• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 7,230 Views, 406 Comments

Caring for a Changeling - alexanderhunt88



A kind mare cares for an angry changeling who had smashed into her house, but she sees something deeper that lies inside him.

  • ...
43
 406
 7,230

Chapter 10: Talk from a changeling

The changeling, still with no name (it will come up later I swear), was cautiously, or at least what he called cautiously, was marching up the stairs.

The last time he saw Fruit Heart was when she headed up the stairs of her home in a huff, angry at him. That was yesterday, and he hadn't seen her since. He didn't know why, but a part of him told him to stay where he was and give her time to herself. And he did just so. For the night he slept downstairs and woke up not even an hour ago.

Though when they returned yesterday it was around 4pm. Kinda left him bored for long while. And hungry.

But for now he didn't care about those things. He for now cared only for one thing and one thing only: giving that mare a piece of his mind.

He was annoyed. After she left to have time to gather her thoughts, the changeling essentially did the same. He thought about why he was so confused at himself. He didn't believe what he did yesterday was genuinely wrong, he did not see it himself, but a part of him, a nagging, annoying part right in the back of his mind told him he did something wrong. Something.

And he was now 90% sure that he hit the back of his head when he crashed into the ponies home.

But more importantly than that, he blamed all this on the mare. It was her fault he felt so bad about himself. It was her fault for allowing him to be brought along and meet a pony who forced food down his mouth. And it was her fault for leaving him downstairs and hungry without any knowledge on how food works.

And he was pissed.

So, after a nights rest on the couch, and a while for him to remember what specific words he was going to say to her, he walked up the stairs and made his way to the bedroom.

The changeling inhaled briefly as he brought his holed hoof, his brow furrowed and his breathing sharp, he knocked twice on the door and called out "Mare. Mare. Open thy door I doth need to speak to thou."

No answer. Buck that was annoying. More annoying as what he read yesterday.


Some time after Fruit Heart disappeared upstairs

The changeling was bored. Really bored. The kind of bored that leaves a pony (or changeling) too become curios of everything around them. Sitting on the couch, he glanced around, looking at the kind of things the earth pony kept in her home. A painting on the wall of a bowl of fruit. Two crates, or boxes, on top of a rug. A bookcase loaded with books. That garnered his interest. He remembered the bookcase almost toppling down on top of the mare, and his quick instincts and reflexes saved her from being crushed. "Damn mare" he said "should have just let her be crushed." Upon saying those words he started to rub the middle of his throat as a unknown pain found itself hitting that spot. "Huh. Saying that leaves my with a bad feeling in my throat."

Moving off the sofa and towards the bookcase, he examined the contents and read the covers. One certain titled caught his attention; as it read Ye Olde Loveth. Already gaining his attention, believing it spoke it's own language, the changeling took the book out and started to read it.

After a while of reading something he had no idea about why or what he is reading (yes he can read, and don't go calling it convenience he isn't an idiot, just ignorant) he put the book down and thought for a few seconds until he figured something.

"Hole on thy minute. Art thou telling me that in this pony culture Thy means your? Thy does not mean thy?"

He threw thew book away in anger.

"I doth feel lied to." He said solemnly.


Back to normal time

"Mare." The changeling almost shouted, annoyed due to lack of response.

Again, no answer.

"Oh screw thy then." He huffed before holding his hoof up and pressing to the door. "If thy art being stubborn, so shall I."

His body tensed as he was ready to slam the door open.

Then un-tensed for a brief few seconds to say "I mean 'Thou art being stubborn'. Stupid book confuse doth me." The last sentence he said rather quietly.

Using his might, the changeling threw the door open stomped into the room.

"Mare. Mare." He ordered her to answer, but ultimately stopped when he saw her not on the bed, or even awake, but instead lying on the floor, head resting on a pillow and her body turned away from the door.

"Mare." He called to her again. "I doth need to speak to thou." He said as he walked towards Fruit Heart.

"Art thou listening to me?" He asked her as he stopped just before her. Leaning over her, he pulled his hoof up over and around her chest area, and upon touching her he rolled her over so she was facing up.

And then he noticed she was sleeping. But that wasn't the only thing he noticed. He also noticed that was a wet area resonating from underneath her eyes, her skin damp.

She had been crying. And the changeling picked this up.

"Is she....doth she been crying?"

