• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 7,904 Views, 188 Comments

An Apple Scratch toward the World. - Mariacheat-Brony



Best friends/sisters for years, Vinyl and Applejack are about to get their life changed for good

  • ...
16
 188
 7,904

Two interrupted dinners (a rewrite of the Might of an Apple)

Vinyl considered herself a very intelligent woman. She had always gotten straight A’s in school, was given a scholarship in the second best University in the land, right after Celestia’s School for the Gifted in Canterlot, out of which she graduated top of her year. Vinyl thought that, after many discussions with her old teachers in Manehatten and helping her roommate Colgate to write down her thesis in Magic Engineering, she had developed an immunity to migraine inducing conversations.

Then Princess Celestia mentioned the spell she had invented to Twilight Sparkle and Pinkamena Diane Pie, and her head was just about split in two.

Vinyl had heard rumors about the two Council members, and quickly realized how wrong they were. The magical prodigy and the crazy inventor weren’t the two most intelligent women in Equestria. They were the most intelligent people on the planet despite being extremely different from one another.

Twilight was strict and mature, like a girl who had become a grown up too quickly, and Pinkie was goofy and random like a child who had never really grown up, but they had one thing in common. If spoken to about something new and magic-related, the two Council members would ask questions about it. A lot of questions. All asked in very eager, and high-pitched voices.

Vinyl was more than a bit surprised that Pinkie knew as much as Twilight in theoretical magic, and that, much like her dark skinned friend, she was very interested how her spell worked, claiming she would like to create a machine to do something similar one day. Pinkie said she would call it the “Boom-box”.

It was only Princess Luna and Octavia’s intervention that saved Vinyl’s head from exploding because of the so many questions from two Council members, reminding them that Vinyl had had long day of rehearsal, and she might like eat her dinner.

“Gotta say, music girl,” a young woman with rainbow colored hair, sitting across Vinyl, commented with a short nod. “I didn’t think you would hold that long. We’ve seen many university professors faint after only five minutes. Right, Princess C.?” she called the Sun diarch at the south end of the table.

“I must admit that actually has happened more than once, my dear Rainbow,” Celestia replied with a wink, earning a loud laughter from the Councilor of Sports and Ethics.

“Hum...Are you ok?” the woman sitting next to Rainbow, the fourth Council member at the table, Fluttershy, asked in worried murmur as Vinyl was rubbing her temples with both hands.

“I’m fine,” Vinyl assured in a tired voice. “It’s just that four hours of keeping my spell active for rehearsal plus these two...” she nodded at Twilight and Pinkie, who were respectively chatting with her older brother, and eating like there was no tomorrow. “..was a bit too much for my head today.”

“Well, that’s what happens when you rely too much on your only muscle,” Rainbow commented in a joking tone.

“Rainbow!” Octavia chastised sternly.

“My only what now?” Vinyl asked slowly, stopping her massage to cock an eyebrow.

“Well, you must have the same strength as Twilight, who can barely lift a six-pack of water,” Rainbow explained with a shrug. “You being an egghead like her.”

“HEY!” Twilight called in an offended tone. “I can lift a lot more than a six-pack of water!”

“Twily, I think she meant without your magic,” Her older brother, the future groom, Shining Armor remarked with a small mocking smirk, causing his wife to be sitting next to him to giggle softly.

Twilight blinked before pouting sourly. “Without your magic!“ she muttered in an angry snort, crossing her arms.

“Is that so?” Vinyl asked Rainbow with a growing smirk before extending her hand across the table, her elbow resting on it. “Try me!”

The challenge from the blue haired musician caused a small, sudden silence at the table. Rainbow cocked an eyebrow before chuckling and taking Vinyl’s hand, positioning her arm for a good old-fashioned arm-wrestle.

“You’re gonna regret that, Music Girl!” Rainbow said playfully, before pushing against Vinyl’s arm.

“......Sooo.” Vinyl grinned slyly. “When are you going to start pushing?” she asked in a mocking tone as her arm didn’t move at all while Rainbow’s was shaking at the effort.

Rainbow’s reply was to growl while pushing harder, making her opponent’s arm tilt to Vinyl’s right. The musician slightly pushed her arm to restore the statu quo between her and the athlete.

“Now, Rainbow, where is your usual ...swag? Is that what the young ones say nowadays?” Princess Luna asked Fluttershy with incertitude.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Fluttershy said slowly. “Rainbow is the one who knows all those slang words.”

“Impressive,” Celestia commented with a small nod. “It looks like our young Rainbow has bitten off more than she could chew this time.”

