• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 19,476 Views, 724 Comments

Embracing the Darkness - BlueAzura



Twilight Sparkle is left with a scar that will permanently change the rest of her natural born life.

  • ...
31
 724
 19,476

Chapter 15.5

Who gives a test that you have to pass with 80% or you fail the whole class all-together? An evil person I tell you... an evil person!


*I own nothing, but the experience and story*

*Ponies go to Hasbro*

Embracing the Darkness

By: BlueAzura

Chapter 15.5

Twilight didn’t know how long she was held against her will, but seeing the yellow rays of the sun shining above her cage was a pretty good hint. Cage… did she mention that? No, it’s nothing to be afraid of… really! It’s not like it’s more like a pony-sized green cocoon, made out of some unknown substance from who knows where on a changeling. She also wouldn’t care that she was completely submerged in some green slime, that both allowed her to breathe and suppress her magic… definitely doesn’t need mentioning at all… nope! Okay, enough fooling around… this is downright bucking disgusting! The unicorn decided to flail around in the green gloop for the hundredth time, trying and failing to find a way out of this mess.

The large changeling, that was carrying the unicorn on his back, looked over his shoulder. “Will you please just stop? You’re not going to get out of that until we say so… Do you want me to drop you or something?”

Twilight would’ve voiced her opinion if her lungs weren’t filled with green slop. ‘Yes! If it means this thing will break open when it does, then drop me off a damn cliff!’ The unicorn continued the struggle in her “prison” for a good minute or so before she grew unnaturally still.

The changeling let out a great sigh of relief and muttered under his breath, “It’s about damn time… I thought she’ll never stop!” However, as soon as the words left his lips, the unicorn began flailing around once more. ‘… I’m just going to keep my mouth shut…’ He didn’t know it, but the changeling was carrying two Twilight Sparkles within one body now.

No words could really explain what Twilight felt, as the mind known as Sparkle reentered her mind. Actually… there were plenty of words, but she couldn’t stop and think about it. "Hey there Twilight did you miss- what a second… WHERE THE BUCK ARE WE?" Twilight winced at the sudden headache she just received. "I leave for a few hours, only to come back and find you inside a monster’s belly?!"

No!’ Twilight quickly answered back. ‘It’s more like a cocoon if you wanted to know.

"What? Since when did you turn yourself into a bug and decided that metamorphosis was the way to go?"

The unicorn vigorously shook her head. ‘I’m not a bug! This is more like a cage made to look like it’s a cocoon for your information!

"What? Ohhhhh…" The message appears to have finally sunk in. "Ohhh… OHHH… oh…" Sparkle chose the next few words carefully. "So… what are you’re saying is that you got captured by some unknown creature-"

Changelings.

"You got captured by a few changelings and now we are stuck in some makeshift prison… Being transported far away from where we once were."

Yup… that sums it up pretty nicely.

Sparkle let out an imaginary sigh. "I can’t believe I fought Celestia… only to find myself stuck in another life threatening situation." Her voice immediately changed into a much happier, more sarcastic, tone. "Oh, but wait! I’m not alone this time… No, this time I have a unicorn that has complete control over the body and has no idea on how to defend herself… hurray for me…"

Twilight was only able to get two words out of Sparkle’s rant. ‘You fought the Princess?! Are you crazy?!’ One of the unicorn’s eyes began twitching like a madmare. ‘You were supposed to find out if Princess Celestia was going to forgive me or not!

"Yeah… about that…" There was a pause as if Sparkle was rubbing the back of her head. "I might’ve made you the most wanted criminal in all of Equestria… because almost everypony in the castle saw our little brawl…"

Twilight could feel her blood pressure rising with each passing second. 'Anything else you would like to add, Sparkle?'

"Now that you mentioned it…" Sparkle paused again as if she was twiddling with her hooves. "I kind a… sort a… kind a, sort a… blew a large hole on the side of the castle…"

If Twilight wasn’t able to suppress her anger at that point, she would’ve probably burst into flames. Apparently, Sparkle must’ve felt the raw hatred beginning to form because she quickly added. "The good news is that the Princess already knew that I wasn’t the real you and she’s all for forgiving you!"

That seemed to have cooled the mare down. ‘Really?! Princess Celestia has forgiven me and she’s willing to take me back in?

