• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 3,469 Views, 160 Comments

The Mane Six's Pokemon Journey - Cheesecake404

  • ...
13
 160
 3,469

Chapter 7: the Road to Viridan City

The Road to Viridian City

The seven stood on the outskirts of Pallet Town watching cars and trucks coming in.

“Wow, so those are cars.”

“Yes Twilight, and in them are the rest of the professor's team to help you get home.” Zander's smile turned to a frown when he saw a few trucks with a large yellow G on them. I guess they’re experts too.

“Hey, is everything alright?”

“Yeah, Pinkie. It's a good thing we left when we did. Some of the people the professor called are not on good terms with me. Come on time to go.”

A wave of nostalgia came over Zander as he took in the familiar smells, sights, and sounds. He stopped a few feet after they began and looked back at the girls. “Take a moment to take in the fact that today marks the start of an adventure like no other. Think about the places you'll see, the people you'll meet and the friends you'll make. Today is the day your lives change.”

Everyone stood there and reflected on what Zander said. Twilight knew he was right. Today was like when she went to Ponyville only she wouldn't have to fight an evil mare of darkness, but the day was young. Pinkie was excited as always at the idea of making new friends. Rainbow thought he was being dramatic again.

Rarity was worried about the hygiene of living on the road. Applejack remembered the time she left home. Fluttershy was scared at the idea of her life changing.

“Alright, time to go. For real this time.”

They walked for two hours before coming to a tree on a hill. “This looks like a good spot to set up camp.” Zander set up a tent, table, and chairs.

“So, what do we do now?” Twilight asked

“Whatever you want, just don't go too far from camp and get lost.”

“Awesome, time to catch some Pokemon!” Rainbow said as she started to leave the camp, only to stop and look back to Zander. “How do you do that?”

Zander chuckled, “I guess now is as good a time as any to show you. Follow me.” He lead the group to a field. “Pokemon are everywhere, you just have to look. Once you see a Pokemon you want, you battle it, as I will demonstrate.”

Zander moved through the tall grass to flush out a Pokemon. Soon a purple mouse ran out. “Ah, a Rattata perfect.” Twilight pulled out her pokedex. “Rattata the mouse Pokemon, it bites anything when it attacks. Small and very quick, it is a common sight in many places.” “So, it's a mouse, interesting.”

“Yeah, Rattata is a common normal type, and a good way for trainers to test their metal. Instead of you know, challenging a champion.” He looked at Rainbow with a smirk on his face. “Go! Victreebel!” Out came the familiar grass type Pokemon. “To catch a Pokemon you need a pokeball and you need to weaken the Pokemon you want to catch.”

The Rattata leapt forward to attack Victreebel. “Move out of the way.” Victreebel dodged it, but just barely. “Now use Cut.” Victreebel sliced the Rattata knocking it out. “Okay, now for the capture.” Zander threw out a pokeball with yellow and gray circles on it. The ball hit the Rattata and opened up and the Pokemon disappeared inside. The ball wiggled around for a while before it stopped with a small click.

Zander picked up the ball and held it out, “And that's how you catch a Pokemon.” The ball then disappeared from his hand.

“Woa, where did it go?” Rainbow asked shocked.

“To the storage system. A trainer can only carry six Pokemon at a time. Also, when catching Pokemon keep in mind you don't need a lot of strategy unless they're really strong, and using status conditions like paralysis and sleep can make catching then easier. The right pokeball helps too, the one I used is called a repeatball, it works better on Pokemon you already have.”

“Alright! Now it's time to catch a Pokemon!” Rainbow said as she ran off.

“Be careful Rainbow, and good luck.”

Back at camp, Twilight asked Zander what he would do with the Rattata. “I'll release it back into the wild.”

“Why?”

“I already have one. There was a time I would catch every new Pokemon I saw, but now I only catch the ones I can use or that are hard to find.”

“Zander?”

“Yes, Fluttershy?”

