• Published 25th Apr 2013
  • 3,417 Views, 205 Comments

Mare Do Well: The Series - ShadeJak



Set after my other story MDW: As The Sky Falls. New villains and threats arise, and Rainbow Dash finds herself once again in the role of the superheroine Mare Do Well

  • ...
1
 205
 3,417

Escape

“Hello, Rainbow. Have fun?” Twilight asked, raising an eyebrow at the upside-down pegasus that had come tumbling through her window.

“Of course I did!” Rainbow Dash replied with a grin. “Spitfire’s been working me hard with some new moves but they’re totally worth it! That dive-bomb flash explosion trick I used to get Shadowbolt distracted back on New Years worked like a charm!” It had meant more to the pegasus then anything that her idol was willing to take time to help her grow and learn, even if she wasn’t going to be a wonderbolt.

“That’s great, but I’d really like you to use the door more often.” Twilight said, using her magic to close the window. “Did you tell her about Shadowbolt? Was she able to figure out anypony who might be connected to her?”

“No.” Rainbow answered. “When I mentioned how you said Lightning Dust was with you when Shadowbolt showed up; that pretty much wiped out suspect number one. Then we still got Big Shot to deal with. Still, I feel more ready then before to take ‘em on!” The pegasus said with her usual cocky smirk.

“Well, I’m glad you’re in better spirits. I’m sure we’ll handle them. So, it’s a few hours till the sun sets, what are your plans?” The unicorn asked.

“Eh, probably a nap, then get ready for my Manehattan patrol!” Rainbow said, grinning.

~

At Alkatrot Prison, activity was booming during recess time. Many inmates simply galloped about partaking in games and chatting at tables. Two unicorns, however, chose not to participate, one was sitting on a bench listening to music, while the other simply stared off into the distance. As a few moments went by, a turquoise earth pony with a red mane and tail took notice of them and approached.

“Oh Smokinnnnn… Soniiiic…” Joy Maker, also known as Gametime said gingerly as he trotted over to the two unicorns.

“Seriously, short stuff, this better be more interesting then my music.” Sonic Boom, also known as Shockwave replied with an eyeroll as he slid his headphones up.

“Wellllllllll…” The turquoise earth pony said, drawing out his reply. “I was just lounging in my cell when who would appear but the big guy’s shapeshifting deliverypony. Slipped right by nopony noticed.”

“Get to the point.” Smokin Mirrors, also known as Decepto answered as he watched some other inmates chat away.

“Right, right. Well he dropped off a little something for me. Tonight’s gonna be very fun when Mare Do Well drops off the usual. Here’s the details of the game, colts…” Joy Maker explained, taking the others’ interest and speaking quietly.

~

“We can’t thank you enough, Mare Do Well.” Warden Blackmane said with a smile as his guards took away a pair of wrapped-up robbers that the costumed pegasus had brought in.

“Hey, no problem.” Mare Do Well said with a smirk under her mask. “If I find any more, I’ll be sure to bring ‘em in.”

“Hopefully you won’t, we’re starting to pile up, I’ll admit.” The warden said. “Well, if that’s all, we’ll take care of these two, I’m sure you’ve got more patrolling to take care of.”

“Yeah, kinda do.” Mare Do Well answered.

“Very well, then. My guards will escort you out.” The warden replied, turning and giving a gesture to his guards, who then joined the costumed pegasus and lead her away as he followed the rest of the staff to put away the captured robbers.

As they passed through the halls, down several stairs, and one elevator, Mare Do Well had remained quiet, her attention on the many occupied cells she’d passed; so many of the inmates were here by her own hoof, she couldn’t help but smile a little at this. In the many months she’d been Equestria’s resident superhero, she’d made a real difference and it showed. A long time ago, she’d have been openly bragging about this, but with the whole matter of a secret identity, the audience was severely limited, and Twilight likely would have told her that was for the better.

…Grace and humility…

She shook her head a little. All that remained now was finding Big Shot and overthrowing him once and for all; many of these thugs and supervillains were working for him or were assisted in some way, cut off the snake’s head…

An alarm suddenly went off, causing the costumed pegasus to stop dead on her tracks, the guards looking about nervously. Galloping was heard and a unicorn guard rushed up behind them.

“Emergency!” He shouted, eyes wide with fright.

“What’s wrong?” One of the guards flanking Mare Do Well asked.

