• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 1,056 Views, 27 Comments

Fallen Star Swirl - Barrobroadcaster



Princess Twilight Sparkle recieves an unexpected visit from somepony that puts her recent coronation into dispute and threatens to change her perspective of both magic and friendship forever.

  • ...
3
 27
 1,056

Remember

Twilight, Star Swirl and Spike set out for Canterlot early that morning. Rainbow Dash swung by to see Twilight about flying as they set out for the train station. She was a tad disappointed at first but understood once Twilight informed her of the situation.

"Okay, hold on. If he's Star Swirl 'the bearded', where is 'the bearded' part?" Rainbow asked, examining the unicorn. Star Swirl's eyes dropped to the ground as she asked the question. He didn't resemble the legendary sorcerer pony he was known as. In fact, he looked much younger than he was depicted. Whether it was because he lacked the beard he was known for or not, Twilight didn't know. This Star Swirl seemed to be no older than Twilight despite the fact he must've been at least over a thousand, if Twilight was to believe her books. Or, his books.

"That's... a long story." Twilight told Rainbow. The pegasus decided not to ask any more. "So, when you're done with whatever it is you're doing at Canterlot, then will you come fly with me?" she asked, hopeful.

"Of course Rainbow." Twilight assured her. "Just as soon as we get things sorted out about Star Swirl's spell, I'll come back and fly with you all day."

"Awesome! I'll catch you later than Twilight." she said as she flew off. "Nice meeting you Star Swirl the not-bearded!" she called back as she soared into the distance.

"She seems nice." Star Swirl said, looking back over his shoulder as they walked.

"Rainbow Dash is the most loyal friend anypony could ask for." Spike said.

Star Swirl was quiet for a moment again. "I never really had time for friends. I was always working on new types of magic, new spells, trying to improve ponies' lives."

Once again, one of Star Swirl's statements had struck a chord with Twilight. "I was like that too a few years ago. Studying was my only real passion. If I hadn't met Rainbow Dash and our friends..." Twilight trailed off as she looked over at Star Swirl. The ending to her unfinished statement hung in the air in between them: I would be just like you.

The three of them were quiet as they took Twilight Sparkle's balloon to Canterlot. It was still early in the morning when they arrived at the castle. Custodian ponies were still cleaning up from the coronation ceremony yesterday as they walked through the courtyard. Spike stayed behind to watch the balloon while Twilight and Star Swirl went to see the Princess.

"So much has changed. But the castle still seems the same." Star Swirl said as he looked around. Twilight tried to imagine what Canterlot must've looked like in his time as they walked into the castle and made their way to the throne room.

"My most faith-erm, Princess Twilight! It's good to see you this morning!" Princess Celestia said as she saw her enter.

"It's good to see you again too Princess."

"Hello Princess Celestia. It's been a while." Star Swirl said as he stepped out from behind the throne room door.

Celestia's face immediately changed it to one of shock. "Star Swirl? You've... you've returned."

"I heard Twilight finished the miracle cure spell. I uh, I came to see if maybe Twilight and I could share credit for the spell." Star Swirl half-stated, half-asked.

The princess turned and lead them into the throne room. "I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. I have no problems with two of my students sharing credit for the magic but the spell is bound to Twilight."

Twilight's eyes went wide. "Two of your students? That would mean..."

Star Swirl stopped. "I don't understand. How can the magic be 'bound' to her? Half of the spell is mine."

"She completed and cast the spell Star Swirl. It's bound to her and her magic alone. Others will be able to cast it but like your spells..."

The unicorn shook his head in disbelief. "But half of the spell is still mine! That should've been MY coronation yesterday, I've waited so long and-"

"My student Star Swirl." Celestia interjected in a firm but caring tone. "I know what you really want. I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do. The spell is Twilight's now."

Star Swirl was furious. "I wrote half of that spell! I wrote the entire book except for the half of that one spell! I should get something for that, something at least-"

The princess put a hoof on Star Swirl's shoulder. "You will earn your wings eventually. It is good to see you again." she consoled him.

He looked back up with tears in his eyes. "It's been so long. I worked on that spell for so long and it's just, to have her finish it so easily, it's, it's..."

"It's not fair." Twilight spoke up. "But there's nothing we can do Star Swirl. I'm sorry."

"I... I...", Star Swirl began to say. He clutched a hoof to his chest and collapsed to the floor, overwhelmed. His horn glowed blue with magical power. Twilight ran over to him as he twitched on the floor.

"So long... so long..." he said as he quivered. Twilight noticed something strange as he shook. His cutie mark, a swirling galaxy with a star in the middle, somehow it flashed and reversed. His horn crackled and sparks shot fourth. The air in the throne room began to whip around them as if pushed by some magical force.

"What's happening to him?!" Twilight asked.

"That was my destiny! That was my destiny!" The blue energy poured over Star Swirl enveloping him in a dark blue light. His beard grew back, clothes appeared around him and he changed to fit the description of the old Star Swirl the Bearded seen in the books. The light around him exploded in a flash sending Twilight and Celestia smashing against the walls of the throne room. Star Swirl the Bearded descended slowly as the room filled with shimmering blue sparkles.

