• Published 7th May 2013
  • 3,177 Views, 110 Comments

Chasing Apples, Bells and Oranges - Solarip



Rumble has spent nearly his whole young life being with his friends and family. He has nothing to complain, until a trio of fillies entered his life.

  • ...
7
 110
 3,177

Solitude

Chasing Apples, Bells and Oranges

By: Solarip

Chapter 10: Solitude

Rumble ran as quickly as he can as the raindrops landed on his face. They were cold and annoying, but that didn't matter. Rumble had his thoughts wandering about one filly – Sweetie Belle. He looked straight, ignoring anything around him. Even the unnecessary things blocking him and his destination didn't matter. What mattered was Sweetie Belle. With the feeling of guilt and desperation crowding his mind, he lowered his head and galloped like a race horse.

He planned to get to Carousel Boutique as fast as possible, but the rain made it seem less and less achievable. Minute after minute, the rain grew stronger and the wind blew colder. Rumble looked up and saw the sky covered in dark clouds. Well I guess flying isn't gonna be an option. He turned back down and saw the cobblestone road under his hooves. Moments later, he began to see canopies and stalls on both sides. At a glance, he saw Carrot Top, a nice young mare who was struggling to walk on fours. He noticed that she saw him as well. They stared for a second then he turned his head forward and continued to run.

After running past a few stalls, he made it to one of the most popular landmarks and bakeries in Ponyville – Sugarcube Corner. He stopped under the entrance canopy and shook the water that got on his coat and mane. He peeked through the door to see the delicious pastries and baked goods the gingerbread house of a bakery has to offer. Rumble looked left and right, and only saw a dimly lit room devoid of goods. The tables were empty and the counter was blank. He looked further and saw a door on the furthest part of the room. It was ajar and a bright yellow light came off the opening. He saw a sign hanging on the doorknob and read, "EMPLOYEES ONLY".

Rumble looked down to the door and another sign was hanging by a thread bound on opposite sides of it and mounted through a nail. It says "CLOSED" in bold red letters. He felt disappointed after reading the sign, and he turned around to look at the streets. The rain poured heavily and the wind blew strong as the ponies struggling to get home were soaking wet. Luckily for Rumble, he was still dry. He watched the trees sway violently and the leaves blow away while he waited for the storm to calm down. He sat on the cold purple pavement. Looking down on his hooves, his mind trailed off to what was bothering him.

The emotions that were running in his mind were in discord. From guilt to angst, then to confusion. They shuffled endlessly and his mind couldn't pick one. His hooves tapped on the floor in a slow rhythm. He stared at them, and looked up afterwards. Still raining. As minutes passed, he grew impatient and anxious. Eventually, he listened to the sporadic rhythm of the heavy rain around him.

This soothed him a little when he closed his eyes and let each raindrop crash onto the surface. The soundscape was like the lullaby of the earth, a song to be worth listening to but ignored because most of the ponies don't like to get wet. Rumble trailed off as he was entranced by the sound of rain. He was reminded of the times when he played in the rain when he was little. He didn't have a care in the world, even if he was soaking wet, as long as he was having fun. He would even have his mother wrap him around a large towel and dry himself off while he drinks his favorite hot chocolate drink.

He remembered when he met his first and best friend, Featherweight. It was when Rumble went to the park with his parents. He played at the playground with his brother, Thunderlane, watching him. He was still in high school that time. Rumble was playing in the sandbox when Featherweight crashed in front of him. Some time later, they became best friends and never grew apart as pals for life.

Eventually, those good times went away as he grew up. He started to go to school, and responsibilities came along. Good times changed from simple pleasures to complicated desires. He is still young, so he still has a lot to live for. However, he feels like he has grown mature. He can stand up on his own, fight for what it is right, and be responsible for his actions. Right now, he has to do just that, for what he did was mostly his responsibility, apart from Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.

"Right now, I have to be the colt to be there for Sweetie Belle," he said to himself as his train of nostalgia and thought ended.

He looked around him and didn't see anypony walking around. Obviously. How would anypony take a calm stroll when they can't even stand up straight in this weather. Newspapers and leaves were flying about in the mercy of the roaring wind. It was uncommon to have a storm grow like this in mere minutes. However, Rumble didn't care, because what was in his mind was the face of Sweetie Belle before she walked away.

How in Equestria can I explain this to her? She might not believe anything I say!

He rubbed his chin with a hoof as his train of thought continued. The raindrops of the wild storm would fall on him, but he didn't mind. He was simply waiting for it to calm so he can go to a place where there are walls and a roof, maybe with a depressing atmosphere.

What if I told her that we were just playing? Would she believe me? I mean, it's not the truth, but I gotta say something. Oh who am I kidding! She saw the whole thing! She watched me kiss Apple Bloom. How can I make her believe that I didn't kiss her?!

He threw a hoof to the ground. The thump was loud, but the rain was louder. His rage was merely muffled by the fierce heavy rain. He brought his hooves in front of his face. His left hoof was wet from the floor, while the other was still dry. He felt that his left was cold, while the other was not. He placed it on the floor again, and he didn't flinch. When he placed his right hoof on the wet floor, he felt the drop in temperature in an instant. He was surprised and pulled his hoof back.

Something struck him. His left hoof stepped onto the wet floor with ease. It wasn't afraid to face the chilly pavement. But when his right hoof did the same, hesitation came into play because of the freezing floor compared to his hoof. It felt like ice while it felt like cool water on his left. After minutes of contemplation, he decided to run for it. So much time was wasted, but I think I can still make it.

Rumble stood up on all fours. He could still feel the coldness in his flank. He shrugged it off and brushed his coat. With determination in his eyes, he raised his head, took a step forward, and began to walk in the heavy rain. His hooves clopped against the cobblestone road. His mane was drawn back even more and his coat was soaking wet. He was shivering form the cold, but he just had to bear it. He wanted to go to Sweetie Belle, and with the courage in him, he wouldn't let rain stop him from being there for her.