• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 1,367 Views, 52 Comments

A Life-Changing Blessing - MIKEANTHONY321



Brave Spirit is a lonely stallion who has no one to love or take care of, until he makes an unexpected discovery...

  • ...
5
 52
 1,367

Unpredicted Tragedy (Time-lapse #2)

-Time-lapse: 4 years-

“Rainbow Dash! Come in here and try this on!” Brave Spirit yelled.

An audible groan could be heard from down the hall. A few seconds later, Rainbow Dash trudged into Spirit’s office. When she came into view, Spirit shuddered. It wasn’t because he thought his daughter was ugly, because she was just the opposite of that. It was her bare flank.

Spirit always couldn’t help but to shudder a little when he saw Rainbow Dash’s flank. The normal age for a foal to have their cutie mark is about seven or eight. Rainbow Dash still didn’t have hers, and she was going on fourteen.

“What is it dad? I was trying to listen to my iPod!” She complained.

“I need you to try this on. I can’t test out my flight aid without a test subject.” He answered.

“Why don’t you test it on yourself? I’d rather be doing something else.”

Spirit gave her a stern look. “Because, genius, I’m not a pegasus. I’m doing this for you, and you should appreciate it.”

“Eh…maybe later.”

Spirit swiftly grabbed one of Rainbow Dash’s wings, and held his other hoof up to it threateningly. “Don’t make me do it.”

“No, please! Not that!” Rainbow Dash begged.

Ignoring her plea, Spirit used his free hoof to start madly tickling Rainbow Dash’s wing. Rainbow Dash quickly collapsed to the floor, laughing uncontrollably.

“Ah, stop! That tickles!”

Spirit smiled. “Well of course it tickles. And I’m not going to stop until you agree to try out my prototype!”

Tears began forming in Rainbow Dash’s eyes. She could barely get words out behind the never-ending waves of laughter that forcibly left her mouth and rattled her stomach.

“Gee, it’s amazing how ticklish your wings are! You’d better hope you don’t piss yourself with all that laughter!” Spirit taunted.

“I’m about to! Please stop!” Rainbow Dash laughed.

“Will you try out my prototype?” Spirit asked.

“Yes! Yes! Fine! Just please make it stop!”

As Rainbow Dash said this, Spirit immediately stopped tickling her rather-sensitive wing, and stood up. Rainbow Dash still lied on the floor for a second. Her face was beet red from a mixture of exhaustion and excessive embarrassment. Her breathing slowly relaxed.

“Now, put this on.” Spirit commanded. He held out a light harness with small attachments on the sides, which had a few feathers mounted on the edge.

Rainbow Dash, after standing back up, took the harness from Spirit, and began to put it on. As she did this, she asked him a question.

“Why do you keep doing this? You’ve been working on this thing for like…a decade, and this is only your second or third remake.”

“You do want to fly, don’t you?” Spirit responded.

“Well, yeah, but…”

“Then that’s all the motivation I need. All I really did in life was go to work and mourn about my wife and family. You’ve given me so much more to live for that I can’t even begin to explain it. This is the least I can do for you, Dashie.” He explained.

Rainbow Dash smiled as she strapped the last bit of the harness to her body.

“Could you flap your wings for me?” Spirit asked.

Rainbow Dash did as she was told. When she flapped her wings, the appendages on the harness did so with her, as they were strapped to the wings themselves. Also, there was absolutely no extra wind blowing things around in the room. The only air movement was directly below Rainbow Dash, and nowhere else.

When Rainbow Dash noticed the difference in the feeling, she gasped, and flapped her wings a little harder. She felt a slight lifting sensation, as the force of her wings was countering gravity.

She gasped again. “Dad, I think it’s working! I actually feel lighter!”

“Alright, calm down. This is a very early prototype, so it’s not the strongest structure in Equestria. Let’s go outside, and you can try this nice and easy.”

……………………………………

Rainbow Dash was flapping her wings anxiously, and grinning enthusiastically. She felt as if her whole life was leading up to this moment, so she had a hard time keeping calm.

“Okay, you’re going to take this nice and easy. Remember what I said earlier. It’s just a prototype, so we’re just here to test it out. Don’t do anything too extreme. Got it?”

“Yeah yeah, I got it. Can I fly now?”

Spirit shrugged. “Knock yourself out.”

Rainbow Dash planted her hooves in a ready position. She spread out her wings, and began to flap them slowly. A steady current formed underneath her, brushing the underside of her coat.

After a few seconds of wing prep, she began to flap her wings faster. The current under her grew more intense, and she began to feel lighter and lighter, growing more anxious with each passing second. Finally, her hooves left the ground.

She continued to speed up her wing pattern, making her rise more quickly. Once she got the hang of upward thrusting, she changed her wing pattern to fly in different directions.

She looked down, and saw Spirit looking up at her, smiling warmly. She smiled back, and waved to him. She had to be at least twenty feet in the air.

It felt amazing. She felt so free, flying about in the air without being imprisoned on the ground. She continued to climb, reaching heights of forty to fifty feet.

After she learned the basic movements of up, down, and all around, she began to experiment. She flew upwards, and then swiftly swerved downwards, diving towards the ground. As she dove, she barrel-rolled, and did a lot of sudden curves.

Right before hitting the ground, she swerved upward, and flew in rapid loops once she had reached triple her previous height. She was now flying in altitudes well over two-hundred feet.

She looked down toward Spirit again with a huge smile on her face.

“Dad, this is so fun! I’ve never had so much fun in my entire life!” She yelled.

When she got a closer look, she could see Spirit signaling something to her from the ground.

“What?!” She called.

“Slow down! Not so many tricks! It’s too dangerous!” He yelled back up to her.

Rainbow Dash didn’t really hear him right. “More tricks? You got it!”

Before Spirit could say anything to stop her, Rainbow Dash was back to doing loops and rapid dives and climbs. Words couldn’t express how happy she was, busting barriers through the clouds like a filly with no rules.

During a climb, however, the appendage on her right wing broke. Suddenly, her wing pattern was destroyed, as her right wing was now flightless.

Her climb was suddenly halted, and was replaced with a strong, uncontrollable descent.

“Hey, what’s going on? I’m falling!” She exclaimed.

She looked at her right wing, and saw the broken appendage. She began to panic, realizing that she was now in a somewhat-lethal free-fall.

“Help! Somepony help me!” She screamed.

She screamed at the top of her lungs, and waved her hooves around. Spirit watched from the ground in horror.

“Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow Dash fell through the clouds at an ever-increasing rate. After a grueling several moments of screaming, yelling, and panicking, Rainbow Dash hit the ground with a highly audible thud.

“Holy crap…Rainbow Dash! Oh Celestia, no…” Spirit yelled. He ran to where Rainbow Dash had landed as fast as he could. Tears ran down his face as he ran to his daughter’s aid.

……………………………………

When Spirit had reached the crash site, he was terrified at what he saw.

Rainbow Dash lied unmoving in the grass, still wearing her broken harness. He ran over to her, and knelt down in front of her.

“C’mon Rainbow Dash, wake up.” He said anxiously, slapping her face gently. Rainbow Dash’s eyes were closed, and her body remained still.

“Dashie, come on! Please wake up!” Spirit exclaimed. When there was still no response, he began to cry loudly.

“DASHIE!”

To be Continued…

Author's Note:

Cliffhangers are great, aren't they?