• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 7,215 Views, 429 Comments

War of the Fallen Race - PegasusKlondike

  • ...
67
 429
 7,215

The Surge

Lieutenant Tyler McGoff sat behind his desk just outside of General Winter's office. Going over a quartermaster's report, the Lieutenant sighed. Winters was up to something, he was always up to something. The General had a mean streak a mile wide when it came to having ulterior motives. Winters had graduated from West Point somewhere in the middle of his class, the only way he even got decorated in any conflict was through getting wounded.

If Fort Greenewell had been a true military base, a pure research facility or even a boot camp, command of it would have fallen easily on McGoff. But since Project Lazarus was based at Greenewell, the top levels of government had decided Winters would be the better one to oversee the project. Which pretty much meant that his family had lobbied John Winters in a fit of military appointment that normally wouldn't be seen in civilized government.

Psychologically, McGoff was more level headed and more conscientious of his fellows. Winters barely passed the psych evaluations when he first came in as an officer. But they-who-must-be-obeyed proclaimed that since Winters was from a wealthy family, his expertise was what they needed for funding and building Project Lazarus.

Of course he was one of the few to know about the true nature of Project Lazarus, and one of the damning catches to that knowledge meant he was completely nontransferable. Since the highest levels of government were so enamored of Lazarus as an idea, any and all people who knew about the Project stayed on the Project.

But, Greenewell did have its perks for Lieutenant McGoff. With the hair at his temples turning gray, he felt like he needed to find a person to settle down with. And in the military one doesn't really find the nicest ladies. But the scientists, they were more his style of person. Especially Dr Mcentyre, but as people they weren't really compatible. Army lieutenant and hippy scientist? Not a chance, so all he could do for now was admire from afar, and try to keep as much of a leash on Winters as he could from his position.

*************************************************************

Life was pretty good for Dr. Aaron Patterson. A kickass research job with the Army, no bills, no overdue student loans, free room and board with a decent view, free reign over one of the most technologically advanced laboratories in the world, the honorary title of lieutenant, and best of all, he was making friends. Not the best friends of course, but friends he could brag about. Oh, who's your friend over there? Only the top scientist in her field! And that guy? A General in the Army with powerful connections all over the world!

After his routine daily report to General Winters, things would always relax, formalities would drop and the two would banter back and forth like drinking buddies. These were always the best times to drop those bombshell questions, when the General's guard was lowered.

"Call me crazy John, but it doesn't seem very logical to keep an army of prisoners right outside your door. I'm don't exactly believe in violent solutions, but this is kinda nuts."

"Aaron, you remember a few days ago we reestablished communications with Washington? We got a call from a certain Secretary whose head is so far up his own ass he can't see the light of day. And this certain Secretary gives us orders to start capturing some prisoners, and here in the military we have a belief that if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

Aaron faked a hard laugh to buy himself more time.

"Okay, I'm a scientist right? Can I have a talk with some of our prisoners, see if I can't get some information out of them, they have to know something right?"

"Better yet, call the Horse Whisperer!" General Winters laughed hard enough at his own pun to shake his desk. "Oh, you're serious. Aaron, it would be against regulations to allow you to interrogate the prisoners, you don't have the training and we would be liable for any mishaps."

"Please sir, in the interest of science. Just allow it this once. I formally swear liability for myself and I'll be armed the entire time."

The brigadier general sighed, considering the offer. "Alright, better get some use out of the damn nags, Washington does want some answers."

"Thank you John."

"Nope, you just traded away that privilege, Doctor."

****************************************************

Escorted by two soldiers, Dr. Patterson walked along the fence circling the prisoner's enclosure.

"Have any prisoners shown signs of higher intelligence, or have any stood out as leaders in any way?"

The corporal at his left shrugged his shoulders. "Define 'higher intelligence' Doc, they're all too smart for horses and none of them talk to us. They just mope around like they're waiting to be slaughtered for a Frenchman's dinner party."

They continued to walk along the perimeter, Dr. Patterson mentally discounting each pony he saw. It was true, they did all look like they were lined up to die. Having done a near full walk of the perimeter, Aaron saw a pony that looked familiar. Red coat with a tattoo of white wings. He did know this one, he had saved it from being shot at its campsite when they had raided it a few days earlier.

