• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 3,469 Views, 160 Comments

The Mane Six's Pokemon Journey - Cheesecake404

  • ...
13
 160
 3,469

Chapter 6: The Third Day

The Third Day

Zander was in a less than cheery mood. The ferry had mechanical trouble delaying him for three hours. Then he had to wait another five at the DMV to renew his license. He would rent a car, he wasn't going to walk all the way back with twenty bags of stuff. And to top it all off there was a traffic jam.

Zander tried to vent his frustrations so he wouldn't blow up at someone who didn't deserve it. Once inside, he put the bags in the living room and started to wonder where everyone was. He heard voices coming from the lab. Aurora must still be teaching. Zander walked in and saw the girls sitting at a table, Aurora in her getup, and surprisingly another individual Zander hadn't seen in a long time, Silver.

“Why don't you use the technology for other things?” Twilight asked.

“Well,” Aurora was searching for an answer, until Silver cut in, “There's too much danger of abuse.”

“Ahem.” Zander made himself known.

“Hi Zander!” The girls chorused, Silver gave a smile and nod.

“Hello girls,” Zander said as he walked up to Silver extending his hand, “and hello to you too, it's been a long time.”

“Too long.”

“Took you long enough to get here.” Aurora said jokingly.

“Oh, don't get me started! But anyway I come baring gifts.” He motioned to the living room. The girls sat down as Zander went through the bags.

“So, among other things I got you clothes. Two identical outfits.”

“Why only two, and why identical?” Rarity asked.

“Because trainer clothes are expensive, and having two as you'll find out is better, and I'm also lazy.” Zander set the clothing boxes in front of the girls making sure they were the right outfits. The girls were excited to see their new clothes.

Rarity especially, “My I was worried at first but you have excellent taste.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said, “I'm not one for fashion but this matches me perfectly!” The rest of the girls shared similar sentiments.

“I'm glad you like them, you should try them on and make sure they fit.”

The girls then started to take their clothes off, only for Aurora to stop them. “Girls do you remember that talk we had about public indecency?”

“Oh, sorry.”

“It's okay Twilight. We'll just go upstairs and get you changed.”

“You'll need these too.” Zander got out the underwear.

“What's this thing?” Rainbow said as she held up the bra.

“Oh, well that's... Aurora?”

“That's a bra it helps keep your breast in place.”

“It looks uncomfortable.”

“It's not that bad.”

“Well, I think I'll pass.”

“Look Rainbow, I did not go through all the awkward stares and judgmental glares for you not to wear that! You will wear it! And. You. Will. Like. It!”

“Okay.” Rainbow said with a quiver in her voice.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to snap like that. It's just been one of those days.”

Aurora took them upstairs. Zander chased after her. “Aurora?”

“Yes?”

“If you haven't already you might want to teach them to how to bathe.”

“Right I'll get on that.”

Zander turned his attention to Silver. “Looks like we have some time to talk.”

“Yep.”

“Mind if we go outside? I feel like I need some fresh air.”

“Not at all.”

The two stood outside on the porch for a minutes before Zander spoke.

“So, how much has Aurora told you?”

“Everything.”

“And do you believe her?”

“She doesn't lie.”

“Alright, so is there anything the Pokemon Rangers, congratulations by the way, can do to help?”

“Thanks, and not really no. I'm still a cadet and get all the crap assignments. Even if they did believe me, I don't think they could be of much help.”

“O well, can't be helped. But moving on you and Aurora. Care to share?”

“Well, we met in Veradan about a year ago.”

“Yeah, Aurora told me.”

“Okay so, I was out on assignment to catch a local thug, when she showed up. I was pursuing the guy, when she unintentionally cut off his escape route, and I was able to arrest him. We started hanging out after that. Eventually our friendship became something more.”

“Good, I'm happy for you two.”

“Thanks. Now, what about you?”

“What about me?”

“Come on, you're going on a journey with six girls...”

“Six girls from an alternate universe that we'll be sending home. I admit they're pretty, but it wouldn't be a good idea, if we can't get them home, then sure. Also, we could look like monsters to them.”

“Okay, I see your point.”

The two shared some stories of what they been up to over the years, when Aurora came out. “So I fed the guy his own teeth. Oh, hi Aurora.” Aurora looked at Zander surprised at what he just said. “Um, the girls are ready to see what else you got them.”