“Indeed, quite indubitably, Aunt,” Cadence added while Twilight was mocking Rainbow with her older brother.

“Come on, Dashie!” Pinkie encouraged loudly, waving light blue flags frantically. “You can do it! Push harder! Better! Faster! Stronger!”

“Pinkie, you’re distracting me!” Rainbow snapped, noticing that Vinyl had pushed her hand halfway to the tabletop. “Oh, dammit!”

“While I think that such a game is awfully uncouth, I’ll stoop to your level, Rainbow,” Octavia chuckled when Vinyl slammed the athlete’s fist on the oaken surface. “Hum-hum...In your face!” she declared in a tone that wouldn’t have been out of place in a tea party.

“Ow,” Rainbow let out, massaging the back of her fist after Vinyl had let go of it. “How in Faust’s name can you do that?”

“Farm work is an excellent work out program,” Vinyl explained with a shrug, before going back to her plate, rather pleased with herself.

“You do the farm work manually?” Twilight asked in a surprised voice, stopping instantly her laugh at her friend.

Vinyl nodded before swallowing what she had in her mouth. “Most of the time. I was raised in a full Eponian family, magic isn’t the first thing I think of using for my daily chores,” she explained casually. “Though, it sure helps when we’re behind schedule for Applebuck season.”

“What’s Applebuck season?” Celestia asked with curiosity.

Vinyl’s answer was interrupted by the dining roomdoors’ sudden opening followed by the entrance of a beautiful young woman with curly deep purple hair in a snow white dress that left little to the imagination regarding her figure.

“I apologize for my rude entrance, your Highnesses,” the woman declared in a hurried, and slightly angry tone. “But, I simply must inform you of something terrible that just happened!”

“What’s going on, Rarity?” Celestia asked in a serious tone as everyone’s attention was drawn on the last member of the Council of Harmony.

“There’s been an...incident with Prince Blueblood,” Rarity explained uneasily. “Someone attacked him!”

“Oh, thank Jupiter, I thought something bad had happened!” Rainbow let out in relief.

All the people at the table, except Vinyl who didn’t understand who they were speaking about, cocked an eyebrow at the rainbow-haired girl.

“Don’t look at me as if you all didn’t think what I just said,” Rainbow replied in an annoyed snort.

“We’ve got to admit she’s right, Sister,” Luna admitted slowly while the others at the table shrugged.

“That’s what bothers me the most, Luna,” Celestia commented in a slow, shocked voice.

“That’s not the point!” Rarity said with a firm shake of her head. “Because of him, a poor girl is in the dungeons!”

“A girl?” Twilight, Shining and Cadence stated in shock.

“You mean that the one who attacked Blueblood was a girl?” Octavia asked in a surprised tone.

“I knew he was a wuss, but damn!” Rainbow commented in a loud, mocking laugh.

“Behave, Rainbow!” Luna ordered with a short glare that silenced Rainbow instantly.

“What happened?” Celestia asked the seamstress.

“Well, your nephew the prince was very rude to her..,”

Rarity explained what Blueblood had said to anger the girl to make her snap at him and she easily took care of the guards that went to the Prince’s rescue, earning wide eyes from the diarchs, the captain of the Guard and Vinyl, while the others silently wowed, frowned or blinked at story about how violent the insulted girl had been.

“Hang on…” Vinyl interrupted Rarity’s explanation on how the second and third guards had been knocked out. “That girl… She was about six feet tall, tanned, with blond hair that goes down there…” she pointed at the her lower back.”...styled in a ponytail, with freckles on her face and bright, green eyes?” she asked in a fearful tone.

Rarity blinked. “Yes… How did you know?”

“Yeah, that was my sister,” Vinyl said in a calm sigh.

“Your sister?” Shining asked incredulous. “She’s the one who took out four of my guards?!”

“You can consider yourself lucky she stopped at four,” Vinyl commented as she stood up, earning confused cocking of eyebrows from the majority of the table. “Can you tell me where I could find the dungeons, please?” she asked the Captain of the Royal Guard in a low tone.

“Sure, follow me!” Shining replied with a nod, a bit disturbed by Vinyl’s previous comment.

The two two-toned blue haired Titanians walked out of the dining room, hearing the conversations about what happened between the blonde prince and Vinyl’s sister. Once they were out of earshot of the Council members and Princesses, the Captain turned his head to the musician.

“You don’t seem that much surprised about your sister,” Shining commented softly.

“My sister is the hot-blooded type,” Vinyl explained. “Always was, always will be. It’s part of her charm!” she added with a small chuckle.

“You’re not mad at her?” Shining asked.

