Star Wars 1,561 members · 289 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26
Wyrme #1 · Nov 9th, 2017 · · 2 ·

Let's start off with the first thing I thought when I saw a porg for the first time ever: they're fucking creepy.
They look like birds who had their beaks surgically removed or something! It just looks really unnatural, and unsettles me to no end.
Their nasty-ass Gollum teeth don't help things, either.

I do not understand why people think these things are cute. Maybe if they had beaks, they could be cute, but NOPE. Teeth! We got birds with teeth! And it's weird as Hell. Not even in a good way.
I just want to find whoever designed the porgs, and ask them "Why? Why did you give birds teeth? Why couldn't you just give them beaks? Why did you think this was an okay thing to do?"

Another thing that bothers me is their wings. Porgs can fly, but they have skinny-ass penguin wings. Which are less like wings and more like flippers. They're for swimming, not flying. And this is especially baffling, because the main reason porgs exist is because there were puffins all over the island while filming, so they replaced them with a fictional bird to increase immersion and make it feel more like an alien world. They even have a chubby body like that of a puffin. So why the fuck didn't they give them puffin-like wings?! Puffins can fucking fly! Why did you give them wings like a type of bird that can't even fly?!!

Also, is it just me, or do porgs not appear to have webbed feet? Maybe I just can't find any good pictures, but it looks like their feet aren't webbed. Unlike pretty much every single actual seabird. Is sensible anatomy in science-fiction creatures too much to ask? Yes, it's fiction, but that's not an excuse for things to not make sense! And having seabirds whose feet are not webbed doesn't make sense.

And that's pretty much it. Fuck porgs, and fuck the asshole who designed them.
And if y'all noticed anything I missed, I'd like to know.

Nah bro they cute

What you are showing us is an unfinished Porg. This is a better image of the Porgs.

The Porgs are not supposed to be seabirds, as their bodies aren't designed in that way. They're clearly a cross between a penguin and an otter. Their design makes sense, but you are too busy comparing apples to oranges to notice.

In fairness, you could say the same thing for literally every other cute character ever. Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty, etc.

Those things this site is dedicated to...

Ok, so I went to find an image of a finished one and frankly, I still think most of my criticisms apply.

The mouth isn't as gross, but it's still a bird with no beak, which again, I just think is really unsettling to look at.
As for the image you show, it pretty much confirms what I was saying about the webbed feet.
EDIT: Plus their wings are still too small for their chubby bodies.

They live on a planet that, as far as I can tell, is covered mostly by water, with small islands scattered here and there. AND, if I'm not mistaken, they live inside of cliffside holes. That are by water.
I fail to see how they are not some kind of a seabird.

You do realize that Chubby Birds can still fly, right? A quick google search can do just that. They're sort of a cross between penguins and Puffins from the island The Last Jedi was filmed at. Plus, space worms exist inside asteroids and a group of Space Teddy Bears thought a robot was a god. So…I think we should stop thinking logic works the same in Star Wars and just let the suspension of disbelief go.

Also, when was Star Wars not about selling merchandise? This started with R2-D2, Ewoks, freakin' Jar-Jar, and now Porgs.

Porgs are ugly now? Never really seen the reasoning as to why. But if I can get ten plushies of those Crystal-Foxes rather than a Porg. Then I'm good.

You do realize that Chubby Birds can still fly, right?

Yes, I did. The puffins I previously mentioned, for example.
What I'm saying is their wings don't look like flying wings. They seem more reminiscent of penguin wings. And penguins do not use their wings for flying, but for swimming. But porgs still fly, in spite of this.

Plus, space worms exist inside asteroids and a group of Space Teddy Bears thought a robot was a god. So…I think we should stop thinking logic works the same in Star Wars and just let the suspension of disbelief go.

You're right, logic in Star Wars isn't the same as in real life. But for me, birds with the body of a puffin and the wings of a penguin flying break my suspension of disbelief, because even in science fiction it doesn't make sense and shouldn't be possible within the parameters of that universe. To my knowledge, Star Wars adheres to pretty much the same rules of physics as our universe does. Meaning that porgs being able to fly is highly illogical.

Also, when was Star Wars not about selling merchandise? This started with R2-D2, Ewoks, freakin' Jar-Jar, and now Porgs.

I never said that. All I am doing here is saying I don't like how the porgs are designed and my reasoning behind this opinion.

Porgs are ugly now? Never really seen the reasoning as to why.

Did you read the original post? Because that's what it's about.

Dude why do you care, It's a cute little animal that won't affect the plot or the universe in anyway. This isn't Jar Jar or the ewoks, its animal meant to be a pet not some advanced species.

This is like complaining over Mlp introducing a made up dog species that stays as a puppy for all its life.

Okay, I'll admit that the bulging eyes are a bit unsettling, but I don't see anything else wrong with it. Though, did you consider that the Porgs aren't meant to fly? Doesn't seems that way, even though their similarities to penguins makes that quite evident.

I don't hate the design, but these things are a blatant and shameless cash grab. That certainly warrants some scorn.

I can talk about bad character designs if I want. It might be minor, but it's still ugly.

Though, did you consider that the Porgs aren't meant to fly?

They do.

In addition to their appearance, the porgs have a lot of avian qualities to their habits. They can fly, they build nests and they’re highly curious.

Source

I disagree. Ports resemble a genetic engineering mistake that should've aborted. From what I've seen of them they suck.

How do you know they can fly? I haven’t seen them fly?

I never said they were a perfect cross.

...I gave you a source. Where I got that flying statement from. How closely did you read my comment?
I'm feeling generous, so here it is again.

Oh, I guess I didn't notice that before.

Hm, I see. Well, Bees shouldn't be able to fly either, yet they can. I guess nature just doesn't make sense sometimes. I mean look at the Platypus; it has a beaver tail, a bill, males have poisonous ankle barbs, and females lay eggs and sweat milk. The Platypus is clearly a lot stranger than the Porgs.

Perry! Perry the Platypus! Agent P! ...Ah, I love "Phineas and Ferb".

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26