• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 988 Views, 42 Comments

Chronicles of a brave heart - MaverickHunterZero



Braveheart, a pegacorn, must find the power within him to protect all that he holds dear.

  • ...
10
 42
 988

Chapter 2: The power to protect.

Chronicles of a brave heart
Chapter 2: The power to protect

“Braveheart!! Where are you? Brave-”

“I’m here mom”

“Now listen to me. Your father and I told you to never wander this far on your own.”

“but mom there are houses over there, why can’t we go and live there?, and I’ve seen some ponies pass by, some had wings like you, or a horn like dad, but some didn’t have any, what’s wrong with them?”

“Tell you what brave, let’s go back to our house and I’ll explain everything.”

“Ok mom….”

“Well to begin with, those ponies without wings or horns don’t have anything wrong.”

“Really?”

“Yes really, they are called earth ponies, and are one of the three breeds of ponies, there are also Pegasus like me, and Unicorns like your father. They also possess different traits, as you already know unicorns can use magic to control the environment, and Pegasus can fly and even control the weather, and while the earth ponies doesn’t have any of those, they share a special connection with the earth, also they are the strongest ponies physically.”

“WOW!! Really? ... Hey wait a minute, what about me, I can use magic AND I can fly, isn’t there a breed of ponies like me?”

“looks like you got your dad’s smarts Brave, according to princess Celestia you are a rare breed almost one of a kind, it’s called a Pegacorn, you have both the traits of a unicorn and of a Pegasus; and that’s the reason we can’t go to town, it could endanger you if you are not prepared.”

“And why is that?”

“Because you are different, you aren’t like the rest of the other ponies, and somepony could feel threatened by you. Although I know you wouldn’t do anything to hurt anypony else.”

“*sob*… I’m sorry.”

“And why is that my dear?”

“B-Because of me *sniff*you and dad can’t live with other ponies…*sniff*”

“Don’t be sad sweetie. That’s a decision your father and I took thinking on your well being. Hmmm... I’ll tell you what, I’ll ask your father to create a spell and teach it to you so you can hide your wings or your horn, and that way we can go to town.”

“Really?”

“Of course sweetie at least until the world is ready to see you for who you are. Oh look we arrived home already. Dawn I found him, and I need to talk to you about something important.”

“Coming.”

“Thank you mom.”

“Had forgotten about that. he he” said the Pegacorn as the sun rose through the window.

It was a foggy morning as always on that part of the forest, Brave got up from his bed, and headed towards the kitchen stopping to gaze upon the armor and sword that rested on the walls of the living room.

After some hay with carrots and a glass of water the young Pegacorn went out to the backyard, looked at his parent’s gravestones and said to them. “Good morning dad, good morning mom. It has been almost a week since I met that Pegasus called Fluttershy, and I’m no longer sore so I’m going to go train. I hope that soon I’ll be able to avenge you, I just need a little more skill… love you both.”

The Pegacorn started stretching and flexing his legs and hind legs, also flapping his wings to warm them up.

When he finished his warm-up he started flying towards the forest at the fastest speed he could get while dodging trees, bushes and the occasional animal, always pushing himself to go faster. He needed the speed to best the Ursa Major that had killed his parents that dreadful night almost two years ago, almost a week after he had mastered the concealing spell his dad had created for him. After a couple hours flying at low altitude he rose up to the sky and when he was almost 500 meters from the ground he stopped and dove vertically unto the ground trying to get to his max speed until an invisible cone of air tension started forming around him getting sharper by the second.

Brave thought that today would be the day that he would finally break it, but just about a second before that happened the tension stopped him and flinged him backwards just like a rock being thrown away by a slingshot.

“Well today’s not the day where I’ll surpass my mother’s speed…” grunted the silver stallion as he struggled to stop his momentum, when he succeeded, he decided it was time to fly back home and start his swordplay training.

When Brave finally arrived home, he went in and took a wooden greatsword. It was about the same size as the one on his living room, and around the same weight, and spent around 1 or 2 hours practicing using both his muzzle and his horn to wield the blade, the first proving much more difficult than the latter.

After the swordplay he started to practice spells creating magical shields and arrows, even shooting fire and ice beams from his horn, his father had taught him all he needed to know about offensive and defensive magic, but he hadn’t forgotten about illusion and telekinetic, and the other kinds of magic unicorns could perform. The only spell Braveheart hadn’t been able to master yet was his father signature spell: The Shining Ray. It was a spell that if used without care it would drain all the mana, or even injure the caster itself, but it could be an incredible weapon, if used correctly.