“I was wondering, if you can only carry six Pokemon, then where did Victreebel come from?”

“Ah yes, the Pokemon you saw before were my Sinnoh team. Since we're in Kanto I decided to use my Kanto team.”

“You keep your Pokemon in teams?”

“Yes, the Pokemon I used to win a championship are my best, and I keep them together in teams.”

___________________________

“Oh man, this is harder than I thought.” Rainbow had searched for an hour and hadn't seen hide nor hair of Pokemon. “Maybe I should just go back.” As she did she heard a commotion from behind some bushes. Alright! Maybe my luck has changed. Behind the bush were two Pokemon having a heated battle. Rainbow used her pokedex to identify them.

“Spearow the tiny bird Pokemon, its loud cry can be heard over half a mile away. If its high, keening cry is heard echoing all around, it is a sign that they are warning each other of danger.”

“Nidoran Male the poison pin Pokemon, it is small, but its horn is filled with poison. It charges then stabs with the horn to inject poison.”

The Nidoran was jabbing with it's horn, while the Spearow was pecking and scratching. Perfect! Once they're done I'll catch the winner. The two kept at it until the Nidoran delivered the final blow. Rainbow leapt from the bushes.

“Alright little guy, you're mine. Go! Charmander!” The Nidoran charged full board at Charmander hitting it hard. “Don't give up, use scratch.” Charmander scratched the Nidoran, it stammered a bit before collapsing.

“OK! Here goes nothing!” She threw a pokeball and hit the Pokemon. Seconds became minuets as the ball rocked back and forward, then the click. “Alyeah, that's how it's done.” She was about to leave when she heard the weak cry of the Spearow. Aw man, I can't leave it here like that. She knelt down next to the Spearow with a pokeball.

“Hey, if you come with me I can get you help.” She touched the ball to the Pokemon and it entered. It had no strength to fight it and was caught. “Awesome two in one day. Now time to go back and show everyone.”

_________________________

Back at the camp Fluttershy was picking wild flowers when Zander and Twilight showed up.

“Hey, Shy whacha doin'?” Zander asked.

“Oh! I'm just... I thought it would be nice to have some flowers as a center piece for the table.”

“That sounds like a good idea, can we help?”

“Oh yes! Thank you!”

Little did they know a Pokemon was lurking in the grass. It slowly crept up to the three and made its move. It pounced on Fluttershy.

“Ahh!”

“Fluttershy what is it?” Twilight said in a panicked voice. They saw the monster as it smiled up at them, “Bunuary,” it said.

“Oh, thank goodness it's only a Bunuary. Fluttershy you can get up, it's mostly harmless.”

She opened her eyes and saw the foot tall monster. “O my gosh! It's so cute!” She sat up and hugged the Pokemon. “Hey, little guy would you like to come with us?” The Pokemon stood there for a moment pondering the offer. It responded with a nod.

“Great now go into the ball.” It slapped the ball away. “But why?”

“Shy I think it wants to battle first.” It nodded.

“But I don't...”

“You're going to have ta sooner or later you know.”

“Okay, I'll try.” She got up and sent out her Piplup. “Okay, um use Pound .” Piplup smacked it's opponent, who hit back. “Okay again.” The two exchanged blows. “Use Pound again! And again, and again!” Fluttershy was getting into it, a little too much.

“Fluttershy!”

“Yes?”

“I think you got it.”

She looked to see the Buneary unconscious on the ground. “Oh no! I'm so sorry.”

“If you catch it we can treat it.”

“Right.” She tried to throw the pokeball but it just fell out of her hand.

“Okay, let me help you Fluttershy.” Zander picked up the ball and put it in her hand and got behind her. “Like this.” He lead her through the motions, and they threw the ball together. Soon the Buneary was caught.

“There you go Fluttershy,” Zander said as he got the pokeball for her.

“Th-thank you,” she said with a small bit of redness in her cheeks.

“Now I think it's time for some lunch, what do say?”

The two girls nodded and they made there way back to camp. A short time later Rainbow came back.