“Security just… shut down! Gametime had something in his cell that disabled it! He, Shockwave, and Decepto have already broken out and headed straight for the storage!”

“Why didn’t anypony stop them?!” Mare Do Well demanded.

“That’s the thing, ALL the cells on that floor opened!” The guard said. “I barely made it out, had to warn you!”

“Great. You guys get outside now I’ll handle—“ Mare Do Well began, when suddenly the gem-powered security systems came back on, all of them glowing bright red instead of their usual green, and door locks and window shield systems immediately shut. Seconds later, a gem on the wall glowed and an image appeared on it. Mare Do Well narrowed her eyes at the grinning, helmeted pony.

“Gametime…” She snarled.

“Howdy-do, Mare Do Well!” Gametime said with a laugh. “As you may have figured out, Alkatrot is now under our control! It would seem the place isn’t as secure as you all thought, especially when Mr. Big Shot has eyes within its walls!”

Rainbow grit her teeth under the mask. That would explain how Shockwave, Gametime, and Frostmare had managed to escape before. She thought to herself. Apparently Big Shot had somehow infiltrated the place.

“Now, as I don’t stand for cheaters in my games, I want everypony to know that escape is not an option! Try, and our old friend Blackmane suffers an early disqualification…” He said, looking over to the side, where Shockwave stood, pointing his hoof at the bound warden. “By the moment, more cells are being unlocked, allow me to demonstrate!” He said, and suddenly the cells surrounding the costumed pegasus and the three guards flew open, and its occupants immediately charged out at them. “Play nice!” He said with a laugh, and the image flickered out.

“Alright, be ready, these guys aren’t armed so we can handle ‘em easy!” Mare Do Well said, standing back to back with the guards as no less then ten inmates drew closer to them.

Mare Do Well jumped away from the guards and took to the air, dive-bombing an inmate in the face and backflipping off of him, landing with her hind hooves on another, rendering both unconscious. Landing on the ground, Mare Do Well narrowly dodged one’s hoof strike, then did a spin, swishing her cape over another inmate's head and yanking him to the floor. Before he could stand, the costumed pegasus flung a flash bomb in his face, disorienting him before she reared her leg back and bucked him into another. The angry inmate tossed his unconscious ally aside and leaped at Mare Do Well, who swung her hoof up and cuffed him in the chin, sending him somersaulting backwards just in time for one of the guards to blast him with magic. One remaining inmate looked at the four and began to cower back into his cell as Mare Do Well approached, shoving her hoof into his chest.

“If I were you, I’d stay right here and think about how unlucky you all are to be locked in here with me...” She said coldly, her eyes narrowing dangerously behind the mask and earning a whimper and a nod in reply. Satisfied, Mare Do Well turned and walked back over to the guards. “Stay here with him. I’m going to go find the warden and deal with Gametime and the others.”

“Will you be alright?” The guard who’d brought the message asked.

“Of course I will. You doubting a pony as good at kicking bad guy flank as I am?” She asked with a grin under the mask, earning a smirk from the guard.

“Judging from the projection, it looks like they were in his office. You remember the way?” The guard asked.

“Yeah, these stairs and a left—“ Mare Do Well started only to see a door slam shut.

“Tsk tsk tsk, Mare Do Well…” Gametime’s voice announced. “Looks like you’ll have to find another way.” He said with a chuckle, earning a growl from the costumed pegasus.

“Ugh, what would Twilight do…” She muttered to herself, then she noticed a grating near the door. “Hey, does that lead to the other side?” She asked, pointing her hoof at it.

“Yeah, it should.” Another of the guards said. Catching on, his horn glowed and the grating came loose and popped off.

“Thanks!” Mare Do Well answered, squeezing into the duct passage and crawling through,

~

The ducts took her upwards, like the stairs had implied they’d have to, and a few turns here and there. She knew the place to have quite a few passages and was well-designed for its job, having once been a seaside fortress constructed back in the days of the Griffon Wars, making it perfect to remake into a prison of utmost security… almost utmost, what with the situation at hoof, but what mattered now was helping get it back under control, even if it meant clearing through several of her old adversaries to do it.

“Where does this end…” She muttered to herself, getting a little dizzy from the stagnant air in such a tight space as she’d had to crawl backwards most of the way for when she faced the next grating as she’d have to open it herself. Suddenly, she saw light over her shoulder and grinned, backing towards it. Turning and aiming her leg, a few crisp bucks managed to knock the grating loose and the pegasus crawled out, relieved to finally get some fresh, cool air.