He pointed a finger straight towards the roan red. "That one."

"You don't want that one sir, he's always got this look like he knows somethin' private about you."

"Precisely, take him to interrogation room three. Bring a pillow or something and some carrots."

***************************************************

Cloud Hoof saw the way that human had looked at him, he had plans for the renegade pony. Two human soldiers with their shock prods entered the enclosure and starting coming straight in his direction. Cloud Hoof sighed, now was his time to die. The bloodthirsty monsters had kept him fresh long enough and now desired to feast upon him. With the same melancholy attitude as everypony else, Cloud Hoof resigned to his fate. He looked to Starshine, his beloved wife and said goodbye.

The two soldiers placed shackles on the pony, and led him out of the enclosure. They started to walk towards one of the main buildings, which Cloud thought was strange. If they were going to eat him, why didn't the soldiers take him to their dining hall? Maybe they wanted to experiment on him, an even more terrifying prospect. Horrified thoughts raced through his head. Entering the main door, Cloud was nearly blinded by how white the inside of the building was. More white than anything else he had ever seen. And the smell, it was choking him. How could these creatures stand the polluted unnatural foulness here? It smelled of lifelessness and decay.

His two guards brought Cloud to a room marked with a number three. What could possibly be behind door number three?

"Alright prisoner, we'll be watching your every move, so don't try anything. Answer every question he asks and you'll go back to see your little pony friends again."

That's what they wanted? To ask questions? They entered the room, all white like everything else, just not blinding. In the center was the man who looked at him behind the fence, sitting behind a table. The room was otherwise featureless except for a rather large mirror covering a wall. He nodded to the guards who shook their heads in disbelief and left the room.

"Have a seat if you would please." He indicated a mat sitting on the floor opposite where he sat. Cloud Hoof silently obliged, his clinking shackles breaking the silence.

"I would like to start by saying I do not mean you any harm. My name is Aaron Patterson, do you have a name?"

Cloud Hoof sat silently, he would not be degraded by this puny creature.

"Do you speak? Personally I have never heard one of your kind speak and do not know what to expect."

Silence.

"I do know you. When we captured your village, I prevented that soldier you injured from killing you."

"Cloud Hoof," the stallion said.

Startled by the pony's sudden break from silence, Dr Patterson hadn't registered what it said.

"I'm sorry?" he managed to stammer.

"My name is Cloud Hoof."

"Well, um, Cloud Hoof, it's nice to finally exchange formalities. Now, first question, what is the significance of your tattoo?"

Cloud lifted an eyebrow. "What is a tattoo?"

Dr Patterson pointed to Cloud's hip. "That mark on your leg, the wings."

"That is my cutie mark, it shows up on a pony's flank when he or she learns what they are destined to do in life."

"You mean you brand yourselves with your career choice?"

"No, it appears on us as a young colt or filly."

"It can't possibly just appear. There has to be a cause for it."

"I've already told you why it happens."

The young doctor reached into a bag, pulled out a pencil and some paper and began to scribble notes furiously while muttering to himself.

"Alright, second question, do you know what The Surge energy is?"

"What?"

"The energy that altered you to your present form. Do you know what it is?"

"No."

"Aren't you curious as to why you suddenly gained sentience and went on a rampage?"

"I never questioned it."

"So you don't know why you suddenly started a revolution? Don't you have any questions about your identity?"

"No."

"Another day I would like to discuss that. But on to question three, why did your kind attack our towns?"

Cloud stood more resolute in the defense of his actions. "We acted defensively, the humans who got in our way were sacrifices to be made for our freedom. Now I'll ask, why did you attack our villages?"

Dr Patterson sighed, he knew they were being rather hypocritical by condemning pony attacks on humans while glorifying human attacks on ponies. He gave the best possible answer he could.

"It is in our nature."

"Is it your nature to burn and destroy anything that looks you in the eye and says it is through being tormented and enslaved?"

"I cannot speak for my brethren, but it is not my way."

"Then what is your way, Aaron?"

Dr Patterson set down his pad of paper, flipping a switch on a small device. "When I first learned your kind could speak, I felt like we could talk through our differences and come to some kind of a compromise. But, neither side really made the effort. And that is both our faults."

The stoic expression of the pony softened a little, he was getting through to him.

