• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 859 Views, 98 Comments

Short stories about ponies and whatnot - shutaro



Assorted short fics for given prompts

  • ...
4
 98
 859

PreviousChapters Next
Priorities in a kiss

Rarity could not believe it. For the prime matchmaker in Ponyville to be stumped over two ponies kissing, that meant a lot. The white unicorn sat alone at the central table in Twilight Sparkle’s library and fumbled with her empty teacup. “I should have seen it. Pinkie Pie and Derpy Hooves. How have I missed that!? Pinkie and the one pony who loves baked goods more than anything. Derpy and the one pony who would move mountains to get a smile. They are perfect for each other!” A cushion floated over and caught Rarity’s head before her face could hit the table. Her voice became muffled. “And they showed it so openly! A muffin and a kiss shared over the counter of Sugar Cube Corner. I hadn’t expected Pinkie to be so romantic.”

Twilight Sparkle opened the kitchen door, the teapot followed in her magical hold as she walked into the library’s main room and sat beside her friend. “I take it you are as shocked about this as I am, Rarity?”

“I’m not sure if I’m shocked, but I’m certainly surprised, dear.”

Twilight raised both eyebrows. “Well, I’m shocked, excuse me. Pinkie Pie should know a lot better then do something like that. And did you see her grin? She didn’t feel the least bit guilty about it. I honestly don’t know how you can stomach this.”

“Darling, that’s a bit -”

The door to the library opened, and Rarity was harshly interrupted as Rainbow Dash and Applejack walked in. The pair argued loudly and it was fairly obvious about what.

“Rainbow that was completely uncalled for. You stared at them like you’ve never seen two ponies do that. I mean, it was a bit unusual but that doesn’t excuse you from gawking.”

“I don’t think you realized what we witnessed there AJ. That was amazing ... a huge accomplishment. I never realized Derpy had it in her. I really must show her more respect after this.”

“Why Derpy? I don’t see it. We had a quite similar contest at my first Apple family reunion. Okay, we used apples instead, but me and Big Mac still managed that without a problem. It’s not that big a deal.”

One could have heard a pin drop in the following silence. Finally Rarity managed to stutter “You and your brother did what? I have no words, Applejack... how ... I don’t even …“ and fell back into stunned silence.

However, only in this calm could a quiet sobbing be heard: Fluttershy had joined her friends, but no pony had noticed her until now. All eyes set on her and the timid pony became even more distressed. Even in the total stillness they could barely hear her whisper “Oh Pinkie, how ... I thought … you said … we talked ...” and then the voice was lost in sighs and sobs again.

Rarity walked over to the pegasus pony and wrapped a foreleg around her in a hug. “There, there, darling. We are all a bit emotional right now, but it’s no reason to cry. I’m sure we can help you get over it. Just relax and everything will work out, don’t you think?” But this only made Fluttershy cry even more and to add insult to injury her other friends joined in and argued even louder than before.

Rarity’s “SILENCE!” reached a notable fraction of Princess Luna’s Royal Canterlot Voice. As a few spiders fell down from the higher parts of the library-tree the fashionista continued in a more controlled voice. “You know I like a bit of drama as much as the next pony, but you are all making a mountain out of a molehill here. I suggest you take a deep breath and you will see it’s really not that big a deal.”

Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Fluttershy looked at her as if she had just proposed to set up Discord and Princess Luna. The four all started talking at the same moment.

“You can’t mean that, Rarity. I simply can’t believe how -”

“- Pinkie Pie completely ignored all health and food safety regulations!”

“- they made that kiss last more than ten minutes without breathing!”

“- those two managed to eat a whole muffin together without losing a single crumb!”

“- Pinkie made out with another pony when she has me, even if it’s a secret!”

The following awkward silence was punctured only by the sound of Rarity’s hoofsteps as she walked out of the library and closed the door behind her.
Her frustrated groan still made all windows in Ponyville cling and rattle.

Author's Note:

After that week of videogame-related prompts (at least that's what I think those were) this one almost wrote itself. :raritydespair: :pinkiehappy:


The prompt: Everypony was surprised to see them kiss.

Special rule: The reason everypony is surprised should be something more than not knowing the kissing ponies are a couple. That’s fine as an aspect of it, but there should be something additionally surprising about the kiss, the couple, or the circumstances of it.

PreviousChapters Next