Cool air?

Mare Do Well’s eyes widened as she took in her surroundings. The place was covered in frost and icicles hung over the ceiling and walls. The air was chilling to the point the costumed pegasus could see her breath. Great, looks like Frostmare had gotten out as well…

Her thoughts were interrupted when she was suddenly knocked down by an unseen assailant. Sliding across the ice on the floor, she spun and found herself face-to-face with Frostmare.

“Enjoy the décor?” The icy pegasus asked with a dark smile. “You really are out of luck this time, Mare Do Well…”

~

“Seems Mare Do Well’s met up with Frostmare…” Shockwave said, eyeing the projection the gem showed.

“I was concerned about her loyalty, honestly.” Decepto remarked, standing in the corner.

“Don’t be so paranoid, Decepto. Big Shot’s offer is going to clear her problems up so much faster then even trying to reform would.” Gametime said with a chuckle. She’ll get the job done, see?” He said, pointing a hoof at the projection, where now Frostmare was circling the costumed pegasus, slowly freezing her as she wrapped her forehooves around her, sneering into the superheroine’s ear.

As soon as he said this, though, a burst of light erupted from Mare Do Well, who had used her wings to set off a flash bomb that stunned Frostmare, allowing herself escape and she immediately struck the white pegasus in the face and sped off down the hall before she could recover.

“Clearly she’s out of practice.” Shockwave said, his helmet open as he helped himself to some candy in a bowl on the warden’s desk. “Better send her after her.”

“No, I’ve got some surprises of my own in store.” Gametime said, watching the projection and focusing, the gem on his helmet glowing. “Frostmare! Regroup at once!” He ordered.

“Why should I? I can handle this!” Frostmare said angrily, glaring about.

“We’ll handle her better with more backup. Trust me. We’ll fill you in when you get here.” The earth pony said, smirking as Frostmare shook her head and went in a different direction.

“So what was that about surprises of your own?” Decepto asked. “It seems a shame to waste somepony of her talent.”

“We’ll have use for her later. In the meantime, I believe you had planned that’ll be tough for her to follow, Decepto? I’ll keep her distracted till you’re ready.” Gametime asked with a wide grin. The hooded illusionist nodded and turned to leave.

~

Galloping down the hallway, Mare Do Well had taken down more then a few escaped inmates along the way, finally reaching a fork in the hall and unsure where to go next. A sudden cry for help caught her attention and she made a run for the left route and came to a screeching halt when she saw a bruised-up, beaten unicorn guard surrounded by three pony-like, gem-powered automatrons much like the kind Gametime used.

“I see you’ve found Alkatrot’s new toys! Ripped off the designs of yours truly when the authorities raided my funhouse in Baltimare; it’s only appropriate they fall under my control.” Gametime announced over the speakers. “Attack her!” The gems in the chests of the mechanical ponies glowed and they turned their attention on Mare Do Well.

“Come and get me!” The costumed pegasus taunted, taking a stance. The automatrons did not charge, but instead their heads split open revealing small cannons and they fired blasts of magical energy at her. Mare Do Well shuddered and rolled out of the way, barely avoiding the attacks and taking to the air. No matter how fast she moved, though, their shots always seemed to be right behind her.


“Ugh… this techno stuff is really getting on my nerves!” Mare Do Well grumbled, picking up speed and circling the automatrons; the enclosed room prevented her from achieving her higher flight speeds and she did not want the guard to be put in danger. An idea came to her and she swooped down then up in a wavy pattern, avoiding the shots as she pushed the buttons on her utility belt, letting the flash bombs slide into her hooves and she flung them at her foes.

In a fantastic explosion, the automatrons froze, providing Mare Do Well enough time to swoop forward, striking one with her hoof and grabbing the two others and smashing their heads together, causing them to collapse to the floor. One turned its head-cannon to shoot at the costumed mare, only to be stomped under her hoof. “You alright?” She asked, looking over at the fallen guard.

“Yeah, I’ll be okay.” The guard answered. “Gametime must have left the warden’s office and headed to the control room if he was able to activate those things. They’re responding to him now.” He explained.

“How am I supposed to get any further?” Mare Do Well asked, hoping she didn’t have to squeeze through any more ventilation ducts.