Dr Patterson flipped the recorder back on and picked up his paper again. "Question four, how does your society organize itself?"

The questions went on for hours, Aaron only pausing to catch his breath and get a drink. The interview ended only after the guards reported that dinner call had been sounded and his presence was required by the general. Aaron looked at his watch, the interrogation had lasted the entire afternoon, far longer than the single hour he had been granted! Dr Patterson had learned so much about the warrior pony known as Cloud Hoof, but he felt like he had only scratched the surface and he desperately wanted to know more.

"Well Cloud Hoof, I'm afraid that's all the time we have today, how about the same time tomorrow?"

"As if I had a choice."

Dr Patterson twinged at that remark, in his course of thought he had completely forgotten that Cloud Hoof was a prisoner of the Army.

The two very tired looking guards escorted Cloud out the door, Aaron stopped the superior of the pair. "Guard, give him a double ration tonight, he did well."

**************************************************************

Exiting the same way they entered, Cloud Hoof and his guards went back across the base to the prisoner encampment. Cloud Hoof made a realization that he had given Starshine his final goodbyes earlier, she must be worried sick or on the verge of being suicidal. After being unshackled at the gate, he ran into the melancholy mass of ponies, looking for Starshine. He found his beloved by herself, weeping at the "loss" of Cloud Hoof.

"Starshine? Starshine it's alright. I'm okay." Gently he brushed aside her tear matted mane.

The green mare looked up from her weeping vigil. Seeing Cloud, she stood and slowly walked to him, then at the last second lifted a hoof and smacked Cloud on the side of his head.

"OW! What did I do?!"

"You told me you were going to die! You idiot, you great lummox! Do you realize how worried I was! You stupid mule!..."

Cloud let his wife carry on with her very colorful and inspired tirade for a few minutes. Then, he diffused the situation with a hug.

"All they wanted was to ask some questions. Strange questions, but fairly harmless ones."

"That's all? They didn't cut parts out of you and eat them raw or mess with your brain or anything?"

"Nothing of the sort. Come now, I've gotten double food rations tonight, let's eat." I will never understand mares, he thought to himself.

******************************************************************

Entering his office, Dr Patterson noticed General Winters was a bit sterner than usual.

"Dr. Patterson, your report?"

Taking his customary seat across from the General, Aaron pulled out his various pages of notes. "What do you want to know General? He sang like a stool pigeon for several hours."

"What are their plans?"

"As far as I can tell, they don't have one. They just came into being a couple of weeks ago with no direction or motivation."

"Alright, I'll let that one slide for now. Why did they attack?"

"Self defense, or what I gather to be more like a prison break than a revolution."

"Do they know the source or the cause of The Surge energy?"

"No, they are in the dark even more than we are as to the nature of the The Surge."

"Well, it appears you got something out of this. But not the thing we needed. When you finally get some useful fucking information, then bother to report! I have the Pentagon and the President riding my ass about why this is happening! Did you know that we are the only sector that is completely clear? The only base that can actually take time from fighting to find some goddamned answers? Thanks to you Doctor. All fucking thanks to you. Keep up your investigation with your little pet pony, and come back to me when you have something good to report."

Dr Patterson snapped an impromptu salute, his voice trembling slightly as he replied, "Sir, yes sir."

Dr. Patterson promptly left the office, only to run into his mentor in the hallway, chatting with Lieutenant McGoff.

"Hey kid! I've been looking for you all day. I have some new information that might be a game changer."

"Hello Eve, that information better be why the general's rod is shoved farther up his own ass than usual today."

Dr Mcentyre rolled her eyes and placed a hand on Aaron's shoulder. "Oh, Lord. Kid, do you know your status in Washington?"

"Didn't know they knew I existed."

"More than that, your discovery of the Surge energy in the ponies helped put down the revolt in dozens of sectors. You are a scientific godsend to them. A real American hero. General Winters is jealous of your fame and wants a share of the glory. That's why you report to him instead of directly to his superiors, so he can at least have some partial claim of the fame."

"I thought he was just being friendly."

"Don't be deceived by that old son of a bitch, he's got a streak of ambition wider than the Yellow River and a psychiatric report more blacked out than the Manhattan Project."

"Thanks for the warning, what's this new information you have?"

"I'll tell you in the lab."

