• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 989 Views, 42 Comments

Chronicles of a brave heart - MaverickHunterZero



Braveheart, a pegacorn, must find the power within him to protect all that he holds dear.

  • ...
10
 42
 989

chapter 5: Calm before the storm

Chapter 5: Calm before the storm.

Dear mom and dad.
Strange things have happened. After just one week since I started my job as a royal guard, the princess called me. For safety measures I can’t give you the specifics.

The princess decided to send me to Ponyville to help with the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration. She even arranged my staying in the library, until Twilight Sparkle arrives there.

My job is to give duties to five ponies, those being: making sure the sky is clean for the celebration, preparing a local food banquet, the decorations for the main event, designating somepony to play a song for the princess, and the after party.

I have spent a week here already, and I couldn’t believe when this Pink pony called Pinkie Pie threw a party, just because I moved there. She can be hyperactive and a little unbearable at times, but she has a good heart. After the welcome party, I asked her to plan the after party, and she agreed before I even finished the question.

I managed to meet Lyra and Bonbon again! It was a little awkward to explain them about why I concealed my wings at the time I met them, still, they said I had nothing to be ashamed of. I have been spending most of my free time with them.

I just finished giving the last chore: The sky clearing. It was such a drag, the princess asked specifically for a Pegasus named Rainbow Dash. At first she evaded my request, she would give me an ambiguous answer or act like she hadn’t heard me, it was not until I pursued her for more than two hours at full throttle, that she finally acknowledged me, and agreed to do the job. Man, she’s the fastest flyer I have ever met, even faster than you mom. Still she lacks the control and focus you had, those errors allowed me to keep close on her trail.

The pony in charge of the decorations is a designer that goes by the name of Rarity. She’s one of the most beautiful mares I have ever seen, she may seem a little annoying at first, but she genuinely worries about everypony else, she even insisted on taking my armor to polish it for the celebration, she said and I quote ‘we can’t have one of the princess’s escorts looking like an awful mess on that dusty armor, now, can we?’. She even offered to do it free of charge, calling it a welcome to Ponyville gift.

The food preparations rests on the shoulders of an earth pony by the name of Applejack, she is one of the most trustworthy ponies I have ever met, maybe even more than some of the Dawn Warriors. She’s awfully strong, and won’t hesitate to help anypony in need. Even at her young age, she is already the head of the Apple clan farmers on this side of the Everfree Forest.

The music job was given to Fluttershy…. Yes the same Fluttershy that nursed me back to health… I still feel awful for disappearing from her cottage like that, but she says it’s all right. She is really nice to be around with, even though she doesn’t speak a lot.

It’s already 12 p.m. Twilight must be about to arrive according to the princess estimations, so I’m going to go and meet her.
I hope to be able to visit you soon


With love,

Braveheart.


The warm air that swept into the library brought distant memories to the Pegacorn, as he finished the entry on his diary. He decided to let the happy memories through while keeping away the sad ones.

“Well time isn’t going to wait for me, now is it?” said the young Pegacorn as he got on all fours, and headed towards the library entrance.

Just as the stallion approached the door, the doorknob started to turn, and with ease the door opened revealing at the entrance a tan colored mare, with blue eyes, gray mane, and a scroll adorned with a blue ribbon as her cutie mark. Brave recognized the mare as the Mayor of Ponyville.

“Well hello there Braveheart.” Greeted the Mayor, rather hastily. “Sorry to intrude like this, but we seem to have a situation on our hooves.”

“What is it mayor?” asked the Pegacorn.

“There have been reports of howling near the Everfree Forest, we are worried that some creatures may be getting near the borders of the forest, and may attack a resident.”

Brave stood there, and listened. As the Mayor finished there was a look of concern on the Pegacorn.

“The only creatures I can think of are the Timberwolves, but they usually dwell on the eastern edge of the forest. The most probable thing is that one of the wolves went astray and is looking for food.”

“Could you take care of it Brave? It would be terrible if one of those creatures made a disaster of tonight’s festival.”

“Do not worry mayor; I’ll take care of it. But first I need to go meet a very important pony, after that, I’ll head straight to the Forest.” Braveheart reassured the mayor with a warm smile.

The mayor smiled back and after both ponies bid their farewells, they departed on opposite directions.

As Brave walked towards Sugarcube Corner, he was intercepted by the marshmallow white unicorn, Rarity.
“Well hello there, sir Braveheart.” greeted Rarity, her Sapphire eyes fixed on Braveheart’s own. “Fancy meeting you here.”

“Sure is miss Rarity. How is my armor coming along?” Replied Brave politely, in truth Brave only acted that proper when he was around Rarity, it seemed to please the mare, and he didn't mind working on his manners.

“Oh, it’s almost done; it’s a really beautiful armor. I assure you, you’ll look dashing.” Boasted the pristine white unicorn, proud of the work she had done. “You can pick it up whenever you wish. I have to go and decorate the town hall right now, but Sweetiebelle will be at Carousel Boutique.”

“Thanks Miss Rarity, how much am I going to owe you?” Asked the Pegacorn. “I insist on paying for the services you provided me.”