“Let me. He may have control, but I can focus enough magic to get this door to open a few seconds, I think.” The guard said, approaching a sealed door nearby and charged his magic into the gem embedded into it. After some intense concentration, the red gem turned green and the door slid open. “Hurry! Stop him!” The guard said urgently as the door closed between him and the pegasus.

“Will do.” Mare Do Well answered with a nod and galloped down the hall, continuing on her path to save the warden.

~

“What the hay… this hall go on forever?” Mare Do Well wondered, noticing how it seemed oddly endless, and then the hall seemed to twist somehow. Hearing a sound behind her, she paused and turned, only to notice a dragon chasing her, its massive jaws spread and prepared to devour her.

“WHOA!” Mare Do Well yelped out as the beast flew at her, snapping its jaws over her… and passing right through her.

“An illusion?” She muttered aloud. Only one pony could do that. “Decepto! Come on out!” She shouted, looking around. After speaking she felt dizzy, realizing the room was foggier, and the cloaked unicorn criminal suddenly materialized in front of her, his glowing, reptilian eye that stood in place of his head within his helmet stared down at her as she fell to her haunches.

“Request acknowledged, Mare Do Well…” Decepto said with a laugh. “Any last actions?” He asked. Smirking, Mare Do Well reached into her belt and pulled out a small filter and slid it under her mask. Taking a deep breath, she could feel her vision start to clear and she slowly stood up.

“What the…?!” Decepto asked, nervous now.

“The difference between us, Decepto? I learn from my mistakes, and change my style when I need to. You and the others are the same ol’ one-trick ponies!” Grinning, she tackled Decepto, knocking him into the wall and hoofed him in the chest several times. The costumed unicorn’s eye helmet glowed and emitted a blast of magic that knocked Mare Do Well off him. Mare Do Well grunted in pain and got back up on her hooves, flying around the hooded unicorn and as he turned, Decepto was greeted with a hoof to the helmet, shattering it and sending him flying off his hooves and into a wall.

“Well, that’s one down!” Mare Do Well said, smirking as she flew over, fanning away the smoke with her cape, then a look of shock came over her behind the mask as she saw Decepto had vanished. “Oh come on! The disappearing act again?! I really hate this pony!” She shouted indignantly. The endless hallway faded, and a door was present at the end. She’d have to deal with Decepto another time, the warden was still in danger. That thought in mind, the pegasus took to the air and flew through the door.

“I’m ready for you!” Mare Do Well shouted furiously as she soared through the next hallway and up the stairs, only to be stopped by another door that stood between her and the warden’s office. Pausing, she looked around for a grating and spied one. This could give her an element of surprise.

“Oh don’t be too put off, Mare Do Well!” Gametime said. “I’ve been watching your progress, and Shockwave’s been expecting you! Please, by all means go in through the front door!” He said, and the gem on the door glowed and opened; Mare Do Well readying a stance as her wings slid towards her belt. On the other side by the desk stood Shockwave, with the warden bound next to him.

“Well, look who showed up!” Shockwave announced, raising his hoof only to be greeted by a barrage of flashbombs that exploded violently in the unicorn’s face. Before he could react, the costumed pegasus swooped in, uppercutting him. Shockwave tumbled backward, crashing into the warden’s desk, causing the bound pony to roll himself away out of the crossfire.

Satisfied, Mare Do Well landed next to the warden. “It’s alright. I got him.” She said, only to suddenly get blown off her hooves and into the wall by a soundblast.

“Only thing you ‘got’, Mare Do Well, is on my last nerve!” the armored unicorn shouted, standing back up.

“Glad to know I’ve made some progress!” Mare Do Well replied, pulling herself from the wall and readying herself for his next move. Shockwave promptly raised both hooves at her.

“Some won’t be enough, hero! But I intend to top the charts with your demise!” Shockwave declared, firing twin soundblasts at the pegasus. Mare Do Well flew straight up and flew over him, flinging a flashbomb towards him, the bomb impacting with his left forehoof and exploding. The unicorn cried out in pain, waving his forehoof angrily and seeing the emitter had been damaged. “You’re gonna PAY FOR THAT!” He shouted furiously, firing rapid blasts at her. With one less sound blast emitter to worry about and the training she’d gotten from Spitfire, Mare Do Well had an easier time avoiding the criminal’s attacks, landing on the floor and doing a spin kick to send a bench flying his way. Shockwave fired a soundblast to shatter it, just in time for Mare Do Well to lunge through and slam her hoof into his chest, and another to his face, and for good measure, performed a loop in the air with another trick she’d learned, and drop-kicked him as hard as she could, sending him flying into a vase and head-first into a wall.