A brisk walk and several minutes later had Dr Patterson looking through a microscope at some of the most inconsequential bacteria he had ever seen.

"Okay, they appear to some type of phagocytotic archaebacteria. Other than the fact that organisms this primitive don't typically eat each other, I don't see the significance."

"Watch this." Dr Mcentyre turned to her side and flipped the switch on an omega detector. "Stand back or you might skew the results."

The device began to crackle, slowly, almost like the heartbeat of a hibernating animal.

Aaron's eyes began to go wide, he shook his head, denying this as some kind of forgery or joke. "That could be background radiation."

"It isn't background, I've been checking and rechecking it all day."

"You mean The Surge affected these too?"

"Not the most recent one, no. I had to turn the detector the absolute highest sensitivity and supplement its power supply just to see this infinitesimal amount."

"Recent? You think there were more?"

"This strain of bacteria is almost a billion years old, Aaron. There could have been dozens of Surges, each time influencing evolution and giving it a little directional push. Now here's the real kicker."

Dr. Mcentyre turned the detector away from the bacteria culture and aimed it straight at herself. The machine gave a more rapid crackle, not like the psychotic whine when aimed at ponies, just a steady click every three or so seconds.

Shocked was a word that could not describe the feeling Dr. Patterson felt. Science had just been turned on its head.

"It can't be possible, The Surge created us? That's almost Creationist talk!"

"Funny, I recall a certain up and coming biologist who argued that this was highly plausible."

"That's beside the point!"

"Is it really?" smugly replied the aging doctor.

**********************************************************

The questioning continued everyday at roughly the same time. Each time it was just Dr Patterson and Cloud Hoof alone in the interrogation room, talking. Eventually they just talked, not really questioning one another. Cloud Hoof began to trust the human, and Dr Patterson felt the pony to be more like a friend everyday.

"Cloud, today is the day I put my full trust in you. Guards, unlock his shackles."

The two soldiers who had the daily duty of escorting the prisoner grimaced at the thought of the skinny doctor being in the room with an unfettered warrior. But they complied.

"So, do you have any thoughts on our previous appointments? Have you come up with an answer for your identity?"

"No, but I have some questions for you, Aaron. What of my kind? What is happening to those in other places?"

"I don't know personally how to take this, but most reports are telling us that United States forces are now aiding our neighbor countries in repelling pony and other animal forces. The conflict is over here."

Cloud's head drooped at the news. "So it is true, we failed at our goal."

"What goal?"

"Harmony, our kind were given this gift to defeat you and bring harmony back to the world."

"Just days ago you proclaimed that you had no knowledge of a plan or goal, what changed Cloud?"

Cloud looked around the room, as if seeking the source of a whispering in his ear, "Something is calling to us, everypony in the prison says they feel something coming, something that will change us."

"Do you know when or what this thing is?"

"Soon, my friend, soon."

"You actually consider me a friend Cloud Hoof? These days I don't know who is friend or foe."

"You are different from your kinsmen, you care for life and cherish it with every breath. Where your brethren would slaughter for petty reasons, you stood for peace and mercy. When they bicker without reason, you seek to know every angle and reconcile any differences. I would be proud to consider such an upstanding human my friend."

Just then, one of the guards burst into the room, "Dr. Patterson, you are needed in lab two!"

"Please excuse me Cloud Hoof."

Exiting the room, Patterson followed the guard to the laboratory, where every person present seemed panicked.

"Dr. Patterson! The omega detectors are off the charts!" shouted a lab intern.

Aaron tore a readout sheet from a detector hooked up to a computer, "It must be a flaw, that amount of energy hasn't been detected since The Surge."

"It isn't, the Marines report that all field units are doing the exact same," Dr. Mcentyre added.

Something is calling to us, everypony in the camp says they feel something coming, something that will change us.

Aaron's eyes left the readout sheet, his heart pounding. "Good god, they knew this was coming."

Outside, a glow began to crest the horizon. Not the glow of daylight or anything natural, a green glow, moving incredibly fast. It was what the humans called Surge energy, but this time, far more powerful and concentrated. It swept across the forests and the fields, altering things as it went. It reached the base, so powerful it swept men off their feet and shook the very foundations. It lingered on the pony prison, but only for a split second. This new Surge pummeled forward, unstoppable in its goal of alteration. The force had been strong enough to knock every person in the lab to the ground.