"Whoa, whoa, hold on there, partner of mine." Sparkle cleared her throat. "I should mention that your perfect little princess is not as perfect as you may think she is."

Huh?’ Twilight lifted an eyebrow questionably. ‘What are you talking about?

Sparkle’s next few words came out fast and unrelenting. "When your precious little princess sent you to Ponyville to oversee the preparations, didn’t you find that whole thing just odd? And when I say odd, I mean the “overseeing the preparations”."

Twilight’s ears gave a small twitch, suppressing the urge to flatten on top of her head. ‘Well it did seem a little strange, but-

"Not only did she send you away with some out-of-the-blue request…" Sparkle interrupted. "Didn’t she also say that your claim on the return of Nightmare Moon completely “silly” and that you should stop reading those “dusty old books”?"

And… the ears are down. ‘Well, I uhh… she probably had her reasons...’ Twilight felt like she was backing into a corner.

Sparkle’s voice progressively grew colder and louder. "When Nightmare Moon returned to Equestria once again, didn’t you wonder what ever happen to Princess Celestia during that entire time? She could’ve stopped Nightmare Moon with a simple flick of her horn. She had a thousand years to grow stronger after all." She was shouting now. "But no! She decided to run away and let a barely-adult unicorn face down a goddess! Forget about the army and the entire goddamn kingdom behind her back, yes! We should send Twilight Sparkle to do it!"

The unicorn wilted under Sparkle’s shouting and new questions began cropping up in her mind, even though she didn't want them to. Twilight could already feel the tears welling up in her eyes because she knew that Sparkle’s words actually sort of make sense… Why did Princess Celestia send her to a place she neither know nor even cared about? It's true that she had made great friends at Ponyville, but that was by pure chance...right? There's also the question as to why didn’t she use the royal Equestrian army. Isn’t protecting the land from dangers like Nightmare Moon their job? Why was Twilight the one that had to research and find the Elements of Harmony, when Princess Celestia already used and knew about it? She could’ve at least mentioned it or even give a tiny clue to help her out. When she was captured and drained of her blood from Nightmare Moon… why didn’t the Princess save her when she called for help?

P-please… why are you telling me this?’ The tasteless green liquid around her suddenly tasted very salty, for the fact that her tears are now mixing in it. ‘Do you like seeing me suffer like this?

Sparkle let out a very tired sounding sigh. "No… I don’t enjoy seeing you get hurt, Twilight. The status quo has changed and you are me after all…" Another sigh, "What I’m trying to tell you is that Celestia used you so she could get her so called “sister” back. This is the harsh, cold reality and there’s no getting around that, partner." Sparkle suddenly felt compelled to give the crying unicorn a hug, cursing the fact that she doesn’t have a body to do so. "I know that this is a lot to take in so I’ll just stay quiet and leave you to your thoughts."

No, wait…!’ Twilight felt uncomfortable asking this, but she knew that she had to. ‘Can you please tell me what exactly happened back at Canterlot, between you and the Princess?

"Hmm? Alright… if you really wanted to know what happened… Heck, this will just make it easier for me." The voice disappeared, only to be replaced with a flood of images and sounds.

The experience felt completely alien to Twilight and she soon began feeling dizzy, nearly losing her nonexistent lunch. She realized that Sparkle wasn’t going to verbally tell her, but instead show her everything through her eyes and ears.

While the two Twilight Sparkles were busy fighting and conversing with one another, the changeling that was transporting the “prisoners” shivered slightly. ‘By the makers… she finally calmed down a little.

True to his promise, the changeling hadn’t spoken a single word and kept quiet. However, that didn’t stop him from feeling the wave of emotions coming from the mare on his back. Honestly, it didn’t feel like a wave… it felt like a damn tsunami! From the beginning it was pretty normal… She started with the understandable fear, she then went to a mixture of fear and disgust, next went into a completely emotionless state for a few seconds, and finally went completely haywire with a side of craziness. Surprised, annoyed, confused, fascinated, disappointed, angry, nervous, embarrassed, back to an unbelievable amount of rage, excited, hostile, shocked, grief, exhausted, concerned, wary, determined, and finally ended off with calm. He never, in all of his years as a changeling, knew of such a pony capable of pumping out so many emotions at one time. It… almost felt as if there were two ponies on his back.

