• Published 9th Apr 2013
  • 4,172 Views, 201 Comments

Change in Perspective - Quicksear



Discord has been meddling in other dimensions and to the horror of the Princess has brought a creature back from one of them to prove it.

  • ...
13
 201
 4,172

Dreamscape

The forest was dark, dank and earthy. Scents wafted through on night breezes that never stirred a branch, smelling of loam and all the woody tones of sap and crumbling boughs. Disembodied voices of the nightly creatures played a sweet melody that dulled the senses even as the seeping cold began to drag upon Marc’s tired limbs. The depths of darkness having fallen hours before, Marc found himself standing before a rocky face that soared high into the sky, the only edifice to pierce the unending canopy for miles around. He stood before the rock spur, gazing up at the moon, wrapping himself in the experience of the forest. He had heard of the terrors within; the monsters, the endless winding tracks seemingly made to lead a traveller awry. He felt the creeping night, and felt the soft calls of the trees.

And he found them comforting, for they were free.

The Everfree reminded Marc of his home-world, where nature was allowed to follow its own rules, not running in the guidelines of demi-gods and organizations. No matter how brutal the forest may be, it was still closer to home than the town right now. Marc had not planned to go so deep, nor so far, but the trek had not been half as hard, or at all as terrifying as he had been led to believe. In fact, it was calming.

And so, Marc laid himself to sleep at the foot of the rockface after building a large, smoky fire. The only creatures likely to search him out here were the animals of the forest, and fire would only keep them at bay.

Marc looked into the flames for what felt like an age, listening to the disordered cacophony just beyond his quiet circle of light. The lullaby soothed him, halting the pained thoughts in his mind, closing his eyes and halting his senses.

*****

“This dreamscape is certainly not the usual type. You have an interesting mind, Marc.”

Marc didn’t open his eyes. He simply became aware of his surroundings in one flash of perspective. He was standing at the peak of tall slate grey angular monolith, looking over a rolling plane of blue; an ocean. Posted all around him were ever taller grey spires of either marble or metal, breaking through the high clouds and letting the soft ambient glow radiating off from the towers leak out into the night sky. Every now and again, a tower would flash a different colour; purple, green, red...Gold...before returning to their bland, yet bright steel grey.

It was the golden flashes he looked forward to the most.

“She has a charmed you, I see.”

Marc looked sharply to his left, noticing for the first time the presence he was always aware of. The tall midnight blue Alicorn looked down at him with a look of concern buried in her stern eyes. Marc bobbed his head politely. “Good evening Princess Luna.”

She nodded in return, sitting beside him on the precipice as barely whispering waves roared in the smash on against the tower in a soundless tempest beneath them.

“Er...Luna...Where exactly am I?”

Luna looked down at him and smiled. “Why, this is your dream world. You weren't dreaming this night, so I made one for you. I made the dream, and your mind made the place.”

Marc looked around. “Well, it doesn't say much for my creativity, does it? I suppose you need to ask me something, Princess? Are you wondering why I am still alive?”

Luna did not answer for a moment, gathering her thoughts. “I was wondering why you were in the middle of the Everfree forest, but I did not greatly fear for your safety...should I?’

Marc felt she was hiding something, and couldn't bring himself to fully trust her. Her sister had sentenced him to death, and Luna had to be aware of it. But on the other hand, Luna had been kind to him before, and her presence on its own was soothing. “Princess, you must know why I am here; your sister‘s actions have made her intent very clear. I just want to live in peace where I may, now. Is that too much to ask?”

Marc looked up at Luna beside him. Her expression could have been many things, but rather than anything Marc had expected, it was confusion and hurt she wore. “What do you mean? Have not we done all in our power to make your time here as pleasant as it may be? Celestia’s letter must have greatly improved your time in Ponyville!”

Marc leapt away from the stupefied alicorn, catching himself as the waves below him crashed higher. “What?! That letter nearly got me killed! The town tried to lynch me! Is that ‘a better time’, or that just madness? Luna, I don’t know what game you’re all playing, but I just want out!”

Luna stood as well, but looked down, brow furrowed in thought. “I helped write that letter...”

Marc lowered his head as some icy spray swept over the monolith’s surface, and growled out, “YOU helped write that...that death sentence? How could you do that to me?!”

Luna looked around frantically before staring intently at Marc, saying, “Marc, I didn't write whatever it was you-” A vast crash filled the air as sound finally breached bubble of quiet that had surrounded them, along with a long waling howl that degenerated into cacophonous laughter.