"I am Star Swirl the Bearded and today I take my rightful place as ruler of Equestria!" he announced.

"What is happening? What is going on?" Twilight Sparkle asked. Before Celestia could answer, Star Swirl turned on the ruler. A blue beam shot out of his head aimed at the Princess. Celestia's own magic leapt from her horn and captured the blue boom, enveloping it in a bright aura and sending it into the ground. It exploded, scouring the air with dust and debris.

"Why are you doing this?! Stop fighting!" Twilight ran out to Star Swirl. He turned his head to her and blasted her with his horn. Twilight skidded back to the wall, dazed by the blast.

"Usurper of my power! Your borrowed time is at an end!" Star Swirl advanced on her with his horn glowing. "I shall now take back what is rightfully mine, starting with the gift of flight!" Celestia leapt on him from above with her own horn glowing. Two magical shields appeared between the two combatants, Star Swirl turned to engage Celestia. They slammed into each other, horns glowing and barriers flashing as they collided. The palace around them shook.

"Twilight! Get to the Canterlot Library! Use the time spell!" Celestia told her as the two struggled. Sparks showered the floor around them as the two shields grinded against each other. Star Swirl bore down on Celestia, his teeth gritted and his face twisted into visage of pure rage.

"The time spell? But..." Twilight was frozen as she watched the two battle. Half of her body telling her to run, the other priming her to defend the princess, her own hooves shook as the castle around them vibrated.

"I studied under your mother too my teacher. You cannot resist me forever."

"Go Twilight! Now!"

Twilight did as she was told. She flew out of the castle as fast as her new wings would take her. She turned a corner out of the throne room and headed back to the entrance as the castle shook again. Shock waves reverberated through the walls. Paintings and decorations fell as the battle between the two magical titans threatened to bring the palace down around them. Twilight turned again as a chandalier fell in front of her. She just barely flew underneath it as it hit the floor. She took one last turn and flew towards the entrance. The doors were closed. It only just occured to Twilight that while flying seemed to come naturally, at this split second, this one faithful moment in time, this one instance now, she did not know how to stop.

"Oh, no no no no no no NO!" Twilight crashed into the door. The force of her impact caused it to slowly slide open. She slid to the ground and massaged her temple. Spike ran over to her.

"Twilight! Are you okay? What's going on? Where's Star Swirl?" he asked.

Twilight brushed herself off"There's no time to explain Spike! We have to get to the library and get the time spell! Get on!" Spike carefully mounted Twilight. She took to the sky and flew to the library. The two of them approached the library rapidly. Too rapidly. Twilight was aiming straight for the window. Again, the realization hit her that the knowledge to halt her forward momentum elluded her.

"Oh no. No no no not again!" Spike pulled back on her mane sharply and Twilight's wings spread out as she recoiled. Functioning as something of an airbreak, they stopped and Twilight flapped slower to keep them aloft.

"Thanks Spike." Twilight said, catching her breath. Spike nodded and brushed some sweat off his forehead. They entered the library through the window. Qucikly, they made their way to the time spell section. They heard rumbles in the distance. Outside the library, the sky grew dark.

"So what's going on Twilight?" Spike asked as they ran.

"Star Swirl's gone mad. He attacked the princess!"

"He attacked the princess?!"

Twilight stopped and began examining the books in a nearby shelf. "He's obsessed with that spell! I don't know what's going to happen. The princess told me to use the the time spell!"

"But I thought the time spell was too limited. And doesn't it usually just cause whatever you're trying to fix?" Spike asked.

"I don't know Spike! She just told me to use the time spell... here it is!" Twilight pulled out a book and turned the pages to the time spell itself. Like most of the other books, it had been written by Star Swirl the bearded.

"What time are we supposed to go to? Princess Celestia didn't tell me what time to go to! She didn't have time! Yesterday, last month, last year... what time is it now even?!" Twilight shouted, exasperated. "I know! I'll go back to yesterday and stop myself from becoming a princess!"

"But won't that leave your friends..."

Twilight groaned in nervous frustration. "What time then?! Maybe we should go back to five minutes ago and ask her!"

Spike pulled out the spellbook they brought with them. "Maybe she meant this time." Spike suggested. At the back of the book was Star Swirl's miracle spell. Spike turned it over. A note had been scrawled on the back of the page, a date. The floor beneath them began to shake. "I noticed it last night."

Twilight looked at the date. "Spike, this must be what she meant! It's the date Star Swirl stopped working on the spell!"

A pair of books fell off the shelves around them. "What are you going to do? Go back and help him complete it?" Spike asked.

"I don't know what I'm going to do! But... we have to try something!" Twilight cast the spell as more books fell from the shelves around them. The floor, walls and ceilings of the library shook with a world-ending force as a bright light engulfed both Twilight and Spike. In a flash, they were gone as the Canterlot Library collapsed.

Author's Note:

Star Swirl's lines remind me somewhat of Saren/Sovreign's last lines in the original Mass Effect. "I am Sovreign! And this station is mine!"