• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 7,217 Views, 429 Comments

War of the Fallen Race - PegasusKlondike

  • ...
67
 429
 7,217

Histories

The Doctor did as Rarity had commanded, bringing the actual human back to his house to distract him for the evening. Opening the door to his mechanic's shed of a house the earth pony and the human sat in the cluttered living room.

"So, do you want to discuss something?"

"More along the lines of just hang out with a friend."

"Oh, well then. Care for some salt?"

"If it comes with a margarita, then yes."

The Doctor shrugged it off, then went to his kitchen to retrieve two blocks of salt. Dropping one on the table next to the couch, the Doctor retired to a large chair to lick his block.

Aaron picked up his salt block and looked it over curiously. "What do I do with this?"

"You lick it my friend. Inebriation shortly ensues."

"Not what I meant, my species gets drunk through consumption of alcohol, mostly from fermented plant products."

The Doctor considered it for a second. "I have some tequila from Mexicolt, the burros down there drink it somehow without dying."

"That will do fantastically, but since it is tequila, leave the salt block."

The Doctor set up Aaron with the bottle of tequila, after a few drinks he felt like Doctor Whooves was his best friend. "I screwed up bad Doc. I did something horrible."

"Come now, it can't be that bad."

"It is! I went out during the day and Twilight knows!"

The look of shock on the Doctor's face validated Aaron's concern. "Are you daft man? You could have been caught!"

"No guard patrols during the day. Besides, I took on my new pseudonym of 'Ambassador Zinra'."

The brown pony calmed. "Then why be so concerned?"

"It's the fact that I defied Twilight. She's my friend and I stabbed her in the back. I don't think she's sick at all, she's angry with me and wants me gone."

"Don't be so hard on yourself mate, she ain't in a tizzy over you." The Doctor's cockney accent was getting more pronounced with each lick of his salt block.

"Now I'm torn Doc, I still have my mission to complete!" The human was now struggling to speak normally.

"What's your mission?"

"I didn't tell you? Long story short, as the first guy outta the freezer, I gotta look around, see if things are okay and then wake up everyone else. And now Twilight has my entry card and she'll never wanna talk to me ever again!"

"I'm not sure how to feel about this mate, I feel your pain for your duty, but also I'm kinda scared about what that duty entails."

"Don't be scared Doc, I wouldn't let anythin' bad happen, we just want to live our lives, that's all!" Aaron took another swig of tequila.

"In that case I'd sleep on it, *hic*. Try to work things out tomorrow."

The two went quiet for a few minutes before Aaron broke the consuming silence. "I got more confessions if you want 'em Padre."

"What? Sure, why not."

"But you gotta swear that you'll never tell anyone! Sorry, anypony!"

"I swear by all of time itself my friend!"

Aaron took a swig from the tequila, reclining back into the couch. "I wasn't some two bit scientist, I was a hero of humanity, a great leader! But I failed mankind."

"How? If you were a hero then how did you fail them?"

"It was my advice to abandon the civilian population, go it alone and all, hope to God that whatever was killing them would just, go away! Like that." He snapped his fingers.

"That's awful! How could you do such a thing?"

"We couldn't help them, not without humanity going completely extinct. Trying to help would have killed us all."

"I understand you my friend. You did what you could for those you could save. Morally not the best choice, but you did the right thing. And you know what? On behalf of all ponykind, I forgive you of your sins."

"Thanks Doc, you have no idea how long I've waited to hear that. How many Hail Mary's is that?" The Doctor raised a curious eyebrow, then shrugged it off.

The two went silent for several minutes. "Doc?"

"Yeah?"

"I've had the time of my life here in Ponyville, more so than I ever did with my kind."

*********************************************************************************

Aaron awoke on the Doc's couch the next morning, late morning more like, with what felt like a thousand hooves stamping on his head. Standing clumsily, he made his way to the bathroom, determined to rid himself of the burro gutrot. Minutes of hugging the porcelain had him wondering if last night had been worth it or not.

He got ready to leave, then realized he couldn't walk around in daytime without his diguise, human being and all that jazz. So he crashed again on the Doc's couch, wanting nothing else but for someone to come in and shoot him. He wondered where Doctor Whooves had gone to, probably grocery shopping or something. Did salt give them hangovers? They would be the luckiest species ever if they could get hammered all night with no repercussions the next day except high sodium.

And so he lay there, a puddle of pitiful human misery who had failed at life. Who knew when he graduated college that he would have been one of the major players in humanity's great war, propelled two thousand years into the future and once again hold the fate of humanity in his fingers? And he apparently had very clumsy, slick butterfingers, and it looked like mankind would have to keep on sleeping in Lazarus, no hope from this failure of a man.

Hours passed, Aaron's headache clearing enough to where he actually got bored. Looking at some of the Doctor's books, he saw one that he thought was more of a bible than anything else. "The Elements of Harmony? What the hell could that be?" So he cracked it open and lay back on the couch.