“Oh really, it’s nothing dear, but if you insist, you could invite me to breakfast tomorrow, after the celebration.”

“Sure thing” said the Pegacorn smiling “now, if you’ll excuse me I got to run, or I’ll be late. I’ll go and pick up the armor later.”

The two ponies bid their farewells and parted ways.


Braveheart could see the chariot arriving as he reached Sugarcube Corner, with the Princess’s Protégé on board, as well as her dragon assistant. As the chariot came to a stop, Brave approached the two Pegasus that pulled the cart, and greeted them, he then approached Twilight, and stood firm at the side of the chariot until the unicorn noted his existence.

“Braveheart reporting for duty, miss Sparkle.” Said the Pegacorn, giving the traditional royal guard salute.

“Braveheart?” started the startled unicorn, before continuing on an annoyed tone “Ugh. What are you doing here?”

Ignoring the offending tone of the question Braveheart, still saluting answered “I was sent here by Princess Celestia, to prepare your accommodations, as well as to help with the preparations for the celebration.”

“Well ok then, you are dismissed.” Twilight motioned the Pegacorn to lower his salute. “I won’t need your services-”
Twilight was interrupted by her young dragon assistant. “But Twilight, remember that the princess told you to be nicer to Braveheart, he has done nothing but trying to help you.”

“Don’t worry Spike,” reassured guard, before turning to see Twilight in the eye. “I have other matters to attend to before the celebration. I’ll meet you at the library when I’m done.”

Braveheart turned and started walking in the direction of carousel boutique, but stopped as soon as he heard Twilight say his name.

“…Braveheart, Spike is right, I’m sorry.”


Not even turning to see her, the Pegacorn just replied. “Don’t worry, Princess Celestia explained why you don’t like me, and I don’t judge you.” The Pegacorn turned to lock gazes with the lavender mare, a reassuring smile on his face. “Still, I got a job to do, and so do you. See you later.”

Braveheart then continued his walk towards the boutique leaving the unicorn, and her assistant behind. As he trotted by, he waved at a certain pink pony, a couple of seconds later, a loud gasping sound was heard behind him, and the same pink pony passed flying beside Braveheart, leaving him with a surprised look. Should I worry? Nah, it’s just Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie.


After a couple minutes Brave arrived at Rarity’s clothes store. The sign on the lavender door read open, and so the Pegacorn proceeded to open the door the bell ringed as he entered, as he was greeted by the blue walls that adorned the circular room, along with all the dresses, saddles, and suits that were on display, still there was no sign of the ivory unicorn's little sister.

Brave then heard a squeaky voice greeting him. “Oh, oh. Welcome to Carousel Boutique where everything is um…. Chick and magnifico?”

The voice belonged to Rarity’s little sister Sweetiebelle, a young filly with a white coat, Jade colored eyes and a pink colored curly mane.

Braveheart chuckled at the performance of the small filly. “Hello there Sweetiebelle, nice to see you. I came to pickup my armor.”

“Hi Braveheart, it’s nice to see you too.” greeted the small unicorn filly. “Rarity isn’t home, but she told me you would come by, just a second.”

The small filly focused energy on her horn, and a jade aura appeared around it, but just as the aura had appeared it disappeared. “j-just hold on a second, I’ll get it” said the ashamed unicorn filly, gathering more energy on the tip of her horn, just to have it disappear again, leaving the unicorn filly exhausted.

“Take it easy Sweetiebelle, you still need to learn to control your flow of magic, just tell me where it is and I’ll pick it up.” Brave looked at her with the most reassuring smile he could muster. “I’m sure you’ll get the hold of it in no time, just keep practicing”

“Really? Oh thanks Braveheart.” The happy filly hugged Brave, and as she let herself go, she leaded Braveheart into the back room, where his armor, as well as some half done dresses resided.

Using a telekinetic spell Brave levitated his armor and stored it way in a box that Sweetie had brought.
“Thanks again Sweetiebelle, have a nice day.”

“You too Brave.”


Brave headed towards the library, to leave the armor in his room, and to pickup Dawnbreaker. He still needed to explore the Everfree to find that stray Timberwolf.

“HeythereBravey!!Ohmygoshididn'thopetomeetyouheresosoon,youwontguesswhat,Imetaponywhoisgoingtolivehere,itwasthemostexitingthingever,shewaslikewhaandIwentlike*gasp*andthenIknewshewasnew,andifshewasknewshedidn'tknewanyponyaround,soIhadtothrowherawelcomeparty,andnowyoureherecanyoubeliveit?” Brave was suddenly attacked by a random Pinkie Pie that happened to be in front of the other side of the door of the library as he opened it. “Whoa! Take it easy Pinkie, I could barely understand you.”

Pinkie took a deep breath and re acted the whole story, now making spaces between words. “- and then you asked me to slow down, and the author explained again what we just did and… Hey! Are you even listening?”

Braveheart took his head out of the fridge, with a daisy sandwich being levitated. “Sorry Pinkie, it’s just I have to do a quick run into the Everfree, and I needed something to eat before I go.”