It was around two or three o’clock when Brave finished and decided to rinse himself in the nearby pond before re-casting the protective enchantments that kept his house safe from the forest. After cleaning and casting the enchantments Braveheart headed back to eat some of the food he had harvested last week.

Just as he was going to begin studying, a scream was heard somewhere close.
“LYRAA, LYRA WHERE ARE YOU I’M SO SORRY PLEASE COME BACK!!!”

Brave recognized the voice as that of a mare and decided to grab his father sword and casted his concealing spell on his wings, what he did not expect to see was an earth pony running towards him.

“Excuse me sir haven’t you seen a mint colored unicorn pass over here?” asked worriedly the cream colored pony.
Just when the pony though she had found somepony who could help her, she noticed the sword the unicorn in front of her was carrying and started shaking and pleading even before Brave had a chance to answer her question.

“Please sir forgive me, I didn’t mean to bother you, please don’t kill me.” Cried the earth pony, the stern look on Brave became a comforting smile as he said trying to look as confident as possible “Don’t worry I mean you no harm, this sword I’m carrying is just for my protection, it’s not easy living here.”

The cream colored pony started to relax a little looking at the unicorn with some worrying eyes. “Please you must help me. My friend got lost in the forest”

“Calm down, my name is Braveheart, and I will help you, just tell me what happened.”

“Thank you kindly Mr. Braveheart…”

“Please, I’m about the same age as you just call me Brave”

“Okay Brave” nodded the earth pony.

“My name is Bonbon and this morning I had a fight with my friend Lyra, I said some hurtful things to her, and she ran towards the forest. She once told me that whenever she became upset she would go to a secluded place where she could play the lyre and relax, but I haven’t heard her music since I came in to look for her, and she has been gone for far too long, I fear for the worst.”

“Your friend Lyra, what does she look like?”

“She’s a minty green coated unicorn, with a short silver mane and has a lyre for a cutie mark” then Bonbon realized something, the unicorn in front of her didn’t have a cutie mark.

“Oh sorry I hadn’t noticed you hadn’t earned one yet…”

“Don’t worry about that, I’ve managed so well without one until now, I know it will appear when the time is right, at least that’s what my mom and dad used to tell me…” said Braveheart with a saddening face that just lasted for a second, to which then changed to one of determination and continued “well we won’t find her just standing here and talking, let’s go”.

As they went off they started to search on the nearby areas, they went through the lake, a cliff, even near the ancient castle ruins that once had hosted the royal sisters.

In all the places they had paid close attention to their surroundings hoping to see or hear the musician, with no luck whatsoever.

After what seemed like three hours of search Brave and Bonbon arrived at Foggy Bottom Bog, it was then when they heard a beautiful melody, Bonbon’s face which had been displaying sadness and regret, suddenly changed to one of happiness and joy as she ran to where the music was coming from with Brave running just beside her. And there she was the minty colored musician mare sitting over a rock on her unusual manner, playing one of the most beautiful melodies Brave had ever heard.

“Lyra I’m so sorry” screamed Bonbon as she ran towards her unicorn friend, surprised the unicorn turned around just to receive a tight hug from the now crying earth pony. Lyra started crying as she nuzzled her friend.
“Bonbon you came looking for me? Oh sweet Celestia, I didn't think you still cared about me”

After Lyra packed her lyre in her saddlebag the two ponies started apologizing to one another and Brave as happy as he was that he had been able to help somepony else find her friend, couldn't help but feel uneasy.

It was quiet; too quiet actually. The birds wouldn’t chirp, there weren’t any croaks from frogs or toads, nothing but the quiet sobbing of the two friends… he found the reason as he caught a glimpse on 2 heads lurking in the mud waiting for a chance to get their dinner, two ponies ready to go.

Reacting as fast as he could he yelled “GIRLS MOVE!!!”
Brave took the sword out of its scabbard using his magic and rested it on his muzzle so he could cast a barrier spell to fend off the enemies, the two fillies ran and hid under the bushes watching terrified at the scene. The two heads had long necks which were joined by one body; Lyra had read about the monster in the bestiary book in the library, it was a Hydra.

With some swift movements Brave jumped backwards just as he broke the spell to let one of the heads lung at him, as he predicted the head hit the ground giving him enough time to climb it and start running to the place where the two necks connected, the other head was trying to stop Brave by lunging its whole neck at him, but a little too late as he took the sword out of his muzzle using his magic and made a slash that went through scales flesh and bone, tearing off both necks from the body cleanly, the three severed parts of the monster fell and gave some spasms before remaining motionless.

Just when Brave turned his back at the seemingly defeated monster, he heard a cry from the unicorn he had just found
“Careful!!! It’s a Hydra no matter how many heads you cut it will grow more”

Just as Lyra had predicted the body somehow got on its feet, and 4 heads grew where there only had been two. The four heads glared in the direction of the pony that had attacked them and hissed with anger, and hunger.
“Bonbon, you remember how to get back to my cottage?”

