• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 19,524 Views, 724 Comments

Embracing the Darkness - BlueAzura



Twilight Sparkle is left with a scar that will permanently change the rest of her natural born life.

  • ...
31
 724
 19,524

Chapter 14

*I own nothing, but the experience and story*

*Ponies go to Hasbro*

Embracing the Darkness

By: BlueAzura

Chapter 14

How did this happen to me?’ Twilight edged under an awning, diving into a dark alleyway to avoid the bright sun. ‘Why is this happening to me?’ Taking slow deep breaths, the unicorn readjusted her saddlebag so it wouldn’t slip and fall. ‘Alright… just remember your plan, Twilight…’ The purple unicorn peered out into the main street to see if there were anypony watching her. Convinced that the coast was clear, Twilight sat down and pulled out a small checklist out of her bag. ‘Okay… Pack food and supplies?

*Check*

Have the thing that Nightmare Moon gave me?’ Twilight rummaged through the bag until she was able to pull out the glowing vial.

*Check*

Leave a letter to Spike and the girls that I had to leave for emergency reasons?’ She could already feel the guilt, forming deep within her heart.

*Check*

And last but not least… find out if Nightmare Moon was telling the truth or not…

Twilight Sparkle rolled up the parchment and stuffed it back into her bag. ‘That’s my biggest problem… how the hay am I going to find out if she was telling the truth or not?!’ The unicorn began rubbing the sides of her head, hoping for some inspiration to spawn. ‘If Nightmare Moon was lying and I go to Princess Celestia in pony, there wouldn’t be any problems. I could explain to her that during the search for the elements, I was unfortunately turned into a vampony.’ The librarian threw her head back and groaned in frustration. ‘But, if Nightmare Moon was telling the truth and I go to the Princess… she’ll probably arrest me on the spot!’ Twilight felt herself shiver for a moment. ‘She’ll probably banish me, or throw me in prison, or banish me and throw me in a prison in the place she banished me to!’ The unicorn felt herself grow cold. ‘Or, if she really wanted to… she could have me ex…executed…’ She quickly shook her head. ‘No, Princess Celestia would never order such a thing to happen… but the chance is still there…

After brain storming, creating different scenarios, and thinking up a large amount of possible (mostly negative) outcomes, Twilight was left with only one option. ‘Nightmare Moon said that Princess Celestia was coming here with an army… that means I have to be out of Ponyville before they get here.’ She didn’t like the next part of the plan. ‘When I know that I have a clear path to run away to… I have to come back and… find out from the guards.’ The unicorn sighed. ‘Asking the guards in my current state is out of the question… so a disguise is going to be needed.

The librarian frowned. ‘This plan isn’t foolproof… in fact it’s extremely dangerous! But, I can’t just simply leave and cause a giant misunderstanding with the Princess.’ Twilight stood up and dusted herself off. ‘Right, I first need to get to the Everfree Forest.

After waiting impatiently for the coming army well into the night, Twilight finally spotted a group of soldiers marching their way towards Ponyville. Pulling a pair of binoculars out of her bag, the unicorn focused her sight onto the group. ‘Well… that’s definitely the Princess’s royal armor…’ The purple unicorn pursed her lips. ‘Hmm… there doesn’t seem to be a lot of them… must be a recon group or something.’ Her frown suddenly turned into a smile. ‘They’re still a little far away, but this is perfect! I can get the information from them before the Princess even gets here!

Twilight was finally beginning to find hope in all of this mess, but that was quickly dashed away when she noticed one of the guards. ‘Is that? It can’t be…’ Focusing the on the pony that was apparently leading the group, Twilight felt one of her eyes twitching. ‘Well, this just complicates things even more now…


Valor marched through the middle of the town, wearing Princess Celestia’s royal armor and ignoring the confused looks on all of the pony’s faces. ‘Hmm… having been critically wounded, she wouldn’t have gotten far…’ His mind trailed off when he noticed a very familiar looking purple unicorn, walking into what looked like a large gingerbread house. ‘Ah… perfect.’ He quickly pointed a hoof at a random mare. “You there!”

The earth pony flinched at the sharp voice, but quickly rushed to the armored pony. “H-how can I help you Mr. Guard?” Following the Pegasus’s pointed hoof she turned in the direction of the bakery.

Still holding his hoof out, Valor said in a stern voice, “That building over there… what is it?”

“Oh! That’s Sugarcube Corner one of the most popular places in Ponyville.” The mare sighed in relief, briefly believing that she was in trouble. “A lot of the townsfolk get their sugar fix over there.”

