• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 19,487 Views, 724 Comments

Embracing the Darkness - BlueAzura



Twilight Sparkle is left with a scar that will permanently change the rest of her natural born life.

  • ...
31
 724
 19,487

Chapter 6

*I own nothing, but the experience and story*

*Ponies go to Hasbro*

Embracing the Darkness

By: BlueAzura

Chapter 6

It was raining. The Pegasus from Cloudsdale had pulled out all the stops, as heavy raindrops fell from the sky in a curtain-like state. The citizens of Canterlot all took refuge in their homes or under the covers of their local coffee shop. The palace was no better, as the rain bounced off the backs of the guards. They huddled closer to each other, trying to preserve body heat.

A guard, who was standing on a tower battlement, sneezed. “Guh… it’s bad enough that we have to serve that evil witch, but now we have to stand out in this blasted rain!”

His partner nodded, as he whipped his mane away from his eyes. “Agreed, but what can we do? Now that the Princess is missing, I doubt we can do anything to stop her. I even heard that the Elements of Harmony didn’t work on her.”

The first guard sneezed again. “Yeah… I wonder what really can stop her now…” He glanced back at his partner. “That reminds me, what happened to your brother that went missing when Nightmare Moon attacked the first day?”

The second guard lowered his head, not sure if his eyes are wet because of the rain or his tears. “I still haven’t heard anything, but neither did any of the other families. At this rate, we’ll never know…”

The first guard patted the sad pony’s back. “I’m sure he’ll turn up sooner or later. Just don’t give up hope and I know things will get better.”

The other guard smiled. “Thanks.” They stood silently, trying to keep the rain out of their eyes and back.

*Boom*

The second guard flinched slightly. “Hey, did you hear that?”

*Boom*

The first guard nodded. “Yeah, it sounds like somepony broke something back at the castle.” He looked over his shoulder, trying to stare through the curtain of rain. “But, that doesn’t make any sense. We’re at the farthest towers and it’s raining.”

The other guard shuddered, dislodging some of the water out of his mane. “In that case, I’m not going anywhere near the castle right now. Nightmare Moon must be really angry with something… or somepony.”

“Yeah, I really feel sorry for whoever’s at the receiving end of that…”


The alicorn in question currently stood in the center of the throne room. She breathed heavily through her nose, as she stared at the broken remains of what was once the jewel encrusted throne itself. Nightmare continued to stare at the chair for about a minute, before letting out an angry cry. “GAAAAAAH!” She picked up the remains of the chair with her horn and launched it into the air, before crushing it to dust. The goddess flicked her eyes around until she spotted a group of frighten ponies, huddling in a corner. “Clean up this mess and get me a new chair! I’ll be in my chambers. But, I don’t want anypony disturbing me, understand?!”

Not seeing if they answered or not, Nightmare Moon quickly teleported into her bedroom. She found herself looking out of her window, still seething with anger. ‘A week! I’ve wasted an entire week trying to make her complete when I could’ve used that time to train her!’ She picked up a chair, which was unfortunately in the room, and smashed it against a wall. Nightmare Moon eyed the broken remains, trying to find some relief from it. However, the longer she stared at the chair the more she felt guilty. ‘I shouldn’t have done that… The pony must have put a lot of work into making that chair. I think I should write a letter and apolo…gize…’ Her eyes widen in horror. ‘What in Equestria was I thinking just now?!’ The alicorn quickly pulled a pillow towards her and screamed into it. ‘How?! How is she still capable of holding back? This is completely unheard of and just plain crazy!

Nightmare began remembering the past few days, only to remind herself of her complete and utter failure to change a single mare. ‘I don’t understand… I’ve tried everything to the point where forcing her is the only way!’ She pulled her face from the pillow. ‘But… I just can’t bring myself to do it either! I can’t force another pony to do something that she doesn’t want…to…’ Her eyes widen in horror, slamming her face into the pillow again. ‘And another thing, these… these feelings and thoughts has gotten worse! They will not stop tormenting me!’ The alicorn suddenly felt something snap. ‘It’s her fault that I’m like this… It’s. All. Her. Fault!’ Letting go of the pillow, Nightmare Moon cried, “That’s it… I’ve had enough! Guards!”

The doors to her room burst open and a pair of guards rushed in. “Yes, your Majesty?”

“Bring Twilight Sparkle to me… immediately!”


