• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,467 Views, 356 Comments

Politics - Dai Kirai



It has been a year since the portal connecting Earth and Equestria formed. Embassies have been set up and formal relations have been opened. But can the two sides keep the peace when everybody has their own agenda?

  • ...
37
 356
 3,467

Moving Day

Author's Note:

Does anyone know of a good place to get a coverart from? Have a few new stories coming out soon and have no art.

The fact that people are complaining about both sides makes me really happy. Not sure I will clear up why later.

Also, the reason two large powerful countries rarely go to war with each other is it can damage them both to rather large levels. But, especially during Imperial times, they would gladly attack the more savage countries. What would have happened though if one of those weaker countries was the same strength?

And what is up with people thinking everything is supposed to be perfectly rational? I was recently talking to a history prof and the discussion turned to the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand by the Black Hand, a group that wanted Serbian independence. But the Archduke was actually the one most likely to get them that very thing. Rationality is a funny and very rare thing. I can remember my entire senior English class was on the topic of head versus heart and how one came to decisions. How many people become English majors despite knowing job prospects (granted that one is maligned a bit unfairly). How many people party or don't do their work first thing, what is logical?

Another thing is the idea on if people can ever be truly impartial. Nope, because you carry your past with you. It would be so easily to insult so many political parties right now. But going so far as to define good and evil. Guns and homosexuality are prime examples. This ties in with what is rational. With both of these there are so many examples. Not meant as a rant or anything. Well, maybe. A person in my class can't understand how a Buddhist Priest could get married or imbibe alcohol, and alcohol is believed to bring you closer to the gods. Just thoughts from classes. Having to craft arguments for and against the Japanese Educational System. Also had fun looking at electric flower cars

Updates will still be slow as I had to travel to Texas to help a friend and have a thesis and other prep to work on.

6/21/14 12:00pm Canterlot

Lyra sat atop a chartreuse cushion next to Princess Luna in Canterlot, in a small off white conference room. Save for the table in front of them and the pillows it was empty, not even Lunar Guards were allowed in the room.

Lyra looked at the list Luna was making as well as some blueprints and a single doodle of an opossum. “The biggest problem will be holding them on this side. They can’t just be thrown into a cell. The need socialization with other humans, an ability to shower every day, some sor-“

“Every day? Preposterous. They should wash away their own scent markers?” The Princess tilted her head to the smaller unicorn.

Lyra thought of her own experiences with cleaning. It was done very rarely for a pony and only if dirt became embedded or they got covered in something. Or if you want to remove all scent from your body because you are tracking down changelings. “Certain groups of humans yes. It is required for cultural acceptance to smell and look a certain way. Some even shower three times a day.”

“We should like to see more on this. What other things do humans need?” Luna scratched out more letters on her parchment.

“Food is the most important. They eat many things ponies do except for hay and grasses, instead they eat meats which have to be cooked. It can be substituted with plant proteins.”

“Unless we bring in griffons to cook and hunt the meat it will have to be.”

Lyra looked at the Princess of the Night, so much different than her sister. Where Celestia was calm and serene with a gentle smile, Luna looked more severe with a scowl and upturned nose, more aloof and proper.

“They can’t be alone. Humans have tried that on each other and it makes them go feral. They also need mental stimulation like games or books.” Lyra was reading off of her own list based off her own observations of the past two years and what humans had of themselves.

“What risks can they pose of escape?” The diagrams on her paper grew.

“That may be an issue.” Lyra paused rubbing her leg. “They do not like being confined and will actively seek escape. They can even use clothing to fashion weapons or may try to kill themselves if things seem bad enough.”

“Is that why you visit Anthony so often?” There was a glimmer in the alicorn’s eye. Luna’s face was pointing at her paper, but the eye was focused on the unicorn.

How much of this is my fault? The anthropologist asked herself. “They should be transported in groups to the prison, preferably bound and under heavy guard. They will try to escape.” Lyra felt her spirits falling.

“How would thy deter escapes?”