“I see…” The navy blue Pegasus nodded. “Thank you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must be going now.”

“W-wait!” The earth pony held up a hoof to stop the pony. “I just have a question… has Princess Celestia truly returned to remove the Dark Queen from her throne?” She gestured to the crowd of ponies at large. “Everypony is talking about how the eternal night disappeared and the sun finally returning.”

Valor gave a small smile. “You are correct, citizen. Princess Celestia has indeed returned and is currently cleaning up the mess that Nightmare Moon created.” He respectfully nodded his head at the pony. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a few loose ends to tie up.” Leaving the earth pony behind, Valor waved down one of the Pegasus that came with his squad. “Inform the others that I’ll be inside Sugarcube Corner, but continue your search.” He watched the soldier salute before quickly taking off in the direction of the bakery.

Upon entering the building, Valor’s eyes were immediately assaulted by all the colors of the rainbow. ‘How can anypony stand so much color in one place is beyond me…’ He seemed to have entered to what looked like a huge party in full swing. An unimaginable amount of streamers lined the walls and windows of the building. Hundreds upon hundreds of balloons polluted the ceiling, making it extremely difficult to even know what color the ceiling was to begin with. Loud music echoed out from a record player, forcing the Pegasus to flatten his ears in order to keep his eardrums from popping. All of this… plus the addition of half of the town, made it very difficult to find a purple unicorn.

I better finish this quick before-’ He wasn’t able to finish his train of thought because the next thing he knew, he was staring into two large blue eyes. Taking a quick step back, Valor found himself staring at a pink earth pony.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! What’s your name?” Ignoring the disapproving frown on the Pegasus’s face, Pinkie continued, “Wow! We’re having a lot of new faces coming to Ponyville now and that’s just awesome because I love seeing new faces in Ponyville but we never seem to get a lot of those until now! First there was my friend Twilight then there was Trixie and now you mister! By the way if you haven’t been welcomed then let me be the first to tell you that you’re welcome to come back to Ponyville whenever you want! If you need to find anypony don’t hesitate to ask because I know everypony whose anypony around these parts! Apparently we needed additional pylons but it’s all good because I can just use cheats! Also did you hear? They say that Princess Celestia came back, isn’t that just awesome!? You’re in luck because we’re just about to play pin-the-tail-on-the-human and in case you didn’t know this party is to celebrate the return of the Princess! It was kind of scary having to live in eternal night but at the same time it’s kind of fun because I could throw night parties as much as I want no matter how long because the sun wouldn’t be back. I didn’t really mind the moon taking the place of the sun but it’s not really fair for the sun because it wants to come out once in a while you know? By the way is Princess Celestia okay? We didn’t hear what happened to her for a while and everypony was getting really worried. Also what happened to Black Snooty? Is she still making thunder wherever she goes? I heard from Gummy that the eagles were coming and that we need to throw the ring into the fire mountain to save the day!”

This was where the Pegasus couldn’t take it anymore. “STOOOOOOP!” There was a loud screeching noise before the record player suddenly stopped, causing everypony in the building to stop and stare. Breathing heavily, Valor threatening pointed a hoof at the pink menace. “Not another word from you, Pink Pie, or whatever your name was…!”

Pinkie Pie opened her mouth to correct the pony, but quickly remembered what he had said and kept quiet. Everypony in the room decided to take a calculated step away from the guard and began muttering amongst themselves.

Feeling the much needed space in order to breathe in this rainbow death trap, Valor felt himself calming down. “Forgive me for my sudden outburst… but I’ll need to speak with the one called Twilight Sparkle.”

The pink earth pony tilted her head. “Twilighty? Well… why didn’t you say so silly?” Pinkie hopped away, pushing a frozen purple unicorn out of the crowd. “Here you go! I’m going to get your ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party all set up in a jiffy. Oh! And here’s your invitation!” The party pony reached around, pulling a card out from out of nowhere with her mouth. “Mmmf mfm mfmmf mm!”

Valor reached out and took the card with a hoof. Flipping it over, the Pegasus read the fine printed words: “You’re courteously invited to Valor’s welcome party! Make sure you bring your friends and the rum!”

“… How did you-” He looked up to see that the strange pony had disappeared. “do that…?” Valor shook his head. ‘This town is full of crazy ponies…’ Glancing up to see a purple unicorn, the blue Pegasus suddenly remembered his mission. “Miss Twilight Sparkle, it’s been a while hasn’t it?” The guard pony gave a sly grin. “I’m surprised you’re even capable of hanging around with so many ponies… thirsty?”