“Just in time and judging by the look on your face you got a Pokemon.”

“Yep, two in fact.”

“I got one too.”

“Ooo, can we see them?” Pinkie asked.

The two girls opened their pokeballs to reveal the Pokemon they had. Zander was getting some medicine ready for Buneary, then he saw he would need more.

“Wow, Rainbow you did a number on them.”

“They were fighting each other when I found them. I was just going to catch the winner but I couldn't leave the other like that, so I caught them both.”

“Well here, feed them these.” Zander had a bag full of blue berries.

“What are they?”

“Oran berries, they can heal Pokemon. Berries can be used as a substitute for medicine. They're also a good snack on the road, I keep some dehydrated berries for that reason.”

After the Pokemon ate a few berries they were feeling better. At lunch the girls asked some more questions.

“Zander?”

“Yes, Twilight.”

“How many Pokemon are there, and how many do you have?”

“Nobody knows the exact number, but the current count is close to 500. As to how many I have...” Zander looked at his pokedex, “354.”

“Wow!”

“Yeah well, most I don't even use so it means very little.”

“Hey, Zander.”

“Yes, Rainbow?”

“How do we teach new moves to our Pokemon?”

“Well, a Pokemon will learn new moves as it grows. Some people can teach Pokemon moves they couldn't normally use. And then there are the technical machines or TMs and the hidden machines or HMs. I have a complete set of both.”

“What are they and how do they work?”

“They are discs that can be used to teach moves to Pokemon. Until recently TMs were only good once, but I got prototype ones from the President of Silph Co. himself that can be used multiple times.”

“So, what's the difference between the two?”

“HMs can be used out in the field. Rock Climb was one.”

“Can you...”

“No.”

“But...”

“No I'm not going to teach your Pokemon new moves. Not now anyway. When the time is right I will. Right now you need to progress naturally, it's the best way to learn.”

“'Scuse me.”

“Applejack?”

“Ah like to know what we're gonna do. Ah mean I get we're travelin' the country an all, but you know what are we doin' besides that?”

“You can do whatever you want, that's the beauty of going on a journey. It's also a bit like a self discovery journey as well. But if you want to do something fun and challenging then take the Pokemon League Challenge.”

“That's what I wanta do!”

Twilight looked to Rainbow then to Zander. “She wants to be the next champion.”

“Hey, if your going to dream, dream big.”

“That's what I said.”

“You know, it's funny, when I started out I didn't even want to be the champion. I did it because I thought it would help me complete the pokedex, before that became a fools errand, and protect the world from groups like Team Rocket.”

“If you don't mind me asking how did you beat them?”

“Well, Fluttershy, it's a long story. Maybe I'll tell you later. But for now all you need to know is Team Rocket wanted to take over the world and I stopped them, twice.”

The rest of the day consisted of the girls sparing with each other. At nightfall the girls turned in. The tent was a six person, but could squeeze in a seventh if needed. Twilight was staying up and watching the stars.

“Hey, what are you doing now?” Zander said to her.

“Oh, just looking at the constellations, most seem to be here. Then I was going to read a book the professor gave me.” She held up the book, Everything we Know About Pokemon vol.1 by Professor Oak. “Though I may get through half of it to night.”

“You're a real night Noctowl huh?”

“I guess?”

“Oh.” Zander showed her the Noctowl entry on his pokedex.

“Oh, now I get it.” She laughed, “it's an owl like my pet back home.”

Zander was worried she would get upset again, but she was fine, or hiding it well.

“So, your going to stay up all night?”

“Maybe.”

“Well, if you need me I'll be here.” Zander set out his sleeping bag.

“Your not going into the tent?”

“No the others are probably settled by now, I'll only disturb them.”

________________________

A few hours passed, and Twilight got ready for bed, until she heard a rustling in the the grass.

“Zander? Zander wake up!”

“Huh? What?”

“Something's out there.”

“It's probably a nocturnal Pokemon. It should leave us alone.”

