• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 2,444 Views, 97 Comments

The Midlife Crisis of an Extra-planar Being - The DM



Zircom is bored with life. After hearing hundreds of bard's tales, all he wants to do now is find an adventure of his own. Where his adventure will occur is a mystery. Zircom doesn't know, nor does he really care.

  • ...
6
 97
 2,444

An Adventure in Tactical Withdrawal

“Hello Zircom. I hear you’ve been having quite the adventure.”

I managed a grin as I let my head rest on my forearm. “Yeah, quite the adventure indeed.” I took a look around the room again, making sure I remembered every detail. “So Luna, what is this room? It feels like it was tailored for a dragon.”

“That’s because it was. We use this room whenever dragon ambassadors are visiting.”

“That… makes perfect sense. One other thing, how long have I been out?”

“Only three days; my sister teleported you here shortly after the attack. Do you remember anything that happened in Ponyville?”

“Yeah, I remember it all. Everything up to and just after resurrecting Shining Armor. Speaking of which, how is he doing?”

“He’s doing well. Princess Cadance has been coming by here every day to thank you for saving him. Shining too has been checking on your condition daily.”

“Wow, I didn’t think that I would garner so much attention just for casting a resurrection spell.”

“Well Zir, it was much more than that. You took a risk to save somepony you barely knew and had no obligation to. You single… handedly captured the attackers, prevented any civilian injuries, and then revived a fallen guard captain all in about twenty minutes. That is much more than most ponies can claim to have done in their entire lives.” Luna was now sitting on a cushion next to me.

“When you put it like that… yeah, I can see how it might make me some new friends.”

Luna laughed at this. “So I take it you are feeling better?”

“Yeah, quite a bit.”

“Good, then I can go to bed knowing that you are alright.” She then got up and placed the cushion back in the corner pile.

“Well I might just have to steal that idea. I’m still tired as all hell.”

“I can imagine. Sleep well Zircom.”

“You too Luna.”

With that I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

~~~

It was a few days later that I had finally really woken up. With some time and help I had managed to fully recover from the backlash of reviving Shining Armor. I had engrossed myself in an adventure book from the shelves. It was an exciting story about a Pegasus who dove into ancient tombs searching for lost treasure. As I reached the half-way point in the story, the doors to my temporary residence opened to reveal Celestia and Luna. They both casually walked in and closed the doors behind them.

“Ah, good…” I looked up at the skylight to determine the time of day, “evening you two.” I then marked my page and set the book down.

“Enjoying a Daring Do book?” Luna said with a slight laugh.

“What? It’s an entertaining story.”

“I’m sure it is.”

“So what brings the two of you here?” I quickly changed the subject, wanting to steer away from my literary choices.

Celestia then spoke up, “Well, we just wanted to check up on you. You’ve been asleep for three days.”

“Yup, and what a wonderful three days it was.” I let out a massive yawn. “So how are the others? I take it Shining is doing fine?”

“Indeed. Everyone is fine…”

I just looked at the two of them. “Alright, I’ll bite. What did you find out?”

Celestia sighed. “Not much yet, only that the Diamond Dogs were contracted by a pair of Griffins. One of them said he overheard the Griffins talking about their employer, someone named ‘The King’.”

I let out a small growl. “Well that’s useful. I take it all three have been cooperative?”

Luna couldn’t contain her smile. “Oh yes, all three were quite convinced that you would come and eat them if they didn’t talk. We only had to use that threat once.”

“Well I’m glad I could be of service. Anything else?”

Both princesses shook their heads. I sighed and set my head on my forearms.

“Since you seem fine I’m going to bed. It’s late, and I’ve had a long day. Goodnight.” Celestia said with a yawn.

“Goodnight Tia.”

“Night Celestia.”

With that said, the solar princess teleported in a flash of light.

“Flashy.” I said with a chuckle.

“She does have a taste for the dramatic.”

“I would have said it was lazy.”

“That too.”

We both shared a laugh at Celestia’s expense for a moment.

“Ya know, I think I’ll go out tomorrow. I’ve been cooped up for almost a week now.”

“I don’t blame you. There is a large open courtyard just outside that you can use.”

“Sounds perfect.”

“Well then, I have work to do. I’ll see you tomorrow Zir.”

“Alright, see ya later Luna.”

She too vanished in a flash of light.

“Spell casters.” I said with a laugh as I picked up my book and continued reading.

