• Published 9th Apr 2013
  • 4,164 Views, 201 Comments

Change in Perspective - Quicksear



Discord has been meddling in other dimensions and to the horror of the Princess has brought a creature back from one of them to prove it.

  • ...
13
 201
 4,164

Sunset

Ditzy had a warm fuzzy feeling all over for days. The day after Marc had been returned to Ponyville, she had been the second pony to see him. (Only because Twilight was worried that Ditzy would get impatient again, apparently.) But that didn't matter now. Marc had remembered her! They had spent all day meeting the other ponies Marc had befriended: Pinkie Pie had appeared out of nowhere carting her party cannon, loaded with cupcakes. Fluttershy had brought Marc a bunny for companionship, Applejack a barrel of her family's famous Cider (The hard kind, by the way). And Rarity had brought the magnificent suit she had so carefully crafted for him. Vinyl and Octavia had come around early in the day, too, and offered to play a song. Marc had refused mildly, saying he would rather keep the offer for another occasion.

And all the while, Ditzy had been able to sit against Marc's side and watch at the antics of the other ponies, laugh at their jokes and stare in awe as Rainbow Dash put on a show to rival the Wonderbolts themselves. She hadn't felt for one moment as if she didn't belong, or was a nuisance. Rainbow Dash even started calling her Ditzy, and asked if she would like to join her among the clouds. Ditzy had been so proud at that: the best flyer in Ponyvillle asking HER, the clumsy mare who hadn't made it through two weeks in flight school, if she wanted to fly together. But she had declined, not wanting for a second to leave the side of the Man who had made it all possible. And Marc had felt the same way.

After a couple days, Marc had returned to the town, much to the praise the townponies. Vinyl had even gotten together a few musicians and led a small welcome march, which had ended in hilarity when Lyra had fallen over Carrot Top's tail while trying to keep her attention off Bon Bon's teasing her with a smoothie. Marc had been reserved and quiet, thinking abouthow drastic this happy reaction was to the last one he recalled. Not to complain, of course, but the difference was clearly affecting him. And something seemed to be weighing heavily on him, but that was to be expected, given what he been through.

Ditzy had returned to Rosewood, her home, but Marc had had to stay with Twilight so that she could monitor his recuperation. Every now and again, he would still have blank moments, but he was coming along better than had been expected. All in all, Life was returning to normal.

*****

Marc was not the same as he was before, to be sure, but he had a new found clarity about what now had to be done. That evening, he had reviewed in his mind what Princess Luna had told him; The gift that had been bestowed upon him. A choice, and a chance, to fix everything that had happened. To leave everyone - everyONE - happy. It was time to put it to use. But first, he had something important to see to.

*****

Vinyl was having a good day. Her music had been gaining popularity lately after her radio show had taken off, and Octavia had had just been offered a new recording deal that involved a lot of high end living...for two. Marc's return march had not been her highest moment, but given the time and resources available, it had gone over rather well. She was wondering whether or not to start a new project when she heard a knock on her door. She sighed and slowly levered her way out of a beanbag to stagger over and answer (She and Octavia may have celebrated the new deal a bit overmuch).
She rubbed her eyes and opened the door. To her surprise, her visitor was the one and only biped hero himself.
"Hiya, Vinyl. I'd just like to know if that offer for a song was still open..." Marc asked awkwardly. Vinyl's eyes widened as he explained what he intended to do.

*****

Rainbow was proud that Marc had finally recovered. Now things could get back to normal. She had gotten back into her old rhythm of being late for work and early for play. As she lay on a cloud, she wondered what she was going to do today. Maybe find Pinkie Pie and pull some pranks? But the mayor still had her eye on them after that indecent in the tax archives. Spike shouldn't have been allowed near all those scrolls alone anyway. So maybe she'd visit Applejack, that mare was always good for a laugh when she got annoyed.

Just then her planning was interrupted by a call from the ground. Marc.

She dropped down to the ground with a cheerful greeting. But as Marc explained his thoughts, she became quiet.
Twilight was more than a little nervous. Marc had told her everything that he intended, but nothing he said, not that he had the blessing of the Princesses, could quell her anxiety. She trotted around her Library, talking to herself, telling herself that it was all going to be all right: And in her heart, she knew it. Marc was right. He had had another life before this one that could not simply be ignored.

Rainbow Dash had ended up going to Sweet Apple Acres after all, but not for the fun of it. Applejack and big Mac were now several miles out of town, pulling the heavy carts of equipment Marc had asked them to haul to where Rainbow Dash led them. Applejack could not help be amazed at this turn of events. Luna said what now?

Pinkie Pie had a lot to do in very little time. Nopony had told her about the thing at the place with the stuff and all that, but she knew what she was in charge of. She hurried to her preparations, knowing the importance of what was going to happen.
A plan was playing out. Many were involved, and many were nervous about it. But the time was set, and the preparations underway. All would begin at sunset.

