• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 858 Views, 98 Comments

Short stories about ponies and whatnot - shutaro



Assorted short fics for given prompts

  • ...
4
 98
 858

PreviousChapters Next
Companion Crisis

Pinkie was at her wits end. She had always been able to solve any problems with Gummy on her own, but this time … She just didn’t know any more and knocked on Fluttershy’s door. She heard the clip-clop of hooves approaching from inside and knocked even faster.

“Oh please, don’t be another giant Everfree Woodpecker. I still haven’t repaired all the holes —” Pinkie picked up the low murmur behind the door and stopped her knocking. Not so much because she felt bad about it, but because the door was opening a crack now. An eye was peeking out from it, fearful of the world outside in general and giant Everfree Woodpeckers in particular.

“Oh! Hello, Pinkie Pie,” Fluttershy pulled the door wide. She spotted the little alligator on Pinkie’s back. “Oh dear, what’s with Gummy?”

Pinkie carefully picked her pet up and placed him in Fluttershy’s waiting wings. “I don’t know, Flutters. Ever since I returned from Twilight’s coronation he’s been like this. You know, normally I can’t shut him up, the old chatterbox, but now? Not a peep! He won’t even join me in step dancing.” Her voice turned into a wail that even Rarity would have approved of. “I just don’t know what to do anymore!”

Walking back into her home, Fluttershy carried Gummy to a cushion and placed him down. She patted him on the back. “We’ll get you back on your claws, little one. Just you wait.”

Gummy blinked his right eye at her. Then he blinked his left eye. But he still lay on the cushion like a limp noodle.

Fluttershy made a short flight to her kitchen door and stuck her head inside. “Angel Bunny, would you keep an eye on Gummy, please? I have to talk to Pinkie Pie for a minute. Thank you so much.”

Fluttershy went back to Pinkie’s side and led her outside. “Now Pinkie, what exactly have you been feeding him? And who fed him while we were in Canterlot?”

Pinkie Pie took a deep breath. “Do you think that Mrs. Cake didn’t give him enough chocolate frosting on his cakes?”

The door closed behind the two ponies. Angle stuck his head into the living room and waved at two birds to stand guard by the door. He walked over to Gummy’s cushion and gave the reptile’s tail a kick. “Get over it you lazy bum!”

“Twenty five years!” the alligator hissed. “I trained for this for twenty five years!”

Angel took a carrot and bit off the green with a practiced movement. He stuck it into a corner of the his mouth and started sucking on it. He was about to offer one up, but a look from the cold reptilian eyes reminded him of the strikt sugar-only diet Gummy had to keep. “Sorry, Fluttershy gave our last lollipops to the mice yesterday.”

“I’ll survive it,” Gummy pressed out. His gaze wandered to the window. “Did you — did you ever think of leaving? Leaving it all behind? The mission, the responsibilities, everything? It would be so easy. Find a river, take one last breath, swim and dive until you’re back in the wilderness?”

“Leave Fluttershy? Pah, she wouldn’t find her own tail with a map if I wasn’t here keeping this dump shipshape. Naw, I never thought of that.” Angle shifted the carrot from the left to the right side. “Also, I’m not so good at swimming and diving.”

Gummy looked at the rabbit with both eyes and for just a moment Angel saw the terrifying intellect of a master tactician behind them. For just a second Angel was back in the academy and listened to his teachers never to trust another companion unless they were on the same team. Except, they were on the same team: Team not-yet.

“You know, the stupid owl doesn’t even have proper training,” Gummy said in his hissing voice. ”That bird just dropped in there, took the jackpot and doesn’t even know it.” Something like a sigh escaped him. “It makes me wish I could slap myself in the face.” He wiggled his claws.

“Yeah, lucky bas ... bird,” Angle remembered the rule about tone just in time and caught himself. “But it could have been worse, you know. Just imagine how annoying the cat would have been if her girl had made it.”

A sardonic grin played around Gummy’s face. It took it’s time; Gummy’s face was quite big after all. “Yeah, that would have been worse. But can you imagine how Winona must feel right now? Her girl is the spitting image of the original, but she still got beat by that bookworm. That’s gotta bite.” Gummy mulled that thought over in his head. “You know, I think I’ll stick around a bit longer. Even if it’s just to see those two suffer.” He laughed a hissing alligator laugh. “And who knows, maybe next time it will be Pinkie?”

Angel bit through his carrot. “In your dreams, scaly. Fluttershy is next.”

The two stared at each other until a voice could be heard from outside.

“Fluttershy, darling! You have to take a look at Opalescence, the poor dear is so listless since lately.”

Angel and Gummy exchanged a snort. Now this would be fun!

Author's Note:

I hope they never do that. Watching a transformation sequence with ponies would destroy me.


The Prompt: Reimagine My Little Pony as a Magical Girl series.

PreviousChapters Next