“Looks like your comeback’s come to a close, Shockwave!” Mare Do Well said, approaching. “Now care to take me to Gametime and I’ll be happy to—“ Before she could finish, a blast of frigid air burst into the room from behind her and froze her to the floor. Turning, Mare Do Well saw Frostmare now stood at the doorframe, smirking.

“Can’t let that happen, Mare Do Well…” She said, flying past her and pulling the barely-conscious Shockwave from the rubble. “Much as I wouldn’t mind bringing this to a close, Gametime is eager for a piece of the pony pie as well, so come on and follow if you can!” She said with a laugh, slamming her hoof on the ground and several jagged ice spires erupted from the floor and struck the ceiling. Shockwave weakly looked over at her, then aimed his hoof at the wall, blasting a hole through it. Slinging him over her back, Frostmare formed ice around her hooves and skated across a frozen path she created beneath her, disappearing into the room through the hole and down the halls.

Scowling, Mare Do Well turned and slid her mask above her snout and chewed off the rope holding the warden. “Go meet with the other guards, they’re regrouping back the way I came.”

“Thanks.” The warden said, standing up. “From what he bragged about to me, Big Shot supplied Gametime with a gem that allowed him to take control over this place’s security. He must have inside help for that so I’ll have a full investigation made once this is over.” He explained.

“That’s great, how do I help you guys get control of this place again?” Mare Do Well asked.

“Destroy the gem, he’s got it embedded in his helmet and the quickest way to the control room now is through that hole they made there. Security’s gonna shut down though so it’ll take a serious gesture to round up the inmates before the unicorn guards can reactivate it.” The warden said as Mare Do Well flew back, and swooped at high speed in a spinning motion as she’d done in her last fight with Gametime to smash through the thick ice spires.

“Don’t worry, I’ll have that covered by the time these creeps are handled.” Mare Do Well said, and with a nod to the warden, she flew through the hole in the wall and followed the trail of ice.

~

“Time to deal with this.” Mare Do Well said, galloping down the hallway leading to the control room, the door up ahead.

“Couldn’t agree more, Mare Do Well!” Gametime’s voice announced.

“I gotta stop thinking out loud…” The costumed pegasus muttered, though it did give indication her prey was still watching her. “Trust me, Gametime, I hate losing, and you should have gotten used to losing a long time ago ‘cause it’s about to happen again!” She said, slamming her hoof at the door, and the gem glowed and opened. She found herself in a large room with a control chamber at the end, but it was unoccupied.

“Welcome to the big show, Mare Do Well!” Gametime’s voice shouted, and suddenly a loud clunking could be heard, and he arrived in a four-legged contraption that the costumed pegasus could only assume was some sort of elite security automatron. Seconds later, Decepto appeared from behind him, followed by Frostmare and Shockwave who stood at the far corners as they approached in an open line with several griffon thugs from the battle for Cloudsdale.

“Big Shot’s plans are close to completion. He could stand to have you done away with when he unleashes it on Manehattan, and eventually everything else!” The helmeted earth pony said.

“We’ll see about that, you think coming at me all at once even after I’ve kicked your sorry flanks before is gonna make a difference?” Mare Do Well asked, gritting her teeth as she took a fighting stance. “Come on, give it your best!” She declared, only to suddenly be blasted with frigid air from Frostmare, freezing her up to her shoulders.

“Ohhh, no! You misunderstood, Mare Do Well! There won’t be a big final boss round here! Just a joyfully one-sided beatdown from everypony who’s wanted to smash your costumed flank into the ground!” Gametime explained with a smug sneer, towering over her in the automatron he piloted.

“So, this the part where we tell our captive audience about the endgame?” Shockwave asked, a slight stagger still in his step from his previous beatdown.

“NOT A CHANCE!” Gametime shouted suddenly. “We go into the monologuing, she pulls a daring escape at the last minute, uses it against us, and then gets the chance to prepare for him!” He explained, earning a mutual laugh from the other villains. “We all already know, that’s enough for anypony.”

Mare Do Well struggled but to no avail. “So… you really do have the full details, huh?” she asked.

“Absolutely, Mare Do Well. It’s only a shame you won’t live to see it.” Decepto explained. “Once we’re done with you, we’ll bring your beaten, mutilated corpse for him to see, and partake in the next steps.”