"Is everyone alright?" Aaron said, standing carefully.

"No injuries here sir."

"Eve, hold down the fort here, I have to get to Cloud Hoof!"

Dr Patterson ran, past confused soldiers and through panicked civilian crowds. He came to the door of the interrogation room, inside he heard groans and what sounded like breaking bones. Throwing a shoulder against the locked door multiple times he managed to force it open. What he saw was even more unexplainable than the thought of talking ponies. Strange protrusions seemed to be growing out of Cloud's back.

Cloud screamed in agony as the nubs grew longer and more defined, his very body altering itself for its new purpose. It was the worst pain he had ever known, and it continued to wrack his body for several minutes as Aaron watched in horror.

Outside, soldiers armed themselves with assault rifles, no stun this time, they armed themselves to kill in the chaos left by this second Surge. Then something happened, a great roar sounded from the hills above the base, a gout of fire spewing from some new monstrosity. Human soldiers and civilians stopped dead in their tracks to watch this new horror emerge from the trees.

********************************************************

"I wanna know what the hell is going on!" General Winters was furious, here they were on the cusp of total human victory and the entire plan had been thrown into the air.

"Sir, we don't know."

"I want every single chopper off the ground and fighting whatever this is, mobilize every armored unit and have every reserve soldier put into combat! And finally lieutenant, I want you to tell me what these things are."

"Sir, we...we don't know."

Suddenly, a massive black shape swooped over the base. It could have been anything, but the moment it breathed fire and destroyed an entire line of helicopters its image evoked a single word from human myth, dragon. It was gigantic, bigger than a blue whale, its massive bulk blocking out half the night sky.

"Lieutenant, have you been slipping me drugs, or was that literally a fucking dragon?!"

"It looks more like... reinforcements, general."

Smaller shapes now swooped down to pick off individual personnel, shapes that had eagle's heads and lion bodies. From the forest came catlike forms, but with insectoid tails that stung like scorpions. Upright forms rammed through the fence, lowering their horned heads to toss soldiers like rag dolls and flip Humvees with their charge. All the General knew now was that the apocalypse had just knocked on his front door.

********************************************************

"Cloud Hoof, you have wings." Dr Patterson said to his friend, still panting from his transformation. "You're a pegasus."

Cloud stood on unsteady hooves, extending his new wings in wonder. "I had a dream, a dream that told me I would soon be able to lead my people away from this horrible place, and now it has happened."

"Go Cloud, be with your love, take to the skies."

The pegasus stood and headed for the door, at the last moment turning back. "I will not forget you, friend." Cloud Hoof took off for the door, forcing any people he met to get out of his way. Crashing through the main door, Cloud saw the chaos which the change had brought. Fire rained from the sky and soldiers fired randomly at whatever didn't walk on two legs. Cloud ran for the prison, dodging strange new creatures and humans locked in mortal combat. He reached the gate and turned around to kick through the padlock.

Many ponies still struggled to get to their feet, the addition of wings throwing many off balance. Cloud stood tall and shouted, "Listen everypony! We have been given a second chance for freedom, these strange new creatures are our friends! Come with me, let us spread our wings and take to the skies!" A cheer rose from the new pegasi, and together, many hundred of wings beat for the first time to take their owners to the clouds. Cloud saw Starshine, fearfully looking at her friends free themselves from the binds of the earth. He ran to her side. "Starshine, we need to go."

"I am afraid, my love."

"Do not give them the satisfaction of fear."

Starshine looked into her husband's eyes and gathered her will.

"Together Cloud, together we will go."

And together they spread their wings, flapping their new muscles and as one, the pegasi earned their freedom.

*****************************************************************

I don't know why I haven't done this yet, but all persons portrayed here are used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to persons or ponies, living or dead, is pure coincidence. Except for General Winters, I kind of based him off of a man with a similar name and rank from a Robert Redford movie, pretty damn good one too, if you ever have a free afternoon check out The Last Castle, its kind of slow to start but then the siege scenes are epic. And the usual treatment, if you have a concern you would like to express or any faults you would like to point out, leave a comment below. Or just leave a comment if you feel like it, its a free country, at least where I am it mostly is. Oh and make sure to properly make your opinion heard to the proper authorities about ACTA, which threatens our internet freedom globally.