• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,467 Views, 356 Comments

Politics - Dai Kirai



It has been a year since the portal connecting Earth and Equestria formed. Embassies have been set up and formal relations have been opened. But can the two sides keep the peace when everybody has their own agenda?

  • ...
37
 356
 3,467

Terror in Bridal Lake

"If your attack is going too well, you're walking into an ambush."
— Infantry Journal

6/24/14 4:12pm, Bunker X9

To Celestia it felt as if the temperature in the room just dropped several degrees as any latent magic in the room vanished. She felt around for the edges and the feelers themselves disappeared before finding the edges. She checked her internal magic which didn’t decrease unless she tried using magic. She used a larger burst and watched as the energy dissipated, literally absorbed by the air to be drawn elsewhere. That explained how the fields worked, there would also be no way to take in any energy she used while here either.

To the normal pony who had a small reserve and was used to drawing from the world around them, it would make magic impossible, to the Princess it was just an inconvenience. It would also be much harder to get another creature out of this room as they would have to be enveloped by her magic. She could do it by using more of her reserves than was preferable.

“Blocking magic?” Celestia asked Tow innocently, like a confused foreigner. “I never even knew that was possible.” She lied.

“Purely a safety precaution, we can’t have anyone mysteriously disappearing from this room.” An elderly man in a suit near Tow said.

That must be the man in charge of their CIA, one responsible for the attack. “Are you trying to make me powerless with your guards around?” The Princess made a point of looking at one of the marines with his rifle.

“Not at all.” Tow attempted to ease her suspicions, placing her hands on the table. “As far as we know it doesn’t affect enchantments like you probably have.”

They really are clever. She did have a few special things ready just in case. Time to test out a theory. “How did you develop such technology?” Celestia put on an air of curiosity, tilting her head.

“It is rather new. Something developed from readings on the portal.”

Celestia saw an eye twitch in the President. Lies, and if it doesn’t work on enchantments then it can’t be from the gems.

“Back to the matter at hoof though.” Celestia picked hoof intentionally, she didn’t like that most of the people weren’t talking and hoped to get a reaction. The only thing that happened was a big man looked angrier as the talks dragged on while Tow seemed relax yet nervous. “We cannot proceed further without at least hearing what that man,” She spat the word out, “has to say about himself. “Bring him out so we can speak.”

“After we get the basics out of the way.”

“He is not here is he?” Celestia asked, there was something else going on. Her eyes narrowed at the humans. “Is this all a ploy to try and capture me?”

“If it works.” The fat man started but couldn’t get out more than three words before the President cut him off. “You’ve already shown how hard you are to kill.”

“NO!” Tow slammed a hand on the table. “That is not what this is about.” She held a placating hand up to the alicorn. “We just have trouble trusting you and you surely have about us. Brent refused to meet here but we can still hammer out some basics.”

“We need to also discuss the thousands of people you killed in your attack.” Tow kept the conversation going.

“Most of your soldiers are unharmed and in custody, they will be returned in time.”

“I was referring to the thousands of human lives you took because hospitals were unmanned, the people that died in the riots that followed. Or the ones who died in traffic accidents and couldn’t be rescued or the one who plummeting out of the sky as their plane lost power.”

Celestia could see the same anger in the other leader’s eyes. At the time Celestia could not have predicted the fallout from that attack, but there was no other way to guarantee her ponies’ safety. That thought alone made her ire rise. “I am more than willing to cover that but only if the culprits face justice.”

“And if they don’t?” The fat man asked again. “You lack evidence they were anything other than rogue elements.”

“Then we will continue this war until we find them ourselves. We will weaken you, what will your fellow nations do then? How many would use your weakness to elevate themselves. How many fronts can you fight on?”

“That won’t happen.” Spittle flew from the man’s mouth. “We have a military stronger than the next ten countries combined.”

Celestia returned her attention to President Tow. “Your attack dog needs to learn to control his temper or be muzzled.”

“You continue to threaten us when all you have is one tiny base.”

“A base you cannot touch even with your mighty weapons of war.” Celestia shot back.

The person Celestia figured was a General, who else would dare talk so freely. His looked of consternation turned smug as he checked a device under the table. “We just got word Madam President. The shield is down and our troops are moving in.” He then turned towards the Princess. “We will take our land back if we have to force you off, we have done it before. I don’t care if we have to follow you to Equestria and use nukes. We will win if we have to blast Canterlot. We can safely detonate it through the portal. If you even twitch wrong we can blow it.”

“Do not underestimate my little ponies.” Celestia turned her cold stare to the President. You already did that once.