“They are determined and military ones stick together so informants won’t work. If you treat them kindly you could gain some help, but it could be a ruse to lower your guard.” They are sneaky and can change appearances faster than a changeling. “And you have to be careful with threats as that can give them a sense of purpose, yet without purpose they can lose their spirit.”

Luna nodded thoughtfully. “Very much like certain creatures here.”

Lyra felt a nudge against her side; she had to fight to stay upright.

“Thou should go to thine marefriend. We have an idea what to do and can discuss it with our Lunar Guards.”

Lyra gave a thankful nod and looked down at her papers and left them there as she could see no more use for those ones. Lyra had been in a daze all day, planning for this meeting. It’s not wrong. But it feels it. War is preferable to some kinds of peace, if that peace is the constant threat of violence it would be no different than being used as cattle for changelings.

Lyra had the chariot take her home, to 314 Stirrup Street, the flight happening in what seemed like a blink of the eye to the mint unicorn. The heavenly aroma of home cooking greeted her as she strode through the door. The unicorn quickly found a cream colored earth pony mare in the kitchen with a fresh tray of sweets on the counter, her cobalt blue and fuchsia mane tied back.

Lyra nuzzled the earth pony. “Don’t you have work today?” She asked, stepping out of the way as the mare set to melting chocolate in a double stacked pan.

“Sweetie Drops has the shop today.” Lyra tried to object, but was cut off. “My sister will be fine. Besides, I wanted to be here for that claw delivered letter.” Bon Bon gave the unicorn a wink.

“It Came?!” Lyra jumped up. “Is it good news?” She enthused, bouncing in place. This may finally make some progress!

“Maybe.” Bon Bon said around a spatula, shaking her tail to a beat only she could hear.

Lyra quickly found the letter on the table, the wax seal still in place. She picked it up in her magic, ripping the letter in her excitement. Reading it twice just to make sure.

“SQUEEE!!!” Lyra ran up to her marefriend, bouncing the whole way. “He said yes! We will be going tomorrow!!!”

“Lyra.” Bon Bon giggled, placing her hooves on the unicorn’s shoulders. “Just don’t get your hopes up too high. Even if this works it will take time.”

6/22/14 Ponyville, Ambassador’s Home

Anthony milled about the living room, reshelving books and trying to find something to do, his things were being returned after some pony had decided they didn’t prove a threat. The television didn’t work even if he cared to watch it and outside of the unicorn visiting every other day, he had been left alone so long as he didn’t try to leave. If he needed something he was to tell his guards and they would bring it to him.

He looked at the boxes of stuff, most from Earth, most of it now useless. What use is Arabic in this world? Or Russian? Those books and tales he shoved onto the far side of the shelves. At the bottom of the box sat a leather bound album, a picture of himself in a tuxedo and Aiko in a white dress. The album was his idea, she never liked it and now it was just more junk. He flipped through the book, feeling his emotions roar. The thing that had always made him smile now angered him.

Anthony closed the photo album and with one hand on the spine chucked it at the nearest wall where it fell open. Off he went, pacing through the house. Another thing I will never see again! The ex-diplomat sat in a green chair and breathed, back straight. Focus on the now. He told himself.

The front door rattled as a hoof knocked against it. The linguist’s first reaction was to yell, to tell whoever it was to go away, to leave him alone. It won’t work, you know who it is. The same pony it always is. All she wants is to help. He tried to remind himself. This is no one’s fault, this is the way of the world.

Another set of knocks rattled the door, these ones more urgent.

Anthony knew the door wasn’t locked and so did Lyra. What can I defend against with a door lock? The Lunar Princess? Pissed guards? “What? You actually want to knock this time?” He called out from the chair, not moving, his voice cracked trying to add a laugh in there.

“That was one time.” Lyra called back as she opened the door, something purple on the ground behind her.

“Twice.” Anthony corrected, holding up two figures. “Lest you forget last week.” He saw her take the room in, it was pointless to try and hide things, she had already seen him at what he hoped was his worst. He also saw her eyes linger on the leather object.

“Are you really going to count that one? You weren’t responding-“

“I was in the shower!”