“Oh Luna, haha! Turns out you did find him first, and I lose my own bet! What a shame...” The circling form above them hissed as it took shape.

Marc nearly choked on his own tongue. It was that...that creature that had brought him here, the one Twilight had named Discord. The elemental power of Chaos. Of course he had something to do with this!

“YOU! We should have known thy wouldst have thy claws in this! Thou hast played us and our sister for fools yet again, demon!” Luna shouted powerfully, pushing the sounds of the storm raging beyond the monolith’s surface back beyond the bubble of calm she maintained.

Discord landed with a pirouette and bowed, and small puff of confetti shooting out from behind him and morphing in to ever growing kernels of heavy foam, much of it landing on Marc and squashing him flat.

Discord threw the contained human a cheerful wink before sweeping back up. “Luna, you cannot harm me here! I’m in a dreamscape! Technically, I’ve spent much longer in these constructs than you have, dear Princess. Why, I used to look in on you and your sister when you were but young, promising threatening fillies. I should have dealt with you then, instead of having to deal with you now!”

Luna nearly screamed as she lunged at the infuriating draconequus. But instead of her horn meeting flesh, she found it buried in a giant foam figure of herself wearing a clown wig.

Calming herself, she wrenched herself free and turned to face the devious pest, calculating.

“We see your plan, Discord. Thou wish to confront us? Then do so! Name your field and we shall more than readily stand to crush you yet again!”

“Ohoh, is that so, Princess?” Discord sneered, “We? We? Your sister is not here and your olden-tongue doesn't scare me, little fawn. This is all your fault, you know. You and your sister's. You send me to Ponyville to reform me all over again but for once, for once it actually works! She showed me how to be friendly, to be nice. She made my day, you know that? She was fun without destroying anything. She was my friend. And what did you do? You took me away, held promises of visits to her like a carrot before me and never coming through! Well, if you won't let me have my friend, I will just have to get to her."

Through you.Your sister did me in last time, you were just cannon fodder, to delay me. Very well, then, Luna, I will face you down. Not here, but somewhere equally familiar to our unwitting pawn here.” Discord flicked a claw in Marc’s direction. Marc looked at it incredulously as it landed a foot in front of his nose. He was starting to black out from the pressure on his chest, and his mind was becoming muddled. He stared past the claw, up at Luna.

And she stared back. A light sparked in her eye and determination lit her gaze. She shook herself, heckling in anger, and nodded assent to the still-giggling monster standing proudly on the edge of the tier of cold stone.

Discord narrowed his eyes, his chuckle deepening to a growl. “As you with Princess. Just try an catch me!” He leaned back, falling off of the edge, down into a blinding flash of light. With spread wings and lowered horn, Luna charged after him with a battle-cry, being engulfed in the same light before everything faded to black, and the crashing storm around him utterly blanked out Marc’s perception.

*****

“Marc! Marc! C’mon, wake up you dumb hairless ape!”

His eyes shot open as he exclaimed loudly over the tremulous voice above him, “Hey, that’s uncalled for, I can’t help being my species!”

Marc blinked a few times, trying to reassert his senses, he looked around, his eyes settling on the prismatic mane in front of his face, or, more importantly, the wild eyes below it. “Whoa, Rainbow, you okay?”

Rainbow Dash gave a snort of relieved laughter as she replied, “What? Seriously? You just stop breathing for like six minutes, then wake up and check on me? Get your priorities straight mister!” She stepped back, allowing Marc to rise slowly to his feet.

Marc looked at the Pegasus as she ruffled her wings and sat down, looking up at him. “Rainbow, why are you even here? I thought I left you back in Ponyville.”

She humphed before replying, “Yeah, sure, when Ditzy saw you just walking off into the forest, her first thought was to let me get my beauty sleep. Of course she sent me after you! And trust me, you wouldn't have argued with her either. Now, dude, why did you spaz on the breathing? Do humans just do that sometimes?”

Marc looked down, brow furrowed in thought. “I...don’t quite remember... Luna, it’s got something to do with Luna...”

Click

He looked up sharply, startling Rainbow to her hooves. “We have to get back to Ponyville. I got a bad feeling about this...”

Author's Note:

Hey, look, a chapter!

Yeah, sorry about the delays, I know how annoying they can be. My excuses are many and tenfold, but all I can say is that I am trying my damnedest, so thanks for being patient.

I may come back to this one later, but I put a little of everything I could for you guys in here. We're nearly at the hundredth fav, too! But not near the hundredth upvote. Whats up with that? Let's reach that lofty goal, comrades!

Regards
Quicksear.