‘No…no…!’ Glancing over his shoulder, the changeling could make out the silhouette of the lone unicorn. Lone. Single. Meaning not two or more ponies… just one! Quickly shaking his head, the changeling mentally slapped himself. ‘What am I doing? Why am I making such a big deal out of this? All these strange feelings and emotions in my body… this is driving me crazy! I haven’t acted like this since…’ His eyes grew to the size of dinner plates when he finally realized. ‘Oh no, not this again.’ The changeling immediately quickened his pace. ‘I have to get to the hive in time before it’s too late. The queen would know what to do… she always knows what to do!’

...


Princess Celestia watched the sun rising in the distant with a blank look on her face, thinking. She was perched on the newly formed balcony off to the side of the throne room; the pieces of rubble and glass have already stopped falling from overhead. The alicorn mentally sighed when she turned her attention to the large crowd of ponies around her; doctors and royal guards clamoring to get her attention. Most of the ponies made an effort not to fall out of the large hole on the side of the castle, but they still managed to push and shove one another. "Please, Princess!" One of the royal doctors shouted. "I would highly recommend, and I speak for all of us here, that you should go and have an examination to see if you were injured or not!"

"Thank you for your concern, doctor..." The alicorn looked down and gave a gentle smile. "However, I believe that I would just need some simple bed rest. It has been a very busy day."

One of the guardspony spoke up in a deep booming voice, "Don't worry, Princess." He pointed a hoof to the many Pegasus guards flying around outside. "We will find the traitorous bitch and bring her back to pay for the crimes against the crown." The smirk on the pony's face vanished, when a hoof come flying into his face. Picking himself off the floor, the guard shouted, "What do you think you're doing, Captain?!"

Shining Armor, already pressed onto the ground by four guards, roughly shouted, "That traitor you're talking about is my sister!" He wrenched a hoof out to point at his fellow guard. "She would never betray us! Twilight would never try to overthrow or attack the Princess!”

The guard that Shining punched immediately grinned. "That wasn't what you and I saw about an hour ago, Captain." His comment was rewarded with the pained expression on the pony’s face.

“Enough!” Princess Celestia’s face hardened into a cold stare. “I would not have my guards acting like a bunch of little foals in my castle!” The force in her commanding voice made everypony in the room immediately flattened to the floor. She slowly turned her gaze to each of the ponies on the floor before she spoke. “Lieutenant…”

The pony that was punched stood up carefully. “Y-yes, your Highness?”

“I would just like to remind you that the ponies out searching right now, is a rescue party. This is not a mission to hunt down my supposed traitorous protégé.” The alicorn’s cold stare morphed back into its neutral state. “I want to make this fact be known to all the soldiers out there, understood?”

The lieutenant quickly nodded, shuffling away as he did. “I understand completely, Princess. I’ll do just that right away!”

Celestia gave a small nod before turning her attention to her captain. “Shining Armor…” She waited for the white unicorn to slowly stand. “Your actions towards your fellow pony are inexcusable and we will be discussing your punishment at a later time.”

The snow-white unicorn grimly nodded. “Very good, your Highness…”

The goddess of the sun gave a smug grin. “On a side note, I’m proud that you would stand up for your sister’s honor, Shining.” She leaned down and whispered, “Honestly, I would’ve slapped him myself if you hadn’t already done so.”

The unicorn chuckled. “If I knew you were going to do that, I would’ve just stood back and watched.”

Princess Celestia gave an amused chuckle and playfully nudged the soldier away. Standing up straight once more, the alicorn spoke, “I would like everypony here to remain calm and return to your normal schedules. As you can see, I am perfectly healthy and uninjured from the recent attack. I will just have a few words with some of my subjects and will be retiring for the rest of the day. You are all dismissed.” And with that, the goddess of the day disappeared with a swish of her mane and tail.

As soon as the princess was gone, Shining Armor dropped his smile and began walking away from the others. ‘Why did you do that Twily?’ Trotting down a lonely corridor, the captain sighed heavily. “I know you Twilight… you’ll never do something so crazy.” The unicorn froze when he heard the soft clip-clops of hooves ahead of him. “Who’s there? Identify yourself immediately!” Perking his ears and lowering himself in a defensive stance, Shining waited for the unknown pony to show his or herself. What he didn’t expect was the form of the midnight-blue alicorn of the night, walking towards him. “Oh, Princess Luna, forgive me.” He gave a small bow. “I thought you were resting in your room.”