“I know that now.”

“And you wanted to interview me more!”

“It was productive.” Lyra’s grin went from ear to ear.

Clever. He realized her ploy. He sat there a little easier as the mint mare and the small dragon moved closer.

“I came like I promised.” The small reptile grumbled. “What did you want?”

Anthony knew who the dragon was, he wish he didn’t having trouble looking at the dragon. Change gears. Why would she bring Spike? What do I know? Ersatz child of Twilight Sparkle, works at the town library, and had a thing for Rarity. That last hurt.

“I was hoping to borrow some books from the library, but I can’t leave this house yet.” Anthony saw the dragon’s stolid expression and crossed arms. Lyra who stood behind the dragon gave a subtle nod. “Learn something about my new home.” The place I am stuck in. He corrected himself, but couldn’t say. “Maybe something on obscure unicorn history, you are welcome to borrow any books I have here.”

Spike’s eyes lit up, calculations running behind his eyes. His voice came out squeaky, “Only if you write up a summary of it.” The dragon’s hands were now folded in front of him.

“I can do you one better.” Anthony offered, mimicking how Isao talked to his kids, lowering down to better look into the young one’s eyes. “I can write you up a summary with analysis of every chapter.

The dragon popped up like a spring and ran forward to take Anthony’s hand.

How much is this really helping? ”On one condition.” He heard his own voice, sterner than he intended. There were plenty of things he could no longer stand, and at least one pony he could help. “Any books down here you can add to the library’s shelves and you take that,” he pointed to a stuffed black dog on a shelf, “To…” He had to take a moment to remember the foal’s name, it was hard with everything going on. “Sweetie Belle.”

“I don’t know.” Spike replied, taking a hesitant step back.

“It has already been checked by the guards. You can have whatever tests you run on it.” Anthony reassured, getting up and grabbing the toy. “It was a gift from when I was a child and broke my leg.” Taking it over to Spike and lowering himself down. “I was told it was there to protect me, and it should do the same for her. I know she could use it right now.” He couldn’t meet the dragon’s eyes but felt a gentle grip remove it from his hands.

“It wouldn’t hurt to check it out.”

Anthony heard claws clicking on the floor. “Why don’t you take that to get checked and bring back that book?” Lyra asked.

“Right away.” Spike called as he ran for the door.

Anthony looked back up as the door closed, he saw Lyra back at the book. “How did your plan work?”

“Mhhhm.” Lyra said back, not really listening.

“Did you ask her yet?” Anthony sat on the ground. This should get a reaction.

Pictures fell to the floor as the mare jerked her head back, voice a few octaves higher than normal. “What?!”

“Did you ask Bon Bon yet?” Anthony watched her jaw go slack, her body stiffen.

“Umm.” Lyra stared into the distance. She looked about the room, trying to keep her back to him. “Do you mind if I take some of these pictures with me? Taking them to the prison since they are being moved soon.”

“They are being moved?!” His hands hit the floor.

“Luna didn’t tell you?”

Anthony saw Lyra eyeing the distance to the door. And relaxed his posture which did nothing for the pony.

“I think I left the stove on.” Lyra galloped for the door with his pictures. “See you tomorrow!” And she was gone.

“What is going on?” Anthony asked out loud, leaning back to rest against the chair. Lyra is always flighty but never like that and Luna hasn’t stopped by in a while.

6/24/14 10:00am Bridal Lake

Avery jingled the chains against his wrists and ankles, the cold metal pressing against his skin. Victor, Isao, and Aiko similarly chained and all kept separate. Easier to separate us and keep us from attacking in a group. Each was surrounded by five armed guards, their armor something unique that looked like a golden medieval knight on a pony. He doubted being able to take them out with anything less than a fully automatic machine gun.

It wasn’t just the guards leading them, expecting him to stay between the guards but they didn’t force it, there were additional guards along their route catching a glimpse of another human being led away with fewer guards. The village had started being rebuilt, half the damage had already been removed. That is some fast building, less than two weeks.