~~~

It was a lovely day out. Not too hot with a gentle breeze. I was happily laying on the grass reading the second book in the Daring Do series. I found myself oddly engrossed with the story, even though it was targeted for a much younger audience. Still, it was a very enjoyable story.

“Excuse me, you’re in my way.” A pretentious voice broke my immersion.

I looked around for the owner of the voice. Sure enough, there was a white unicorn standing to my left with a very
disgusted look. I just stared at him for a moment, then to my left, then to the right, and finally back at him.

“So then go around me. There’s at least a hundred meters on all sides.”

“Do you know who I am!?”

“Nope, and I am quickly not caring. In fact, I’m not sure if it is possible to care any less than I do right now. Oh wait, now it can’t go any lower… wow, it just keeps dropping… strange.”

“Why I… I am Prince Blueblood, and I don’t have to move for anyone. Now, you are still in my way and I order you to move.”

“Aww, that’s adorable. The extra thirty feet to walk around me will do you good; you look like you could use the exercise.”

He was now fuming with rage. “You dare insult ME!”

“Tell ya what cupcake, you can either walk around me, or you can stand there like a dumbass all day. I really don’t care.”

He was now red with rage as he stammered for words before turning around and walking quickly back into the castle.

“What a fucking looser.” I said before returning to my story.

Eventually my mind began to wander. I wondered what my friends back home were doing. Rubrick was probably just dicking around at the college, Jorven was… well… I don’t know what he does during the day, Gimble was probably still asleep from last night’s performance, Malen was most likely still drunk, and Neltharious could be building some strange new war machine. Yeah, I have good friends.

Eventually this train of thought was interrupted, this time by Luna. The sun had just set and twilight had set in as the princess of the night walked up.

“If you keep showing up like this, people might begin to suspect things.” I said with a chuckle.

“They can suspect all they want, it doesn’t make it true.” Luna seemed worried about something.

“I suppose. You okay? You seem a bit distracted.”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Has it been quiet around here?”

“Quiet? Well… yeah. Other than that prick Blueblood coming by, yeah… why?”

“Blueblood came by? Did he say anything?”

“Other than demanding I move, no.”

“Hmmm… strange.” Her gaze suddenly became downcast; something was troubling her.

“Umm… Luna, what the hell is going on?”

“That’s what I am trying to piece together. I haven’t seen any of the guards nor my sister since I woke up today. I was wondering if you might have noticed anything… unusual.”

I pondered her words for a moment. “Unfortunately no. Blueblood was the only other person I saw today… and what do you mean you can’t find Celestia?”

“I mean just that, I can’t find her anywhere. It’s like everypony is just… gone.”

“So then, do we want to go find Blueblood and ask if he’s seen anything today?”

Before Luna could answer, the doors to the courtyard opened and out walked Prince Blueblood and well over a hundred guards, all in formation.

“Ah, there you are Princess Luna. I was wondering where you had gone off to.” Blueblood’s tone was one of confidence and arrogance.

“What is the meaning of this Blueblood?” Luna was now sounding irate as she glared at the prince and his assembled troops.

“This? This is me taking what is rightfully mine. I am taking the throne as Equestria’s ruler, that way nopony can question me nor disagree with me. Everypony will have to respect me.”

“Woah, woah, woah… let me get this straight… you feel that no one respects you because you don’t have power?”

“Exactly! At least one of you gets it.”

“Dude… they don’t respect you because you’re a total ass.”

“What!”

“Everyone hates you because you’re kinda a pretentious dick to everyone.”

“How dare you speak to your king like that!”

