• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 3,538 Views, 116 Comments

The Dragon War - Rarityfan87



Spike receives a letter from Princess Celestia summoning him to Canterlot with most urgency. As he's leaving to go to Canterlot, he's stopped by Rarity. Rarity is sad to see Spike leave, especially since she had a special message to tell hi

  • ...
13
 116
 3,538

Chapter 5: The Time Has Finally Arrived

Rarity opened the letter, excited to see what Spike responded with.

Well Spike, I did come here on a mission, and not even you can stop me. It’s just like when you were younger, you had a mission. Your mission was to watch over me, protect me, make sure I was always happy, make sure I wouldn’t overwork myself, always be there when I needed a shoulder to cry on and always there to help whenever I needed it. Whatever happened to those days Spike? Did you just grow up? Or did you just give up because I was stupid enough not to act earlier? Whatever the reason is, I hope it’s not too late and you will still accept me with open arms and with a big smile. I hope you’ll love me like younger Spike did. If you don’t… then I’ll just have leave everyone behind and never come back. Where would I go? I don’t know, as long as I don’t ever have to see another familiar face. But what’s the use, everything would remind me of you. I guess I would just roam the world, having to suffer knowing that in the end, you weren’t there for me in my time of need. How would you feel then Spike? Knowing why I went missing, and that you could have prevented it…

Rarity smiled.

You know it’s funny Spike. How the roles have switched, now I’m chasing you. Now I’m the one here to protect you, watch over you, and when we are together, we’ll both be a young Spike, and take care of each other. We’ll have that passion. Remember what they say Spike, be careful what you wish for, for it might not turn out how you want it to. But I don’t think this will be the case, in fact I think everything will turn out perfectly.

Rarity regained herself, shocked at what just went through her mind.

How could I think such things? Spike is my friend, and I should accept his choice. He has the right to want to be just friends. This is Spike after all the one who was always there for… Yeah WAS there for you. Oh whatever happened Spike? I’m sorry Spike, it was stupid on my part not to act earlier, please forgive me Spike. Please accept me when the time comes. That’s all I ask. That is my wish.

Rarity walked over to her bed, and dreamt of how she would live the rest of her life with Spike.



*The Next Morning*

Spike woke up to the beautiful sunlight coming through the windows. He got out of bed and noticed Twilight was still sleeping. He patted her on the back gently, causing her to wake up.

“Good morning Spike.” Twilight noticed a sad look on his face.

“You’re thinking about later today aren’t you?” Twilight was starting to feel depressed at the thought as well.

“Unfortunately yes… which brings me to why I woke you up right away.”

“Go ahead Spike. I promise not to interrupt, and take your time, I know this is really important for you… and for me.”

“Thank you Twilight.” Spike said as a tear dropped down his cheek. He took a few deep breaths. He was now able to say what he would hope he would never have to say ever in his life.

“Twilight, unfortunately today… we might not… might not…”

Spike took another few deep breaths and let out some more tears. He spoke.

“We might not… see… each other after this. This… may be… the last… time we see each other. I wanted to give you a little speech in case that happens.”

He gently grabbed her hoof, careful not to hurt her with his claws. They looked at each other straight in the eyes.

“Twilight you were always there for me, always putting me first over everything else. Raising me, even when you had no idea how to do it. Raising me properly and helping me succeed and achieve as many goals possible. Loving me like a parent, no matter what I did right or wrong. Giving me advice whenever I sought it. You even protected me whenever I was in danger. You showed everypony that just because I am dragon, that doesn’t mean they should treat me differently. You were the pony I needed in my life, and I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am now if it wasn’t for you. I just want you to know Twilight, no matter what happens today, in my eyes, you will always be the best mom, and the best friend I’ve ever had, and I want to thank you for that.” They were both sobbing by now. They both hugged each other not wanting to let go. A little later, Twilight whispered in his ear.

