• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 1,367 Views, 52 Comments

A Life-Changing Blessing - MIKEANTHONY321



Brave Spirit is a lonely stallion who has no one to love or take care of, until he makes an unexpected discovery...

  • ...
5
 52
 1,367

Daddy's Love

As soon as Brave Spirit woke up the next morning, he headed straight for the phone that sat on the counter next to the sink. He dialed the doctor’s number, and scheduled an appointment for Rainbow Dash. After all, he had found her in the middle of a deserted park during the pouring rain. He wanted to make sure she was healthy, and didn’t have any permanent problems or deformities.

Somehow, the doctor had managed to squeeze in an appointment for her that afternoon at two-thirty.

Spirit put the phone down, and walked over to Rainbow Dash. She had just woken up a few minutes ago, and was getting a little bit antsy.

He picked her up, and held her in his hooves. He couldn’t see anything wrong with her simply by looking at her. She looked like a normal, healthy pegasus filly without even any freckles or birthmarks. The only part about her that wasn’t normal was her freakishly colorful mane and tail.

Spirit lightly stroked her small, fluffy wings. This made her giggle.

“Oh, so your wings are ticklish? I will make a note of that.” He chuckled.

Spirit heard himself chuckle, and was surprised. He hadn’t heard himself laugh at all for the past several months. For the first time in ages, he actually felt happy.

It was such a blessing to him that he found this colorful filly out in public domain where anyone else could’ve found it first. But…where did it come from? There are no ponies around in this area that Spirit knows that are in any way related to this pony.

He kept asking himself questions. Who are her parents? Why did they leave her? Why does she look so different from everypony else?

Spirit decided to set these questions aside for now, and make some breakfast. He started to get up, but stopped suddenly. What was he going to feed Rainbow Dash?

He picked her up again, and opened her mouth. Sure enough, only gums could be seen inside her young mouth.

Spirit thought for a second. He was pretty sure the only thing fillies her age consumed was breast milk, or formula or something. Well, he could definitely check off breast milk, so formula it is!

He carried Rainbow Dash over to the basket that he had found her in, which was on the kitchen counter. He placed her inside, and wrapped the blankets around her just as they were before. Rainbow Dash panicked, and began to squirm around and flap her wings.

“Don’t you worry; you’re not going to be abandoned again! You poor thing.”

Spirit really felt for this poor filly. She’d been through a lot already, being left out alone and all.

“I’m not going to abandon you. We’re just going out to get some supplies. You don’t have to worry about being left alone ever again.”

Spirit picked up the basket, and carried it out the door, heading for the marketplace.

……………………………………….

Spirit didn’t bother to bring an umbrella. There was only a light drizzle outside, which was supposed to kick off a big thunderstorm around lunchtime. It was quite foggy, and very humid.

Not many ponies were out and about at this time of day. But as Spirit neared the marketplace, more and more ponies could be seen trotting around. The marketplace was always busy.

In a matter of moments, several ponies began to crowd around the basket that Spirit was holding. Many sighs of admiration could be heard as they looked down at the adorable filly Rainbow Dash.

One of them asked him a question.

“How did you have a foal? I thought your wife died.”

“Well actually, I found this filly last night at the park, all alone. Wait…how did you know my wife died?”

The stranger shrugged.

“It’s a small town. Word gets around. By the way, I’m sorry for your loss.”

After a while, the crowd slowly began to dissipate. As Spirit walked around however, one or two ponies would approach and ask about Rainbow Dash from time to time.

Finally, after stopping many times to answer questions and to accept compliments, Spirit found a small shop that sold some things he needed. There were diapers, toys, mixtures for formula, and other handy foal-care items. There was even a small plush toy of Soarin, the famous pony from the Wonderbolts.

“That foal of yours is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!” The shopkeeper exclaimed.

Spirit chuckled.

“Thanks. I keep hearing that.”

“How did she get such colorful hair?” The keeper asked.

“You know, I’m not sure. I found her at the park last night in this very basket.” Spirit replied.

The keeper gasped.

“That’s quite amazing! You must feel very lucky.”

“You bet I do. Rainbow Dash is the best thing to have ever happened to me.”

“Her name is Rainbow Dash?”

“Yes, it is.”

“Well, out of the goodness of my heart, how about I discount your purchases for little Dashie there this one time?”

“Seriously? You’d do that?” Spirit gasped.

“Sure, why not? Just take your pick, and I’ll take twenty percent off your final purchase.”

Spirit stocked up on as much as he could. Everything he thought he would need, from diapers to mobiles, he bought. He even got her a rattle to play with at times of boredom or teething.

He took one last look around the shop for anything else he though was a necessity. Finally, his eye caught the one thing he saw earlier that he knew would be perfect for her.

“Before I go, I would like that plush doll of Soarin you have behind the counter.”

The keeper followed his gaze, and found what he was looking for up in display behind the front counter.

“I’m sorry, but that’s not for sale. It’s very rare.”

Spirit thought for a moment. He pulled out his wallet, and gave her his debit card.

“Please tell me how much I have on that card.” He asked.

The keeper slid the card through the scanner, and looked at the reading.

“You have about a thousand bits in your checking account.” The keeper stated.

“Would a thousand bits be enough to pay for that Soarin plush?” Spirit asked.

“Are you sure? You’d be emptying your entire checking account just for that one item.”

“Rainbow Dash is more important to me than money. I’m pretty confident in my decision.”

“Alright then. It’s your money, so it’s your call.”

The keeper walked over to the display counter, and got the Soarin plush. She walked back to the front counter, and handed it to Spirit. He put it in his bag along with everything else. She then gave him his debit card back.

“Thank you.” Spirit said.

“Good luck with Rainbow Dash!” The keeper called as Spirit walked out the door.

………………………………………

When Spirit walked in the door, he set his big bag of stuff on the floor in front of the door to be dealt with later. He took out the newly-acquired Soarin plush, and held it out towards Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash took it from him, and hugged it close. Spirit chuckled.

“Now you’ll know forever how much your new father loves you.” He whispered.

To be Continued…

Author's Note:

Expect a time-lapse in the next chapter! It’s a fairly considerable one, at that.
This chapter was a little bit rushed, due to curfew. <:( I hope it was good though!