The librarian narrowed her eyes. “I’m surprised you’re even here… wearing that particular armor.” The unicorn eased away slightly, still eyeing the gold plated steel. “Aren’t you supposed to be Nightmare Moon’s captain? Why are you wearing that?” At Twilight’s word, the crowd of ponies took another step back.

With a scowl quickly forming on his face, Valor replied, “Things have changed, Miss Twilight.”

“Sparkle.”

The Pegasus lifted an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

“Just call me Sparkle.”

Valor gave a short snort. “Very well, Sparkle… As I already told you, things have changed and I’m following Princess Celestia’s orders now.” He pulled out a scroll from a hidden compartment inside his chest plate. Opening it with a flourish, Valor began to read, “By orders of Princess Celestia of Equestria… I am to escort Twilight Sparkle and the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony… to Canterlot castle immediately.” The equestrian guard held the scroll out to the librarian. “You can read it if you don’t believe me.”

The librarian snatched the parchment away, still carefully watching the Pegasus. “I’ll be the judge of that.” One look at the scroll told her everything. ‘Yup, that’s Princess Celestia’s hoofwriting alright… I’ve read far too many notes and letters to know the difference.’ The unicorn turned and began walking away. “Girls… we’re heading out to Canterlot.”

Following the librarian out of the bakery, Rainbow Dash leaned in and asked, “By the way, what was the emergency that you needed to do, Twi?” Seeing a cold smirk appearing on the unicorn’s face, admittedly spooked the Pegasus a little. “Twi?”

The purple unicorn patted her friend on the shoulders. “Don’t worry about it, Rainbow. I’m sure that Twilight is going to be taking care of it soon.”

The rainbow mane Pegasus nodded. “If you say so, Twi…” Rainbow Dash stopped dead in her tracks. “Wait… what?”

Sitting on top of a hill overlooking the town, Twilight watched herself and her friends walking in the direction of the hospital. ‘Valor seems to be gathering up the girls to take to Canterlot. I really hope this will end well…


*Several minutes ago, at a hill near the Everfree Forest*

There was no mistaking it. That messy mane, that navy blue coat, that barely visible but still noticeable cutie-mark… Valor… captain and loyal servant to the moon goddess, was leading a group of soldiers towards Ponyville. But not just any soldiers… these are from Princess Celestia’s own forces!

Twilight’s jaw was left somewhere on the ground. ‘Valor?! But, how? Why?!’ She had to double check, even triple check, in order to confirm it. ‘Isn’t he supposed to be Nightmare Moon’s captain? What the hay is he doing with Princess Celestia’s soldiers?’ She felt her heart sink to the bottom of her gut. ‘There’s no possible way for me to get the information out of the rest… if he’s going to be around.’ The unicorn remembered when she had first encountered the blue Pegasus. ‘He’s probably going to sense me if I go anywhere near him!’ The purple librarian gripped the sides of her head. ‘No, no, no… what am I going to do now?

Perhaps… I can assist you, my dear.

Twilight gasped. ‘You! Where have you been the whole time while I was with Nightmare Moon?

The voice inside Twilight’s head merely chuckled. “Oh my… did you really miss me? I’m flattered.

The unicorn’s cheeks briefly flashed red. ‘You… you know what I mean!

The voice chuckled again. “Alright, alright, I was… occupied with something.

Twilight frowned slightly. ‘Weren’t you really excited when she teleported into the library? Also, what could possibly occupy you when you’re “Master” started to change?

The voice’s tone seemed to have darkened considerably. “You wouldn’t understand…” The voice decided to change the subject. “But, enough… you said that you wanted to know whether or not you’re a wanted criminal?

Twilight’s ears flattened. ‘I…I wouldn’t put it like that, but yes.’ She looked over in the direction of Ponyville. ‘With Valor there… I won’t be able to safely gather the information that I’ll need to clear this whole thing up.

The voice turned to a more upbeat tone. “Well then say no more because I’ll simply go in for you.

The unicorn lifted an eyebrow. ‘And how exactly are you going to do that?’ She didn’t get a reply, but instead was given an image of complicated spell. ‘Isn’t that the cloning spell that I learned a while back?

The voice somehow gave a short clapping sound. “Bravo! Give the unicorn a prize!

Twilight impatiently groaned. ‘I don’t have much time to play games with you! If you really are me you’ll know I’m not capable of pulling this spell off.

Wrong, my friend.