“y-yeah…” replied the scared earth pony.

“Ok then. Lead your friend over there; I’ll distract the Hydra so you can get away, when I give you the signal run.”
“But what about you…”

Not even daring to take one eye of the creature Braveheart said in a reassuring tone.“Don’t worry I’m not ready to die just yet, heh heh I’ll meet you there." Brave stopped to take a deep breath."You ready? NOW RUN!!!”

While the words he had just yelled still hung on the air, Braveheart broke into a full speed gallop towards the Hydra giving enough time for the two mares to get away from there. Why am I risking my life for two ponies I barely know? Somehow I think that was the right thing to do… well it’s not time to think, time to act.

Finishing the sentence in his head Brave sheathed sword back in its scabbard and started gathering all his energy on the tip of his horn, which then fired a stream of fire. The Hydra was taken aback because of the heat and started to retreat to the bog, just as the hydra was knee-deep within the murky waters of the bog Brave cancelled the fire spell and casted an ice beam targeting the water surrounding the beast.

“That should hold you off” said the silvery stallion with a smirk on his face and retreated.

~~~~

It had been half an hour since Bonbon and Lyra had arrived at Brave’s cottage, when they finally heard movement coming from the direction they had come from.

They saw the silver coated unicorn that had helped them now drenched in sweat as he clumsily walked towards the cottage.

The two ponies ran to meet him with Lyra crying “Oh sweet Celestia, are you ok? I’m sorry you got hurt because of me…”

“*huff* don’t you worry, I just used a lot of energy, seems like freezing the hydras legs to the bog didn’t stop it for long, I had to use a last resort spell to drive it off, it’s actually the first time I pull it right, all I need is some water and food.”

“We could use some water too, if that’s not much trouble Brave.” Asked Bonbon kindly.
After handing over two glasses full of pure crystalline water Brave started filling his own.

“I think they never introduced us properly, my name is Lyra Heartstrings, but everyone calls me Lyra.”

“Nice meeting you Lyra, my name is Braveheart, but you can call me Brave” said the stallion after he finished his own glass. Then he proceeded to clean the blood out of his sword, it truly was a massive blade, but what got the curiosity of both ponies was the black bird engraved on the blade, it looked regal, and at the same time ready for battle.

“What kind of bird is this?” asked Bonbon.

“This is a Phoenix, it’s a mythical bird who can resurrect from its ashes, my dad told me he used an actual phoenix feather to make the sword as strong as it is now, he called the sword Dawnbreaker. My father always told me that no matter what, he would use this sword, to fend off the darkness, and help bring a new day.”

“Cool” said Lyra, her usual cheeriness back reflected by her golden eyes. “So do you live here by yourself?”

“Well I used to live here with my mom and dad, but since they passed away I have been alone.” said the tired Unicorn.

“Sorry I asked…” replied Lyra, her cheeriness replaced by a look of regret.

“Don’t you worry, you didn’t knew.” Smiled the unicorn at her.

The three of them spent some time chatting, mostly of the adventures Brave had on the forest. Lyra played a couple songs, as Bonbon sang them for Braveheart.

Looking at the sunset Brave finally spoke “Well I better walk you two out of the woods before it gets any darker”

“We would certainly like that.” Said Bonbon cheerfully

After some time walking the three ponies arrived at the edge of the forest, and just as they were parting ways the earth pony asked

“Why don’t you come visit us sometime? We would like to see you again.”

“Thanks I would love to but right now it’s impossible for me to leave the forest.”
Then brave broke into a trot and eventually galloped into the forest.

“Hey were those….”said Lyra at some pair of wings that seemed to grow from the now running unicorn’s sides “Nah I must be more tired than what I thought I was, let’s go home Bonbon”
And so the two ponies walked home and the rumor of a pony that guarded the Everfree Forest started to spread around Ponyville.

~~~~

Brave arrived at his house and stopped by his parents’ graves. “Mom, dad. Tomorrow will be the day that I avenge you, I finally feel ready, after all I just discovered a new power within me, the power to protect everypony from any harm.” Brave took some time to reflect and continued “while I’m doing this mostly to avenge your deaths. I’ll also do it to prevent any future pony from running into the same fate as you.”

As he finished his flank started to glow, finally revealing his cutie mark. It was a red shield crossed over a blue long sword.
“It was revealed to me today that I should defend those who can’t. Mom, dad... maybe I’ll even leave the forest soon” and with that he went to his room and fell asleep, the next day was going to be a rough one.