• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 859 Views, 98 Comments

Short stories about ponies and whatnot - shutaro



Assorted short fics for given prompts

  • ...
4
 98
 859

PreviousChapters Next
A pretaste to parenting

Spike opened the door to Sugarcube Corner and stopped in his tracks. Cup Cake was usually a quite calm and collected pony while her husband was a bit more skittish. Seeing both so frantic was not a good sign. Spike inched his way to one of the empty tables where Pinkie Pie was watching the bustle.

“Hello, Spike,” the pink mare greeted him. “Let me guess: Twilight send you to remind me of our date tonight. You told her to have a little more faith, but she insisted.”

“Correct! You really know her better than she knows you, Pinkie Pie,” Spike shrugged. “I also wanted to buy one of your 'surprise cupcake collection'-boxes, but I’d rather not disturb the Cakes, whatever they are doing.”

“It’s a cake emergency in Canterlot. The castle’s kitchen has called on all bakers within a hundred miles,” Pinkie explained. “I’ll bring you a case of cupcakes when I come over later. Oh, please tell Twilight I’ll bring the twins. I got an emergency call for foalsitting.”

Spike looked uncertain, “Is that a good idea? You could try to reschedule the date.”

Pinkie only shook her head. “Reschedule a date with Twilight Sparkle? Spike, you know what a nightmare she is with scheduling.”

Spike nodded sagely. “Okay, I’ll tell her. See you later tonight, Pinkie.” The dragon hopped down the chair and waved as he made his way to the exit.

---

Pinkie Pie was as punctual as only Pinkie Pie can be. She walked up to the library’s door and didn’t even have to stop as it swung open in Twilight Sparkle’s magic.

She put Pound and Pumpkin down from their carrycot. “I’m so sorry about this, Twilight. But the Cakes really need to go to Canterlot. They can’t leave the castle’s staff hanging, baker’s honor and all that.”

Twilight waved her hoof, “No problem, Pinkie, I’m sure we can handle this. I mean, how often did we just run off on an important mission for the Princess? And you told Spike, so it’s not like this is a complete surprise.” A light sigh escaped her though. “I did have something else planned for tonight, but you know: 'When life gives you lemons …'”

“Make lemon jam. Or lemon muffins. Oh, I know: lemon cupcakes!” As she saw Twilight shake her head Pinkie pouted, “Hey, I know more then one hundred and five recipes with lemons. Don’t give me that look.”

“But the saying asks for lemonade, Pinkie.”

“Oh Twilight. Why would you restrict yourself to sour juice when you can make a tasty pastry? Oh, now I remember: I have a box for Spike!” She stuck a hoof into her mane and rummaged around in there. When it returned she held a small box and placed it on a nearby table.

“Baked goods in you mane? Pinkie, is that why you always smell so good?” Twilight leaned into her lover and looked at her with half-lidded eyes.

“Maybe, but I’ll have you know that I switched my shampoo from 'sugar sweet' to 'ink and paper' just for you.” Pinkie puckered her lips and closed her eyes.

“Pinkamina Diane Pie, you’re a vixen.” Twilight was just a breath away from the kiss when a cold shiver ran down her back. She took a step back and looked around. “Something’s not right. I can feel it in … Ahhhh! SPIKE!”

The little dragon stormed into the library from the bath only wearing a towel. “What is it?” His eyes went big. “Twilight! You will put the babies down! Now!”

Pumpkin and Pound slowly turned in a wide circle under the ceiling in Twilight’s magic as the librarian inspected the damage. “But this is a book I have on loan from the Princess, Spike! They doodled in it! Look! With crayons!”

Spike looked at Pinkie Pie who nodded, and snipped a claw at Twilight’s horn. The levitation broke, and Pinkie jumped to catch the twins in her mane. The babies giggled and grinned at Twilight like only a pair of mischievous children can.

“I told you that Pinkie would bring the twins over. It didn’t occur to you to store the important books in the back?” Spike had his claw over his face. “I’ll be in the shower again if you need me. I have an appointment, and I intend to keep it.”

Five minutes later Pinkie Pie looked around the library’s empty shelves. “Let me guess: All books are important.”

Twilight Sparkle just nodded. A few minutes later Spike came out of the bath, his scales shining in the light.

“Ohh, looking good, Spike! You’re off to Rarity’s?” Pinkie tried to tease him.

But Spike looked at her with a wrinkled forehead. “I wouldn’t even dream of going on a date with Rarity like this.” He grabbed the box of snacks from the table where Pinkie had placed it. ”No, I’m just hanging out with the guys.”

As the door closed behind him, Pinkie Pie looked a Twilight. “Hanging with the guys?”

“Probably just that little thing with Big Mac and the other stallions,” Twilight replied.

“Ahh! You mean their secret society,” Pinkie sniggered.

Twilight smiled. “Now, what do we do with this evening? I don’t have that much experience as a foalsitter. Only as the foalsittee. Foalsitten?”

“Actually it’s just ‘foal’, Twilight.” Pinkie Pie replied. “And my experience says that we should play with them for another half hour, then we’ll feed them, then it’s time for a bath and then for bed.”

“Sounds like a plan.” And having a plan calmed Twilight Sparkle down.

Except that the twins had seen who had spirited away their coloring-books, and Twilight soon noticed that they could hold a grudge. Whenever she tried to touch either foal they scowled and even started to cry. So Pinkie had to do most of the playing. When it came to feeding, Pinkie produced a collection of bottles and glasses from the unfathomable depths of her mane and soon after Twilight’s coat was covered in an amusing assortment of porridge and other baby foods.

At least the twins had settled down enough that Twilight could take her bath with them. Until Pumpkin decided that now would be the perfect moment to save on the cost for diapers. Twilight couldn’t decide what to do first. Scrub the tub or take another bath.

Pinkie had already tucked them in as Twilight finally returned from the bathroom.

“Feeling better?” Pinkie asked.

Twilight shuddered. “I haven’t scrubbed my coat that much since your honey experiment.”

Pinkie giggled. “I thought it was a good idea at the moment, and you tasted so sweet.”

“There is a beehive hanging in this tree, Pinkie. I didn’t think that was much fun,” Twilight said. She looked at the sleeping foals. “Do we have to look out for them all night or can we go to bed?”

“Well, the Cakes go to sleep, but they had some alarm magic installed so they can be there if something happens.”

A shimmering dome appeared over the twins and Twilight grinned. “Now we will know when they wake up.”

---

The next morning saw Twilight with deep rings under the eyes. “Pinkie Pie, what do the Cakes pay you for sitting those two?”

“Oh, I don’t get paid, Twilight. But they promised to be available as sitters when we might need them someday.”

The sound of Twilight’s head hitting the breakfast table woke up the twins. Again.

Author's Note:

I didn't have an idea what to write until the very last moment, then 30 minutes of really hectic typing.
I hope the version I send to TMP is readable enough. :applejackconfused:


The Prompt: Pinkie has to watch the Cake twins again, but this time it’s Pinkie’s special somepony that bears the brunt of the twins’ wrath.

PreviousChapters Next