• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 7,215 Views, 429 Comments

War of the Fallen Race - PegasusKlondike

  • ...
67
 429
 7,215

The Last Tyrant

It had been the most terrible defeat anyone in the military had ever witnessed. The Day of Judgement as it had been called had started as the ultimate human victory over the forces of the Earth, but a third Surge had come and destroyed whatever hope of victory was to be had. They fled back here, to Fort Greenewell, known to friend and foe as Stronghold. Of the expeditionary force of 200,000 professional soldiers and conscripts, roughly half had been lost on the blood soaked fields, most of the conscripts had rebelled and fled in the midst of battle. Scattered to the winds, the human army limped back to Stronghold, stragglers coming in for days after the battle's conclusion. General John Winters still maintained command, despite the fact he was among the first to flee, partially because nobody else wanted to be in command and take the blame for their failure.

Dr. Eve Mcentyre had taken all responsibilities in the science division. In her mind she wept for the loss of her beloved student Aaron, who had died in a helicopter crash after trying to stop the flow of magic with Lucifer. But there was hope, every day soldiers trickled in, some of them having been in the worst parts of the combat zone. If they could survive dragon fire and magic attacks, maybe Aaron had survived. After a week she gave up hope. He was not a very strong man, and even if they did take him hostage there was little chance for escape. But they hadn't counterattacked, they could have utterly destroyed the human army, but the two demigods that led them now had stopped them. They had showed mercy in their victory.

"They really are better than us." mused the aging scientist, her sorrow unending. General Winters was planning a second assault on the castle and town now forming on the Surge mountain. The crazy bastard would never learn. And so he had every scientist trying to create new weapons to fight. There had been a little success, micro Tesla towers no taller than a foot could protect a squad or vehicle from direct magical attacks for around twenty minutes. Though most experiments had failed. Many refused to work, they wanted to accept the fact that this was no longer a human world. Maybe even try talking to the enemy. The general would hear none of it, and anyone who defied him would face a firing squad.

It was terrifying, Winters being in supreme command of the last human army. Nobody knew what really happened to General Esera, a far more intelligent and beloved man who had led them before. Winter's official status on the disappearance of Esera was suspicious. He said that Esera had taken a stray bullet right before Winters had met with him. That alibi was full of shit to say the least.

**********************************************************************************

Princess Celestia marched through the unfinished halls of Canterlot castle, hunting down her sister Luna. Her hooves clipped and clopped against the stone floors as she came to the door of Luna's quarters. Her horn became enveloped in its white magical glow and the door flew open. Luna slept inside, laying on a pillowed bed, dead tired from some unknown exertion.

"Explain yourself Luna!"

The black alicorn looked confused, "What? What have I done?"

"There are rumors spreading that we are preparing to attack the human citadel!"

"They are just rumors, now let me sleep." Luna laid her head down and closed her eyes. Celestia grew impatient, and using her magic upended a pitcher of water over Luna's head. The soaked alicorn was now at full attention.

"The ponies spreading these rumors say they heard them directly from you! And another thing, I looked at our prisoner's cell, he had been living in squalor for a week with no food suitable for him! And you wonder why he snapped!"

"I don't recall any of what you are saying, sister. Did we ever catch that human?"

"No, he escaped completely, most likely at Stronghold now. What if he heard the rumors Luna? Our entire plan for pacifying them could be ruined if they thought we were coming to wipe them out! And as for you, something is different about you. I want to look in your mind."

The black alicorn's eyes narrowed."And why would you want to do that?"

"That human weapon did something to you. If you could only see yourself you would know the pain I go through when I hear that my own sister is causing chaos and torturing prisoners."

Luna softened, Celestia's words striking a nerve. "Fine, let us do this."

Celestia's horn once again glowed white, she leaned in towards Luna and touched on the tip of her horn.

Instantly she was inside of Luna's mind. A garden of life and love surrounded her, Luna's mind was a place of beauty. Flowers that had not seen daylight for hundreds of millions of years shared space with the most beautiful roses and orchids. Lush grass carpeted the earth that Luna chose to create here. There was a pathway, leading to the center of the garden. Following it, Celestia found Luna. She lay in the shade of a wondrous tree whose branches had no flaw and whose splendor would be forever unmatched by any earthly tree. But there was something wrong, a black scar festered in the bark of the tree. Living darkness undulated and writhed within the wound, and it slowly grew, it would one day go beyond the tree of Luna's life and consume the garden of her creation.