The alicorn timidly pawed the expensive carpet, looking away as she spoke. “We were, but hearing the loud explosions tends to draw one’s attention.” She attempted to hide her face with her mane, only managing to hide one eye. “We hope that we did not frighten thee with our presence.” She looked extremely nervous all of a sudden and almost looked as though she was about ready to run. “If we are not wanted here… then we shall leave.”

“No, wait!” Shining saw the alicorn taking a step back before quickly blurted out, “I need to ask you a question.”

Princess Luna’s face brightened at the sight of a curious soul that wished to speak to her! “Yes? We shall hear thy question and answer to the best of our ability.” The alicorn of the night sat down and smiled gently, waiting.

“The purple unicorn that you were with before you were brought to Canterlot Castle,” the unicorn quickly asked. “Do you know what happened to her? Her name is Twilight Sparkle and she’s my sister.” He began mentally praying. “Do you know where she is right now?”

The alicorn’s smile slowly turned into a frown. “We are sorry, but we have no memory of a unicorn with the name Twilight Sparkle.” She rubbed her chin with a hoof. “However, the name sounds… so familiar…” Her confused expression was quickly replaced with a look of great pain and agony. Princess Luna gripped the side of her head as she screamed, flopping onto the floor like a fish out of the water.

“Princess Luna!” Shining rushed forward; trying to see if can calm the alicorn down. “What’s happening?!” He skidded to a halt when the princess sat up suddenly, looking as if she wasn’t writhing in pain just a few seconds ago. The corridor was dead silent now and the only sound came from the captain’s slow breathing. “Princess… are you alright?” When he didn’t get a response, the snow-white unicorn decided to approach cautiously. “Princess?” He jumped back when the goddess began moving again.

Shining Armor…” The way the goddess called the pony’s name was a ghostly whisper and sent chills down the nervous captain. Closing her normal eyes for a moment, Princess Luna reopened them to reveal very different draconic ones. “You are the brother of Twilight Sparkle, yes…?

Shining gasped, jumping into a defensive stance once more. “Nightmare Moon! What did you do to my sister and the princess?” He stomped a hoof angrily. “Answer me!”

Listen to me… I don’t have much time…” The voice of Nightmare Moon continued, ignoring unicorn’s angry glare. “Your sister is safe for the moment and I believe that she will return some time in the near future.

The unicorn visibly sagged with relief. “Oh, thank Celestia.” He opened his mouth to ask the whereabouts of his sister, but was interrupted when the goddess lifted a hoof.

However, the time of turmoil and chaos for your sister will continue… She will need your help.” The alicorn grunted in pain, already feeling herself slipping. “Speak with the other Elements of Harmony and make sure that they will support your sister when the time is right. Also when she returns, you will be given a choice… and it will be up to you whether she lives or dies. My last message to you.” Nightmare Moon grunted again, closing her eyes and pressing a hoof to her temple. When she opened her eyes again they have returned to their normal form.

“Ugh… What happened?” Princess Luna shook her head back and forth, turning her gaze toward the unicorn. “Does thou have a question for us?”

“Uhh…” Shining didn’t know what to say at this point. “No… never-mind…” He bowed, quickly backing away and ignoring the confused look as he did. “I’m sorry for wasting your time, your Highness.” With that, the unicorn turned around and ran as if he had just seen a ghost. When he knew that he had made significant distant between himself and the princess, Shining Armor sat and began pondering what the princess had said. ‘What just happened? Does this mean that Nightmare Moon is returning?’ The unicorn slowly shook his head. ‘And what did she mean that I have a choice to have my sister live or not, is this some kind of sick joke to her?’ He let out a hopeless sigh. ‘Agh! Her message was too cryptic to understand. At least I got one thing out of her little crazy message. Twily… please make it back safely. I’m sure you’re afraid right now, but don’t worry… your BBBFF is going to help you.’ With his newly formed resolve, Shining Armor set off to meet up with five particular mares.