“Of course, lets not keep them waiting.” Back inside the girls were sitting patiently in their new clothes. “I have to say you guys look much better now.”

“Hey.”

“There's nothing wrong with your outfit Aurora, they just look good in their own clothes. Speaking of which,” Zander got out more boxes, “I also got you pajamas.”

“What are they for?” Rainbow asked cautiously.

“For sleeping in. Now on to the good stuff.” He pulled out the bags and items. “Here we have your bags, everything you have will be carried in them. And here is Pokemon medicine it goes without saying but it's used to heal your Pokemon. Just don't use it on yourself, it won't end well. Not that it should be an issue, seeing as I had the foresight to get you all a first aid kit.

“Now the pokegear, pokegears are...”

“I already taught them how to use pokegears and things like that.”

“Okay, then I did register my number in all your pokegears as well as each others. You also have ten pokeballs and one premierball which is just a fancy pokeball, but you get it for free so you can't complain. Finally, a sewing kit for Rarity, and these.” Zander showed them the patches he'd had made.

“Think you can sew them on you outfits?”

The girls were speechless. Until Aurora spoke up, “Where did you find those?”

“A man on the ferry made them. I thought they would be a nice touch.”

Rarity regained her composure, “Yes, they're perfect! Thank you so much! Now where should I put them?”

“How about here on the jackets?” Zander put his hand over his heart.

“Excellent idea!”

“Also if it's not too much trouble, could you sew this one on mine?” He showed her the pokeball patch.

“Of course not, it's the least I can do!”

“Well, it's late we should turn in for the night.” Once the girls were in their room, Zander caught up with Aurora on the girls' studies. “Those are some pretty bare basics.”

“We only have so much time, and tomorrow is the last day. You know?”

“I know, you better make it count.”

“What, you're not going to teach them now?”

“Would if I could, but I have to return the car tomorrow. At least I won't have to walk back.”

“And you have me.”

“And you have Silver.”

“Yeah, okay.”

“Good, see you tomorrow.”

_________________________

“That was awfully nice of Zander to do all that for us.” Rarity said as the girls settled in for the night.

“See I told you he was nice.” Fluttersly said.

“Yeah! Now we're one step closer to gettin' outa here. This whole waiting around thing is really cramping my style.”

“I know what you mean Rainbow,” Twilight said.

“You do?”

“Yes, I can't wait to do some field research.”

“Leave it to an egghead.”

“Hey.”

“Come on you two it's gettin' late.” Applejack snapped.

“Who can sleep when we'll so close to starting our journey!” Rainbow was out in ten seconds flat after her head hit the pillow.

______________________

Zander left a note telling everyone where he was. The girls were disappointed that Zander wouldn't be the one teaching them, or telling them any secrets he learned over the years.

“Time for today's lesson status conditions. The other day, I talked about status moves. Some status moves can causes things like paralysis, poison, burn, sleep, frozen, or confusion. There are also semistatus conditions like leech seed or curse, but they can be fixed by switching out your Pokemon.

“Now, sleep and freeze stop your Pokemon from attacking, confusion, your Pokemon may hurt itself, poison and burn will hurt your Pokemon over time, and paralysis will lower speed and/or prevent you from moving.”

“How do we fix that?” Twilight asked.

“There are some moves that can end status conditions, or you can use medicine. Now, the last thing I can think of to tell you is abilities. All Pokemon have abilities you need to be aware of. The starters all have basically the same ability Overgrow, Blaze, and Torrent. These abilities increase their type moves by 50% when they have taken a lot of damage. There are many more, too many to cover in the short time we have.”

“Wow, I didn't know being a trainer was so complicated.” Rainbow said.

“Don't worry like Zander said 'you learn as you go'. He once told me he learned more in a week than the year he spent studying Pokemon.”

“So, when do we get our Pokemon?”

“When the other professors get here. In the mean time enjoy the rest of the day.”

The girls went to the living room. This time Fluttersly picked the movie for them to watch, My Little Ponyta Princess Promenade. A while later there was a knock at the door.

“I'll get it.” Silver said. Probably Zander. He opened the door to see Professor Elm. Or not.

“Hello Silver how's Feraligatr doing?”

“Er, fine.”

“That's good, may we come in?”

“We?”

“Yes, the other professors are here too.”

“Elm you and the others are early.” Professor Oak said surprised.

“I hope it's not an inconvenience.”

