• Published 7th May 2013
  • 3,195 Views, 110 Comments

Chasing Apples, Bells and Oranges - Solarip



Rumble has spent nearly his whole young life being with his friends and family. He has nothing to complain, until a trio of fillies entered his life.

  • ...
7
 110
 3,195

Learn Something New

Chasing Apples, Bells and Oranges

By: Solarip

Chapter 3: Learn Something New

The sun had set and nightfall replaced the sunset's orange hue with a deep blue hue. The pair had gone down the stairs and went back to the sofa. Rumble sat beside the right arm, and Sweetie was next to him. Moments later, Carousel Boutique went silent as an awkward atmosphere filled the living room, affecting the foals inside. Rumble sat on the sofa, looked through the window, only to see nothing but caliginosity. Sweetie sat beside him in silence, anxiously waiting for a response from the pegasus. He also waited for the filly to break the deafening silence, but it seemed that it will never come. He turned his attention back to the boutique and to Sweetie. He saw her ears perk up as he stared at her hooves, drawing what seemed like a heart.

A few more moments had passed, then Rumble's stomach grumbled. I forgot I'm hungry. Maybe I'll cook something for me and Sweetie.

"Hey Sweetie," Rumble called.

"Y-Yes?" Sweetie asked as she folded her hooves close to her chin.

"I, um, what do want for dinner?"

A blank expression was on Sweetie's face. Moments later, she said, "Oh no. I'll cook for us. You are my guest after all."

"Are you sure? I mean, I hate to see a filly do all the work."

"It's okay. Besides, I'm doing this for you," she said. A smile appeared on her face as she slightly tilted her head. Oh Luna, she's so cute.

"Well, okay then. How could I say 'no' to that adorable face of yours?" Rumble complimented, causing Sweetie to blush madly. Confused on her reaction, he thought back to what he said. Wait, did I just say she has an adorable face? He stared at Sweetie, who was having a hard time staring back. He leaned closer to the unicorn, but the filly didn't react. He examined her face to see if what he said was true. He saw her eyes widen the moment he went closer. Her blush grew the more as he continued to stare. She concealed her blush by hiding in her mane, but to no avail. Rumble watched her hide in her mane, which made him blush. I guess it's true. She is adorable.

"You're cute," Rumble said absentmindedly, assuming what he said was only in his thoughts.

"Eh?" Sweetie asked, blushing even more.

"What did I say?"

"Th-that I'm cute?" she answered, squeaking at the end.

Did I really say that out loud?! What should I do? What can I say? Rumble thought for a moment, then quickly had a conclusion.

"Oh. Well you are," he declared.

Sweetie, looking surprised, stared at Rumble for a few minutes.

"Um, thanks?"

"Don't mention it."

Rumble leaned back to his place and stared back to the window. As he gazed into the window, he noticed at the corner of his eye the unicorn staring at him. His mind returned to the boutique afterwards by the voice of the filly.

"So, I'll start cooking now," she said, pointing at the kitchen.

"Sure, I guess," Rumble said.

Sweetie smiled then jumped down the sofa. Rumble followed suit, only to find Sweetie stopping him in his tracks. She turned to him and placed a hoof at his chest.

"Oh no you don't! You get back on that sofa and be cool while I cook us dinner," Sweetie commanded.

"But I wanna help," Rumble whined.

"No, I'll do it myself," she said.

Rumble and Sweetie stared at each other for a moment, frozen by the fact that the pegasus is worried about her. I don't wanna make her feel I'm useless and all, but she's insisting me to just sit on the couch. Oh, I know! If she gets into trouble or if she needs my help, then I'll rush to her side in a flash. That way, I won't feel useless. It's perfect!

"Okay then," he said, finally giving in.

"Great! Now just sit there and be cool," she said, pointing at the sofa.

"Okay," he said as he complied with her orders.

* * * *

Ten minutes had passed. Rumble had been lying down on the sofa before then. Occasionally, he would glance through the kitchen door, to see the utterly terrifying chaos she had caused just a few minutes earlier. Not only did she turn the oven into a hazardous smoke machine, she even set the kitchen sink ablaze. How can she turn a kitchen upside down in three minutes? This made Rumble feel uneasy knowing that his stomach might be on the line. Sweetie said to stay put, but it looks like she really needs help. He heard a small explosion from the oven, light flashing in the kitchen.

Then he heard a scream.

Rumble opened his wings. With a powerful flap, he was lifted to the air. He dove to the kitchen until he was inches above the floor. Seconds later, he found himself standing in the middle of the bedlam that was once the kitchen. Smoke was what he could see. Afterwards, it started to fill his nose and his eyes began to tear up. He covered a hoof on his muzzle, and then he continued his search. Sweetie, where are you?

"Sweetie!" Rumble yelled.

"Rumble! Help!" Sweetie yelled back.

"Where are you?"

"I-I *cough* I'm under *wheeze* the table," she said as her voice slowly faded.

Oh no. I'd better make it quick.

Rumble began to flutter his wings as he trotted around the room. Fanning the smoke with her wings was not a practical approach, but it worked wonderfully. At least I can see things two feet away from me. He kept a close eye, hoping to find Sweetie as fast as he can. He whipped his head in different directions, looking for a sign of her. A few seconds had passed, and he found a wooden leg. This must be the table where she is. He found the other legs and the filly in distress.

He saw Sweetie Belle, curled up in a ball. She was head over hooves covered in soot. Her alabaster coat turned pale grey. Her pink and purple mane and tail seemed to have lost their vibrancy. Her eyes were tightly shut with tears flowing down her cheeks. She was whimpering in fear, whispering something only she could understand.

Without hesitation, Rumble picked her up with ease. She's pretty light. Pretty and light! He carried her with her hind legs on his left hoof and her back on his right hoof. Her forelegs were wrapped around Rumble. Then she leaned on his shoulder, but her eyes were still shut.