“No,” Vinyl assured. “If I had been there, your prince would be deaf by now!” she growled angrily. “No one insults my sis without consequences!”

“Deaf?” Shining muttered with a puzzled frown.

“Not that she would need me of course,” Vinyl explained casually, ignoring the captain’s reaction. “One thing Applejack can surely do is fend for herself.”

“It seems so,” Shining agreed slowly. “Did she undertake a training in the Guard?”

“Applejack trained with a guard in the past,” Vinyl nodded. “Though that was before she actually joined the force. You probably know the guard in question!”

“I hardly know everyone in the Guard, Miss Apple,” Shining replied with a playful chuckle.

“Cloud Kicker!” Vinyl stated, smirking in triumph before noticing that her interlocutor had stayed behind with a shocked expression.

“You know Cloud?” He asked with wide eyes.

“Best friends for nearly sixteen years,” Vinyl replied with a nod as she resumed her walk. “She wrote me about how you gave her some good advice that one time.”

“Yeah, she was a good trainee,” Shining said softly.

“She also told me and AJ about the steamy night of fun you had with her afterwards,” Vinyl said casually.

“THAT NEVER HAPPENED!” Shining shouted in a slightly panicked voice.

“Yeah, I know!” Vinyl chuckled. “But, it nearly happened, didn’t it?”

“I’ll not answer that question!” The captain snapped, a bright blush appearing on his dark cheeks. “...Just don’t let that out!” he demanded in fearful whisper.

“Don’t worry, my lips and AJ’s are sealed!” Vinyl assured with honesty. “Kinda impressive you resisted her charms though,”

“It was… difficult,” he admitted slowly. “But I was in a committed relationship, so nothing would have happened!”

“That’s good!” Vinyl nodded with a small smile. “Are we there yet?”

“Just in the next corridor,” Shining said casually, relieved that the topic of conversation had been changed to a much safer zone.

In the following minute, the two Titanians walked through the door that lead guard post and the cells, finding four guards, free of their armor, treating their wounds. Two had huge bumps on their foreheads, one had a large bruise shaped like foot on his thorax and the last one’s back was being massaged by a nurse with hands glistening with a creamy ointment.

A fifth guard quickly went to Shining to explain him what happened, leaving an unnoticed Vinyl wandering in the cells area. After walking in front of a few empty ones, she stopped in front of a cell in which a tall blonde with a ponytail was sitting, her head looking at the ground.

“Hey, sis,” Vinyl called calmly.

“Hey,” Applejack replied quietly, not lifting her eyes from the ground.

“How are you?” the blue-haired woman asked softly. “Not injured or anything?”

“Of course, Ah’ ain’t injured,” Applejack replied in an un-happy laugh. “It’s me yer talkin’ about, right?”

“True,” Vinyl nodded slowly. “Anyway, how are you feeling?”

“Vinyl, don’ sugarcoat me!” Applejack shook her head. “If yer mad at me, just say it!”

“I would be lying to you if I say it, Big sis!” Vinyl assured. “Dad and Mom raised us so that we never lie to each other!.... Except for surprise gifts,” she added with a warm chuckle, earning a more sincere one from her jailed sister.

“Why ain’t you mad at me?” Applejack asked in an ashamed tone. “Ah made ya look bad and….”

“No, you didn’t!” Vinyl stated firmly. “That girl who witnessed the fight told me what that Blueblood said to you. I understand why you acted like that. He had it coming!”

“Still, it’s yer special moment an’ Ah just keep actin’ like a stupid brute!” Applejack said in a defeated tone. “Even that purple haired girl Ah tried to help ended up being scared by me! The way she was staring at me… Ah’ve never been so ashamed ma entire life.”

“AJ, come on,” Vinyl said softly. “You have nothing to be ashamed of. I saw that girl, she insisted on the fact this Blueblood fella had gone over the line with you after you went to help her. Her voice didn’t sound scared when she mentioned you!”

“Really?” Applejack asked in disbelief, looking up from the ground.

Before Vinyl could answer, the cell’s door shined in purple aura before sliding open, making Applejack blink in confusion.

“You can go, Miss Apple,” Shining said calmly as he walked to the open cell. “Someone pulled the right strings for you.”

“What do ya mean?” the blonde Apple asked with a puzzled frown.

“Let’s just say that Blueblood isn’t really appreciated by a lot of people around here,” Shining explained with a chuckle. “Rarity being at the top of the list, she made sure you don’t get too much problem.”

“Oh!” Applejack let out, a bit shocked. “So, I can just….go?”