“Should?”

Looks like I'm not getting any sleep until I check it out.

“If it will make you feel better, I'll check it out.”

Before he could get up a Hoothoot ran into the camp. It jumped around until it landed in Twilight's arms.

“Hi there, you lost little guy?”

“I don't think so Twilight. Look at it's wing, it was attacked.”

More rustling could be heard, then howling. The tent opened up and the others stepped out. “What in tarnation was that?”

“Well Applejack, judging by the sound I'd say Poochyena, and quiet a few of them.” Zander pulled out his pokedex to show them.

“Poochyena the bite Pokemon, At first site, Poochyena takes a bite of anything that moves. This Pokemon chases after prey until the victim becomes exhausted. However, it may turn tail if the prey strikes back.”

The Poochyena show themselves. Zander counted eight, but there could be more. He saw one that was larger than the others. “That one, he's probably the alpha. Take him down and the rest will follow.”

“I got him.”

“Applejack I insist you let me teach it a lesson for interrupting my beauty sleep.”

“Now Rarity, Applejack already called it, so let her take it on.”

“Oh, fine.”

The girls sent out there Pokemon. They each took one of the other Poochyena.

“I got the last two,” Zander said as he sent out his Pokemon. “Go! Pidgeot!” The Pokemon came out of the ball with an explosion of light and sparkles. Twilight looked it up in her pokedex.

“Pidgeot the bird Pokemon and the evolved form of Pidgeotto. This Pokemon has a dazzling plumage of beautifully glossy feathers. Many trainers are captivated by the striking beauty of the feathers on its head, compelling them to choose Pidgeot as their Pokemon.”

“It looks different in the pokedex.”

“Yea, I'll explain it later. Right now fight!”

Zander made quick work of his opponents, and looked to see if there were more. He also looked to see if the girls needed any help. They were holding their own quite well, even Fluttersly. His focus then turned on Applejack.

“Tackle!” Applejack's Bulbasaur and the Poochyena butted heads. Bulbasaur was sent back a bit, then it fired a seed at the Poochyena and it made contact.

It learned Leech Seed! Zander thought to himself.

Applejack confirmed it in her pokedex. “Alright, use Growl!” The Poochyena countered with Howl. She had Bulbasaur use Growl again and Poochyena used Howl again. This kept going on for awhile.

“You clever girl,” Zander said to himself.

Soon the Poochyena collapsed, Applejack threw a pokeball at it and caught it. The rest of the Poochyena fled.

“Good job everyone. Especially you Applejack, I saw what you did there and it was brilliant.”

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“She saw her Bulbasaur use Leech Seed, which drains a Pokemon's strength and gives it to your Pokemon. Then she got in to a 'shouting' match with the Poochyena letting the Leech Seed do its thing. It was clever to say the least. You may be a natural at this.”

“Ah don't know about that.”

“Come on AJ if Zander thinks you have a shot, you should take the league challenge with me. That way I know I'll have a good rival.”

“Well, maybe.”

“Think about it. In the mean time we should go back to bed,” Zander said.

“Wait Zander!” Twilight said she was still holding the Hoothoot.

“Yes?”

“Two things, one you said you would explain why your Pidgeot was different, and two can we treat this guy?”

“Sure.” He got out some berries. “You know, maybe you should bring it along with us.”

“You think so?”

“Why not?”

“What do you say?”

“Hoothoot,” it said in agreement.

“Now, as for my Pidgeot. My Pidgeon is what some would call a shiny. Shines are off color Pokemon other than that there's nothing special about them. They are also very rare, so much so that some people will do almost anything to get one. I was lucky to find mine back when I was going through Route 2.”

“Do you have any more?”

“Just one. But that’s enough for today, time for bed.” Zander let out a yawn.

______________________________

The next morning ever one was packing up camp. Zander decided it was best given what happened last night. Rarity pulled him aside, “Um, Zander?”

“Yes?”

“What do we do about the bathroom?”

