• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 1,363 Views, 52 Comments

A Life-Changing Blessing - MIKEANTHONY321



Brave Spirit is a lonely stallion who has no one to love or take care of, until he makes an unexpected discovery...

  • ...
7
 52
 1,363

The Foalsitting Experience

Rainbow Dash was woken up early by the sounds coming from the hall outside. She sat up, yawned, and rubbed her eyes. “It may be Wednesday, but I actually had the chance to sleep in today.” She grumbled.

Trudging over to the open door, she looked out the hallway and into the living room. There, she saw Spirit dressing for work in his hard hat and boots, and talking to somepony.

With her curiosity peaked, she walked out into the hall, and got a better look. The mare he was talking to was a pink alicorn with a purple, pink, and yellow mane and tail. Her cutie mark appeared to be a heart made out of crystals.

Her jaw dropped. An alicorn? What in Equestria was a freaking princess doing in our home?!

Spirit stopped talking when he turned and saw Rainbow Dash.

“Hey Dashie! Come over here and meet your new foalsitter!” He called.

Rainbow Dash tiptoed anxiously toward the living room to meet her royal guardian. She almost quivered a little as she got closer.

“This here is Princess Cadence. I used to have a friend who recommended her to me, saying that she was really great with foals!”

“I am not a foal! And I don’t need a foalsitter!” Rainbow Dash pouted.

“Oh c’mon, you’ll love her! My friend has a daughter named Twilight Sparkle that just can’t get enough of her!”

Rainbow Dash continued to pout.

“My, aren’t you just the cutest thing ever? I love your mane!” Cadence said enthusiastically. She held her hoof out to shake, but Rainbow Dash didn’t acknowledge.

“She can be like that sometimes. You just have to know how to work around it.” Spirit suggested.

“It won’t be a problem for me.” Cadence replied with a smile.

“Well okay then!” Spirit checked his watch. “Shoot, I’m going to be late! I guess that’s it then, right?”

Cadence and Rainbow Dash nodded.

“Bye! Have fun!” Spirit exclaimed as he walked out the door, closing it behind him.

Not long after the door closed, Rainbow Dash spoke to her new foalsitter.

“Can we have breakfast? I’m hungry.”

This made Cadence smile. “Already? Didn’t you just get up like…five minutes ago?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged, and smiled back at her. Cadence walked into the kitchen to fulfill Rainbow’s request.

Rainbow Dash eagerly followed her into the kitchen, and sat down on an empty seat at the table. Cadence searched the pantry for something sufficient to feed her.

“Let’s see…what do you usually eat for breakfast?” She asked.

“Well, on special occasions, we would have something like pancakes and eggs. But on regular mornings, I’d have something like Cocoa Puffs.” Rainbow Dash suggested.

“Cocoa Puffs are in here. I suppose that’s what you want?”

Rainbow Dash nodded. Cadence pulled out the box of chocolate cereal, and poured it into a bowl that was sitting on the counter. After serving it to Rainbow Dash, she grabbed a carton of milk from the refrigerator, and poured it into a glass, giving that to Rainbow Dash as well.

Rainbow Dash eyed the glass, and frowned.

“Hey, I usually get chocolate milk to go with breakfast.” She mentioned.

Cadence grinned. “Nice try little Dashie, but I know you’re not allowed to have chocolate milk when you’re grounded.”

Rainbow Dash pounded her hoof on the counter, which made her breakfast shake a little. “Drat! So close!”

Shortly after her outburst, both of them burst into laughter. Maybe her grounding wouldn’t be so bad with Cadence around to foalsit her.

……………………………

When Spirit got home, it was already dark outside. His boss was really having him work long hours.

He opened the front door, and saw Rainbow Dash and Cadence playing Go Fish on the dinner table. When they saw him enter, the both rushed over to greet him.

Spirit pulled out his wallet. “Okay, how much did I say I would pay you per hour?”

“Oh, that won’t be necessary. I don’t need to be paid to look after your daughter. The simple joy of spending time with her is enough pay for me.” Cadence answered.

“Are you sure? Today was payday, so…”

“Please, I insist. You can use that money for something more important.”

Spirit smiled. “Well, okay then! I guess I’ll see you at around the same time tomorrow?”

“Yeah, eight-thirty sharp.”

“Okay! Bye!”

“Bye!”

After Cadence left for the night, Spirit asked Rainbow Dash a question.

“Did you guys already have dinner?”

“No. We both figured you’d make it when you got home.” Rainbow Dash replied.

Spirit scoffed. “Please. After today, making dinner is the last thing I want to do.” He walked into the kitchen.

“Wait…so we’re not having dinner?” Rainbow Dash asked, dismayed.

In answer to her question, Spirit picked up the phone, and dialed a number. After waiting a few seconds for them to answer, he said, “Yes, Jets? We’d like to order a large pizza with nothing but pepperoni.”

Rainbow Dash grinned from ear-to-ear.

………………………………

As Spirit and Rainbow Dash ate their dinner in the kitchen, Spirit asked Rainbow Dash about what she thought of Cadence.

“Man, she was awesome! It was like I didn’t even need TV or video games to have fun! We did all sorts of fun things, like cards, and board games, and art! I made this thing in the other room out of various household objects, and I don’t even know what it’s supposed to be!”

Spirit chuckled. “Well, maybe I should ban her to make your grounding more gruesome.” He joked.

“No! Don’t do that! I’ll hate you if you do!”

This made Spirit laugh. “Relax, it was a joke.”

They both took a bite of pizza at the same time. They looked around the room in awkward silence, not noticing the accidental coincidence they had just created.

“So, besides the suspension, how are you doing in school? I heard there’s a big test coming up.” Spirit asked.

“Oh you know, B’s and C’s. Nothing unusual.” Rainbow Dash casually answered.

“See, even though you’re physically challenged, I always knew you were smart.”

Rainbow Dash smiled.

“But you won’t be physically challenged forever. I have a basic idea of what your flying aid will look like.” He added.

“Really, what do you have in mind?”

“Well, the basic structure of it will be like a harness that you would wear. It would be comfortable of course, considering you’d probably be wearing it most of the time. It would attach to the wing part of the device, which would include the extra feathers that you need to fly. I plan on painting it the same color as your coat so that it’s a little more difficult to distinguish.” He explained.

“…Wow. Sounds complicated.”

“And on top of that, I’d have to constantly keep updating it as you grow. You should be hitting puberty within the next couple years.”

“Yeah, I’ve been meaning to ask you…what is puberty?” She asked.

Spirit chuckled. “That’s a conversation for another time.”

To be Continued…

Author's Note:

My apologies on the late update. School's been cracking down hard on the homework recently, so I haven't had much time to really sit down and work on my story. Also, if this chapter seems a little rushed, it's because I was trying desperately to get myself out of the road block that I had written myself into. :D