Avery had already been told where they were going, Equestria. They must not have figured out how we got in and are worried about a rescue. Or they are preparing a trial already. There was a lone ‘warehouse’ he could barely see, a set of tracks leading to the warehouse did not bode well, the pattern looked familiar. No one they came across was speaking, everything had a somber tone with a hint of animosity.

Avery looked back at the other three. Isao was watching everything, cataloguing what he saw, working to keep the other two separate. Victor moved along like he had no care in the world which Avery knew to be untrue. While Aiko had such a glower, the commander was surprised she had the same number of guards as he did. Just need to keep them safe, gather intel about the other side, figure out a means of escape. We need to figure out what happened to the Embassy staff.

His heart-rate increased as they entered the research facility, the place was empty of computers, machines, additional ponies except their guards and a looming alicorn. He felt the haft of a spear softly nudge him in his back. They are being too gentle. Are they just wanting cooperation? The guards led him to the portal, standing to the side, not moving with him.

Avery stepped up to the pool of standing water. Taking a breathe before stepping through; his skin tingled as it passed through the event horizon, stronger than he remembered it feeling. He stumbled on the steps at the other side, a series of silver clad guards and the other alicorn. They are not taking any chances.

Avery stepped down, noticing the stairs were a wooden model, realizing the steps on the other side were wooden as well. That makes communication harder. As he stepped away, four guards surrounded him and had him wait for the others to move through the portal. A flash of white blinded him.

As he opened his eyes he found himself, he didn’t know where. Further out stood two buildings, one low and squat and the other a large partially hidden by trees. “Is it safe so close to the forest?” Avery asked the guards.

“Safe enough.” A guard grunted. “There are ponies living just as close.”

They were led to the small building, the size of a small house and looking like concrete. “Enter.”

A small electrical field charged his body as he entered. Inside were four cells and a single open area. “You will be allowed two guests a day for an hour a piece, one human and one pony, all communications will be proctored. The living room will be for official meetings and questions by officials if they deem it appropriate. Lyra will come in once a week to interview you and you will answer all her questions. Once you pick out your rooms the chains shall be removed.”

Avery moved down the hall, stepping into the first cell, the bars were solid metal but there was some sort of couch and a bed. “Could I get some books to pass the time?”

“A pony will be by later to check on your individual needs. Ask her.” The lead guard who had been speaking, used his magic to release the cuffs from afar and levitated them through the bars after the door was secured.

“Some awfully nice guards I say.” Isao called.

“Orders for your sanity.” The guard replied, removing the last pair of chains.

“Orders from who?” Aiko called sternly, having been placed in the cell across from Avery.

The guard didn’t reply and simply walked out.

At least we have more information. They want to keep us alive which means they don’t plan to kill us. He looked about the room, a simple chair, a bookcase and a bed, not even a light. Plenty of stuff to use as a weapon, unless they are watching which they have already proven capable of. Test them slowly and don’t arouse suspicion.

6/25/14 Undisclosed Facility, Equestria

Yay! Lyra bounced, saddlebag on her hips. This can work; I can show that it’s all a misunderstanding! That humans and ponies can get along. That we are the same in so many ways. Prevent this war from escalating. Prevent…

Lyra finally got to her destination. Two guards standing outside, a clear magical charge on the door. The guards looked at her and physically opened the door.

She felt the magic as she went through the doorframe, felt the teleportation magic move her and damped her magic. It was a subtle thing, this magic and Lyra almost missed what it did to her. She had no idea where she was, not even able to gather enough magic to do anything more advanced than basic telekinesis. She understood why and was kicking herself for not expecting it. This is the human’s location, it would be secret, it would be neigh impossible for them to escape even with help, and any visitors could still perform basic tasks. The teleportation is fine enough, I could also remove items from bags.

Lyra passed the anteroom and moved back toward the cells. None of the humans paid her any attention; she did notice one looked directly at her then turned his attention away. “Are you all doing okay?” Lyra asked, looking at the humans.

“It beats the Hanoi Hilton.” Avery replied laconically.

“And Leavenworth.” Victor had clear relief in his voice.

