• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 3,419 Views, 143 Comments

The Day the Darkness Died - lunabrony



Twilight and her friends have enjoyed peace for a long time since the defeat of Queen Chrysalis. But their simple lives are about to be turned upside down when a few Changelings turn up out of nowhere. These are their stories.

  • ...
10
 143
 3,419

Out of the Frying Pan

Fluttershy screamed. "But I don't want to be dinner! Eat Twilight first!" She whimpered. She immediately turned to look at the purple unicorn. "I'm sorry, Twilight. I didn't mean that." Her ears were pinned. "You're such a nice pony, I don't want them to eat you."

Twilight sighed. "Let's just stop that kind of talk right now. Nopony is getting eaten, and that's final." She looked annoyed. "We can find a way out of this, we always do."

"I beg to differ, you're not going anywhere!" The leader of the Dogs said. "My name is Alpha, and my pack is eating well tonight."

Rainbow Dash looked suspicious. "Your name is Alpha? Is that really your name, or do you just call yourself that?" She snorted. "Cause I mean, that's really convenient. Doesn't matter though, I'm still gonna give you a walloping for threatening my friends no matter what your name is."

One of the Diamond Dogs bitter. "It's more frightening than Leslie, at least."

Alpha snarled at him with such ferocity that several of the other Dogs whimpered. "Do you want to lead this pack, Carl?"

"No."

"Then shut yer muzzle. Question is, how do we get 'em down?"

Rarity spoke up, knowing from experience that Diamond Dogs were not all that bright. "Why don't you just let us down, darlings? I not to fight back. We'll cooperate." She said sweetly.

Rainbow Dash looked annoyed. "We will?" Applejack kicked her. "Oh, yeah, we will! Totally!"

"I don't know, what if you're lying?" Alpha rubbed his chin with a paw.

"I promised not to fight back, and a lady never lies." Rarity said. "It's horribly unbecoming."

"Very well." Alpha still sounded unconvinced, but slashed at the rope holding the net with a paw. The netting fell to the ground, and the area was instantly filled with bursts of rainbow colored equines running in every direction.

"You said a lady never lies!" Alpha exclaimed angrily.

"Ladies don't. But I'm not a lady. I'm a fighter!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, knocking the skulls of two dogs together in a comical fashion.

Applejack was running circles around another two with her lasso, which had been tied around her waist. She never left home without it. "Yeehaw!" She exclaimed. "It's jes' like the rodeo!" She hollered.

Fluttershy, on the other hand, was not having as much luck. A Diamond Dog sat directly in front of her.

"Whatcha gonna do about me, pink pony?" He sneered.

Fluttershy whimpered, but took a deep breath. "You hurt my friends, the pain never ends!" She growled. The Diamond Dog started laughing.

"Is that all?"

Fluttershy's eye twitched, and she turned her full attention on him... and Stared. "You will leave. Right now."

The Dog's smile faded. "But..."

Fluttershy Stared harder. "RIGHT NOW!" She hollered in such a tone that all four of her other friends stopped what they were doing to look at her.

The Diamond Dog whimpered, and took off into the darkness with his tail between his legs.

"Anyone else?" Fluttershy turned her attention on one of the mutts harrassing Rarity, and the rest of them took off.

"Whoa." Dash said. "Fluttershy, that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen."

"Extremely brave of you, darling!" Rarity agreed.

Fluttershy was back to normal and had tears in her eyes, trying to chase after the Diamond Dogs. Twilight pinned her tail down. "No! Wait! Come back!" The pegasus yelled. "BE MY FRIEND!" She demanded.

Twilight just shook her head. "Let's get out of here, Flutters. You did good, but I don't want to be here when they get back," she said gently.

Renewed on their journey to save their missing dragon, they pressed forward into the night towards the ruins of the old castle.

***

"Thirty one buckets of oats on the waaaaaaaalllll!" Spike sang. "Come on, cheese-legs, there's still thirty one more buckets left!" The dragon had been singing for well over an hour, a time consuming melody which he'd been taught by none other than Sweetie Belle.

Chrysalis growled with annoyance. "I swear to Celestia, if you call me cheese legs one more time, I'll send you to the depths of Tartarus."

"No you won't!" Spike said defiantly.

Chrysalis glared at him. "And how do you know that?"

"Because you'd have to explain yourself to Twilight, and Twilight always wins. She's the best. How many times has she beaten you now? Three?"

His captor slammed her hoof down in the ground. "Twice. And one of those was a technicality."

"You're a technicality." Spike said.

"That doesn't make sense."

"Your face doesn't make sense!" Spike quipped. He was a child after all, and even child dragons were prone to such games.

Chrysalis snarled. She was about to say something else, but a noise at the entrance of the cavern distracted her from whatever she'd been going to say. "Wait here, I need to check on this." She said.

Spike rolled his eyes. "Like I have a choice," he sighed, slumping within the prison that contained him. This whole experience was really starting to get to him, and he was starting to wonder when Rarity would finally come swooping in to save him.

Chrysalis wandered through the darkness, her eyes long since adjusted to the gloom. "Who's there!?" She demanded.

She got no answer. Just another noise near the entrance.

The Queen wandered closer, turned a corner, and immediately felt the beginnings of a migraine working its way into her skull. "Oh, NO. Not you." She protested. "Anypony but you."

Pinkie Pie held up a steaming pastry, a wide smile on her face, a smile that never seemed to go away.

"Cinnamon bun?"