• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 2,250 Views, 47 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 11: Parents' Day - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor heeds Applejack's request and has the TARDIS take them to July 6, 996, a day that changed Applejack's life forever.

  • ...
5
 47
 2,250

Prologue

Doctor Whooves: Episode 11
Parents' Day

Prologue

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Summer, 996 C.E.

Applejack's muscles tensed as the TARDIS came to a surprisingly smooth stop. This was it. They had arrived. Applejack had thought about this ever since she began her adventures with the Doctor. Now it was a reality.

"And here we are!" said the Doctor with a smile. The suited stallion was a bit confused by Applejack's reaction. He expected her to smile or give off some form of happiness. But the only feeling he got from the earth pony was melancholy. The Doctor was beginning to become a little worried. Whatever this event was, it was apparent that it certainly wasn't something Applejack was happy about.

"Are you okay, Applejack?" Rainbow Dash asked as she approached her friend. Applejack remained silent. She turned towards the TARDIS doors and strolled out, leaving the others in an awkward silence.

Twilight was the first to exit the TARDIS after Applejack. The blue box had landed on top of a hill overlooking Sweet Apple Acres. It was early morning and the sun had just risen past the edge of the horizon. The air was surprisingly cool for a day in the middle of summer. Applejack was looking over the vast orchard. Her eyes scanned the trees until they came across the small farmhouse sitting off in the distance. It looked pretty much the same way it would look in 1002. Twilight looked out upon Sweet Apple Acres. Twilight felt strange. She had traveled into the past before but she had yet to visit Ponyville prior to her arrival there. The farm and orchard didn't look that different from what it would look like when Twilight would first arrive in Ponyville four years later, but there was one feature about the farm that stood out like a sore thumb. A little ways off from the main barn and farmhouse, there stood a tall, silver grain silo. It rose high into the sky, even surpassing the height of the barn.

"I don't remember that being there," Twilight stated as she pointed towards the grain silo.

"That's because it was...taken down before you arrived in Ponyville, Twilight," Applejack sighed. Twilight was puzzled. What was wrong with her friend? The others walked out of the TARDIS and the Doctor proceeded to close and lock the doors behind them.

"So what are we looking for?!" asked an excited Pinkie Pie. Once again, Applejack refused to answer the question. She simply gave another sigh before taking off down the hill. "Applejack! Wait!"

"What on earth is wrong with her?" Rarity asked.

"I wish I knew," said the Doctor.

The group followed Applejack until she came to a halt a little ways away from the farmhouse. A group of ponies were working outside. One of the ponies was instantly recognized as the younger, 16-year-old Big Macintosh who was heading out to begin plowing the fields. Granny Smith was sitting on the porch, rocking back and forth in her rocking chair.

"Make sure to come back for lunch, okay!" Granny Smith called to Big Mac.

"Eeyup!" Big Mac called back as he headed out into the fields.

"Applejack, what's going on?!" Rainbow hissed.

"I'll explain in a moment!" Applejack whispered back. Suddenly, the door to the farmhouse opened and out trotted the 13-year-old Applejack.

"I'm gonna go help Big Mac out in the field!" Applejack the younger called as she ran off after Big Mac.

"Okay but make sure to head into town later and pick up some vinegar for me!" called an unfamiliar, female voice from inside the house. Applejack bit down on her tongue at the sound of the voice. The voice was unfamiliar to everypony else in the group aside from Applejack. The sound of crying began emanating from inside the house. A mare walked out through the front door. She had an orange coat, a red mane, and a cutie mark that consisted of three apples: one red, one green, and one yellow. She was holding a crying, 1-year-old Apple Bloom in her arm. "It's okay, Apple Bloom! It's okay!"

"Do you need some help?" Granny Smith asked.

"I would appreciate that very much."

The mare handed Apple Bloom to Granny who proceeded to rock her back to sleep. The mare let out a great sigh as she sat down on the porch next to Granny's chair.

"I don't know where I'd be if you weren't here, Granny," the mare said with a smile.

"You'd be relying on my son most of the time," Granny snickered.

"You say that as if it's a bad thing," quipped a stallion who had just emerged from the doorway. He was a tall, muscular stallion with a light green coat similar to Granny's, a yellow mane, and a cutie mark that consisted of a single apple tree. "Celestia forbid that you get help from your husband every once in awhile!"

"Oh shut up, you," the mare teased as she stood up and kissed the stallion on the cheek. The stallion pulled away at the last second and began heading off towards the grain silo.

"Ah better hurry! Ah have to get a few bags of grain sorted out before ah go meet with the Mayor this afternoon!"

"No need to be a such a hurry, Johnny Apple!"

Johnny continued off towards the grain silo. The mare sighed as she sat back down on the porch.

"Why don't ya go help him, Emily?" Granny asked. "Y'all could use some alone time away from the baby."

"Maybe you're right. I'll go see if he needs any help with the grain. Maybe I could ask him out to go see one of the new films being shown at the theater. Would you mind looking over the farm tonight with Bic Mac and Applejack?"

"Don't worry. Ah don't mind."

"Thank you. You're a great mother-in-law."

Emily stood up and kissed Granny on the cheek before running after Johnny. Applejack stared out towards the field where her past self and Big Mac were working. She then turned towards the farmhouse where Granny was continuing to cradle the sleeping Apple Bloom. She lastly looked to see Johnny and Emily walking off towards the grain silo together.

"Okay, Applejack! I want answers now!" Rainbow snapped.

"What's happening today that's so important?" Trixie asked.

"And just who were that couple? I've never seen them before," said Pinkie. Applejack sighed as she turned back to face her friends.

She took in a deep breath before saying, "Johnny Apple and Emily Apple are their names. They're my parents...and...this is the day they died."