“No, of course not, come in. We'll get things setup while we wait for Zander.”

“Why?”

“He wanted to be here to help the girls pick the right Pokemon.”

Soon after they got setup, the professors heard what sounded like a large bird hitting a window. The professors ran outside to see what happened.

“Pig-ot,” a Pigeot said weakly.

“Well, that's what happens when you don't listen.” Zander said getting up after being thrown off his Pigeot.

“Zander are you okay?”

“I'm fine professor Elm. Wait, weren’t you and the others coming tomorrow?”

“We got here early.”

“Alright then, lets get those girls some Pokemon!”

A few minutes later the girls were called into the lab. There they saw three new men and a table with twelve pokeballs.

“Girls allow me to introduce professors Elm, Birch, and Rowan. And these,” professor Oak said as he pointed to the men and pokeballs. “Now in these pokrballs are your new partners. Choose wisely.”

“Aurora told you your choices right? Have you guys thought about which ones you want?” Zander asked.

“Yes,” Twilight said, “I want the one you started with.”

Zander had the biggest smile ever as he remembered when he first started out. “That would be Squirtle the tiny turtle Pokemon. It's a good choice for trainers who want something not difficult to raise.”

Twilight walked over and picked up the pokeball.

“Next.”

“Well, I've seen what the Pokemon grow into, and only one remained beautiful.”

“Wait Rarity let me guess you want the leaf Pokemon Chikerita.”

“Yes.”

“Good. Grass types are generally easy to raise. Who's next?”

“Me!” Rainbow said trying to hide her impatience. “I want one that's awesome and cool, also strong.”

“Well, if you want a challenge too, then look no further than the fire type Charmander. It will be difficult to raise, but it's worth the effort.”

“Totodile!” Pinkie shouted.

“Okay then. Applejack, Fluttersly what do you want?”

“You can go first Applejack.”

“Alright, Ah want the one with the bulb on it's back.”

“You mean Bulbasur?”

“Yeah that's the one.”

“Fluttersly?”

“The cute blue one.”

“You're going to have to be a little more specific. There's two of them.”

“The one that turns in to the one that saved me.”

“Oh, you mean Piplup. You two will work well together.”

After they got their Pokemon, professor Oak handed out their pokedexs and trainer cards.

“Alright!” Rainbow declared as she pointed at Zander, “I challenge you to a battle!”

Zander stood there and looked at her like she was crazy. “Seriously?” Is all he could say.

____________________________

Everyone stood outside around a makeshift battle field. Silver was acting as referee.

I can't believe I'm actually going to do this. It's like taking a bulldozer to crack a walnut, Zander thought as he looked at his opponent, She doesn't lack for spirit I'll give her that. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yeah, I wanna see how I stack up.”

“You have five perfectly good friends you can challenge.”

“But they're not champions.”

“*sigh* Have it your way.” I hope she's isn't a sore loser, “The least I can do is give you type advantage.” Zander threw out one of his pokeballs, “Come out Victreebel!” Out came the Pokemon ready to fight.

Twilight pulled out her pokedex to learn about the Pokemon. “Victreebel the flycatcher Pokmon and the evolved form of weepinbell. The long vine extending from its head is waved about as if it were a living thing to attract prey. When an unsuspecting victim approaches, it is swallowed whole.” “Well, that sounds unpleasant. Careful Rainbow!”

“Ha! That the best you got? Go! Charmander!” Now Aurora said we can check our Pokemon's moves with our pokedex so... Rainbow scanned her Pokemon, Scratch and Growl that's all! O well.

“Victreebel come here for a moment.” Victreebel moved to it's trainer. “Okay, this is the greenest rookie we will ever face,” Zander said in a whisper, “So, I want you to hold back as much as possible. Okay? We'll still win, but take it easy. Alright?” Victreebel nodded.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

“Discussing our strategy.”

The two Pokemon took their positions and Silver started, “This will be a one on one battle. The battle will end once one Pokemon will be unable to continue. Ready? Go!”

“Charmander Scratch attack!” Charmander ran up and scratched Victreebel who seemed unphased.

“Sunny Day.” Victreebel shot a beam of light into the sky and the sun became harsher.

“Use another Scratch attack!”

“Dodge it.” Victreebel was gone in the blink of an eye.

“Wha-”

“Cut.” Victreebel's vine slashed Charmander from behind sending it ten feet.

