing to venture that the first quote says, "How did you get here, pony? Pony of Xona and Nagu'n?"

The second one, well, I'm really not sure what the first bit says, but going off the assumption that (thri + modifier) denotes location, the second part of the quote is asking how she got into Ledomaritian hooves ("thriul Ledomulian" = "here [with] Ledomaritians")

Thoughts?

EDIT: Found two more instances of use, and a new thri + modifier word.

"Projj klem bess thriul Ledomulian browt, dreit?"
AND
"Ha ha ha ha!" Several stallions merrily chuckled, elbowing each other and pointing at the filly. "Greer blenn yuus thriel mark treen!"

"thriel" doesn't seem to quite fit with the here/there thing, so I'm wondering if I'm wrong. Anybody have any other ideas?

bassofthe
Group Contributor

2097985 2098040 That was more of a joke than anything. Quite a few Xonan words sound similar to Norwegian words. I know that most of those make no sense in context. Actually, the word 'dreit' (past tense of 'drite', which means 'take a crap') was the reason I did it in the first place.

I just now realized - 'dreit' is only one letter from 'greit', which means 'alright' or 'affirmative'. That makes much more sense, and it's even used in the same way.

"Jeg henter en pølse, greit?" - "I'll fetch a sausage, alright?"
"Greit." - "Affirmative."

~Basso

AppleTank
Group Contributor

I wonder if IC expected us to do this.

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

Regardless if he did, spelling mistakes just got that more important

UPDATE: I added what has been posted here.

Leftover of Saikano
Group Contributor

I could really help if it was based off guarani or spanish, and maybe other romance language, like italian, french, or maybe portuguese. Something based off norse is too far away for me.
I can only offer my support.

kihutaja
Group Contributor

Innavedr has examples of Second-born speech.

Nmmbiuliseth restul mellusuthien kuln meseludrusul innavedr rezolluth.

Hasuulun membraat li nulsun austraeoh rezzun thriesiul eljunbyro sajaalsun miul.

"Messul jaazaat diul mennoressu kun. Without wings, they spread. Messul drun diul harazzahm siel. Without a sea, they drifted. Messul carranar diul kuhleema drae. Without purpose, they died."

("kuhleema" sounds like a Estonian/Finnish word for "to die" (koolema/kuolemaan). Probably coincidence, but cool.

"Jazzuluth thriem slien. By the everlasting winds we summon you, the missings ghosts of the twelve. Haliem mussu drellen thritt. Follow the wings of your children to our hearts and minds..."

"Tulunzien melethrikk balasaad austraeoh revvunaart urohringr," the colt said. "Skim like the spark and bring wholeness to the ring."

"Lassuun thiel odrsjot helissa austraeoh reste," a filly chanted, tossing another stone. "Through a frantic compansionship will the spark complete its journey."

The colt kept levitating the globules of water in the form of pegasus bones. "Deep in the earth were they found. Telethusilien raazan mesul urohringr fensen nelrusalemmehm." As he chanted, he levitated several blades of grass and criss-crossed them to form a dozen symbols. These symbols then converged on the watery skeleton and covered it like a sheet of green skin. In a flash, the body took on the form of a naked pegasus with an emerald coat. "By the sovereignty of the ring were they given charge of the skies." He and the other foals watched as the equine effigy flew loops through the lavender starlight above them. "Jemmunen vabrakren halsuth vielunu austraeoh harracranten sedraystiul. But the breaking of the ring also shattered the heavens, and the spark lay dormant for eons..."

And later, when the foals reunite with their parents:

The stallion's face absolutely melted. He threw his cloak off and slid foward, collapsing before the foal. "Hamaat thriul sezaan Jaatso! Jaatso thiulen savaluus!" He swept the colt up in a tender hug, nuzzling him with a tear-stained smile. "Diul thriemen! D-diul thriemen..."

"Mmmm..." The colt's face scrunched up with a sob, a sob that he buried in his father's intricately drawn coat. "Papa..." His voice was a muffled wail against the stallion's forelimbs as he shivered in his embrace. "Papa talmasaat lesiul m-messen vrie..."