“Yeah,” Shining nodded. “Also, Pinkie somehow rounded up the kitchen staff into pressuring Celestia so that she will go easy on you despite beating her nephew up,” he added with a shrug.

“Huh...How exactly did they pull that one off?” Vinyl asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“Princess Celestia’s greatest weakness is cake,” Shining replied casually.

“Cake?”

“Yep, cake!” the Guard Captain nodded.

“Well, if you say so,” Vinyl let out, a lot confused by that revelation about the immortal ruler.

The two Apples followed the Captain out of the cells, finding the guards Applejack had roughened up. The blonde quickly apologized to them with the utmost sincerity, oblivious to the fearful glint they had in the eyes. Shining told the two civilians to go, not without making Applejack promise to keep a low profile, before facing his guards.

“Why did you all act so scared in front of her?” he asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“It was scary, boss!” the guard with a footprint on the chest said slowly. “She flipped me over her shoulder with one arm! Look at the state of my armor!” he pointed fearfully at his breastplate, which was bent toward the inside where Applejack had stomped on him.

“Or, our helmets!” one of the guards with a large bump on his forehead added, pointing at the slightly deformed helmets him and his comrade wore at the time of the fight.

“She knocked us out in less than thirty seconds!” the fourth stated slowly. “I don’t know about you but that’s not what I expect from a farm-girl! That’s what I expect from a monster!”

Shining blinked at that word, remembering a past conversation with one of his friend about a blonde trainee.

~~~~~

“So, Spitfire! Tell me about that blonde girl you’ve been training for a few weeks!”

“Kicker? She’s good guard material! Focused, talented, and rather strong for such a small girl!”

“I never heard you so psyched up about a trainee before! *chuckle* What did she do to impress you like that!”

“Haven’t you heard? She defeated Blossomforth on her first day!”

“Blossomforth?! The daughter of Lieutenant Shields?”

“Yeah!”

“Wow, she’s also from a military family?”

“Not at all, she only trained with a friend before entering in the training program.”

“With a former guard?”

“Actually, no. I asked her, and she answered it was her farmer friend.”

“A farmer?”

“Yep. An unbeatable monster of a farmer, from what she told me…”

~~~~~

“Hmmm,” Shining muttered, lost in his thoughts. “Might be a good thing to gather some things about her, just out of curiosity!”

“Ok, Captain!” the four guards replied in unison.


After having picked a few things up in the kitchens, the two Apples went back to their appointed room. Applejack didn’t feel like dining in the same room as the Princesses and the Council of Harmony, despite Vinyl and the whole kitchen staff trying to tell her otherwise. The blonde Apple had none of it, she stated that she didn’t want anything else than having a quiet dinner on her own.

While Vinyl was busy reading some of her compositions again, Applejack’s dinner was interrupted by a few short knocks at the door. Applejack dropped her spoon in her half eaten bowl of lamb stew, and went to open the door, revealing a purple-haired woman in a white dress.

“Good evening,” Rarity said with a good natured smile.

“Evenin’,” Applejack whispered in a shocked surprise. “Huh...Why are ya...here?”

“Well, I was thinking you deserved a proper introduction,” Rarity explained, extending her hand toward Applejack. “Rarity Belle, pleased to meet you, Miss Apple!”

“Pleased to meet ya ...Ah guess,” Applejack replied with an awkward shake of hand. “Hummm.. Ah was told ya kinda helped me out.. so Ah want to say thanks!”

“You sort of rescued me from an unpleasant conversation earlier, so we’re even now,” Rarity commented softly. “Actually, we’re not really even. I still owe you for putting Blueblood in the place he was supposed to be sent long time ago.”

“Yer not pissed?” Applejack asked with wide eyes.

“Not really.” Rarity shook her head. “I admit that I was a bit … Well, a lot startled by the tour de force you pulled off against the guards,” she admitted sheepishly.

“Ah’m sorry about that,” Applejack whispered in a low, ashamed tone.

“Oh, it’s ok!” Rarity assured quickly. “You had every right to be as angry as you were back then. He was atrocious with you!”

“Well, maybe he was, but Ah shouldn’t snapped like Ah did and Ah know it scared ya,” Applejack argued softly.

“Like I said, dear, it’s ok!” The council member smiled softly. “Anyway, I said I owed you for being rough on Prince Blueblood’s pretty visage,” she said with so much venom in her voice that Applejack was surprised the purple-haired beauty wasn’t suffering from poisoning. “And, I’m not one to not clear my debts.” She glanced at the blonde with a spark in her eyes. “I’m going to make you a dress!”

“What?!”