“Oh you silly pony, you should just had to tell me you were in a hurry and your dear auntie Pinkie would have gotten outta your way.”

“Auntie? No, never mind that. Thanks Pinkie I’ll just go grab my sword and I’ll be gone, so you can continue organizing the party.”

“okie dokie lokie! Just be sure to return for my party.”

“Sure. I wouldn’t miss it.”After finishing his sandwich Brave hurried upstairs grabbed his sword, opened his window and took flight towards the forest.


I can’t believe I'm finally going to set foot on the Everfree again.

Braveheart was just at the borderline between Ponyville and the Everfree Forest; he felt a chill run down his spine. It seemed ages since he moved out of his house to go and train as a soldier. Dismissing the unsettling feeling that ran down his spine, the Pegacorn walked cautiously into the forest, trying to find any kind of tracks that would lead him to the wooden creature.
Brave took a deep breath as he welcomed the familiar scent of the trees and flowers, the feeling of the long grass beneath his hooves, even the sounds of the creatures that inhabited the forest.

After a short time Brave heard a howl, it came from the all too familiar path that leaded to his former home. As Brave got closer, he finally entered clearing that had once been his home.

The once clean grounds that surrounded the cottage now had all kinds of plants and trees growing, the cottage now looked like it had been abandoned for years, almost falling apart.

Brave scanned his surroundings, but failed to find any wolf nearby. Brave opted to go into the clearing to lure the creature out of its hiding spot. The Pegacorn approached the house, but nothing happened, no creature appeared. When Braveheart was a few meters away from the doorway he noticed two glowing golden orbs, shining through the dark veil that shrouded the body of the creature inside the house.

The creature growled as it lunged towards Braveheart, sending his sword flying, and pinning him down to the ground. The Wolf stood on top of the pony, preventing the pegacorn to move in any way. The creature growled in satisfaction as it began savoring its new meal, letting some of its sap like drool drop on top of the Pegacorn's cheek.

The Timberwolf had taken Braveheart by surprise, he was now immobilized as the strong wooden creature tried to bite him with its sharp fangs. Not wasting any second, Braveheart gathered magic on the tip of his horn and released a weak fire spell that managed to hit the wolf in its face making it light up, the wolf cried in pain as it rolled on the ground trying to prevent becoming a living torch, releasing the trapped pony.

Brave found his sword, took it out of its scabbard and wielded it with his muzzle. Then, proceeded to look his attacker in the eye. The burnt creature stood ten meters away from Braveheart; both took a deep breath and charged, none of them would back down.

A loud splintering sound echoed through the forest as the Timberwolf fell motionlessly, with a severed abdomen, splinters between both halves of the broken body.

Brave used his magic to pile up the remains of the wolf and casted an incinerating spell, as to give it a proper burial.
He then pressed onward towards the house, memories of his time living there flooding inside his brain. Be it happy memories, sad memories, or both. Brave took it all in, letting the nostalgia hit him hard. The abode seemed like he remembered, every door inside the house was still locked tight, except for the front door, and everything was just as he had left it except for the leaves and mud stains all along the floor on the foyer.

Brave explored his home, letting mixed tears fill his eyes, while he revived memories on each room he visited. After his tour was done the Pegacorn headed towards the door leading to the backyard, and to his surprise the only enchantment that seemed to have lasted since he departed was the one he casted on his parents’ gravestone. The grass was trimmed and kept, and flowers were blossoming all around them.

“Mom, dad... I'm finally back....” cried softly the Pegacorn. “I hope you have been all right, I have to go, but I'll be back as soon as possible, to tell you all about what has happened in my life.” Braveheart smiled towards his parents’ grave before spreading his wings, and taking flight towards Ponyville, he still had a party to attend to.


Brave arrived at the party, an hour after the celestial orb had hidden beneath the horizon, he greeted everypony that passed his way, and made small talk with Lyra, Bonbon, and others.

After an hour of socializing, Brave decided to call it a night; he would have a lot of work to do during the celebration.


Later that night.

“You should lighten up a bit Twilight, it IS a party” Upon hearing these words Brave woke up, got on his hooves, shook himself up, and decided to head outside.

As he came out of his room he saw the baby dragon heading downstairs and decided to have a little talk with the young student.

“I really hope it’s just an old ponytale.” Said twilight, while looking towards the mare in the moon.

“I hope so too, for the sake of all of us.” Upon hearing those words the young student turned her neck to meet gazes with Braveheart.

“Huh!? You know?” inquired the lavender unicorn.

“Yeah, I had my guesses, also the princess told me about your letter..” before Braveheart had a time to finish the baby dragon re entered the room.

“Hey Twilight… oh sorry didn’t knew you were having a conversation.”

“Not a problem Spike, what’s up?” Reassured Braveheart.

“The summer sun celebration is about to start we gotta go.” the young dragon proceeded to leave the room in haste.

“Well Twilight, we will have to end this conversation later I got to go get ready, job waits.” Not even waiting for the lavender unicorn to say goodbye the Pegacorn left the room, and headed towards his own to get ready… It was going to be a long night.