• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,467 Views, 356 Comments

Politics - Dai Kirai



It has been a year since the portal connecting Earth and Equestria formed. Embassies have been set up and formal relations have been opened. But can the two sides keep the peace when everybody has their own agenda?

  • ...
37
 356
 3,467

The informant

Aiko opened her eyes, she was in some sort of hospital room with clean white walls, and one lone window looked out onto a field. She tried to sit but her head began pounding at the slightest movement. She heard the beeping of medical machines and could feel something against her chest, and a tube against her arm. “Uggg.” She closed her eyes, drifting in and out of consciousness.

Aiko woke up again, she was in the same place, sunset starting outside her window.

“Are you feeling any better young one? You had everyone worried.” The voice was melodic and regal, the smile with the voice could be heard clearly.

“What happened?” The last thing Aiko remembered was… fuzzy. “Where am I?”

“Equestria. You got hit pretty badly and had to rush you to the hospital.” The voice was familiar, something royal, something associated with light. “How are you feeling?”

Aiko closed her eyes, swallowing against a dry throat and letting out her breath. A cup floated in front of her with a yellow aura. Aiko gingerly sipped from a straw in the glass, watching as it floated away when done. She let her head fall to the side where a tall winged unicorn sat. Hee, this is some weird dream. She laughed, an unfamiliar feeling followed by tightness in her chest.

No, not a dream, this pain is real and I remember intelligent ponies.

“Take your time. You have been out for a few days; your husband just went home to clean up, he was worried about you. We all have.

Luna? Was that the pony’s name?

No, Celestia.

“We can talk about something else if you prefer.” Celestia offered. “Do you like the army?”

She spoke without thinking, she felt she could trust Celestia, like this was a long lost friend. “It wasn’t bad. A lot of training but was always skilled.” Aiko was tired, she wanted more sleep, there was no pain for now, but she could feel where it would spring up later.

“Wasn’t? Do you not work for them anymore?” Aiko heard genial curiosity.

“No. Work for the CIA.” Something nagged at the back of her mind.

“Are you proud of your job?”

“Yes. I do good work, work not many can do. I have the lowest kill count. Recon. I can get in and out without being seen.” Why am I saying this?

“But that isn’t what happened last time is it? What went wrong?” Aiko didn’t want to disappoint such a friend, not one who was worried about her. There weren’t many people she trusted.

“I don’t know. Something loud went off and I ran. I think it was a gunshot.” She took another sip of water; it had a sweet taste like honey that calmed her mind.

“What was your mission? Why were you in the Embassy?” The voice was so kind and gentle. It was like her mother’s. “What happened?”

“It was a simple mission. Sneak in and…” This is wrong, but why? Aiko looked at the loving face. “A bomb went off; it just shook the building, amazing engineering. Glad all places aren’t like that, would make my job so much harder.” Aiko giggled. Why is this funny? “What did you do to me?”

“We saved your life; you had an accident and suffered a punctured lung. Do you need more painkillers?”

That would be nice. Aiko mused, then stopped. “No, something is wrong. What is it?”

“Nothing is wrong, you were just telling about your mission.” Celestia offered. “How did your accident happen?”

“I was running and there was this unicorn. I needed more firepower but he was faster. I got hit before I could take him down.” Aiko remembered the blast, the guard, the destruction outside the window, the guards she knocked out, the mission. “What did you do to me?” She moved a hand up to her head. Her fingers brushing against a bandage wrapped around her head.

“We just gave you some painkillers and medicine. Just trying to help you. Can you not return the favor?”

Aiko didn’t believe the innocent expression, this was an ancient creature, who knew what it had learned. You can’t stay in power that long by being nice. “No I won’t.” She could feel the chemicals, nothing like sodium pentothal, but she still had training.

“We can still work this out.”

“Ok. We were looking for proof Equestria was not to be trusted. We disagreed with the official policy and decided to take things into our own hands.” Like hell this mission will blow back. ‘If captured it’s your own ass. That’s the way it has to be.’

Celestia lowered her head and sighed. “You are already accused of espionage, murder, the assassination of an Equestrian politician and the attempted murder of its Princess. Do not make it worse by lying to me.”

What!?!? No. “Impossible.”

Celestia’s features grew colder. “Bombs were scattered about Bridal Lake and one was placed to kill me as I left my chambers. You gun was missing five bullets but you only fired three at Shining Armor. Do not make this worse than it needs to be.”

