• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 859 Views, 98 Comments

Short stories about ponies and whatnot - shutaro



Assorted short fics for given prompts

  • ...
4
 98
 859

PreviousChapters Next
I am Princess Celestia

It was the night after Princess Twilight's coronation, long after the festivities had ended the six friends from Ponyville sat in one of the palace’s many suites. What had started out as a last glass of wine before bed, had turned into a full blown pyjama party. Stars knew how Pinkie Pie had found the route to the palace main costume vault, but not five minutes after she had left with Rarity every pony had been given a nightgown, -shirt or -chemise.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna approached the room, drawn by the laughter of the six ponies. Both nodded to the guards that stood outside the door and knocked. No reaction, only more and louder laughter. Rainbow Dash’s guffaws probably kept half of Canterlot awake. The sister looked at each other.

“She’ll have to get used to your snooping eventually,” Luna smirked, which got her a poke from Celestia. Then the princess of the sun knocked again and opened the door.

“I’m the only one? I don’t believe it! I always thought that every filly in Equestria had that idea at least once in her life.” Twilight placed her empty tumbler back on the table. “Seriously girls? Never?”

“Good even--,” was all Luna managed to say before a pink whirlwind started around the two alicorns. A second later Pinkie Pie had placed the royal insignias on a nearby table and both princesses wore their nightgowns.

Celestia covered her eyes with a hoof. “Pinkie Pie, if I asked you how you managed to get this from my private quarters, would you give me a truthful answer?”

“I'd never lie to you,” Pinkie looked insulted. “But I’d appreciate if you didn’t ask.”

Luna had already taken a seat among the obviously buzzed ponies. “This sounds like fun. What are you playing?”

“Truth or dare,” Rainbow Dash answered. ”The last thing was a truth by Twilight.”

Celestia lay down among her little ponies. “Oh, and was the question? What was it that only Twilight did?” she asked with a curious twinkle in her eye.

Everypony was suddenly immensely interested in the ceiling fresco. Celestia looked to Luna, and both sisters shrugged. As nopony came forth Celestia fell back on a time-tried method. “Twilight Sparkle, my little pony, you know you can tell me everything.”

The newly crowned princess wilted under the habits of her youth. Her voice was barely a whisper. “I asked Rarity if she ever thought you might be her mother.”

Celestia’s eyes wandered from Twilight to Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and finally to Fluttershy. Her gaze was stern; her face showed no emotion at all. “Did you just hear that, sister? Our ponies don’t love me anymore. Maybe it’s time I made them appreciate me a bit more.”

Luna instantly picked up on her sister. “Don’t do it, sister. I’m sure they love you all the same!”

“Words, words, words!” Celestia roared. “I’m so fed up with this!” A hot wind whipped through the room. Twilight and her friends stared with their eyes wide open as the nightie burned away in a mane that had turned into a raging inferno. Celestia's eyes were a blazing white and radiated an intense heat as she looked down at the terror-stricken ponies - and winked.

In the blink of an eye the room was as before, Celestia’s mane wafted in an aethereal wind again, even her nightie was restored. And both princesses burst out laughing. Finally understanding that they had been had the other ponies joined in, even Fluttershy. After long minutes of guffaws they calmed down enough for Celestia to apologize. “I’m sorry, my friends, are you really so afraid of me? Please, don’t be! I love every pony in Equestria with all my heart, and I can understand every colt or filly who dreams of becoming a prince or princess. But I won’t think any less of you if you didn’t. Especially you six.”

Applejack looked down at her hooves. “You are right, of course. But I never doubted my family and I never wanted to be anything but an Apple.”

Pinkie Pie nodded. “Yes, exactly! Life on our rock farm wasn’t much fun, but my parents are my parents and I would never ever think they weren’t.”

Rarity could only agree, “Even when my mother made me wear those horrible polka dot skirts, I never doubted her or my father for one moment.”

“My family always supported me, even when I couldn’t fulfill their expectations and went a path they had not expected for me,” Fluttershy’s voice was even smaller than usual. "I love them even more."

“Well,” Rainbow Dash started, but trailed off. She squirmed in her place until she finally confessed. “There was that one afternoon in flight-camp: I wondered how cool it would be if I was Lightning Strike’s daughter. But I didn’t fantasize about you, Princess, sorry.”

Celestia smiled, “Oh, I don’t mind! Lightning Strike was a great flyer, I completely understand that you would wish to be related to him.”

Luna chimed in with a smirk on her muzzle. “Don’t let her figure fool you, Rainbow Dash. I’m sure even you couldn’t surpass her if there was a slice of chocolate cake at the finish line.”

What had just been a rather friendly moment turned into an epic, but brutal pillow fight.

---

Celestia and Luna finally left, they had a kingdom to care for after all. As Celestia was about to say good night, Luna did not stop and walked ahead. She waited in front of her sisters chambers and followed her inside. Celestia sat down on her bed and looked out at the sky over Canterlot. “So you noticed?” the elder sister enquired.

“On the night I returned. You may fool every other pony, but I am your sister. I take it her parents don’t know either?”

“No. Even the pony who gave her to them didn’t know. Just a foal who needed loving parents.”

“It pains me to see you like this, Celestia. Please tell me that you didn’t do this to hide her from the Nightmare.”

Celestia turned and looked Luna in the eye. “Do not burden yourself with my decision. We both tried that family thing a long time ago. We both know, I am a princess, not a mother.”

Author's Note:

Yeah, I know. The old "Celestia is X's mother"-routine. And I don't even tell you which of the mane 6 it is. :trollestia:


The prompt: A princess and a mother.

PreviousChapters Next