• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 1,416 Views, 24 Comments

Dinky's curiosity. - somepony1



Dinky Hooves is always top of her class, excelling in athletics, and for some reason she has two hearts.

  • ...
1
 24
 1,416

The Biology lesson

It was early in the morning as all the young fillies and colts were just waking up and getting ready for school. Some were complaining that they didn't want to go to school, some were pretending to be sick, while the others were all excited that school is starting soon. One little unicorn filly in particular has mixed feeling about school these days, as she finished the book she was reading. After smelling the scent of muffins baking; the young filly ran downstairs and was greeted by her mother.

"Good morning, little muffin" said the walled eyed Pegasus mare, "did you sleep well last night?"

"Yes mommy, I had slept very well last night" the filly lied. In reality the young filly only got one hour of sleep last night, mostly due to the fact she was looking at the stars and couldn't fall asleep. Despite form only having one hour of sleep she was wide awake and full of energy. "So what kind of muffin are we having for breakfast?"

"Blueberry!" the walled eyed mare said enthusiastically.

At that moment a purple unicorn walked into the kitchen and said.

"Good morning Derpy," she said to the walled eyed mare, "good morning Dinky," she said to other unicorn in the room.

"Sparkler, how many times do I have to tell you, you can call me mom." said Derpy.

"I'm sorry, Der- I mean mother, it's just that I'm not used to having a mother."

"It's ok Sparkler, it's best for you to get ready for work." Sparkler nodded in agreement and looked at her babysitting schedule along with her shift's at Raity's Carousel Boutique. Ever since Rarity became a famous dressmaker she had hired Sparkler to help her with her orders.

After the muffins were done the little family had their breakfast. Once done Derpy grabbed her mail bag and her mail hat a flew off. The youngest unicorn grabbed her saddle bag and left with her older sister to school. Once the sisters had gotten to the school sparkler waved goodbye and went off to work.


"Good morning everypony," said the school teacher, Cheerilee, "today we are learning about biology."

Somepony in background raised their hoof and asked, "Ms. Cheerilee what dose bi-o-lo-gy mean?"

"Good question, well biology is the study of living things, now who can tell me how many heart's douse a pony have?"

The majority of the class laughed at the silly question as the answer was very obvious.

"By the look of things you all know how many heart's we have but to be sure how many do we have Sweetie Belle?"

"One, ms. Cheerliee."

"Correct, now lets tal-" ms. Cheerlie was interrupted once she has noticed a hoof in the background, "yes Dinky, do you have a question?"

"Yes ms. Cheerlie, is it possible for a pony to have two hearts?"

At that moment the majority of the class erupted in laughter not just by the fact that it was a silly question but the pony whom had asked it.

"CLASS," Cheerlie yelled to gain the attention of her class. "I would like you to respect other pony's questions. And Dinky, the answer is no, nopony has two hearts though some animals have more than one heart, for example manticores have three. Now moving on who her-"

As the class continues Dinky didn't pay attention instead she sat there in deep thought. Until the bell rung that signaled recess.


During recess Dinky was in deep thought about what she learned in class.
If everypony has one heart then why-

"Hey look it's two heart blank flank." said the young silver school bully followed by a statement from her best friend with a tiara on her head, "Maybe your special talent is asking stupid questions."

"Oh please, would you two leave me alone today."

"O is little Dinky, our class top student is starting to dull down." said Diamond Tiara.

"Could you two leave me alone today I have some things to think about."

"Like how you have no father?"

"Don't you ever bring him, my mom told me that he is dead."

"That's what they all say, to cover up the fact that they have run away."

"Can you two please leave me alone, I don't have time for any of this."

"Fine we'll leave you alone today, mostly due to the fact that you have already made fun of yourself during class."

As the two school bullies left Dinky alone somepony yelled "LOOK OUT" as a hoofball came flying at Dinky. Time slowed time for Dinky as she looks at the ball it was coming at her slowly. Slow enough that she put her hoof up and caught the ball just in time.

"Nice catch, Dinky can you pass it over?"

With a nod Dinky was about to pass it over but then saw the two bullies walking dangerously close to a mud puddle that was made by the rain the other day. Of course throwing the ball at them will get her in trouble but in an instant she saw a way where she can throw the ball the fillies and colts playing hoofball and get the two fillies into the mud puddle. Grinning to herself Dinky though the ball at the group whom were playing hoofball. As it lands it bounced up and two of the colts went to grab it only to knock into each other. One of them in a dazed went sideways causing him to bump into some filly attempting the loopy hoop only to drop it while in mid loop causing it to roll down a small hill. Somepony noticed it and tried to grab it only to bump into somepony else who was about to though a baseball only to miss her target and thrown it at the direction of the two bullies. Somepony else yelled out to them "Watch out!" the two fillies both notice the baseball coming right at them in an attempt to dodge it they both tripped over each other and fallen into the mud pool.

Everypony whom heard the splash look at the two, now dirty, fillies and began to laugh. It didn't help for the fact that those two landings in the mud ended up on to the foal free press and became a laughing stock for the whole week. Despite it for only being an instance Dinky saw this whole future happening in one second.

"That was a good throw you did there," said one of the colts walking over to her laughing, "plus you got those two fillies into the mud. I must say that incredibly lucky or very skilled. Either way I still don't understand how you are very athletic and yet don't try out for the any athletic team, why is that?"

"I just have that much time," said Dinky "plus I'm not really into sports."

"Are you sure? I mean it could be your special talent."

"Trust me I've tried before it's not my special talent, can you please leave me alone I've got things to thi-"

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG*

The school bell ringed signaling end of recess. Dinky sighed and decided to think about this later.


Later that day Dinky went home where nopony was home. So she went to her room and sat there to think. As she was sitting there Dinky took a Deep Breath and held her hoof over her chest to hear her heart beat.

THOMP thomp THOMP thomp

She then took another deep breath and moved her hoof to the other side of her chest to hear the impossible truth.

THOMP thomp THOMP thomp

She then took her hoof off her chest and started wondering.

If everypony had one heart then why do I have two?

Author's Note:

Something that has been on mind for a while so I decided to write it down but first to clarify things.

First this story is going to take a while to update as I'm a slow writer and I have a LOT of school work to do.

Second this has been written to improve my writing skill's so feel free to point out anything that I or Ginger(my spell checker) has missed.

Third I'm getting most of my info from here: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Gallifreyan_physiology

Forth The only time I usually have time to write is late at night so I tend to do some slip ups so Pre-readers are welcome.