Aiko looked straight at her feet and closed her eyes.

“We have your husband in custody. He will be charged as an accomplice unless you help.”

Aiko gave a feral grin as she laughed, showing her canines. “That’s funny. He was never more than a cover. Just ask my comrades. He provided an easy way into foreign countries.”

6/2/2014 8:14am Equestrian Embassy basement, Earth

Celestia walked out of the specialized room in the basement. Each prisoner was isolated from each other; keep them from talking or supporting each other. She has chosen the weakest one, next was the leader, or who had been the leader of the Human Embassy security. All three rooms were side by side with gaps so they could never communicate outside their cells.

Celestia stepped up to the door, a spot on the side designed for horns and would only open with an impulse of magic or a special gem. The door gave an audible click as it opened and swung inwards, designed to make escape harder. Sitting in the middle of his ten by ten room sat Avery who looked to be doing some kind of meditation. Her hooves clacking on the stone floor. All four walls were white, lit with a single hidden gem for light. The ‘window’ at the back was turned off, a simple illusion spell that could be turned on to give the impression of space or access to the outside world.

“Can I get some books in here?” The human asked without moving, dressed only in underpants and a shirt, even checked by a doctor that they weren’t hiding anymore weapons.

“I don’t see the harm in that,” Celestia offered, “if you can answer a few questions.”

He opened a single eye only to close it again.

“Why did you kill my ponies?” Celestia bluntly, hoping to catch the human off-guard. But he didn’t even twitch. “What did you hope to gain?”

Avery sat stock still.

“Aiko talked, she told us how the President ordered you to plant those devices. She was caught in the act.”

“Do you really care so little about life? Not only your own but that of the innocent or your own countrymen?”

“You know how cold they are, you have seen their news. P.I.P., what they did with your precious stones and all their wars. Not a single one is showing the slightest bit of remorse.”

“There are only so many ways this can end now.” Celestia pleaded, her emotions warring.

“They don’t fear you. We are just prey to them.” The voice laughed, flashing images through her head of ponies wrapped in cocoons to be fed on by changelings.

Avery took a deep breath and let it out slowly; outside of that there was no movement and no sound from him.

Never even asked about his so called friends or the conditions of anypony. Celestia realized as she left the room, pulling the door closed with her magic. Walking over to the last room she opened the door, so far this had been fruitless. Several guards had offered to do this for her, some specializing in questioning others. But this was something she needed to do herself.

Victor laid on the plain white bed, limbs splayed in every direction. He tilted his head back to look at the Princess before staring off at the ceiling. The human gave a halfhearted wave.

“How did you get past the shield?” Celestia asked, not expecting an answer.

“The door was open.”

“Thou dare mocketh me!” She let her outrage show.

“Not at all.” Victor waved his hand up and down. “There was another door in the research building. Built along with the structure that connects to Area 51.” He looked bored.

“We already found it.” Celestia lied, having a good idea where it might be, on the second floor. “I am glad you feel like cooperating. What was your mission here?”

“Plant some listening devices, or what we thought were listening devices.” He answered, sitting up to look at Celestia. “In the Embassy, at special houses around town to get a better idea what ponies were thinking.” He let out a yawn. “There was even one pointed at your room, it was designed to read vibrations off of glass.”

Princess Celestia found the rage building again. They wanted to listen to every conversation? Treat nothing as private? Then why was the bomb for me large enough to blow out the windows? “Why are you cooperating?”

“I assume you mean because the others refuse to talk. I know how this will end, I ain’t going home ever. This was a NOC, my country will disavow all knowledge of my mission and say we went rogue. Probably label us as terrorists. So why shouldn’t I? Its not like any of us have something to return to, that kind doesn't volunteer for this line of work.”

An opportunist, we can use this. “What were those guns, the ones you used on my guards?” Let us see how honest he is though.

“Some sort of anesthetic. The higher ups designed it, different dosages for different types of ponies. Two for Earth and one for pegasi or unicorns.”

“How did they know what dosages to use?” Even in Equestria something like that is incredibly delicate. “What about alicorns?”

“No clue.” Victor shook his head. “That is way above my pay grade. Maybe on those physicals they helped with.”

“How many of you were there?” Can judge his truthfulness by this.

“Four. Me, Avery, Aiko and her brother. He should have escape in the general confusion. That was his orders.”

“Who gave you your orders?”