“You heard me!” Rarity beamed. “As a thank you for teaching that ruffian some manners, I’ll make you a dress for the wedding!”

“Ya...Ya don’t have to!” Applejack said quickly. “Ya already bail me out of the castle cells apparently,” she added with shame. “Ya don’t need to do anything else for me!”

“Why, Darling I insist!”

“No need! Ah look awful in a dress anyway!”

“No, you don’t!” Vinyl shouted from her bed, her eyes still focused on her music sheets.

“Vinyl, silence!” Applejack snapped at her sister.

“You wish!” Vinyl replied with a chuckle.

“As Ah was sayin’!” Applejack faced Rarity again. “Ya’ve done enough for me, and Ah’m sure ya have many more important things to worry about with the wedding so close!”

“But,...”

“Please, ya need no thankin’ me for what Ah did!” Applejack shook her head sternly. “Ah want no gifts for actin’ the way Ah did!”

“Well, I suppose I can understand that,” Rarity admitted in a deflated voice, before staring at the farmer in the eyes. “Since you don’t want to me to make you a dress as a thank you, you’ll accept you letting me make you a dress as an apology for scaring me earlier!” she claimed with a small smirk.

Applejack blinked twice. “Ah’ll accept what now?”

“Well, your earlier, beastly, but quite impressive, display of pure, muscular violence was way too much for the delicate flower of a woman that I am,” Rarity let out in a pained voice, dramatically resting the back of her hand on her forehead while slightly stumbling backwards. “You simply must make it up to me by letting me create for you!”

“Wowowow! Hang on there, Missy!” Applejack called in shock. “Ya said that ya were okay when Ah apologized!” she nearly shouted.

“Why, a lady is prone to sudden changes of hearts, Miss Apple,” Rarity dramatically explained. “I didn’t expect you to turn away my offer, why anyone with good fashion sense wou...OH!” she gasped in a sudden realization. “You don’t like my designs, do you?” she asked with a tear-full glance.

“Huh,” Applejack replied, taken aback by the sudden question about fashion. “Ah have no idea what yer designs looks like actually.”

“Oh! So you’re part of those who thinks that I’m way too young to do the work I do, aren’t you?” the noble asked, sobbing softly. “That I have no talents, and that it’s thanks to my family’s money that I made this far?”

“Huuh…”

“I just wanted to be nice with you, and that’s how you’re treating me!” Rarity put her face in her hands, weeping louder every second.

“Ah..AH..” Applejack stammered in shock. “F-fi-fine! FINE! Ya can make me that dress if ya want to! Just stop cryin’, please?” she asked.

“How splendid!” Rarity faced the farmer, beaming brightly with tears completely absent on her face. “Meet me in my workroom at half past sixteen tomorrow so that I can take your measurements.” she eyed Applejack from bottom to top. “You’re a bit taller and sturdier than the women I’m used to work with, but I bet you’re going to be fabulous!” she added eagerly.

“What?” Applejack blinked in total confusion.

“Well, I bid you, and your sister a good night! Oh! One last thing!” Rarity said while extending her forefinger to wipe the corner of the farmer’s mouth. “You had a bit of gravy on your mouth, it’s been bugging me since you opened the door,” she explained sheepishly, before glancing at her now slightly gravy-coated finger tip. “Is that some of the lamb stew which you gave the recipe to Allez Cuisine today?” Applejack nodded in silence before Rarity put her finger in her mouth to taste the sauce. “It was delicious!” she commented happily before turning away from the door. “Goodbye, Darling!”

“.......Goodbye then.” Applejack whispered softly, staring at the white dressed beauty going away for a few seconds before closing the door. “What just happen… Why are ya starin’ me like that?” she asked when she noticed Vinyl’s red eyes looking at her in angry, and wondering frown.

“I’m trying to decide if I should be mad at you for letting a perfect stranger doll you up when you’ve been ignoring my ten years worth of attempts to do so,” Vinyl explained slowly. “Or, If I should be mocking you for falling for her little dramatic show.” she remained silent for a short moment. “I think I’m going for the latter.”

Applejack replied by tossing one of the chair’s cushions at Vinyl’s face, taking her by surprise and making her fall off the bed.

“Definitely the latter!” Vinyl muttered from the floor on the right of her bed while Applejack went back to her bowl of stew, grumbling between her teeth.

Author's Note:

Hey, how you doing?

Here's the fifth part of the rewrite, what do you think about it?

A big thank you to G3k0771 for finding the time to edit my (quite numerous) mistakes! ^^

I hope you enjoyed it!

Stay tuned for what's next.

Mariacheat-Brony