“That is the nicest thing any friend of mine has ever told me. It makes me so happy that I mean that much to you. Ever since I got you as an egg, I knew I was going to raise you as best as I could, and after what you said, it sounds like I accomplished my mission. Spike you were the best student and… son I will and have ever had. I always wanted to be there for you Spike, and for the most part I was. But there were those few times… I never forgave myself for those moments, like when I didn’t invite you to my birthday party in Canterlot all those years ago. When I came back home, I felt horrible for that. I was glad you didn’t get upset with me, which helped for sure. I also want to apologize for not being there for you more often, I would often hang out with my friends and not include you. I don’t know what I was thinking. Will you please forgive me Spike?"

“Of course Twilight, I could never stay mad at you.”

They (after what felt like an eternity) broke the hug.

“Well Twilight, I think we should share our... possible last moments together and make the best of it.”

“Yes, let’s do that.”

They both walked to the kitchen, and grabbed some food. They decided to eat in their room, they just wanted to spend that day alone, wanting to enjoy each other’s company.



*Back to Rarity*

Rarity woke up, feeling horrible from the events of the previous night. She started to think about the day. This is the day that everything led up to. Today was the day. Rarity decided to get some breakfast and eat it in her room, she had a lot to reflect upon. As she made it near the kitchen, she heard Spike and Twilight’s voice. She hid around the corner not wanting to be seen by Spike. Being near the kitchen, she couldn’t help but overhear what the two were saying.

“Well Twilight, this is going to be the best day we’ll ever spend together.”

“It sure will Spike… it sure will.”

Rarity could hear their hoofsteps slowly fading.

Oh Spike, I know how you feel. You’re doing the right thing Spike, make this the best day ever for the two of you. If only I had the opportunity to do that with my parents.

Rarity grabbed some breakfast and walked back to her room. She enjoyed her breakfast and started to get ready for the events that were about to come.



*Back to Spike and Twilight*


The two had just finished eating breakfast. Knowing it would be best to get ready, they both got prepared for the events ahead.

“Hold on Twilight, how about we do one more quick practice, before we go?”

“Sure Spike, but what made you want to do that? I’m usually the one who would suggest something like that.”

“Well honestly, I’m not ready for this, there are too many bad things that could happen out there.”

“Don’t worry Spike I’ll be there to help you through the whole thing.”

“I know, but there’s always that possibility.”

“Hey worry wart, let’s get practicing.”

“Right behind you.”

They made their way to the practice grounds and did their last practice. Not wasting too much time, they returned to the ground.

“Goodbye practice field, hopefully this will be our last goodbye.”

Spike flew (with Twilight on his back) to the meeting grounds. They got in place in front of the soldiers and were greeted by the princesses.

“Well you two, are you ready to go?”

“Yes. Good luck to you two, hopefully we’ll all come out of this alive.”

“Good luck to you two as well, and may we all come back alive.” Luna said.

Celestia spoke next.

“Alright everypony, it’s time. Follow us… and remember, you’re doing this for all your loved ones and friends. You are some of the bravest ponies I’ve ever met. Good luck out there everypony. Now let’s go.”

Everypony followed the princesses to the battlefield. A lot of chattering, could be heard. They were all thinking the same thing, pray to Celestia that there will be a minimal amount of casualties. They arrived at their destination. They all waited… waited for the adversaries to show up. About twenty minutes later, they could see the dragons coming over the hill on the other side. They were waiting for the dragons to make the first move. A few minutes later, they could hear the dragon king giving a speech.



Choose between one or both these songs: Song 1., Song 2.


“Today my fellow dragons, we fight to teach these ponies what the price is for messing with our eggs. We fight to exact our revenge for all the future children we lost. We also fight for the families that lost their egg because some cruel pony thought it would be funny.”

The king raised his claw.

“ARE WE READY?”

The dragons cheered and roared in agreement.

“Let the fight begin. ATTAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!”

The dragons charged towards the ponies, some by ground and some by flight.