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria. There were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony in the land. To do this, the eldest used her alicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn. The younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth. But shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger alicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness, Nightmare Moon. She vowed she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom, The Elements of Harmony! Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon. And harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.

"Seems to me like this is a fairy tale, the Elements are obviously a metaphor for some crap like loving each other. But Nightmare Moon does strike a chord somewhere." He began to psychoanalyze himself, wondering why that name meant something. He gave up and went to the kitchen to find some chow, luckily for him the Doc had a little bit of cheese and a loaf of bread. He filled a glass of water, but it slipped through his fingers, shattering it on the floor. But it did not matter, because he made the connection. In his alcohol fogged head simple calculations occured.

Regal sisters=Princesses, Princesses=Celestia/Luna. Luna=Latin for Moon. Luna=My Personal Nightmare. Thus, Luna x Nightmare + Moon divided by zero = Nightmare Moon!

"Luna, you finally cracked did you? You went nuts and tried to make it eternal night." He felt confused inside, confused as to whether he should feel sorry for the Princess, or die laughing. In his mind, the alicorn got what she deserved after what she did to him personally and to his race. "I hope you rot up there!" he shouted at the ceiling.

A crash and a tumble from the general direction of where he yelled told him that the Doc was home. Slowly making his way down the stairs, he painfully looked at the human. "What was that all about? Why do you want me to rot in my bed?"

"Oh, um, not you. I was doing a line from a play, big Broadway hit with us humans."

"Well could you tone down your rehearsal a few decibels?" So they did get hungover, what a culture shock.

The human retrieved a glass of water for the brown earth pony. Handing it off, the Doc slugged it all in one gulp. "Oh that takes the edge off. Alright, would you like to discuss human history?"

"Can't leave until nightfall, I have nothing better to do."

They took their respective seats, the Doc not getting any ink or parchment.

"Don't you want to record this?"

"Photographic memory, I'll write it all later."

"Okay, where do you want me to start, cultural or biological beginnings? Biological goes back millions of years but has less detail."

"Then let's go with cultural."

"The first known human culture started roughly eight to ten thousand years ago in an area once called the Fertile Crescent in what was the Middle East, probably not what it is now though. These first cultured peoples were collectively called the Sumerians, noted in history for their independent invention of non-pictoral writing, organized cities and the wheel."

The history lesson continued all day, spanning thousands of years and the struggles of millions. The Doctor only sat, never speaking except to question motivations of an action or meaning of a word.

***********************************************************************************

Twilight Sparkle was back to her normal self, hooves and all. She was confused about last night, why had she just done the spell with no research, no experiments and little to no regard for the consequences. And now she had to let him go, when he came home from where ever he was this time she would give him his belongings and set him free.

"Spike? Have you seen the human?"

"Which one?" Spike replied with an attitude.

"Don't get snippy! I haven't seen Aaron all day, did he come home last night?"

"No, probably went over to Doctor Whooves' house. Though its equally likely that he stumbled into the Everfree and got eaten by timber wolves."

"Do I need to smack you on the wrist? Cause you're asking for it!"

"No, Twilight. Its just that you and the human get along so well, I feel left out. Besides, you're like my big sister and I want to protect you."

"Oh Spike, you'll always be my little baby dragon." She nuzzled the little dragon. "Hey, why don't we go out for some cupcakes? I'll buy."

"Alright, but I get to ride on your back."

Twilight smiled, "Done."

******************************************************************************

He left the Doctor's house that night, dodging the guard patrols that seemed to be ever increasing in number. He stealthily made his way to the library, determined to set things straight. Opening the door, he saw Twilight cuddled up with Spike, the dragon asleep and the unicorn reading a book. She bookmarked her page, closing it as he entered.

"Hello Aaron."

"Hello Twilight." The mood was not cheery or welcoming, rather it was kind of tense. "About last night, I'm sorry for whatever I did."

"I know you are, but it isn't you, it's me. I have a little gift for you." Her horn took on its telltale purple glow, and a book levitated over to him. It was a book on The Elements of Harmony, "Open it." He obliged, tucked in between the pages lay his identification card and a xeroxed map to Stronghold. "Take the book too, maybe your kind can learn something about Harmony. I guess this is goodbye Aaron, I never was good at letting my friends go."

He took his card and the map, feeling as if both weighed a hundred pounds. "I don't know what to say."

"Thank you would be a start."

He dropped to his knees next to the unicorn, leaned close to her and gently wrapped his arms around her neck. "Thank you for everything." He stood and walked to the basement to pack his things. He had collected some memories from this journey, a photo of the six friends, an 'honorary Apple family member' certificate made by Applebloom, an ancient artifact of the dig, a hat that Rarity had made for him on the way to Ponyville, a small hourglass Doctor Whooves gave him to watch the time during their discussions, a feather from both the wings of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. So many things tugged at his heart strings and he wondered whether he would actually be happier here than with humanity.