"Luna," the image of Celestia said to the alicorn in the shade, " if you can hear me, I will do what I can. But this is beyond even me." Her horn gathered its white aura, she took in as much magic as she possibly could. Celestia began to bind the scar, but it fought back. She laid down layer after layer of magical healing on the festering scar, but to little effect. It seemed to gloat at the havoc it had caused, at the havoc it would cause. Finally, Celestia used every ounce of her strength to bind the darkness. A shimmering white glow encompassed the evil scar of corruption, but it would not hold forever. It seemed to try and tear at its bindings, like a mad man in a prison cell. Celestia pulled away from the fragility of Luna's mind.

Luna still lay upon her bed, now shaking like a newborn foal. "Celestia...." her voice trembled "... what have I become? Can you ever forgive me?"

"You were under the influence of dark magic Luna, it was not you that did and said those awful things. You have nothing to apologize for."

"Am I cured of the taint? Will it come back?" she looked at her sister with pleading eyes.

Celestia could not answer, one day the darkness would consume Luna and on that day, she could show no mercy for the agent of corruption. She lay down next to her sister and spread a wing over the princess, showing the love and compassion only a sister could give.

***************************************************************************

Life was terrible for a human nowadays. After the Day of Judgement, people just gave up. The death march back to Stronghold had taxed the limits of every man who survived. Over two hundred miles from the Surge mountain to Stronghold, naturally those with wheels and wings arrived first. And it was these people who had to stand guard and make sure no wanton magical creature made its way in and destroyed everything or any of the ever increasing rebel war parties sacked the place. One of these people now sat in a guard tower overlooking the fortified main gate. He would never be bored on duty ever again, the images of the rising of the demigods would forever keep his eyes sharp and his hands steady. Men on foot still trickled in occasionally, recounting tales of survival on the death march home. No vehicles came for days. That is, until the hero came home.

A battered humvee roared up the beaten road that led to the main gate. From what the guard could tell, only one man sat inside. But it could just be one of those rebels who occasionally tried to sneak in for protection. The humvee shuddered to a stop, the lone man exiting the driver's seat and approaching the front gate with his hands raised.

"Identify yourself!" shouted the watchman.

The filthy man had a short beard and smelled horrible, even from that distance. He looked like he had been drug halfway back on the bumper of the hummer.

"I am Dr. Aaron Patterson, chief biologist here at Fort Greenewell. I request entrance."

The watchman could not believe it; this filthy, skinny, unwashed decrepit creature was the man who created Lucifer, the single scientist who discovered magical energy and fought for peace?

"How do I know you aren't lying to me!"

"Why would anyone bother to lie about being me? I have my passcard if you need further proof."

The watchman left his post, catching several of his fellows and superiors, telling each and every one that a man claiming to be Dr. Patterson had showed up at the gate. The gate slowly opened, five soldiers with weapons raised all approached the pitiful human being. The watchman took the passcard, quickly scanning it to make sure it was not a forgery, then handed it back to the scruffy man. He stood at attention and saluted, "Welcome home sir."

Every other man there stood back and saluted, and Aaron entered the gate of Stronghold. Word had spread quickly, men and women stood from their melancholy to see the man who had dared spit in the face of God and survived. Soldier and scientist stood in salute as he walked past, some even cheering, his one goal being the laboratory.

Word indeed spread fast, for as he approached the labs and scientist quarters, he was met by an envoy of his dumbstruck colleagues. At their forefront was Dr. Mcentyre, who rushed to hug her student.

"Don't you ever do anything like that ever again! I already lost one son, I don't want to lose another!" tears in her eyes, she stood back and smiled, "And you smell like a landfill."

"Long story, but I have terrible news that everyone needs to hear."

"Tell it after you rest, you look like you just beat the devil." he did not complain, Aaron was taken inside, given a hot shower with all the soap that could be spared and fresh clothing. Afterwards he ate heartily, he would never take mystery meat for granted ever again. The fatigue of a week of imprisonment followed by his adrenaline filled escape took its toll. He collapsed on the nearest mattress and didn't move for twelve hours.