Celestia waited until they reached the halfway point.

“Alright everypony… ATTACK!”

The ponies charged towards the dragons, except for one…

Rarity stayed behind, making sure to keep an eye on Spike. She was having trouble keeping up with him, as he was flying a lot faster than she could run. Thankfully he stayed around the same area, so she could keep an eye on him. Rarity in turn started casting stunning spells on the dragons coming from the side.

Whereas Spike and Twilight were using what they learned in practice and we doing quite well in the mess they were stuck in. Twilight, wanting to keep the two safe, used a death spell powerful enough to kill a dragon, only when necessary. She would use the stun spell she was told to use otherwise.

The Pegasus soldiers would gang up on a dragon and knock him out with their quick agility. When the dragons would land, the earth ponies would take the opportunity to slit their throats, not wanting them to have an advantage over them.

The princesses were using their stun spell to help keep things under control and helping to protect the Pegasi.

It continued on for quite some time. The dragons were slowly being taken down, but not very easily, there were also a lot of pony casualties. Finally the dragon king joined in and helped in the fight.

"Alright, let's turn the odds around." The dragon king started throwing balls of fire all directions, causing a lot of the ponies to quickly dodge. He started clawing through ponies, giving no mercy. The odds were starting to even again, and possibly the dragons might win. That is, until Twilight noticed where he was.

“Hey Spike, I see their king, bring me in closer and I’ll end this.”

“I’ll do my best Twi.”

Spike manoeuvered around the dragons, having a lot of close calls, it took him quite a while to make it past the dragons, and reach the dragon king, as they were flying, Twilight was charging her spell, she knew it wouldn't be powerful enough to kill the dragon king otherwise.

“Alright Spike, try to stay as steady as possible.”

“I’ll try. Just hurry Twi.”

Twilight finished charging her spell. It only took her a few seconds for her to align her horn and cast the spell. A direct hit in the chest. Everypony and dragon watched as the dragon king fell to the ground. They heard a loud *thump*.


End song here.


Everypony and dragon stopped, the dragons decided to retreat, not having a leader anymore. One stayed behind and spoke.

“You may have won this time, but we’ll be back, more powerful than ever.”

Celestia and Luna commanded the other to help brings the deceased pony bodies back to their side.

As for the dragon, he had another plan. He looked around and noticed there was a lone white unicorn. He charged his fire breath and threw it in her direction.

Rarity was too busy being happy to have seen Spike was alright. Spike turned around and flew towards the others when he noticed the fireball. He flew as fast as possible towards it and yelled to warn the pony.

“HEY YOU MOVE OUT OF THE WAY THERE'S A FIREBALL COMING YOUR WAY!” Unfortunately the pony didn’t hear him, and it was closing in fast. He flew as fast as possible and yelled those words again.

“SPIKE?” Rarity suddenly noticed the fireball coming towards her. She screamed an ear piercing scream. Just as it was about to hit her, Spike flew in front. The fireball missed and hit the next thing in sight… Twilight.

Twilight fell on the ground, landing hard. The fireball hit her directly in the side of her chest, instantly killing her. Spike looked around and saw her.



Song representing what Spike and Rarity are going through.


“TWILIGHT!” He flew towards her and landed beside her.

“Twilight wake up… please… wake up.” Spike fell to his knees, he grabbed her and held her in a hug. He didn’t want to believe it, but she was dead. In the corner of his eye, he noticed a familiar white unicorn running towards them.

“Rarity!?”

“Yes Spike it’s me…”

“What are you doing here?”

“It’s a long story that I plan on telling you when we get home.” Rarity noticed Spike holding Twilight.

“Spike is she…”

“Yes the fireball hit her directly, instantly killing her. Why couldn’t it of hit me instead? I’m immune to fire, it would have done little to no damage.”

“I’m so sorry Spike. I know how much she meant to you. She would have never been hit if it wasn’t for me. It’s all my fault.”