But he had a sworn duty to his kind, and now that he could fulfill it he had to. Glancing at the book Twilight had given him, he turned to a page with six round stones illustrated. A description listed them as the Elements of Harmony; Honesty, Loyalty, Generosity, Laughter, Kindness and Magic. "They're real, but what can they do?" He read on, the Elements had been given by the Earth to help the Princesses fight a great evil in the world, and they had succeeded. And now six chosen ponies who embodied the Elements wielded their power for Harmony. It did not say who the chosen ones were, but they had saved the world from evil and destruction by either sealing away evil or purifying it completely. Closing the book, he packed it away into a backpack that had been made for him.

Walking to the door of the library, he turned back to the unicorn, "I'm sorry for what I am, Twilight Sparkle, goodbye." She looked to the human, tears welling in her eyes. She stood and ran from the room.

He closed the door, making his way to the center of town, making all haste due west towards home. Strange, the guard patrols had all disappeared, and there was no sound at all despite being early evening. He stopped, feeling eyes on himself. His heart beat like a cornered rabbit, sweat forming on his face. He knew he had walked right into a trap.

A single *twang* sounded and suddenly his leg burned like fire, collapsing, he saw the arrow protruding from his bleeding thigh. The world lit up as guards in gold armor burst out of every possible hiding place, but they were not alone; black armored, bat winged Nightguards joined them. He struggled to stand as they surrounded him, reaching down and with every ounce of fading strength tried to rip the arrow from his thigh, but could not and then drew his pistol to defend himself. Another arrow slammed him in the shoulder.

But something began to control his hand, a black aura surrounded his hands and feet, forcing his fingers open. His arms shot straight out to either side, his legs clamped together at the ankles, like he was crucified. His feet left the ground as he began to levitate, helpless to whatever they had in store for him.

"Well well well, it looks like I was right. The years have been kind to you demon." Out of the shadows walked his living nightmare, Princess Luna, her horn glowing with magic. She looked at the arrows protruding from him, "I told you foals not to fire!"

"You." he hissed, pure hatred dripping in his voice.

"Surprised to see me? Here, let me take those out for you." The arrows began to slowly twist their way out. The trapped human screamed at the pain, his cries of anguish filling the still night air. But the wounds stopped bleeding and closed.

"I have suffered your curse for two thousand years demon, since that day you corrupted me in the War."

Aaron struggled to catch his breath from the torment, facing his age old foe. "How was the moon Luna? I thought you were still there. Did you see our lunar lander, or did you destroy that too!?"

"Do not speak to me you insignificant worm! Your kind did not suffer my wrath!"

"Leave my friend alone!" A blue streak landed in front of the magically crucified human, crouched and ready to fight.

"Rainbow Dash, no! This is between me and her!" Aaron shouted.

"Aaron would never hurt anypony, you big bully!" Pinkie Pie had joined Rainbow Dash. The entire town had woken to watch the events unfolding. Ponies began to surround the circle of guards.

"He's a kind and gentle person, leave him alone Luna!" Rarity now stood between the Princess and Aaron.

Fluttershy landed with her friends, " You should be ashamed Luna! He would never hurt a fly!"

Applejack, Applebloom and even Big Macintosh ran in from the darkness to join their friends. "If y'all want to hurt him, you're gonna have to go through me first!"

"He is good at heart Princess! Give him a chance!" Aaron took heart when he saw Doctor Whooves join the barricade.

"Luna, stop this madness!" Twilight put herself directly in front of Princess Luna.

The townsponies began to shout at the Princess, "Leave him alone!" and "Let him go!" the guards began to turn outwards to prevent a riot from happening.

Luna's eyes began to glow with the amount of rage and magic coursing through her veins. "SILENCE!!!" Everypony cowered, giving Luna room to speak to Twilight.

"You do not know this monster as I do, Twilight Sparkle. He has lied to you and everypony else assembled here! The very least of his crimes are worthy of death! He is The Defiler! The creature who unleashed evil into the world and disrupted Harmony! I do not hold a grudge against his kind, I come to make him pay for his crimes! It was him that used foul magic to corrupt my very soul, he raised an army of his fellow men to march on Canterlot, he made the weapon to try and murder the spirit of the Earth, he is responsible for the death of his kind! And now he has returned after two thousand years to corrupt our souls once more. He is the reason why we call their kind Demons, and why we erased their memory from history!"

Twilight turned to the captive human, "Aaron, is this true?"

Luna released the hold on his limbs, allowing him to fall to the ground in a heap. "Tell her, Demon!"

"Twilight, I'm so sorry, it is true." He reached out to touch Twilight, who recoiled from him.

"Stay away from me, monster!"

"Twilight, no, I have changed!" She ran from the human, sobbing for his treachery. The rest of the crowd remained silent, unaware of the horrors this creature had done. They began to disperse, with only his friends left standing, unsure of their loyalty to the human.

Luna turned and began to walk away. "Guards, bind him, we take him to Canterlot."