Inside the now repaired library, Twilight Sparkle awoke by a loud pounding noise. ‘Ugh…’ “What now?” She slowly pulled herself out of her bed and begrudgingly opened the door. ‘So hungry…

A large hoof reached out and began pulling the purple unicorn down the stairs. “Miss Sparkle you have been summoned to the Princess’s quarters. You will come with us… immediately!”

Still being pulled by the hoof, Twilight almost tripped. “Wait! What’s going on?” Her mouth began salivating at the sight of the pony’s neck in front of her. ‘No! Keep it together… Keep. It. Together!’ She began shaking, feeling as if her throat was a scorching desert… on fire!

“We do not know.” He continued, completely oblivious at the sight of the shaking unicorn. “All we were told is that we need to bring you to her.” No further words were spoken, as the guard continued to pull Twilight to the queen’s chamber.

Oh… please just hold out… I can do this… I can do this…’ Twilight repeated the words over and over in her head, not even noticing that they were already standing in front of the door. “Huh?” The unicorn whipped her head to the left and right. “We’re here already?”

“Yes, Miss Sparkle…” The guard lifted a hoof and knocked on the door. “My Queen, Twilight Sparkle has arrived.”

“Enter…” The voice that came out was a low, hissing whisper.

Twilight gulped, as she slowly inched the door open. As soon as the unicorn’s tail passed over the threshold, the door slammed shut with a bang. Twilight, still shaking from the noise, lowered herself down into a bow. “Y-you wanted to see me, Nightmare Moon?”

Nightmare Moon didn’t even blink when she said, “You’re leaving, Twilight, tonight.”

The unicorn whipped her head up in surprise and the thought of the hunger momentarily left. “Leaving? You mean like out of the castle?”

The alicorn nodded. “That is correct. I’m sending you back to wherever you came from… Ponyville was it?”

Twilight’s mouth fell open. “But…but why?” ‘Am I dreaming right now?

Nightmare Moon made an angry snort. ‘Just looking at you makes my blood boil.’ “Because I seem to have made a mistake in making you my servant and I no longer need you anymore.” The alicorn turned her back at the unicorn. “You are a complete failure and I wish to not waste my time with you any longer.” ‘I want you to be gone… away from me. Far away!

Twilight couldn’t believe what she was hearing. ‘Is this really happening?’ She never felt so happy about failing in something in her entire life. ‘I can go home and see my friends!’ She smiled slightly. “I understand, Nightmare Moon. I’ll go and pack my belongings then.”

“No need. I’ve already prepared your things, Twilight.” The alicorn whirled around and faced the unicorn. “In fact, just go… right now.” Nightmare Moon ignited her horn and she felt herself pour all of her magic into the mare. ‘Go away and take your curse with you!’ With a bright flash, Twilight Sparkle disappeared. The room immediately became deathly quiet and the alicorn let out a sigh of relief. ‘At last… that accursed unicorn is gone!’ Nightmare Moon broke the silence with a laugh. “HA! Gone! Thank the almighty creators! She’s finally gone!” Her laughter died down, when she heard the soft knocking of hooves at her door. “Come in! Come in!”

The door slowly opened and standing in the doorway was a familiar navy blue Pegasus. “My Queen, are you alright?” Valor raised an eyebrow when the goddess of the night giggled.

Nightmare Moon couldn’t help but smile. “Yes, Valor, I’m alright… In fact, I’m perfectly happy right now!” She threw her hooves into the air. “Don’t you see, Valor? She’s gone, she’s finally gone!”

The captain of the guards blinked. “You sent Miss Sparkle away?”

“Yes, captain, I’ve sent Twilight back to Ponyville.” The alicorn stood up straight, her giddy feelings already fading. “Now I can truly rule Equestria with an iron hoof, Valor.” She began walking to the direction of the throne room, followed closely by the captain. “Come! We have much work to do!”

Valor leaned in slightly and asked, “Does this mean that you will need another pony to drink from, Master?”

Nightmare Moon paused. “Humm… you’re right, Valor.” She began walking again. “Have the Night Shadows brought here to the castle.”

The navy blue Pegasus bowed his head. “At once, your Majesty.” He turned and began walking towards the castle gates, a small smirk forming on his face. “Perfect.”


Author’s Notes: I would just like to apologize for the short chapter, but I just couldn't see it ending properly anywhere else...

To those who wished to see the "fight" between Nightmare Moon and Twilight, don't lose hope. I will be uploading the "battle" between the two at a later date. The only reason I won't post it right now is because... I don't really want to center 2-4 chapters on their "fight", you know what I mean? It really won't have any story progression and so... completely pointless. However, I will post it as a bonus chapter or something...later.