Belle was too busy staring at the scene to hear the galloping hoofsteps racing from the bunker. A mare and a teenage filly dashed over and fell on their knees besides the stallion. "Jaatso! Diul thiemen niul hassa gliem!"

kihutaja
Group Contributor

There doesn't seem to be much repeating words though, besides the story titles, "messul", "diul" (those repeat three times in the same sentence, and "diul" appears later too), and "reste"/"restul". Also "thriul" appears once in Innavedr too. So most of it is probably just made up on the spot.

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

"Deep in the earth were they found. Telethusilien raazan mesul urohringr fensen nelrusalemmehm."

I've got a feeling that mesul/messul fits for "they"

Pilate
Group Admin

The only important word in that quoted sentence is "urohringr."

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

:ajbemused:
Well, yes. If "Urohringr" is the title of the next story after Odrsjot, It might be heavily involving the machine world/ the ring.

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

His armor pulsed in sequence with his bright eyes as he shouted above the whipping winds.

”Haasulieth messen lesso thriulen trenttenne Buch Tania Lasairfion Xon-Nagu’n! Rekkhuusuth melendriette hassaal mecrieth thrien dresdunadar!”

All as one, the Xonans slammed their hooves down and shouted, their tattoos glowing for a sparse few seconds of absolute fury. ”Dres dunn darr Nagu’n! Trendt Xon-Nagu’n!”

Zytharros pulled at the reins of his beast and pointed towards a patch of gray sky. “Rekku blassuun thien varr!”

Two beast riders flew up alongside him.

More Second Born

AppleTank
Group Contributor

Evidence seems to suggest Xon'Nagu'n = blessed by Nagu'n. Therefore, Xonan may mean "The Blessed". Which makes sense, considering their massive egos

M’beraathiule’n tre’entum, suluthen’driel less’luu them’niel mes’yntheen Buch Tania Lasairfion Xon-Nagu’n. Rekk’msim hala’theen lessu’drell.

supposedly translates to

It welcomes it, the ponies most lost, to the holy haven of Princess Buch Tania Lasairfion, blessed by Nagu’n. It has arrived at the end of all evil and suffering

accounting for the fact that the translation is in third person, while the quote is in first.

bassofthe
Group Contributor

The Lasairfion quotes and translation confirm that trent/trentte (tre'entum in firstborn) means pony or ponies.

kihutaja
Group Contributor

In yesterday"s chapter, the word "malasuu’drenna’duuros" repeats, with some grammatical inflection. It seems to mean something to do with death.

AppleTank
Group Contributor

”La’gnimaasaal thr’aala’kameel thien sel’uusuru, hra’ma ja’lessurem tren’tassan.
And yet it is still unharmed, the little pony?

-....Wow, this language is quite compressible.

“Th’nna Oss Tray Oh tren’tassan messul m’beraasa diulen hassul thriel.”
Oss Tray Oh pony is not bound by fear.

-hassul seems familiar. Did I mention that somewhere?

“Hava’salem dre’draan mekhulien maakara’nal vimull thiul Negu’n?”
Then why should it restrain from the voice of Negu’n?

aaand then IC gave up on making more sentences.

AppleTank
Group Contributor

Evidence points to the fact that "hra’ma ja’lessurem tren’tassan." has something to do with "my little pony"
We know trent seems more insulting, but since this is coming from a Princess, tren'tassan seems like a more respectful version

ja’lessurem just says "lesser" or "small" to me. Following this, hra’ma Would suggest "my" or "mine"

Th’nna = "The?"

tren’tassan Second time seeing this next to Ous tra oh. Definitely respectful version of pony.

The rest I'm not so sure.

On a side note:messul m’beraasa diulen hassul thriel has the same number of words as the translated section. I'm sorely tempted to do a direct translatation, but knowing IC, there are probably object verb switcheroos.

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

I'm gonna be looking this over during Thanksgiving Break

The_K_Man
Group Contributor

UPDATE: I've made a Google Doc for easier collaboration. Just please don't delete anything without reason

Comment posted by TheGreatEater deleted Mar 6th, 2016
TheGreatEater
Group Contributor

Were you able to translate this chapter?

I hate not knowing what's said in a chapter, and that as well as the chapter prior since the Xonan attack where prevalent. But not as important as that one, and this chapter has so much of it that it's maddening. Especially with how many people of the comment sections have no idea how to make heads or tails of it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29