“How is it so fast?”

“Victreebel's ability: Chlorophyll, it raises its speed in sunny weather.”

“Okay then, try Growl!” Charmander let out a terrifying growl, but it seemed to have no effect.

“Let's rap this up, Sleep Powder.” Victreebel released a cloud of blue powder that made contact with Charmander, putting it to sleep.

“What? No! Get up, come on get up!”

“Charmander is unable to battle the winner is Zander!”

“No! Charmander can still fight. He just has to get up!”

“Okay, let me show you what Victreebel can do. Solar Beam.”

The leaf on Victreebel's head started to glow. Seconds later a beam of light fired out at Charmander. The beam had missed completely, but Zander had proved his point. He was way out of Rainbow's league.

“You could have done that anytime you wanted to, couldn't you?”

“Yep.”

Rainbow collapsed, blown away by the power Zander had demonstrated. She realized he was holding back and it terrified her. The rest of the girls were at a loss for words, they didn't know what to say or do.

“I guess,” Rainbow started, “you're champion for a reason.” She got up, called back her Pokemon, and shook Zander's hand. He had earned her respect.

The group went back inside. At dinner Applejack asked Rainbow what a battle was like. “It was awesome! It was exciting, terrifying, and with more emotions then I can count! It was like flying for the first time!” Zander smiled. She was like him when he started out.

“You seam to be taking the loss well.” Applejack said.

“Yeah, well I figured I wouldn't win, but I had to try. I knew I was in trouble when he landed the first hit, but I wasn't gonna give up. After all, Aurora said a Pokemon can wake up, so I was hoping it would. But I knew it was over when he used that super move. I realized he was holding back. Heck he wasn't even trying.”

“Yes I was.”

“Not as hard as you could have.”

“Yeah, okay you're right.”

“Now I see I have a long way to go.”

“That's good Rainbow,” Zander said, “you learn more from defeat than victory.”

“Like you'd know.”

“Hey, I'm not undefeated. I've had my share of losses too. It comes with the life style. But I can guarantee future battles will be a lot easier.”

After dinner Zander took the girls out to the living room. There he told them what they would do next. “So, tomorrow we'll wake up early and go to Route 1. There we'll spend a few days getting you used to camping, and living on the road. Maybe catch some Pokemon. Then we'll go to Viridian City. Any question?”

“Yes,” Rarity said, “How long would it take to get to the city normally?”

“About a day. Any one else?”

“Can I ask a question?”

“You just did Pinkie, but sure ask another.”

“What are we going to do in Viridian City?”

O my god! A legitimate question from Pinkie!

“Once we get there, I'll show you the Pokemon center, they're an important part of being a trainer. Then I'll show you the pokemart, where you can buy supplies, and then we can see the sights, though there's not much to see.”

“I have a question.” Rainbow said raising her hand. “But it's not about the travel plans.”

“That's okay let me hear it.”

“I want to know more about battling, like how you were so calm and more about that move you used.”

“Well, the reason I was so calm was because I knew I would win. As for the move, it was called Solar Beam, one of the most powerful grass type moves.”

“One of them?”

“Yes, the move Leaf Storm is stronger, but the more you use it the weaker it gets. Frenzy Plant is the ultimate grass move but it can only used by fully evolved starters. Also, the Pokemon uses so much energy it can't move until it recharges. Solar Beam has a drawback too, normally it needs time to charge, but Sunny Day cut that time dramatically.”

“I have a question.”

“Yes, Twilight?”

“Our Pokemon have two moves but yours had four. So how many moves can a Pokemon know?”

“As many as you want. Most trainers limit themselves to four, but I use eight. Any more and it can be difficult to remember them all.”

“So, we can use any move they know?”

“No, if you don't use an attack for a while the Pokemon might forget it. They can still use it, but you'll need to help them remember it.”

“One more thing. Do we have ta wait til tomorrow?”

“Considering the sun is setting? Yes, Rainbow we do. Now you might want to bathe one more time before we go. It will be a while before you can again.”

Rarity ran up the stairs like her hair was on fire. Applejack brought everyone’s attention back to the conversation. “What's Aurora and Silver gonna do?”

“Aurora will most likely help out the professors how ever she can. Silver will probably go back to the Pokemon Rangers.”

“The who?”

“Another time Rainbow. For now, enjoy the rest of the evening. We have quite the trip tomorrow.”