6/24/14 4:12pm, Bridal Lake

PFC Jenkins had a bad feeling about this as his group walked through Bridal Lake. He didn’t dare voice it; the Sergeant had gotten tired of his superstitions. But he would have felt much safer if they had bombed the whole place with artillery while the shield was down, leave nothing standing that could stop them. One thought did nag at his head, how they got so far. The previous assault had an air component but they also had forces on the ground defending the settlement. The camouflage on the transports might have helped; it was a variation on optical camo.

The ponies they moved past were cowering in fear, more than one had there hooves over their heads. The marines spread themselves with the tanks to make cover easier.

A guard with slit eyes neared their group, Jenkins popped the sights onto its slit eyes while the Sergeant spoke.

“If you impede our progress we will put you down.” The Sergeant pointed his own gun at the potential threat while the rest moved to check for anything using this as a distraction.

The bat thing hung there for a minute before flying off.

Dark clouds in the sky blotted out the sun, bringing night early and began to swirl as the wind kicked up.

“Stay on your toes marines! Expect some kind of defense.”

The sky continued to darken until it was black as sacloth, intermittent lights were spread throughout the area, casting everything in a sickly glow. It put the private even more on edge, he realized it wasn’t them the ponies were afraid of, the air was charged with some kind of electricity. Salt and dry earth cracked and crumbled under boots and heavy tires, the only sound among the wind.

A pegasus rose from research facility, headed straight for the swirling clouds. It was a barely recognizable shape, dark colors clad in silver.

Jenkins knew a little about weather and that was an unnatural formation. The sky had been clear until the shield was brought down, maybe it had to do with controlled weather of Equestria mixing with the wild weather of Earth, the ponies were known for manipulating their own weather. Or maybe this was a magic saturated place, he had no idea what magic would do, did it even come through the portal?

Another idea occurred to the private, maybe this was their line of defense. The swirling clouds were awfully similar to the vortex of the tornadoes back home and that scared him. Tornadoes were unstoppable forces of nature; they would destroy everything in their path and could launch wooden beams through brick walls. So was the pegasus going to help stop the weather or make it worse?

“Jenkins, O’Toole, Aim at the pegasus. Everyone else, move up. We still have a package to deliver.”

Two guns pointed at a single pegasus, that shouldn’t be needed. But he was not going against the Sergeant, not again. Chuck Finnley was a six foot man that made sure to do yoga in front of his squad, hoping some stupid private would comment and give him an excuse for a fight. Jenkins had out massed the red headed Sergeant and was still tossed around like it was nothing.

So Jenkin grabbed the foregrip and raised the his M27 up, letting the sights bring the pegasus into view and aimed center mass. Both his eyes were opened, that was the purpose of the collimator sight. One looking through the sight for the aiming dot and the other used to aim and keep his surroundings in view, the two images would superimpose themselves.

The pegasus looked wrong through his sights. The hooves were shod in silver that traveled halfway up its legs, there was more silver around the neck but he couldn’t see any more of its head than the muzzle. The mane blew against the wind, there were no strands, it was just a mass of midnight blue gas filled with stars. He took a better look at the head, he could see the tip of a horn. His breath stopped. “Luna.”

“What?” The Sergeant yelled. “Men, arm the bomb. NOW! There is no way it can survive that.”

Jenkins heard the activity behind him the running of men, the tanks moving forward, activity over the radio. The only thing that has his attention was the alicorn.

“We all knew this mission could be one way. Just think that we can deliver a blow the other side can’t recover from. Jenkins, O’Toole, so long as it doesn’t move you hold your fire. After that you buy us time.”

“Yessir!” O’Toole yelled.

Jenkins mouth refused to work, he wanted to back away, to run but his feet wouldn’t work either.

The creature lowered its head, and anyone even slightly familiar with Equestrian mythology would have noticed two things about the Princess of the Night. One, she was the one, the ponies were trembling in abject terror from their own leader, they wouldn’t even look at her and more than one was whimpering. The second was the eyes which glowed like slivers of moonlight, black slits like a dragon’s that lay over the aqua eyes. The black body made more sense as it opened its mouth to reveal rows of razor-sharp teeth.

“You insolent foals dare attack her majesty of the night?!” NightMare Moon roared. “You attack and threaten and deceive. But I understand you and you shall pay for such duplicity.”

Author's Note:

was unsure about uploading this, it has been finished for a while. :ajsleepy: But with school and health and apathy, not to mention so much discussions of politics in class which got old faster than expected. Nut somepony decided to ask for more, so here it is.