“No it isn’t Rarity, it’s all his fault!”

Laughter could be heard from the other dragon.

“How dare you do this to Twilight! You’ll pay for this!”

“SPIKE NO!”

It was too late, Spike flew as fast as he could towards the dragon. He threw a fireball distracting the dragon as he came from behind and grabbed him from the neck.

“You think it’s funny huh? Well how about I slit your throat?”

“Well, well if it isn’t one of the eggs that got taken.”

“This isn’t about that, this about what you did to my best friend.”

“Doesn’t it bother you to know how you ended up there?”

“It has in the past…”

“Don’t you want to know the truth?”

“Well…”

The dragon took the opportunity to slide out of his hands, Spike noticed and flew towards him. They flew a little ways until Spike lost sight of the dragon. All of a sudden the dragon came up behind him and clawed his left wing. Spike continued to flap his wings, intense pain in his left one. He was slowly descending. He could see the Everfree forest not far off in the distance, and decided that he would try to land there. Spike was getting tired and the pain from his left wing was getting worse, until he couldn’t use it anymore. He was falling much faster now.

“SPIKE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Rarity yelled, as she watched him lose height.

Spike crash landed in the Everfree forest, knocking him out. His pursuer slowly made his way over the forest, but was interrupted by a yellow Pegasus who found Spike’s body. He decided to head back to the other dragons. Fluttershy with the help of her animal friends brought Spike’s body into her hut and they laid him on her spare bed.

Back at the battlegrounds, all that could be heard were orders from both princesses telling the soldiers to continue bringing the bodies back.

There was one more pony that could be heard… Rarity.

“SPIKE NO! NO! You’re okay, I’ll come back to Ponyville and everything will be alright.”

Rarity couldn’t keep it up, she knew the truth of the matter.

“How could this happen, I was supposed to protect you Spike, but I failed my mission, and now you’re not going to be a part of anypony’s life…” Rarity sent a signal flare spell in the air calling the princesses over.

The princesses arrived soon after.

“What’s the emergency Rarity?”

“It’s Twilight… she’s…” She pointed them in the direction of her body.

“Quick Luna, let’s bring her back.”

“Yes let’s use both our magic so we won’t be overtired.”

“On the count of three.”

“One… Two… Three!” They lifter her body gently and walked back to the others.

Rarity followed them with great difficulty, she wanted run to Spike, but she knew it was too dangerous.

They all arrived at the soldier's camp. Everypony was looking in the direction of the princesses, in shock and horror. The princesses placed Twilight's body gently on the ground, being careful not to damage it.

"Everypony, we lost a lot of great ponies today..."

Both Celestia and Luna couldn't keep their composure, not after what just happened. They couldn't hold back their tears.

"I've been through many wars, I've lost a lot of friends... but this is one of the worst. It could have been prevented... that's what makes it one of the worst. I just hope that pony is happy with himself. I hope he sees all the casualties he's caused! As you can see... we lost another great friend... Twilight Sparkle. She was a great student, a great alicorn... but now she'll never become the princess she was entitled to become." Celestia face was showing signs of pure anger... rage. Her mane stopped flowing, looking just like a normal mane, her eyes turning red. She spoke.

"If any of you know anything about who was the one who caused this, let me know IMMEDIATELY! I will make sure he will suffer, make sure he doesn't want to live anymore... not after what he's done... Now Luna help me bring Twilight's body to the Castle grounds, we'll give her a proper burial there. As for Spike, we are not sure what happened to him, but for what we think, he's most likely dead." Luna was shocked at what she just witnessed.

"Yes sister, let's go."

They flew away, carrying Twilight with their magic.

The other ponies stood there in complete shock, they never saw the princess lose it like that. She always kept her composure in the past, but this was the last straw. Now they truly feared of what the princess had in plan for the traitor.

Rarity on the other hand, didn't pay attention to the princesses, she was to busy thinking of Spike... for all she knew, he was dead.