“Technically the Director of the CIA, but anyone can tell you it was on the orders of Madam President. No one would risk their ass without being covered. This way if he screws the pooch she can pardon him and the Director gets to go free. The only casualties being those of us stuck here.”

Clever. This was thought out and planned for years. Even a family connection right down to the ambassador.

“And not sure how, but I heard Senator Brent made some sort of change last minute. The only one I know of was some things to plant in Rarity’s office. He hated her. Brent figured that with Rarity out of the picture he could get someone more ‘cooperative.’”

“Who is his source?” Celestia ordered.

“The same guy who gave him info on those listening devices for that fancy shindig.” Victor shrugged. “Some guy code named Blueblood. Never heard such a tacky name before.”

“You are sure on that name?” Celestia’s temper had returned to a simmer, she had to be positive of his accusation.

“Positive. I may have bugged and recorded a few of his phone calls.” He replied nonchalantly. “The logs are nice and safe at home.”

“Who planted the bomb outside my room?” And killed my guards.

“Aiko? I don’t know. I was busy in Bridal Lake with Avery setting up what was supposed to be listening devices. But she was the only one in the area and no one else could have known about it.”

“Thank you. I will check out this information.” Celestia gave a polite nod. “If you need anything ask one of the guards.” And pray you don’t ask for anything dangerous. They will never trust you. She mused, closing this door behind her too.

Celestia had gotten some information, most of which would be proven or disproven in the next few days. But the Amicus was less effective than the alicorn had hoped for. It was based off an ancient love poison designed to make the drinker think of the first one they saw as their greatest and oldest friend. Human bodies just broke it down or were resistant to it. Maybe with Luna or access to Kotodama she could get into their minds; however, Luna would have the same issues of human’s nonmagic and Kotodama had gone extinct during NightMare Moon’s attack.

9:02am Celestia’s Bedchamber, Earth

Celestia sat on a new pillow that had been brought in for her, quill and paper at hoof.

Dearest Sister,

Attached is a list of the information gained from the attackers, it is not to be fully trusted. Blueblood is to be arrested immediately on suspicion of sedition and treason. Use whatever methods you deem necessary to prove or exonerate him. He has quite a reputation among the nobility.

How is the situation there?

Love,

Celestia

The Solar Alicorn handed this letter off to one of her guards to deliver and started another.

President Margarette Tow,

I regret to inform you that Bridal Lake was attacked yesterday morning by part of the Embassy staff. They killed several of my citizens as well as Ambassador Rarity before being captured. A meeting as soon as possible to try and save this situation would be advantageous to both parties.

Respectfully Yours,

Princess Celestia of Equestria

This next letter the alicorn placed in a special holder and handed off to a mare with a light blue-grey coat and blonde mane. The wall-eyed mare put the letter gingerly into her saddlebag and disappeared in a flash of yellow magic as Celestia teleported her closer to Washington D.C.

6/2/14 10:59pm Research Building Roof, Earth

Isao swatted away another rat, watching it fall to the ground two floors below and scamper off. He had been waiting for midnight and proper dark to move to inside the building. Pegasi and some strange bat creatures had been flying on patrol all day, sometimes within several dozen feet of his location. This camo really is somethin’. I see why sis likes these guys so much. But no way anything is getting into that place short of an army. The numbers of guards had almost doubled through the portal. Everything the sniper saw he relayed.

The hairs on the back of Isao’s neck raised, that feeling of being watched crept on him again. Every time a rate or guard came close to him this happened; but now it sent a shiver up his spine. Looking around he spotted no annoying rodents.

As carefully as slowly as he could, Isao moves the night vision scope to his eyes and almost instantly regretted it. Turning his head just to make sure, there were at least half a dozen bat things floating around him and blending into the night.

“Command. I have been spotted.” He whispered into the mic, his voice activating the transmitter. “And surrounded.” Isao moved his empty hand and watched as eyes tracked it.

Author's Note:

I heard complaints about the character of Brent and I agree. He is two dimensional and for the longest time I felt that was ok because of the idea of true evil and those who are just greedy and he is. However, I figured out exactly why. :unsuresweetie: which I cannot say yet. But rest assured it will be covered. :scootangel:

I also have the problem of being too smart for my own good (imo), whereas I try to keep everything secret and people guessing but I fail to give enough info as to what is really going on, like Victor being the one who planted the bombs, well...most of them. Next week will be a special side story out of order but it should give some better hints as to why things aren't meshing.