“Oh, I completely forgot about that. Gather round everyone!” Zander shouted, much to Rarity's dismay.

“Rarity brought up an important thing that I forgot to mention. How to use the bathroom without a bathroom. Now for number 1, you can go out behind a tree or something like that. As for number 2, you'll need these.”

Zander took out a small shovel and toilet paper. “Go out to a spot you're comfortable with, dig a hole then squat, wipe, and bury.”

Rarity looked at Zander with shock, horror, and disgust. “You can't be serious!”

“Look, not every town will be a days walk, so you'll need to get used to it. When we get to Viridan I'll buy you each your own shovel. A word to the wise, don't hold it in you'll ruin a lot of good pairs of underwear that way. I should know, it happened to me a long time a go.”

“Well, I will hold it for now anyway.”

“Have it your way. Just don't come crying to me when you need new underwear.”

Zander put the shovel and toilet paper away. When he looked up from his bag he saw the girls had shocked looks on their faces, except Rainbow and Pinkie they looked like they were trying not to laugh. Zander turned around to see Rarity, and tried to hold his laughter off too.

“Why is everyone looking at me like that?”

“Rarity,” Twilight said, “don't look behind you!” Of course she did. Staring her in the face was a green angry looking face. “Ahhh!” She ran behind Zander, who was now laughing along with Rainbow and Pinkie.

“What is that? It looks like a giant bug.”

“It's a Spinarak, and it's average for a bug type.”

“That's average!”

“Well, maybe small. I'm not a bug expert.”

“I think it's kinda cute,” Pinkie said as she tried tickling it under it's chin.

“Pinkie don't antagonize the...” before Zander could finish the Spinarak dropped to the ground and shot a Poison Sting at Pinkie, who dodged it. Unfortunately, it kept going and hit Twilight in the shoulder.

“Well, that's not good,” she said before she fainted.

“Twilight!” Her friends called out.

“Relax Pokemon toxins aren't lethal,” Usually, “I'll administer an antidote while someone deals with that thing!”

“I'm on it!” Pinkie said, “No one hurts my friends!”

Woa, note to self stay on Pinkie's good side. Zander thought as he got out the antidote from his first aid kit and propped Twilight up. “Okay, Twilight drink this it will help.”

“Okay, Totodile use Scratch!” Totodile scratched the Spinarak hard KOing it in one hit. “Go! Pokeball!” The ball made contact and soon Spinarak was caught.

“You caught it! Why?” Rarity said shocked.

“Because everyone else was catching Pokemon, and I wanted one too.”

“That's great Pinkie, but I could use a little help here,” Zander said.

“What's wrong? Is the antidote not workin'?” Applejack asked.

“No that's not it. Turns out administering a liquid medicine to an unconscious person is a lot harder than you'd think.”

“Um... have you tried administering it through the lips?” Fluttershy asked.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Take the antidote in you mouth, and then transfer it to hers.”

“Would that even work?”

“I think so. I read it in a book that Twilight gave me one time.”

“Okay, so who wants to do it?”

The girls just stood there.

“Seriously, no one?”

“Um well,” Rainbow started, “It'd be like a kiss and Twilight is a close friend. It'd be weird.”

“Oh, and I'm so much better. We only met days ago!”

There was an awkward silence.

“You're not going to change your mind are you?”

“No, sorry.”

“Fine I guess we have no other options.” Zander took some of the antidote and pressed his lips to hers.

It's like mouth to mouth, it doesn't count.

A few minuets later Twilight came to.

“Hey, welcome back,” Zander said softy.

“How long was I out?”

“A few minuets, I gave you an antidote.”

“Yeah! With his *mth*.”

Applejack and Rarity covered Pinkie mouth before she could say anymore. Zander gave them a silent thank you as he helped Twilight up.

“Thank you, you saved me again.”

“It was nothing. Now we should get going before something else happens. Any objections?”

The girls shook their heads no.

“Alright then, onward to Viridian City!”