“It’s over, Mare Do Well. No need for more discussion.” Shockwave said, grinning through his damaged helmet.

“You’re right…” Mare Do Well said, hanging her head, and took a breath. “NOW!” She shouted. The moment the words left her mouth, Frostmare grinned and turned her hoof towards her companions. Gametime, Shockwave, Decepto, and the griffons barely had the time to turn and look at her in confusion before they were promptly engulfed in a fierce blast of cold, encasing them in ice and preserving their shocked expressions. Smirking in satisfaction, Frostmare turned towards Mare Do Well and her bright blue eyes flashed, and the ice around Mare Do Well shattered off her.

“They won’t be going anywhere.” Frostmare said as Mare Do Well flew up to the frozen Gametime and pulled the helmet from his head, smashing the gem with her hoof and the sound of the magic-endowed security system powering down could be heard. “So, how’d I do?” The white pegasus asked.

“Totally awesome job, Snow Angel.” Mare Do Well said, throwing the helmet aside. “Even had me wondering for a sec that you’d take Big Shot’s offer you told me about. Especially with the tricks back there earlier to fool the others.”

“I had to keep their trust, and make sure I got the details on his plan for you.” Frostmare explained. “So how’s the security going to get fixed?”

“With it brought down, the warden’s gonna get his unicorn guards to repower it, but if you can help make sure any other inmates don’t go anywhere they’ll have this place back in order in no time.” The costumed pegasus replied. “We’d better go meet up with the others and make sure they’re safe.”

~

“So Frostmare was in on it the entire time?” Warden Blackmane asked.

“Yeah. Soon as she ran into me, she made a deal with me, one I’d like you guys to uphold because she did an awesome job at it.” Mare Do Well explained, looking over at the icy pegasus at her side. “She pretended to accept Big Shot’s offer, join them and find out what his plan was for me, in exchange for a transfer to a facility closer to Ponyville that gives her family regular visitation rights.”

The warden raised an eyebrow, but Frostmare smirked. “I froze the other inmates. That’ll give you plenty of time to put them back where they belong. I’m… I’m sorry for all the rough treatment. The offer…. Well it was tempting but I realized my sister wouldn’t want me to accept.” She said, looking downward and her smirk fading. “Even if it means staying like…. this a little longer...” She raised up her white, glistening hoof sadly.

“You have my solemn promise, Snow Angel, the facility at Canterlot will have top unicorn scholars working on you. They will find a way to cure you. And I suppose I can accept the terms, as your actions do, in a way, show tremendous progress in your rehabilitation. I’ll notify your family as well.” The warden replied.

“Thanks.” The icy pegasus said.

“Need any more help rounding up anypony?” Mare Do Well asked.

“Nahh, we got it from here. Thanks a lot for your help, Mare Do Well.” The warden answered.

“Well then count me gone. I could use a little fresh air.” The costumed pegasus replied.

“Of course. I’ll have one of the guards escort you out, then.” The warden replied with a smirk, turning to leave with Frostmare. One of the unicorn guards raised a hoof, gave the warden a nod, and accompanied Mare Do Well back to the entrance.

“Well, you have my thanks, too. Best of luck with handling whatever Big Shot’s got planned.” The guard said.

“Hey, anytime!” Mare Do Well answered, smirking under her mask. “And trust me, he’ll be out of the picture in no time!” Spreading her wings, the pegasus flew off the island and back towards the city.

~

“Sir, I have… distressing news…” Black Hex explained as she entered a dimly-lit office and bowed her head. “The siege on Alkatrot was a disaster. Mare Do Well escaped, and the others have been recaptured…” She gazed up at the large earth pony in the mask, he slowly approached from behind the desk but paused when the gem communicator on his desk flashed brightly and touched it with his hoof.

“Zerok?” He said softly.

“Yes, boss.” A gravelly voice on the other end asked.

“Return at once. Our plans have been exposed and it’s only a matter of time before Mare Do Well comes up with a means to counter it. We need to accelerate production and be ready for acquiring the last piece of our plan from Max Diamonds… whether he wants it or not.” He said with a low chuckle.

“Perhaps, sir, it’s best Mare Do Well is present when we carry it out. I want to see her witness failure, after all.” The changeling suggested.

The large earth pony thought about it for a moment.