Snapping awake, he realized that time was the ultimate factor and here he was taking a catnap! He clothed himself as quickly as possible, thinking about how he would say what needed to be said. His legs screamed at the exertion of him running to the war room, where undoubtedly all ranking officers and scientists would be located at this hour, planning their next move.

He entered without introduction, and was startled to notice that General Winters hadn't become some dragon's food. Little did it matter.

"I'm sorry to interrupt whatever it is that you are discussing. But I have reports from Canterlot!"

The officers and scientists looked at one another, confused by his use of the fairly odd word Canterlot.

"Sorry, Canterlot is what the enemy is calling their capital. They are gathering a magic user army to come and destroy us!"

This evoked a more heated response. Somebody in the back shouted out, "How can you be sure?"

"I overheard two of their soldiers talking, it also seems that there is something else out there, something that is destroying civilian towns where normally they were left alone."

"We know about that threat, it seems to strike from one town to another, like a plague. But it only consumes single towns at a time. Growing stronger and faster with each town consumed."

"And I have one more issue. If you are not aware, General Esera was murdered."

General Winters stood from his seat at the head, "We are all aware of Esera's accident, now can we please move on?"

"I did not say he had an accident. I said he was murdered in cold blood."

"And what proof do you have?" said Commander Pilotte, delegated commander of the Special Forces after Esera's mysterious death.

"If someone would please provide me with a pair of AAA batteries, I will gladly give you the evidence."

The room began to shuffle as people searched, finally a soldier proffered a pair from his radio. Loading them into the recorder like a shotgun, Aaron hit the play button.

A crackled voice began to emerge from the small device, undoubtedly the voice of the late General. "This is General Nolan Esera, personal log. I can't believe what is happening out there, dragons, gryphons and flying horses? This is not what I signed up for, but everyday I will fight to find a feasible solution and bring peace back to America. If what that kid scientist says is even halfway possible, we can't win. We can't fight God, yet here we are on the field of battle, preparing to do just that. I believe him, what he said about them getting stronger when ever it seems like we are on the verge of victory. It only makes sense if we choose to stand against something which wants us gone. We tried diplomacy, but their ambassadors did not have any demands. Which can only mean they have nothing they want except for the war to be over, with themselves on top."

The recording skipped forward, unbeknownst to the men and women listening to the final words of the great man, Winters had stood and slowly made his way to the door.

"General Nolan Esera, personal log. We won the field, but at what cost? 10,000 American men and women died out there. Now the conscripts are beginning to talk of abandoning the campaign, even if we manage to succeed in destroying the Surge source, America will never heal from the wounds of hate and distrust that were sown here. When the military forced the very people it is meant to protect to march to their deaths against an enemy of unknown power. And I know who is responsible for this, the one man crazy enough to do such a thing to further his own lust for power over the safety of mankind. I called him here to the command tent, General Winters betrayed us and will pay for his crimes." At that point, the recorder was muffled, the General having placed it in his coat pocket. Mostly unintelligible shouting was heard, but occasionally Esera's coat opened up enough to discern the owners of the voices.

Winters, his voice spoke coldly and without emotion or regret for his actions. A thud sounded on the recording, and Winters' voice was the only remaining. A mostly muffled monologue detailing his madness, but the last words sounded clearer than crystal. "And just so you know, I will be the last man standing." a barely audible pop broke the silence, and the recording became static.

Commander Pilotte stood. "Winters you son of a bitch!" Everyone looked to the seat where he had been, but he had escaped during the recording. "After him!"

The entire staff ran for the door, armed officers taking the lead. They rushed down the hallways to see the front door still closing. Kicking it down, they witnessed General Winters running for the tarmac, intending to take one of the few helicopters. Soldiers and staff milled about, but were brought to attention by the commotion.

Winters rallied who he could, "All soldiers to me! These men are attempting a coup! Kill them all!" A ring of soldiers now surrounded Winters and the war council.

Aaron raised his hands, speaking to the soldiers ringed around him and Winters, "Listen to me men, this man is a murderer! He is responsible for our loss and for the slaughter of the conscripts. He murdered Esera to forward his own bid for power. He abandoned us on the field of battle and threatens to kill anyone who opposes him!"

Soldiers who had their guns trained on the scientist hesitated, then lowered their guns.

"What are you doing! Kill them now!" Winters looked to Lieutenant McGoff, "Lieutenant! I order you to kill this man!"