“Look… I could literally kill you all right now. So why shouldn’t I?”

“I doubt you would want to hurt your friends. Right?”

With that, a group of guards walked forward with Celestia, Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, and Rainbow. All were shackled and had various restraints on their wings or horns.

"Now Zircom, why don't you and Luna just come quietly, that way I don't have to hurt the others."

"You're fucking insane, you know that right?

"Well, I had to take a drastic step after the Griffins failed me. It's all your fault that I had to change my plans.

“So you're 'The King'? Dear Bahamut, you vain little fucker.”

“Now then. Is there anything else you would like to say before the two of you are sent to the dungeon?”

“Yeah, one thing. See you later fuck face.” Before any of his guards could react, I put a hand on Luna and activated the ring Rubrick had given me. In a flash and a pop, we were gone.

Blueblood could only stand there dumbfound, looking at the space we once occupied.

“Find them now! They can’t have gone far! Take the others to their cells.”

~~~

It was mid-day at Candle Keep. A few wizards roamed the courtyard during a break in their studies. The calm of the day was broken as a magical energy filled the air. With a flash, fizz, and a pop, Luna and I materialized. Everyone was stunned by the sudden arrival of a huge dragon, but thankfully no one did anything stupid. I quickly glanced over to one of the students.

“You, yes you. Go get Professor Rubrick. Tell him Zircom needs to see him now.”

The frightened mage quickly nodded and ran off. Luna looked up at me in confusion.

“Zir, where are we exactly?”

“Luna, welcome to Faerun. Specifically the College of Candle Keep. This is where my whole adventure began.”

Luna just nodded. "I still can;t believe it... a castle full of guards, and Blueblood just does away with them... how did he manage such a feat..."

"Not sure, but I'm sure we will find out later, for now though, lets just meet with Rubrick and go from there."

Rubrick wasted no time coming to us teleporting in just a few feet away.

“Well Zircom. How’s your trip? Get tired of looking for new planes?”

“Oh I assure you I have had an astounding success. Professor Rubrick, meet Princess Luna.”

Rubrick then turned his attention to the indigo alicorn by my side.

“Dear Bahamut Zircom, you actually did it… I can’t believe you really did it.” He then looked up at me sternly. “You must tell me everything that has happened.”

“Of course, that’s why I am here.” I then shifted into a human form and walked with him and Luna into the college. We quickly found ourselves in his office. I then proceeded to recount my story, telling him of my arrival, integrating into their world, and eventually the coup that had just occurred.

“I see… so this… Blueblood, he took the throne and ousted both Princess Luna and Princess Celestia?”

“Correct.” I responded. Luna just sat silently as I told my tale.

“I’m curious, if this Celestia is as powerful as you describe her to be, why didn’t she just wipe him off the face of the planet?”

“I suppose she would have wanted to avoid a fight. She doesn’t seem to be one for direct physical conflict.”

“I suppose… but still, I can’t help but wonder.”

“My sister has always been one for words, but when it came to actual physical conflict she would often leave that to me.”

“Interesting, your methods sound like night and day.” Rubrick then thought about what he said. “And I just realized what I just said.” He then laughed, “I’m so damn funny… now then, you intend to retake the capital and secure your nation quickly and quietly. Am I correct?”

“Yes you are, that’s why I am here. I need your help… again.”

“Of course you do Zircom, and this time, I will do it for free. Although, do you know who you would want to come with us? I doubt the two of us would be all that effective.”

“I have an idea. I was thinking of getting the guys. Ya know, Jorven, Malen, Gimble, You, maybe even Neltharious.”

“Hmm… so you want a vengeful half green dragon, a drunken dwarf fighter, an obnoxious gnomish bard, a brilliant wizard, and an eccentric engineer?”

“Yup, that sounds about right.”

“Well then, we better get ahold of them all.”

“I can get Jorven, Malen, and Gimble. They all hang out at the same tavern.”

“Alright, then I shall inform Neltharious of his newest assignment… NELTHARIOUS!”

A moment later a tiny copper dragon popped out of a hole near the ceiling.