“Perhaps. She need only be lured out when the time comes, everything will be revealed to her.” Big Shot answered. “I want you here in no less then ten minutes, Zerok.”

On the outskirts of Alkatrot, the guard who’d escorted Mare Do Well outside smirked, his eyes briefly turning completely blue. Looking back, his appearance shimmered and in his place stood a mare pegasus guard, who promptly flew away without another word.

~

“Welcome back, Rainbow!” Twilight said with a smile, having just teleported her friend back in after receiving a message from one of the candles she’d given her. The pegasus immediately collapsed to the floor, throwing her hat and mask off.

“Thanks, Twi… I’m gonna be napping for the rest of the night after all I’ve been through.” Rainbow replied. “But after all that… well, I got a good lead with Big Shot’s plan. I’m REALLY gonna need some help with this.”

“Oh?” The unicorn asked.

“Frostmare gave me this right before we met with the warden. It’s some kinda drug Gametime used to handle the guards and free the others. Can you do a spell or something to… I dunno… scan it?” Rainbow asked, her wing popping open her belt and tossing a tissue from it, Twilight levitated the small cloth and closed her eyes, the residue on the cloth shimmered for a second, and then Twilight’s eyes snapped open in alarm.

“Rainbow, this is bad. I recognize most of the components go into Love Poison!” The unicorn said. “It’s different, somehow though. Like a weaponized version!”

“Frostmare told me Big Shot’s planning to use it on Manehattan, and eventually other places too.” Rainbow answered. “So he’d have a bunch of stupefied ponies staring off into space spewing lovey-dovey pet names and stuff?”

“I doubt it’s that simple, Rainbow. Love Poison’s dangerous enough already. If it’s weaponized, he could easily pacify everypony in the city. Imagine what he could gain if he got this stuff on the market after such a demonstration as an entire city?!” Twilight said.

“We have time, Frostmare said he’s still not completely ready yet but she has no idea who Big Shot is or where he is making the stuff; but he’s planning to have it ready for the Great Winter Festival at the end of….” Rainbow’s eyes widened. “….This week…”

“I’ll get this stuff analyzed and try and get a cure made. If we can do that, we’ll be able to stop him, or at least counter it should he get it released. But the festival’s a very upscale event, it won’t be easy to get in there.” Twilight explained.

“Well, I think I have a solution to that…” Rarity’s voice said from the door, the white unicorn grinning widely. “Congratulations, Rainbow Dash, or should I say Prisma Glimmer... Max Diamonds invited you by letter to join him at the festival. Think, Rainbow, you save Manehattan, get a date with a rich, handsome pony...” Rarity said, circling Rainbow, who smirked in amusement.

“Well, I guess that covers that question… wait, Max! Big Shot’s gonna be after him too!” Rainbow said as realization set in. “At least this gives me a chance to keep him safe. Thanks, Rarity.”

“Oh come now, Rainbow, he promised to make it up to you back on New Years, so nothing to thank me for, at least till I get an outfit made for you.” The seamstress said with a smirk.

“Well, I guess we got a plan, now. I’ll get to work on a cure for this, and Rainbow, I’d suggest for the week keep close watch on Max during your Manehattan patrols to make sure Big Shot’s thugs don’t come after him beforehoof.” Twilight said. “Try not to be too excited about your ‘date’.” She said with a playful wink, causing an eyeroll from the pegasus.

~

“I don’t understand, Princess… can’t you handle this before Big Shot can go through with it?” Rainbow asked, sitting on a rooftop as she looked at the starlit sky, the Princess of the Night standing by her side.

“This is your destiny to face, Rainbow Dash.” Luna answered. “Your greatest battle yet is fast-approaching… be warned…I still feel a sense that there is more to your adversary then you realize. Your growing bond with Twilight Sparkle and your own strength and belief in that will be what you need to win in the end.”

Rainbow Dash lowered her head. “You have that much faith in me, huh?” She asked.

“Why wouldn’t I, Rainbow Dash? After all you’ve managed to accomplish, you don’t believe in yourself?” The Princess asked.

“Good point.” The cyan pegasus replied with a small laugh.

“Fight hard, and you will win this.” Luna said, leaving Rainbow Dash alone with her thoughts once again.

Author's Note:

And thus at long last did I finally find time for another chapter! With Rainbow finally in tip top shape and showing her old enemies they're no longer a match for her, she's ready... or is she? The finale is near, repent now!!!!