The lieutenant gave Winters a look of disgust. "Fuck you John, it's over."

"I am why we survived! I am America! I AM HUMANITY!" Winters tried to wrench an assault rifle from a soldier, but the soldier refused to let go and slammed Winters in the face with the rifle butt.

Falling to the ground, he struggled to get back up, blood pouring from his nose and mouth. He looked up to see Aaron holding a pistol to his head. "I should kill you for what you did to this country and her people," The entire base now watched the unfolding drama. "I should let the monsters beyond that fence tear you limb from limb or turn you inside out. But that would make us no better than you. Men like you are why they call us demons." He lowered the gun. "The enemy can show us mercy, I can show you mercy. It's over Winters. It's their world now." Aaron turned to walk away.

Reaching into his coat, Winters pulled his revolver. "I WILL BE THE LAST MAN STANDING!" He aimed at Aaron's back, and a shot rang out. Aaron turned, the General stood stunned, looking down to the bleeding wound in his chest. Another shot, the General lurched forward and collapsed, blood pooling under his lifeless corpse. Behind him stood Lieutenant McGoff, the man constantly tread upon and misused, having slain the last of the tyrants of man. The barrel of his pistol still aimed at Winters' corpse, a small wisp of acrid smoke drifting from the barrel.

Aaron walked to the lieutenant, placing his hand on the pistol he lowered it. "You did the world a favor, I owe my life to you Tyler."

The lieutenant smiled, "Someone around here actually knows my name."

"And many more will, General McGoff." Aaron stood back and saluted. Every soldier and scientist followed suit, the entire human army displaying obeisance for their new leader.

"What are you doing? I can't lead! All I do is sign papers and push pencils."

Commander Pilotte took a step forward. "If I recall correctly, it was your command that saved mankind there at the Day of Judgement when this coward fled the field. We all owe you our lives, sir."

McGoff took it all in, by right of succession it was his duty to take command of Greenewell after the death of his superior. "Alright, I accept. But I will need some advisers."

Pilotte nodded. "That can be arranged, General."

"And as my first act, I call on Dr. Patterson and Dr. Mcentyre to discuss our next move."

*******************************************************************************

Celestia took a path few if any had ever tread, a hidden cave to the heart of the mountain upon which Canterlot was built. Her hooves rang against the cold stone, the air still and ancient. But she would need to go deeper, for the communion required her to be as deep as possible. Her white lit horn led the way, lighting the darkness of the earth's bones. She came to a stop, before her sat a great geode and the end of her path. Celestia gathered her will and magic, sending forth a tendril of her being into the great crystal. "Mother." she whispered.

The stone flared to life, through great exertion, the Earth Mother had answered her daughter's call. The green glow of the Earth's magic graced the inside of the crystal. Celestia sent her thoughts through the link between herself and The Mother.

Mother, we are failing. Luna is overcome by some kind of curse and something feeds on the souls of the humans.

The Mother could not speak, but instead conveyed her will through emotions. Celestia felt anger, frustration and sorrow emanating from the stone.

I don't know what to do Mother. We tried as hard as we could to establish harmony, but nothing has worked. We need you to help us.

Comfort, reassurance, and love issued forth. But also cleverness and what felt like an idea.

What is it? What is killing the humans? How can we stop it and the humans from destroying harmony?

A brilliant wave surged through the ethereal link, The Mother spoke directly to her soul.

Kindness, Generosity, Loyalty, Honesty, Laughter, and Magic. They are my gift to you Celestia, together they are a force more powerful than any evil. Together they are the true Elements of Harmony.

The link dimmed, but Celestia still had many questions. "Mother, wait!"

What is killing the humans?

An image appeared in her mind, a twisted monster born of black magic who hungered for chaos and unbalance, who even now consumed the souls of thousands of humans. A word followed, a single word whose meaning was the antithesis of her being.

"Discord." she whispered. From the geode six stones began to form, perfectly round with symbols on them. They did not fall to the floor, but gently floated to Celestia. "The Elements of Harmony."

***************************************************************************

Well, that ties up alot of the things that were plot holes or seemed incomplete. As usual, post any questions, observations, or comments below. I feel as though Discord killing humanity is a much preferable alternative to the ponies doing it, and hope you feel the same. Love and tolerate, bronies.