“Yeah, what’s up?” Neltharious replied.

It would be a good time to explain that while he is indeed a dragon, he is only a hatchling. At five years old, he is not bigger than a house cat. The most distinguishing feature was the tiny pair of goggles over his eyes.

“We are going on a trip to help Zircom. I need you to pack your things.”

“Now, when you say ‘we’ do you actually mean ‘WE’? As in… you AND me?”

“Yes Neltharious, I do mean we.” Rubrick was face palming and shaking his head.

“This is so cool! Are we gonna go slay a demon? Do we get treasure? Do we get to save the world!?” His excitement was visible as he began running around on the ceiling. Being a copper dragon, he has a natural spider climb ability.

As Rubrick was about to chastise him for his over enthusiasm, I cut him off. “Well, kinda. We are going on an adventure to save a kingdom from an oppressive king and rescue the princess who was wrongfully locked away in a dungeon.” That was all he needed to hear. It looked like he was about to explode from sheer excitement and joy.

“I’ll pack my things!” and with that, he shot back into the ceiling. The sounds of metal scrapping and other heavy objects moving about could be heard.

Luna had the most puzzled look on her face. “What… is he… exactly…?”

“He is what’s called an Artificer. He can combine magic and technology into a very potent form. His favorite thing is making these things called Warforged. Basically mechanical beings.”

“Interesting… and you said he is only five?”

“Yup. He acts like a child… because… well… he is one.”

Rubrick then got up from his desk. “Well then. I suppose the two of you are off to Waterdeep to get our remaining party members?”

“Yeah, we should be off. Thank’s again Rubrick.”

“No problem. Oh, and before you go. How did the ring work?”

“Oh the ring, yeah, it worked great. Got me out of quite the bind.”

“Glad to hear it. Make sure to tell Neltharious that, after all, he built it.”

We said our goodbyes and headed back to the courtyard. It was noon now, as the sun was directly overhead with some light clouds dotting the sky. I dropped my shifted form and reverted back to my normal size.

“Well then. The flight there will take us a better part of the day. We should arrive around dusk if we don’t get delayed.”

Luna nodded and spread her wings. “Alright then, I’ll follow you.”

“Great.”

With that, the two of us took off toward Waterdeep in hopes of finding a group that could best a small army. I know Jorven would go with us on principle alone; the other two would likely have to be bribed. However, being a dragon and having a sizeable hoard does help when it comes to offering bribes. Gimble is a musician and loves being at the center of attention. I could probably buy him some new and exotic instrument from Equestria. Malen just loves getting to fight things. If I offered him a bunch of new things for him to smash with his axes, I’m sure he would join us. All that was left was to organize our dysfunctional little group and retake Equestria from the clutches of a madman. Should be easy enough.

It was nighttime when we landed in Waterdeep. I shape shifted just outside of town. Not because I was afraid of the populace, but because it is a courtesy for dragons to tone down their size before entering the streets. Luna and I proceeded to walk through town and toward the tavern. Luna was astounded at the city and its inhabitants.

“Well Luna, welcome to Waterdeep. It’s possibly the only dragon-friendly city on this continent…”

Author's Note:

Alright lads and lasses. The next turn in this little story arc. Almost all these new faces are characters the I or a friend played in various campaigns. I'm just going to say that some parts of upcoming chapters are not going to be exactly by the rulebook. There will be minor DM bullshit to progress the story, for I am the DM and my word shall be law.

Anyway, another fun piece of info. The National Holidays (Part 2 & 3) have been rewritten, it might be worth it to go back and re-read those sections. Totally optional, but it would be my personal recommendation.

Now for some fun. The first person to name the alignment of each Chromatic and Metallic dragon can have his or her OC or DnD character inserted into a later chapter.

So, questions, comments, concerns, things you liked, things you disliked, haiku poetry, throw em in the comments section below.

Dont forget to rate. That green bar with the numbers fuels my ego. Yes, I am a shallow person like that. Dea with it.