He fluttered his wings, and then he flew out of the kitchen with no time to waste. Afterwards, he landed on the sofa, and then laid her there, her head resting on the arm. Rumble sat beside her, holding her hoof. I think it's a good time to let her know I really care for her. Sweetie let out a series of dry coughs before she opened her eyes, meeting with his own. He started to brush the soot out of the filly. Sweetie, on the other hand, remained still.

"What happened, Sweetie?" Rumble asked as he took out the soot from her mane.

"I-I..." she stuttered, an anxious look on her face.

Rumble continued to clean her until she was back to her normal color. He smiled when he saw the filly was void of smut, but turned to a frown after he saw the worried look on her face. She must be worried about what I might say to her.

He opened his mouth, and he saw her forelegs in front of her face. He smiled, and then gently put her hooves down.

"Hey Sweetie, it's alright. It's not your fault," Rumble said as he placed his hoof on her cheek. Sweetie held his hoof afterwards. She's so soft. I've never knew a filly is this soft.

"But..."

"It's alright, as long as you're safe. We'll clean up later," he said, a faint smile on his face.

Sweetie smiled, and then pulled him in for a hug. Her mane brushed against his ear. Her forelegs were tightly wrapped around his neck. Seconds later, Rumble accepted it and wrapped his forelegs around her chest. Surprisingly, Sweetie giggled when his hooves touched her body.

"What's so funny?" Rumble happily asked.

"You should've probably noticed that I'm really ticklish," Sweetie said.

The pair broke free from their hug. Rumble saw almost half of Sweetie Belle was covered in soot. Don't tell me I was dirty, too?

"Um, Sweetie?"

"Yes?"

"You got a little something on you," he said as pointed at the spots covered in the residue.

"Never mind that. We'll clean it up later," Sweetie said.

"Oh okay the— " Rumble stopped as a thought came into his head. "Did you say 'we'?"

"Yup."

Rumble's face was flushed pure red, with no idea what to say.

"Why? Do you trust me?" Sweetie asked as she pouted.

"O-Of course I do."

"Then there's no problem with bathing together, right?" she asked with a smile.

"Um, I think that's beyond trust," he said as he placed a hoof on her shoulder.

"Oh," she trailed off while she drew hearts on the sofa.

"Anyway, should I cook for us?" he suggested. I don't want another awkward atmosphere.

"No. But I have an idea."

* * * *

The pair decided to cook for each other. The kitchen was filled with chaos yet again, but a different kind this time. This is organized chaos, where harmony was at its minimum but still maintaining order such that everypony knew what they need and where they placed it. Well, at least Rumble knew what he was doing. He planned on making cream of wild mushroom soup; because that was the only recipe he learned to cook on his own. He knew it by heart, so he started with ease. He would take occasional glances at Sweetie, who seemed to be making scrambled eggs for Rumble. I hope we survive before I could even taste them.

After a half hour in the kitchen, Rumble, with a faint smile, had made soup for three. I made extra in case she wants more. Wait, since when did I like cooking so much? Sure I find cooking fun, but when did I get so worked up over soup? He turned to gaze at Sweetie, who is also done with her dish. I don't think she was making scrambled eggs for me.

"Looks like we're done," Rumble declared. Sweetie smiled back in response.

"Now for a spoon," he said to himself as he reached for a spoon on the counter. He thought he had found it, so he held it.

Wait, spoons aren't soft.

Rumble turned to see what it was, only to see Sweetie's hoof in his grasp. She seemed to be reaching for the same spoon. His gaze went up from their hooves to her face. Her face was flushed in red and her eyes widened as they met with his. Moments later, they pulled their hooves close to their chest simultaneously.

"Oh! Do you want this spoon?" Sweetie asked politely.

"Um, I want it, but it's fine if you want it though," Rumble said, scratching his head.

"O-Okay then," she said then slowly grabbed the spoon afterwards.

Rumble, holding a bowl of soup, flew to the vacant chair. On the other hand, Sweetie held the plate with her mouth and trotted to the other vacant seat. Moments later, they finally settled down.

"So, do we switch now?" Sweetie asked.

"Yeah, I guess," Rumble replied.

And so, the pair started to exchange dishes. Rumble, trying not to spill the soup, slowly pushed it across the table. Sweetie did the same. He stared at her dish with both curiosity and anxiety.

What seemed like a pile of grey mush covered in ash was actually scrambled eggs. He examined every bit of detail, delaying what he must do. Should I ask her? It might hurt her feelings if I say the wrong thing.

"Um, Sweetie?" Rumble asked Sweetie, who was indulging in his cream of wild mushroom soup.

"Mmhmm?" she asked with a full mouth.

"This is scrambled eggs, right?" he asked, pointing at the indescribable plate of Celestia knows what.

"Mmhmm," she nodded. She's so cute!

"Okay. Just checking," he said as he turned his attention back to the plate.

Should I eat it? If I do, then I might die of food poisoning and Sweetie would be responsible. If I don't, then I might hurt her feelings and might not talk to me ever again for the rest of my life. What should I pick?

I guess trying it won't hurt. Besides, I'll never know what it tastes like if I don't eat it.

Rumble cut a part of the 'scrambled eggs', and held it with a spoon. He slowly raised it to his mouth. Regretting what he will do, he opened his mouth and hoped to Celestia he stays alive after this.

He was sweating bullets while frozen in his state. Seconds later, he shoved the spoon in his mouth.

The last thing he felt was a hard lump making its way down his throat before everything went black.

Author's Note:

If he did survive that bite, how will he survive the rest of the meal?

Tell me what you think. Comments, Suggestions or Requests are welcome!
As always, hope you enjoyed it!