• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 10,899 Views, 199 Comments

New beginnings - Elementum77



First person, Human in Equestria. not-brony, not self-insert, ongoing, wonderbolts, parallel to show

  • ...
25
 199
 10,899

2-5: Lazy designers are everywhere!

A little while later, and Soarin and I were sitting down outside a small building. From the set up and what I could see, it was a restaurant of some sorts. Like most of the buildings here it didn’t exactly have much in the way of decoration. The walls were made of cloud, the windows were empty for some reason, and the interior looked fairly bland.

Soarin waved his hoof in front of my face, bringing me back on my mental critique of this bland building. I turned to him with a confused stare, after the conversation we just had I wasn’t sure if I was going to get much in the way of chitchat, but obviously he had something on his mind.

“So then about those wings” he spoke with a little too much joy in that, from the smirk he had, I was a little unsettled at the least, though glad he recovered so quickly and was at least willing to joke with me.

“What about them?” I asked, my lips forming a small smile. What I hoped is that he’d suggest we go somewhere and maybe teach me how to use these things, after all, being able to fly would be a little more than just handy, but down right awesome!

“Didn’t you ever get curious? I mean I'll admit as a foal I was a little adventurous despite being told to wait and learn about my wings. I remember once I climbed to the top of a tree near Fillydeplhia and jumped, hoping somehow in that moment, flying would just come to me, and as you can expect the only thing that came was the ground, followed by a bruised hoof and the realization that I had only jumped from a few meters high.” He chuckled lightly, from the look in his eyes, half way through his little speech there, he had begun recollecting his past more than actually pressing for an answer.

The time had come once more, where I'm on the spot, and my oh so glorious farm days had to be elaborated on more. I guess I could say I did the same thing, from a hay bale? I think from the top of a barn might be a little too extrem- actually, that might just work. “Oddly enough, I did something similar, though not a tree. See I thought deep down that flying would be easy, and the only reason why I couldn't do it was because it’s hard to do off the ground, not many pegasi around where I lived. Sooooo I went from the barn roof, managed to climb my way up there from the second floor, there was an old hole in the roof that I used to go through to sit and hide from my parents.” I'm getting pretty good at this lying thing, I'm not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but right now I would rather not question it. “So anyways, one evening I climbed up, went to the edge, and jumped, spreading my little wings, I had it all planned out, I would open my wings, and I'd start flying. No... I went straight down, if it weren't for a stack of hay I might not be sitting here, but regardless of what they say, hay isn’t as soft as it’s cut out to be... I fractured a few rubs, and broke my left ha- hoof” that was close, that’s what I get for questioning it “that...that kind of put me off flying for a while honestly...”

Soarin seemed shocked, well if his mouth hanging open was any hint that is. “Ouch! I understand why you’re not flying, if that happened to me I’d probably be in the same position, I mean I was put off for a few days but what happened to me was minor compared to you!” First time I’ve seen him really get into a conversation since we got walking, and to think it’s on the back of a lie I just made up on the spot.

“Yea...” I wasn’t really sure what else to add at that point, a little too surprised my lie actually paid off.

Soarin sat there for a few minutes, asking me more about my recovery after the accident. Luckily that lie wasn’t too far from the truth, kinda. When I was young I had an accident regarding one bike, some steps and metal railing. Suffice to say the injuries I claimed to have had, I did actually have. So all I had to do was convert my recovery from back then into a farm setting, remember my wording and all should go fine.

Near the end, Soarin spoke up “Your mother’s name is Rachel? That’s a peculiar name” Crap, of course that’s a weird name, they have peop- ponies here called Spitfire, Soarin, heck my name’s Lucit, of course ‘Rachel’ probably sounds odd.

“I never actually asked about that” a hoof to my chin “I guess so, I’ve not thought about it honestly” Seriously, when did i get this good at lying?

Soarin agreed, luckily he seemed to understand where I was coming from, almost tempting to ask if he’s had a similar experience but with my luck that will probably end up with me having to comment on something that’s actually probably normal for me. More lies, best avoid them before I really do make using them a habit.

After a few moments I finally suggested the idea of grabbing some food, Soarin seemed all to eager to comply with this and stood up. "So what are you having" the question a simple one, a question that no one should ever really have trouble answering. Unless of course they’re from a different world, with a different diet and no idea what would be deemed normal to order from a restaurant.

"I'll have what you're having, you seem like you’re healthy so I guess that says something about your diet right?" Phew, think that should be passable. After a nod, Soarin walks into the bland building, seriously compared to some of the others, I am a little surprised at just how bland this place is. Thinking back to home though, "minimalistic" popped into my mind, maybe they have that crazy trend here too? A designer’s method of not actually doing much design with the reason lack-of-design is the intention. Maybe there are similarities after all, lazy designers! "heh..."


Author's Note:

A small, much smaller chapter just to get back into the feeling of things.

Gdoc Link
Currently set to comment. Suggestions/Mistakes will be fixed as soon as possible.

With thanks to: Goebells Octagonapus