• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 3,419 Views, 143 Comments

The Day the Darkness Died - lunabrony



Twilight and her friends have enjoyed peace for a long time since the defeat of Queen Chrysalis. But their simple lives are about to be turned upside down when a few Changelings turn up out of nowhere. These are their stories.

  • ...
10
 143
 3,419

Afternoon/Twilight 2

Twilight Sparkle was trotting in a circle. Around and around she went, as she always did when she was worked up about something. She paced so frequently that Spike swore that particular circular section of floor was lower than the rest of the Library.

Spike gazed his worried eyes over at the scroll which had arrived an hour earlier, and lay opened on a desk. "Come on, Twilight. It's not that big of a deal. So Princess Celestia is making an unannounced visit. It's not the end of the world."

"Not the end of the world?!" Twilight snapped, her eye twitching slightly. "I'm sorry, Spike. I didn't mean to yell at you. But she could have at least said why she was coming! All she said was she wanted to meet with me! Today! In a few hours! Which was a few hours ago!" She insisted. "I'm sure it's about the Changeling thing. What if she's late? What if I'M late? What if I can't get the Library reorganized by then?"

"A princess is never late, nor is she early. A princess arrives precisely when she means to." Spike recited.

Twilight sighed, continuing her orbit. "Shelves have been dusted?"

"Yes, Twilight."

"Books have been put away?"

"Yes, Twilight."

"Calm down, I'm sure everything is going to be fine."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "When is morning in Ponyville EVER fine when there's so much work to do? I feel like I'm running myself into the ground."

The dragon pointed at the worn out section of floor. "Well, technically..." Spike looked excited. "Morning in Ponyville, huh? That sounds like it'd make a good song."

"Spike! Focus!" Twilight said. There was a knock at the door. "Oh, that's her! How do I look, is my mane alright?"

"Twilight, you're overreacting. You're her number one student. She doesn't care what your mane looks like. I'm sure she'd take on an audience with you even if you were dressed in a plaid suit and completely bald," The purple dragon assured her, and went to answer the door.

"Spike! That's not even funny!" Twilight exclaimed.

Princess Celestia entered, smiling as kindly and patiently as ever. "Good afternoon, Twilight. I hope I find you well."

The unicorn did her best to compose herself. "Yes, yes I'm alright. What can I help you with today, princess? You've already borrowed all of my books at least twice." It was her attempt at a joke. It was a terrible one.

"No, Twilight, I am not here for books today. I am here on the matter of Changelings, a matter which you are well experienced with, and which I still owe you a debt of gratitude for."

"Oh, that? Anypony would have done the same thing when Canterlot was threatened."

Celestia shook her head. "No, they wouldn't have. Many may have tried to defend it, but many would have also failed. You succeeded, which is part of what makes you so unique. I wouldn't have it any other way. But enough of that. What have you done concerning the Changeling matter? How have you treated them? What are your methods? I want to hear your own solution, Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight sat on her haunches, frowning. "They were mostly brought to me by the others, there were four of them that we found altogether. Applejack had hers tied up..."

Celestia snorted with amusement, and quickly covered her snout with a hoof to hide her smile.

"...and I think Rarity was using hers as a fashion model. But once all was said and done, they were rounded up and kept here, where they were treated kindly."

"And why did you treat them kindly, Twilight? You act as if the situation in Canterlot never happened."

Pinkie Pie, at that moment, burst out of a nearby cabinet. "Oh! That's just what Jphyper said!" Both Celestia and Twilight gave her a concerned look. "Who?"

Celestia coughed patiently. "If you don't mind, Pinkie, this is an important matter between myself and Twilight at the moment. I hate to be rude, but might you leave us? I assure you I will come visit when things are settled here."

The party pony gasped. "Oh! I'm a silly filly! Of course!" And disappeared back into the cabinet, and the doors shut behind her.

Twilight took a moment to recover from that. "I treat them with kindness because, essentially, they are a hive mind, Princess. Under the control of Queen Chrysalis, they acted with evil intent because they were led by a queen with evil intent. But we don't know what happened to her, we can only assume she's gone forever."

Celestia interrupted. "Never assume that evil is gone forever, Twilight. I learned that the hard way myself. She may be gone, yes, but do not presume so confidently that she will never be seen again. Continue."

Twilight turned red. "They are no longer led by Chrysalis, they are drones without a hive. And without a queen, I imagine they are akin to children. Lost, frightened, confused. The last thing they need is for me to yell at them. Is that right?"

Princess Celestia smiled. "You continue to astound me, Twilight. Where are they now?"

"They wanted to help, and I sent them off with the others. One is with Pinkie, one with Applejack, one with Rarity, and one with Rainbow Dash. I'm too busy studying for that test of yours, and Fluttershy won't leave her house."

That got her a soft smile of knowing. "About that test, Twilight."

"Yes?"

"Expect the unexpected. I have nothing but confidence that you will pass with... flying colors." Celestia said. "You'll do wonderfully, I know you will. In the meantime, as long as I am in Ponyville, I may as well check in on the others and ensure that the Changelings are indeed behaving themselves." She nuzzled her number one student. "Don't worry so much." She said, and made her way out the door, which closed behind her.

Spike sighed with relief. "See, that wasn't so bad was it? I told you everything was going to be fine."

Twilight groaned and collapsed to the floor in a pile of books.