The purple unicorn lifted an eyebrow. ‘Would it kill you to just cut to the chase and stop being so cryptic?

The voice sighed. ‘Fine… I really don’t have a lot of things to do here and I was bored. Here’s the problem… you’re not able to pull the cloning off because the process needs you to split your mind in two places at once.’ It continued, ‘Creating the clone is simple, however fully controlling it is a different story. You’ll probably have two Twilight Sparkles moving and talking at the exact same time, rendering the whole thing completely useless.

Twilight tapped the ground impatiently. ‘I already know all of this… so why are you telling me?

If the voice was able to roll its eyes, it would have done so right about now. “This is where I fall in you blockhead! You can create the clone, but have my mind split off and take its place. With the spell lasting only temporarily and the bond that we share, you’ll be able to have your answer with Valor and the others.

The unicorn weakly sighed. ‘This plan is all well and good, but why are you helping me?’ She began pacing back and forth. ‘As I recall… you were pretty clear that you wanted me out of the picture. So why should I trust you with something this important?

It was the voice’s turn to sigh. “I know what I said before and I plan on keeping my word, but this isn’t about me anymore. This is about us… and what Nightmare Moon ordered us to do. I am but a humble servant to our master. And I or rather we were given a direct order. I have to listen to her… no matter how much I detest you.

Twilight grunted. ‘So what you’re saying is that you’re going to help me from now on?

Yup.

… Just like that?

Well… as soon as we find out what Master gave us, we’ll see from there. Besides, you don’t have much of a choice but to trust me now.

Twilight’s mind retreated back in itself in order to evaluate the voice’s statement, only to find out that… she was right. Nightmare’s warning for the coming army has come true, Valor’s appearance with said army can only mean trouble, and the only one capable of assisting her now is… the voice.

I’m still waiting over here you know…

The unicorn jumped, completely forgetting that the voice was still there. Quickly collecting herself and taking a deep breath, Twilight thought, ‘Fine… let’s just get this over with, voice in my head…

Now that just won’t do, my dear.” The unicorn could almost feel the pouting lips at this point. “I may have no tangible body to prove it, but I still have a mind and emotions just like you.

Twilight pursed her lips. ‘Well… Twilight Sparkle has already been taken so-

The rest of the sentence got caught in Twilight’s throat, when the voice cut her off. “We’ll split it… You can have Twilight and I’ll take Sparkle… Fair?

The unicorn made a small grumbling noise. ‘Ugh, fine! We’ve got to get you down there before Valor notices that we’re not there.


*The present*

Twilight shivered when a cold breeze blew past her mane. ‘Since I have nothing to do at this point, I might as well try to figure out just what the hay Nightmare Moon gave me…’ Pulling the vial out once more, the unicorn held it out in front of her. ‘Hmm… it’s not really a liquid nor is it gas… I’m getting a weightless liquid vibe whenever I look at it.’ She watched the contents of the vial swirling and spinning without any sort of means to move it. The scientist within her wanted to just pull out a notepad and begin writing down notes, but there just something about it that she couldn’t quite grasp. After mesmerizingly watching the liquid gas for a few minutes, Twilight sighed in defeat. ‘Yeah… I have no idea what this thing is. The only thing I do know is that it came from Nightmare Moon’s horn, but I never read anything that comes remotely close to something like this…

After failing to see if her magic could make any sort of reaction to the liquid mist from the outside, Twilight couldn’t take it anymore and began carefully removing the cork out of the vial. The unicorn gently shaved off a sliver of the unknown substance before pressing the cork back on. ‘Okay… I could control this thing however I wish, but it won’t react no matter how much magic I put in it.’ Her eyes slightly became crossed when she brought it closer to herself.

Without so much as a warning, the glowing mist broke out of Twilight’s magical hold and planted itself directly into the unicorn’s horn. “Gah!” Twilight gasped, pawing her horn to see if it was still there. Thankfully, the liquid gas seemed to have done nothing to her and she was left sitting on grass. ‘Well… that was anticlimactic…’ She stood up and slipped her saddlebag back on, not noticing a pair of glowing eyes watching her in the shadows.

The eyes continued to watch the unicorn making her way towards the deeper part of the forest. It turned to stare into another pair of eyes to ask, “Are you sure that she is the one?”

“Of course I’m sure! I sensed something very powerful and very familiar a few hours ago coming from her!” The second pair of eyes hissed back. “We’ve got to report this to our leader immediately.” The two eyes gave a quick nod in agreement before disappearing into the night.