Lyra decided not to voice her confusion about the places. “I wanted to see if you needed anything.” It was more disconcerting than she was expecting, at least one was always out of her view. The mare set the bag down with her magic and opened up the flaps, pulling small articles out, happy everything was still there.

“I couldn’t bring you much,” Lyra admitted. “But I did try. I had to get this out of the Embassy for you Avery, it’s one of your books.” She levitated the small black and white comic over to him. Maybe some Marevelous Comic’s Power Ponies.

Avery grabbed the book. “Thanks.” And set it in his lap, watching her work.

Next Lyra pulled out a photo and levitated it to Aiko, she floundered for words while moving it through the bars. Why am I doing this? Who am I trying to help? Is this meant to be a test? To keep her strong? She looked at the two books in her bag for the two she never really understood, wondering if she should have given those ones first.

Aiko took the picture out of the air, stared at it blankly for a few seconds. “Is this supposed to mean something to me? A photo?” Her forehead furrowed, head moving side to side. “You can keep it.” She crumpled up the photo and tossed it at the pony like so much trash.

The photo landed at Lyra’s hooves.

6/26/14 Earth

The speaker on his radio hissed, followed by a series of beeps everyone knew.

“This is the Emergency Alert System with an important message from the President of the United States.”

“On June 6th the Earth was hit by a Coronal Mass Emission that Equestria has since taken credit for. Power systems across the nation and neighboring countries were blown out or overloaded. They used this to attack major military bases like Nellis which have yet to be heard from, claiming this was retaliation for an attack by the United States government on their soil which was perpetrated by a terrorist group that had been working within the Embassy.”

“Power is being returned as quickly as possible with supplies being shipped in from around the world with every country sending what they can while we get a better understanding of the current situation. It will be months before every system can be repaired.”

“Hospitals were hit the worst with vital lifesaving equipment being destroyed while most major cities had major traffic fatalities from shorted out cars and traffic signals and lights. The death toll is estimated at over two hundred thousand lives lost and the number may increase to millions as reports come in from not just this country, but the world.”

“This is now a war on US soil and citizens west of the Rocky Mountains are advised to stay indoors. Military recruiters will be open twenty four hours a day in major cities.”

“This message will be broadcast nonstop with updates. Please inform your neighbors.”

6/26/14 Celestia’s Room, Temporary Equestrian Embassy, Earth

“Are you sure about letting aid through?” One of her aides asked. “Weapons will slip through and it will only encourage rebels. We have nowhere near enough ponies to watch even one city.”

“That is precisely why they must be let through, Green Leaf.” Celestia shifted her gaze from the aide to the myriad of reports on her table. Her bedroom had been cleaned, but not yet fixed, the better to remind herself and her ponies what they fought for. “What will happen to the citizens if food and medicine are cut off?”

“They will go hungry and get sick?” The aide was obviously unsure of her own answer.

“They will die and their loved ones will blame us. They already do.” She moved the casualty estimates to another part of the table, the figures were only vaguely useful as they were the numbers the Unites States were using and could be blown up for sympathy. “But if we feed the poor, or even just safeguard certain parts of certain cities at least some will look up to us and a few may fight for us. At the same time, the United States government will have to devote resources to the same or risk losing more people. It will be a matter of morale and economics.” Eventually some may even request our aid.

“Does that mean products will not leave those states?”

“Correct. These areas manufacture food for the rest of the country.” And it will be only a matter of time before they try something. “People may wish to petition for peace.”

Green Leaf pawed the ground. Celestia tried to remember when that had become such a common mannerism among her ponies. “Do…do you really expect them to turn over their leaders?”

“Neigh. They have no reason to trust us. Some may but not many. This first round is to show we are on equal footing. To make their allies doubt. In time an International Court may try them or their own country in the pursuit of peace.” The Princess of the Sun felt a few last vestiges of hope. They were quickly dying though. Did she want a peaceful solution? She banished the thought; it could only weaken her resolve.

The question lies in how long they wait to attack and when. That must happen soon.