• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 3,419 Views, 143 Comments

The Day the Darkness Died - lunabrony



Twilight and her friends have enjoyed peace for a long time since the defeat of Queen Chrysalis. But their simple lives are about to be turned upside down when a few Changelings turn up out of nowhere. These are their stories.

  • ...
10
 143
 3,419

Afternoon/Pinkie 2

With the summer sun high in the sky, its intense life-giving light flooding into every house in Ponyville, many ponies were spending the day outdoors. Unfortunately, someponies were not so lucky, and that included Pinkie Pie. Although she had begged Mr. Cake to let her bake muffins outside for the afternoon rush at the bakery, the stallion had declined.

"Sorry, Pinkie." He said. "Too much going on outside. If the mischevious children don't get them, the insects will. We've got a business to run, we'll just have to keep them inside today." He explained.

"Aw, nuts!" Pinkie sighed, and returned to the kitchen. She put an oven mitt over her hoof and pulled out a tray of blueberry muffins from the oven. Her own Changeling sat nearby, drooling with anticipation. "Let them cool down first, then you can taste them for me!" Pinkie said cheerfully, and set the muffin tin on the counter by her first batch, or where her first batch had been a moment ago.

"It's gone!?" She gasped. She pointed a hoof at the Changeling. "I didn't say you could eat them all, Changeychanga! Or is it CherryChangey?" She wrinkled her nose. "Maybe I better just call you Steve."

Steve narrowed its eyes in annoyance.

"But if you didn't eat all my muffins, then who-" Pinkie facehooved. "Oh, of COURSE." She rolled her eyes. "Oh well! I'll just make more, which means more time with my favoritest favoritey favorite Changeling in Ponyville!"

Steve rubbed his neck bashfully.

"But first, the suggestion box!" Pinkie said, and did a very strange thing that even she should not have been able to do. She reached into the solid brick wall, and pulled out a transparent screen, cluttered with lines of text. "Let's see if anypony gave me any good suggestions today!" She chirped.

"Somepony15 writes, Pinkie, did you ever get your Flugelhorn?"

The party pony stomped her hoof, and stared into the wall. "No! But I WANT a flugelhorn!" She demanded. Then scrolled down a bit. "Prince Black Bane writes, Pinkie...is... insane?" Her hair deflated a bit at that, and she pushed the wall of text back into the wall where it disappeared. "That's not nice..." She said sadly, but her sadness was interrupted by a sudden shaking of both back legs. "Oh! Twitcha twitch! That sounds like Princess Celestia! Somepony's talking about the Changelngs!"

She bolted upstairs, the Changeling stayed behind. He was never entirely clear on how she could appear on the other side of Ponyville in mere moments. Pinkie returned a minute later. "Doesn't want my help, fine. And not even Rainbow Dash appreciates a perfectly good song! She's too cool for it!" She sighed. For a moment her hair started to deflate again, then bounced right back up. "Oh! I know! Let's check the birthdays today!" Off she went again, onto another completely random top with barely a moment of rest. Pinkie pulled out an enormous chart, it was completely covered in names. "Here's my birthday planner, I have everypony in Ponyville on here! Plus some zebras and dragons!"

Pinkie scanned the chart. "Only two birthdays today, Streaky Clean and Snowdrop!" She giggled. "Come on, Steve! We need to go visit them a happy birthday! Or else they'll be sad, and nopony deserves to be sad on their birthday!"

Pinkie called to Mr. Cake that she was going out for a moment, turned off the oven, and bounced upstairs with her Changeling shadow.

A bit of time passed, Pinkie and Steve were on the far side of Ponyville, where Pinkie was just picking herself up from falling while singing her 'make time go faster' song. "I shoulda watched where I was going, I'm a silly filly!" She looked down, and picked up a rock. "Oh! I don't have this one for my collection yet!" She tucked it away. "Almost to Streaky Clean's house, Steve! S'go!"

The rest of the afternoon, understandably, was a flurry of birthday songs and singing. By the time Pinkie returned to the bakery, the sun was beginning to set, The Cakes had left behind a chore list of things for Pinkie to do the next day, and Steve was exhausted. Pinkie was not. She flung open the back door and burst inside, crashing right into Princess Celestia.

"Pinkie! My goodness, what's the hurry?" Celestia hadn't budged, it was the equivalent of a marble rolling into a brick.

"Princess!" Pinkie quickly genuflected. "We were just out wishing the ponies of Ponyville a happy birthday! What brings you here? It's not your birthday is it? No, it can't be, your birthday isn't for another 217 days!"

Celestia blinked several times, trying to do the math in her head, but quickly gave up. "No, Pinkie, it's not my birthday. I'm just doing routine followups on the integration of the Changelings. Any problems to report?"

"Nope! Steve has been a super duper looper helper!" Pinkie said proudly, then made a face. "Looper, ugh, what a terrible movie that was."

Princess Celestia looked confused, but then most ponies were often confused around Pinkie. "What- never mind. I'm glad to hear you're doing well, I'll leave you to your work. I wish I could stay longer, but the day is almost over and I need to visit Rarity next. After that I should be home just in time to watch my sister raise the moon." She said with pride in her voice. "Keep up the good work, Pinkie Pie."

Celestia made her exit, and Pinkie attempted a goodbye, but her mouth was full of cookies already. When she could finally talk again, she turned the oven back on. "Come on, Steve! How about you and I make a giant super huge cake and then eat all of it, just us, for no good reason!" She exclaimed with excitement.

Steve lit up and nodded quickly. Pinkie might be a pain at times to hang around all day, but dang it if the rewards weren't spectacular.