• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 2,438 Views, 53 Comments

Remember Me - Agent Everfree



Follow the story of Scar Everfree as he talks of his most important memories that could change how ponies view changelings

  • ...
12
 53
 2,438

Chapter 5

Remember me

"I am a warrior on the inside, and it can't be denied or I will end up turning this land into a battlefield tonight, so I look around through the warrior eyes and see nothing but fear inside."

Chapter 5

From there Twilight told me so much...

And it hurt...

To learn that my kind were seen as monsters by many of the ponies, monsters who attacked this lands main city, that they had been outlawed by the princess, saying that any changeling spotted must be reported to the royal guards, and that no contact should be made. I couldn't understand why my kind would do that. Twilight talked about something on them needing to feed off of love. The voice talked about that, but I never knew what that meant.

Many more of Twilight's friends came to visit the library, forcing me to hide, to avoid being seen, and after learning of what my kind had done it came as no surprise on how they would react if they saw me.

Twilight talked about having an assistant named Spike, but he was in Canterlot, the main city of this world Equestria. But Twilight didn't just teach me about what she knew about my kind, she began to teach me more things, like reading and writing for a start, to more about magic and the world we live in. Some of this would seem boring to a child who grew up with this stuff, but I could not stop paying attention to every word Twilight said.

These moments were important to me, as this is when I started to be normal and not a hunter.

But this would not last forever, as this memory soon shows.

It was another day in the town of Ponyville. I had not yet gone outside, seeing as the ponies would run and scream at the sight of me. I would then find myself a prisoner for just being a Changeling.

I sat on my cushion by the desk, reading away, enjoying the peace around me, until Twilight called me.

"Scar, could you come up here a moment?" I obeyed, and went up the set of stairs to where Twilight waited sitting on her bed. She was holding an old book. The edges were starting to crumble and the cover looked like it would rip with just the slightest pull.
"Is there something wrong Twilight?" I asked her, she had taught me well with speech.

"No Scar, I just got thinking that you've been in this library for some time now, and you always have to find the moment somepony shows up... So I think it's time you got to see Ponyville" She told me with a small smile forming on her face.

"But you said I couldn't leave, or they would take me away." I was confused on why she would suggest such an idea. True I wanted to see the rest of the land but I can't.

"I know that, but I got to thinking, you're a Changeling. You can shape-shift into other ponies, but I also know we don't want to run into the pony your copying, so I had an idea" She then placed the book she was holding down onto the bed and opened it up to a page, then gestured for me to come over.

I walked over to the bed and looked at the page Twilight had turned to. On the left page it showed a picture of a gray unicorn with a white mane and tail. He was standing on what looked like a Timberwolf, but what I thought was interesting was that he was holding a bow and arrow with his magic. But other than showing a picture of an interesting pony, I didn't understand why Twilight was showing me this.

"This is Everfree. He was a hunter who would go into the Everfree forest, looking for a good hunt" She told me, pointing to the right page with more information about him.

"He named himself after the forest, to show he did not fear what lived there, and that he was the ultimate hunter." she explained.
"So an idea came to me... That maybe you could change into Everfree, and you could walk around Ponyville with no problem." The idea sounded good, but there was still a problem.

"Wouldn't somepony realize that I'm not Everfree?" I asked
"Oh, they won't because Everfree isn’t real. He's a character I made when I was young and trying to see if I was a writer. Turns out that making stories is not my thing." She said with a small chuckle.

It was worth a shot. I hadn’t really used this power so I wasn't sure how this would turn out. I took a good long look at the picture, imagining my body becoming just like Everfree's. I felt a warm feeling around my body like someone was covering me with a blanket.
After a few minutes I gave up and looked back at Twilight.

"Sorry Twilight. I guess it didn't work..." I said

"Oh I wouldn't say that." she said with a face full of wonder. In a second I turned around and looked at the mirror on Twilight’s table. Staring back was not a changeling, but a gray unicorn with a white tail and mane. It worked...

"I'm Everfree..." I muttered looking at my reflection, I saw that my eyes had the same colour as when I was a changeling, my left eye pink, the right blue, with my scar running down my left eye.

"Well, since he was never real, I think Scar Everfree wouldn't be out of the question." Twilight said, standing next to me. Before I could say anything else...

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK

Twilight gave a sigh as she walked back down the stars to see who it was. I followed after her seeing as I looked like pony now nopony would question me.

Twilight opened the door revealing a pink pony, one of Twilight’s friends I remembered.
"Hey Twilight I just came---*GASP* Who's that?!" The pink pony said, pointing toward me.

"Oh, that’s Scar, he's a friend of mine Pinkie." Twilight said

"You had a friend over, and you didn't TELL ME! HeneedsapartyrightnowgottagoBYE!" And with that she was gone. I would say she was better than me at disappearing.

"What was that all about?" I asked her, very confused by Pinkie.

"Oh, that’s Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie, she throws a party for everypony here, and I guess you're getting one" She said, then walked over to stand next to me.

"Well Scar Everfree, time for you to meet Ponyville.”

And we did. I got to see the bright sun, breathe the fresh air and feel the wind on my fur. It was odd. My body felt so real, like I had always been a pony, even if I knew it was fake. We went all around Ponyville. The ponies smiled and waved at us, and I waved back. I felt truly alive. Like I had been robbed of life for so long for somepony to give it to me, and that pony was Twilight.

As the sun began to set over the horizon, Twilight told me we should head to a place called Sugar Cube Corner. As we arrived, something felt off. I hadn’t been hunting for long but it was still in my bones. I walked into the store and found darkness. I waited for a moment and then...

SUPRISE!

I almost ran for cover, thinking I was under attack, but I soon saw it was the ponies of Ponyville greeting me at the party, a party for me.

I couldn't help but feel happy that these ponies I didn't know had welcomed me with open hooves, like I had known them for years. But it would not last...

Twilight soon introduced me to all her friends. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy, who seemed to really live up to her name. Of course I had seen them all before, but they never saw me since I was hiding from them.

The party went on for a a while, but soon ponies were leaving for home. Twilight too believed it was time for bed, and so we made our way to leave. I thanked Pinkie for throwing the party for me. We walked through the cool night with the moon as our only beacon of light. We walked into the library which had become a home to me too, as well as Twilight's.

We walked in and sat down on the cushions, glad to be home.

"Well, how was your first day in Ponyville?" Twilight asked me.

"The best day ever, and I owe it to you Twilight Sparkle." I told her, and smiled. She returned the smile. And at that point, time seemed to slow down. I looked into her eyes that held a wonderful spark. I felt her hooves wrap around my neck as she pulled me into a hug, as I rested my head on her shoulder I held onto her with my own hooves and finally for the first time in my life I new what it was like to truly have a friend. I felt my eyes close, that warm feeling in my body melting away.

And now you can think how could this end badly, what could ruin this day and moment?
One word... Just one word.

"Twilight?..."

Spike.

We broke the hug and looked at the door finding a small purple dragon staring shocked, but it quickly turned to angry at the sight of me.
I looked at my body to see the another thing to ruin it all...

My pony form...

Had disappeared...