*****

Ditzy was basking on the roof of Rosewood, rolling in the thatch and smiling. What a good day she was having. Marc had said that he would be busy this morning, but it was already starting towards evening, so maybe she could go visit him again. With her mind made up, she was about to take off, only to be stopped by a tired-looking Rainbow Dash. "Hey Ditzy...You gotta follow me, quick, time’s wasting. Everypony's waiting!"

Ditzy took off immediately and followed as Rainbow took off into the evening sky. What is going on? Is anypony hurt? Is Marc okay?

It was nearly an hour before Rainbow finally landed at the base of a hill, quite far from Ponyville. It was even worse for the long circuitous route Rainbow had flown. Now that they had landed, Rainbow nudged Ditzy up the slope towards the summit, a ridge with the outlines of ponies, her friends, and to her astonishment, both Princesses, all looking down at her. But her eyes were locked on only one of the figures. The undeniably human outline of Marc standing in front of them all.

She stopped just below the ridge, looking up. Marc was wearing his magnificent suit that cut his figure handsomely. He jumped down to her and gave her a hug. "Hello, Ditzy," he said with a note of emotion in his voice.

"M-Marc...What is g-going on?"

Marc did not reply. Instead, Luna spoke over the group of ponies, all their eyes turned to her as she explained. "We are gathered here today on the request of our one and only human friend, Marc. We all agree that he has done very well for himself in Equestria. In fact, many of us owe him our lives. But he is not here of his own volition. No, he was pulled here as a cruel joke by a despicable spirit. We, from the very beginning, accepted that one day a decision would have to be made as to whether he could or would be returned to his home world."

Here, she paused and reviewed the assembled ponies, some looking worried, others accepting. She looked at her sister before continuing. "I personally know what it is like to be pulled away from all you know and love, and be turned upon an alien landscape. I of course deserved it, and can only wonder at the pain of being put through it for no cause. Which is why I gave Marc a choice."

She looked down at Marc, who stood solemnly over the terror-struck Ditzy. "No," the pegasus whispered, "No, no...N-No...". Marc hugged her around the shoulders and whispered, "Don't cry, listen."

Luna continued. "I promised Marc that the choice would remain his and his alone. Yesterday, my sister received a letter containing Marc's decision. Of course,” Luna smiled dryly, “ he would not allow the choice to be so simple."

Here Celestia took over from her younger sister, "Equestria is safe now, due to the faith of friends in one another, and the selfless sacrifice of Marc. Thanks to him, Luna is with us, and Discord…He is not. He is gone from our world entire, and we may rest easy. Marc laid out a request that, in the light of all this, I could not object to. We are all here to see it come to fruition. Marc, if you please."

Marc turned and looked Ditzy straight in the eye. Then he smiled. 'Ditzy, you beautiful mare, how could you ever doubt me?"

The group of ponies all began to grin and let out a communal "Awwww!"

Marc pulled the confused Ditzy up onto the ridge that Rainbow Dash had shown him back in what felt like the distant past, almost dreamlike, and all the sweeter for it. Celestia's horn glowed gently as she guided the sun in its path to its resting place, lighting the sky in glorious colours as Marc nodded over to a teary Vinyl in her impromptu music booth. Octavia readied herself and her instrument, waiting for the perfect moment.

Marc whispered to Ditzy as the entire forest was lit in shades of gold and orange, the colours mixing with the slowly turning autumn leaves to bathe the vista in colours of liquid fire.

"I could never leave now. You are all my world, now, And you...You are my home." Marc sat and hugged Ditzy as he held up a wrapped scroll into the burning sky. "And this here is me saying goodbye to what I once was."

Luna smiled as she focused on the magic she about to perform.

Everypony on the ridge stared in awe as the sun and moon rose and fell in perfect sync, lighting the sky in contrasting shades that dazzled the eye. At that moment, chords of beautiful music began to fill the air. Vinyl and Octavia played the piece of music that meant the world to the two sitting in each other's embrace, surrounded by their friends, aware of everything and nothing, staring at the glorious tableau as their senses were suffused with beauty in every way. Majesty lit the landscape, happiness filled their hearts and hope brought life to it all, reverberating through their very souls. Ditzy nuzzled her way into Marc's arms, glowing with relief and joy, reveling in the shared sense ecstasy.

And at that moment of bliss, Marc watched the scroll he had so carefully prepared vanish in a puff of flame, and with it, all his worries.

Author's Note:

There you are, guys, the penultimate piece for Change in Perspective, and the completion of this rewritten story!
Gotta say, it was fun to write...again...and I'm happy that i took my first story and made it this much better.
But it isn't quite finished...you see, I still want those hundred upvotes, so you will get the Epilogue once the thumbs up at the top stands next to triple digits. It will tie up your loose ends and answer your questions. If I know what those questions are, I guess (hint, hint)

Regards
Quicksear