• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 2,438 Views, 53 Comments

Remember Me - Agent Everfree



Follow the story of Scar Everfree as he talks of his most important memories that could change how ponies view changelings

  • ...
12
 53
 2,438

Chapter 6

Remember me

"Run. That's what you do when you're out of options and something is after you. You run, run far away and never come back"

Chapter 6

We were in trouble.

Big trouble. Spike had returned, and found the pony he had known all his life, hugging somepony he didn't know. And not just that, but a changeling - an enemy. He said nothing when he saw us, only turned and run away, Twilight had tried to stop him; but it was far too late. Twilight was panicking. She paced around the room, trying to form a plan to help me - but she didn't seem to be able to think of anything.

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK

We both turned to the door at the load knocking.

"This is the Royal Guard by the order of the Princess. Open this door!" A male voice yelled from the door, still banging on it.
Fear went over Twilight's face as the guards continued to hammer at the door. Twilight looked toward me, with her features turning to sadness.

"Run..." She simply said to me.

"Wa... what?.." I didn’t understand what she meant. I could not leave her here with these stallions - I was still a hunter. I could fight them to protect her. But she was not seeing it that way; she saw it better than I did.

"Run to the forest and hide, if you stay here they will kill you, and you can't kill them too... You're better than that. Just run, and get far away from here.”

I stood on the spot just looking at her. I could not feel my legs. With fear for my survival I would do anything. But this was more than just me surviving, this was about protecting the one thing that had changed my life for the better, making me something more than just another monster to fear and hate.

I didn't want to go...

"RUN!" Twilight yelled at me, tears pouring from her eyes as the guards began to ram the door open. Something I knew well inside me awoke as I obeyed, turning around and running for the window. I jumped through it breaking the glass, with the shards cutting my body.

"There it is! Get it!" I looked around to find not just guards surrounding me, but the rest of the town. The ponies who had welcomed me, who made me feel at home within a day...
They all hated me...

"You’re gonna pay for what you did to our friend changeling!" It was Rainbow Dash looking like she was ready to attack the second I moved. They were everywhere. Ponies who wanted nothing more than my termination.

There was a loud BANG and a flash of light. I looked around to see the sparks from within the library. Within that moment, the ponies and guards looked away from me to the sound. I took my chance and ran as fast as I could.
"Hey it's getting away!" I heard them yell.

Thank you Twilight...

No other pony could have made that distraction for me. I saw the forest reaching closer as I ran toward it. Looking around, I saw more guards following behind far too close for my liking. I blasted the ground with my magic, making dirt rise into the air giving me cover for a few precious seconds.

I had no idea where to run to, the forest felt so different than when I was last here. Had being in Ponyville softened me to a point?

Was the place I used to call home no longer welcoming to me either?

Was I welcome anywhere?

As I kept running I saw flashes of light zoom past me hitting the trees with a spark. They were firing at me, They must have really wanted me out of the picture.

It made me think - how can this be fair? To judge me just on what others had done, and not one of my actions.
I began to grow tired. I had never run so much in my life. I could feel my body slowing down, and looking behind, the guards were beginning to catch up with me. They must run like this a lot.

I returned my sights to the front only for my eyes to widen. I came to a screeching stop with my legs digging into the ground. I had reached an edge of a cliff and looking down I could just make out, the long stream of a river moving slowly. I heard the sound of hooves coming closer.

I closed my eyes and gave a sigh of defeat.

I had lost...

The sound of hooves stopped, and I turned around to see the guards pointing their horns at me. There was nowhere left to run and even if there was, I was just too tired to. The lead guard walked forward towards me, a grin forming on his face.

The guard stopped in front of me. Before I could do anything he turned and kicked me in my gut. I felt whatever breath I’d gained being ripped out of me. I fell to the ground, gasping for air. I looked up to the stallion, only to be punched in the face with his hoof. He kicked me so I was laying on my back, then began to repeatedly hit me in the face. Again and again. I could make out the sounds of some ponies making gasps of shock as the stallion continued to beat me, and after a final punch, he picked up my head and slammed it into the ground.

Blood poured from my mouth, my eye was swollen making it hard to see. My body burned from the beatings, combined with the scars from the glass. I tried my best to get up, wobbling badly. I looked around to see more ponies had come. This time they had no signs of hate, but sadness... pity...

Some had looked to the guard that had beat me with disgust, but he did not seem to care as he turned around once more, and kicked me off the cliff...

I heard the shouts of ponies but I could not make out there words.

I fell...
Hitting the water with a loud SLASH.

And here we are again, sinking down to the bottom of a river. This is how it began and this is how it ended, me in a river...
Looking back on what I said before, is it right to judge a race just because of the acts of one? In the time I spent with Twilight, I learnt that just because of the acts of that guard hurt me, does not mean that all ponies are like him.
So no, it is not right.

As I looked up under the water surface, I wondered if there is a safe place for me when death takes me.
But I could not find out this day...

After all, how would I write these words...

I saw a hoof reach into the water towards me. With whatever strength I had left I grabbed it and felt my body being pulled from the water and to land.

I took big breaths of air as I crouched down on the muddy earth. After I regained my breath, I looked up to the one who had saved me.

It was a guard.

But not like the ones I saw before with white coats and gold armor. This one had a dark gray coat with shining purple armor and a set of golden eyes with slits like that of a cat. Looking at her shape, it was a mare.

"You okay?" she asked me with concern, with a voice that reminded me of something.

"Yes... Thank you... Who are you?" I asked her, as it's nice to get to know the one who saves your life. She just gave me a small smile before saying -
"Just a friend... with a message from another friend. She said run Scar, run away and stay safe" She told me. I looked at her for a moment and nodded. I got up and turned to keep running. But after a moment it came to me...

Her voice...

The voice...

THE VOICE!

I turned around again to find that the guard had disappeared. For some reason a smile formed on my face when I got to thinking.
She was still watching over me, even after the teaching.

And so with nothing more for me...

I ran... and ran... and ran...