He sat down next to her. Sighing. It was then he noticed that by her side, laid out was picture frame. Pulling his hoof around he grabbed the picture and took a good look at it. In the picture he saw two ponies: one was a young earth pony foal, with a tan body and yellow mane; which he almost instantly recognized as a young Fruit Heart. Alongside the smiling foal was an older unicorn stallion, with white skin color. But the thing that stood out the most of him was that he was wearing golden armor: the same kind that the changeling remembered was worn by the guards that protected the city. This older pony...could he be...her father? She never said anything about thy before.

He stole a glance towards the sleeping mare beside her. I'm starting to feel terrible towards thou. Doth it be that stallion? Why? I doth not know anything about him.

He sighed sadly.

But thy oddly do.

He turned away from her. "Why, no matter, how angry thy am at thou, whenever I see you, thy can't stay mad. This doth not make any sense."

"But yet...thy...thy likes to have thou around." He turned back towards her, looking down at her calm face, listening to her slow breathing, and tentatively pulling a loose strand away from her closed eyelids and then proceeded to caress her damp cheeks with his hoof, doing so for a few moments mindlessly until he stopped and realized.

"And why art thy doing this?" He looked at his own hoof, the same he stroked her with. "Doing this feels so foreign...and yet so natural. Like it feels so right. This should not feel natural...but it does. It...does."

The changeling just sat there for a few minutes, doing nothing but sitting there and staring at her, reading her breaths.

"Thou art an odd one, art thou?" He said suddenly towards her. "Doth that be why I feel glad to see thou around? Or is it just other reasons I'm unsure of."

"Thou art not very intelligent either." He observed plainly. "Thou didn't even sleep in thy own bed. Thou have a perfectly good sleeping furniture right next to thou but thou instead opted to sleep on thy floor. Thou can be really dumb."

Shaking his head gently, the changeling, without uttering a single word, stepped over the still sleeping earth pony and moved to the bed, where he then grabbed the bed's sheet with his hoof and pulled it over itself, then turned around and, gently so as to not awaken the mare, as a part of him told him he shouldn't, and pushed his hoofs underneath her, pulling her up and placing her on the bed, then turning back round he grabbed the pillow the mare was previously resting on and put it under her head. After that he simple pulled the bed sheet back down on top of her.

After staring at her for a few seconds, feeling a sense of, what he could only call pride, though, he was sure there was more to it than that, he grabbed the picture that was sitting on the floor and placed it on the side drawer next to the bed.

After he was finished, the changeling, for the final time, stopped and took a long stare at her, then surprising to himself, smiled at her. and then said "Don't ever change, Fruit Heart. Thou art perfectly fine as thou are."

Turning away, the changeling started his walk out of the room, muttering Thou should not change for any under his breath, finding himself pretty fine with...practically everything there was to be OK with at the moment.

"Hmmm." Called out a slow sound which stopped him dead in his tracks. Turning round, the changeling saw the sleeping mare sleeping no more. Fruit Heart was sitting up from the bed, looking straight forward was half-open eyes. He watched her tentatively rub at her eyelids, mumbling to herself something inaudible before she stopped and looked down at her bed cover, then downwards towards the floor, on the spot where she slept last night on, then moved her eyes to see the changeling staring back at her. She looked back again to the sheet that covered back to the changeling, her not-fully-awakened mind processing what he'd done to her.

"Did you...?" She asked him as she held up the bed cover's, her half question making sense to him as he got what she asked him. The changeling briefly nodded his head to signal yes.

"Oh...OK thanks I guess." She said slowly, after the sounds of hoof steps filled the room as the changeling started to walk away.

"Wait." She said stopping him. He did just so as he stared, not for the first or probable last ever time, at her.

"Look," she started, her gaze unable to meet his own, "I...just wanted to say I shouldn't have yelled at you. I didn't think about your own reasons before my own. And, and I wanted to apologize for-"

"Don't." He suddenly interrupted her impassively. "Thou hath nothing to apologize for."

Fruit Heart said nothing in return, surprised at how truly considerate he was being to her, instead going for staring deep into his single, sole eye, then smiled down at him before getting off the bed. "Thank you." She said in reply.

Walking up to him she stopped as she was alongside him.

"Are you hungry?" She asked him kindly, giving him a honest smile. He nodded briefly.

"Would you like me to make you some soup?" He nodded again.

"Would you want the same kind I made you before?" Again he nodded.

"Well then." She began as started to walk out the room. "Come with me, I will make you some breakfast then." The changeling a second later in tow, trotting alongside her.

Never change, my dear mare Fruit Heart, never change.